You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #52 - Escape

Avaruussaha

The theme I came up with is escaping. It could be a quiet, sneaky escape, or a desperate dash to safety, or whatever else comes to mind.

Any instrument or style goes, at least one minute in length.

The deadline shall be December 3rd.

edit: Extennnssionn, waiting several days at least.
edit2: Concluded

nice theme idea!

Jacob31593

nice theme idea!

Hmm I think I can actually

BigHeadClan

Hmm I think I can actually make this one!

huu I hope I can join this

Brody

huu I hope I can join this time. Sounds interessing :)

This gave me a silly idea for

Basisti94

This gave me a silly idea for a song. I hope I will have time to finish it. Got a tons of uni stuff in next few weeks.

i'll make a drawing!!

soundsandstuff

i'll make a drawing!!

Sounds good, and stuff!

Avaruussaha

Sounds good, and stuff!

bumping so this doesn't drop

BigHeadClan

bumping so this doesn't drop off the face of gametabs... muwahahahahah

Its trying to escape =(

Avaruussaha

Its trying to escape =(

I'm too busy with recordings

hashel

I'm too busy with recordings to work on an original song now, sorry :(

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Tune Contest Entry

Deaugustino

Here is my tune, which I've called Clearescape.

I should get my entry

Basisti94

I should get my entry finished tomorrow or during the weekend. Warning, it's bit silly :P

Hmmm the deadline seemed so

BigHeadClan

Hmmm the deadline seemed so far away and I had all the time in the world,
now it feels like it's tomorrow and there's never enough time. lol

Well, having at least 3

Avaruussaha

Well, having at least 3 entries would be good. And a drawing.

Ive tried coming up with something myself too, for the fun of it, but Im having serious trouble even getting started.

Hi guys, this time I made it

Brody

Hi guys, this time I made it to finish a song for the contest. Well it's pretty fast, I think it could be a nice escape theme.
Escape

(No subject)

soundsandstuff

i finished the drawing! my scanner wasn't up so i took a photo instead, i tried to upload it directly to the site now but was having a few issues i think because of the recent worm attack, but in the meantime i'll post the url. click it before it escapes! hehe

http://turtles.quarplet.com/GTtunecontest52wreckingescape.png

Haha kinda looks like Natsu

BigHeadClan

Haha kinda looks like Natsu from FT.

That's a pretty rocking tune you have Brody. Kinda reminded me of the original power rangers opening at one point :D

Few Idiots On The Run So,

Basisti94

Few Idiots On The Run
So, here's my entry. It's about small group of idiots who decided to peek in the girl's locker room. Unfortunately, they got caught and are now running for their lives.

Anyone wishing they had a few

Avaruussaha

Anyone wishing they had a few more days, or shall we close up tomorrow? BigHeadClan?

Still working, haven't spent

hslesperance

Still working, haven't spent much time on it yet. Will try to have it done in the next couple days.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

I haven't had much time to

BigHeadClan

I haven't had much time to work either, hopefully finish flushing out things in the next day or so.

If no carry on without me.

Aye, waiting some more, for

Avaruussaha

Aye, waiting some more, for now

Yeah I'm not going to get

BigHeadClan

Yeah I'm not going to get this done in time, I'm working late tonight XD

I'm setting the deadline to

Avaruussaha

I'm setting the deadline to saturday, since at friday I wont be around at all. And that is, after Im done with the most likely hangover.

7th of December, Ill try to wrap it up in the evening (europe time).

just wondering

SixStringDealey

i'm kinda new to the site and these themed contests seem pretty cool! is there a post somewhere with general guide-lines for entries? like, would a midi be acceptable, or are these strictly for recordings?

i ask because sometimes i write songs with power tab in a manner that sounds good, but is stupidly hard or literally impossible to play in places (frets in the 30's, chords that have notes 12+ frets apart, etc.). simulating various instruments on a fret-board, like string sections, wind instruments, percussion and the like. basically, i wish i had an orchestra (or way more frets / strings xD) at my disposal, because some things just won't work on bass/guitar.

but yeh. if midi's are acceptable, i might have some interesting things to submit in the future. :P

Re: just wondering

Basisti94

I have ever only posted a single recording, which was terrible, so yeah midis are fine. I would recommend using an actual midi orchestra rather than power tab though.

oh, cool. i'll start paying

SixStringDealey

oh, cool. i'll start paying more attention to these, then. xD

i could probably do some more precise/interesting things with other programs, but i'm comfortable with power tab. then again, i should get in the habit of layin' down some drum tracks. power tab definitely lacks, there. but i don't know a single scale or how to read music, so relying on the bass/guitar neck + tabs is typically ideal. xD i suppose those programs have midi import functions, though. maybe i'll look around~

Yeah, powertab isn't good for

hslesperance

Yeah, powertab isn't good for drums. If you want something similar you can try tuxguitar http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/download.html

It's also a guitar tab program, but percussion is simpler to use; just click the percussion box on an instrument. I also like using the reverb controls, which is actually in powertab, but doesn't seem to work on there. The reverb doesn't show up in a midi though, you need to export a wav, then convert to mp3 (wav files are too big).

----------

Just watched a movie with a

jit

Just watched a movie with a chase scene done with music with just the piano. I decided to try it and here's what I got fiddling around with the piano roll.

Chase

Hide!Came up with the intro

hslesperance

Hide!

Came up with the intro piano chords for the race / chase contest, but never worked on it (and as the host couldn't make an official submission). It was originally meant to be about someone getting chased by a monster, but the end product makes me think of a jewish person hiding from nazis. 0:12-0:22 the violin kind of sounds like Luigi's Mansion.

----------

Deaugustino -

Avaruussaha

Deaugustino - Clearescape
Quite relaxed track, I guess its more about the time after getting out of harms way

Brody - Escape
Wow, this really pumps me up! The solos in the beginning give out a bit goofy vibe but the heavy rhythm during and after keeps telling me not to look back, just run for your life.

Soundsandstuff - Drawing
I remember getting the first Ape Escape when it came... I never got far in it, the dual shock controls and not understanding english (yet) were too much for the young me. I played Spyro instead!

Basisti94 - Few Idiots on the Run
Peeking in the locker room eh? I imagine something like an opening scene of a movie, where the main cast is "introduced" one by one during the opening track, while running away from ferocious broom-wielding girls.

Jit - Chase
Racing against the time, and someone set the metronome to unfair levels. Quite strong sense of urgency!

Hslesperance - Hide!
For some reason this reminded me of the music that plays in the end stretch of FF8, at the castle (The Castle, what a coincidence :P). Lots of strange things around that are better left alone, so, hide and sneak!

Turns out the theme choice is very similiar with #41 (Race / Chase), and it seems Brody has a really solid sound for this kind of stuff. I really like how all the submissions are completely different, although that makes deciding on some set factors quite hard.

Grats Brody, your track had the sense of danger that decided it for me this time!

Yeah, Brody is great at

hslesperance

Yeah, Brody is great at energetic songs. You wouldn't happen to have written any boss battle music would you, Brody?

jit's sounds a bit comedic to me, not sure if that's what you were going for, like something in a black and white silent film.

----------

Wow I'm not expected this,

Brody

Wow I'm not expected this, the other songs were also realy great. And thanks hsl, your right a boss theme would be realy cool. Maybe I should start making one (or two, or three...^^)
I think about the new contest, I will post it later today or tomorow. Maybe I should make it a boss theme (but then I couldn't join with a song :D), maybe mystery or christmas, let's see what it would be^^
And realy congrats to everyone, you were great!

Congratulations Brody !

hashel

Congratulations Brody ! Really energetic, love those rock'n roll guitar licks !
Really good job to Jit too !

@Soundsandstuff & @Brody, can i use your drawning and song for the gametabs youtube channel please? =)

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Thanks hashel and yes you

Brody

Thanks hashel and yes you can^^

Re: Congratulations Brody !

soundsandstuff

yup hashel you can use its! sorry for delayed reply i just read this post haha