You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #51 - Forest

hslesperance

The theme is Forest. This can be adventurous, mystical, dark and spooky, whatever your interpretation is.

At least one minute
Any style or instruments

Due November 14

Noice topic

BigHeadClan

Interesting, probably won't have time for submission. But if I can I will!

FOREST

auriplane

FORESTFORESTFORESTFORESTFORESTFORESTFORESTFORESTFORESTFORESTFORESTFOREST

Coincidentally, I gots to write me a forest song. Forest, forest, for-est...

----------

Auriplane!!

In-hindsight... I kinda wish

BigHeadClan

In-hindsight... I kinda wish it was warmer out, I have a little patch of woods in walking distance that I could play in.

May try it anyhow, see what I get on a semi-nice day

i did a set of 7 songs

tiger child

i did a set of 7 songs earlier this year all themed around a fox in a dark forest. and i've done some video game tracks forest related. FORESTS, MAN WHY ARE THEY SO INSPIRING.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Can this Forest be completely

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

Can this Forest be completely burned to the ground and covered with dead bodies?

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

If that's what it takes to

hslesperance

If that's what it takes to make you happy

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Not sure if this will be my

jit

Not sure if this will be my final entry, but here's an attempt. Can't say I'm not happy with it, but to be honest, I was going for a more festive and upbeat song and somehow ended up with this lol. Song is about elves and the camaraderie to protect their homeland, as well as showcasing their pride of their race and "roots."

Family Roots

Re: Not sure if this will be my

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Very nice piece, Jit!

----------

"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you."

@jit

BigHeadClan

I thought it was pretty epic jit/

Well I guess that's the price we pay for the music we write. Rarely are we satisfied with our own work, and when we are the world only seems to hate it.. lol

Re: @jit

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Too true XD

----------

Tune comp entry...

Deaugustino

Well, here is my tune which is titled Entwine.

Liked the darker/mystery vibe

BigHeadClan

Liked the darker/mystery vibe ya had going Deaugstino well done sir!

Only 2 entries so far >< although both are great. Come one submissions!

My entry

Basisti94

Here's my entry, titled Foliage. Think I'll start using soundcloud for these too.
I had written this calm forest theme for solo acoustic guitar over a year ago, so I went and re-worked that.
Not entirely satisfied with the sound of the midi cello at the start, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.
This is the first time I've tried out pizzicato strings.

The start had me thinking you

BigHeadClan

The start had me thinking you where going to rip off temple of time from Zelda OoT. lol

Still well played sir, hopefully more entries coming :D

Oh no! I'm not going to make

auriplane

Oh no! I'm not going to make it in time...

----------

Auriplane!!

Do you want an extension? And

hslesperance

Do you want an extension? And is this song for Snailiad 2?

----------

I'm finishing up the new

auriplane

I'm finishing up the new Snail Town ^-^

----------

Auriplane!!

Submission: Forest Theme

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Alright, here's my entry (I know the title is generic, but bear with me!). Forest Theme

----------

so i thought i'd have time to

tiger child

so i thought i'd have time to sneak in a new recording, but it is seemingly highly unlikely now. so if no one minds i'll throw in a track i did alll the way back in may. it is about a forest, after all. it was part of a soundtrack i was doing to a movie...that doesn't exist. whomp.

Forest Grows in the City

----------

-brick road

Out of the lurking hole

Avaruussaha

Walking in Circles

Wanted to chip in with something, its still 13th somewhere around the planet. Beware the stock HALion. Although it makes the piece sound a bit more retro I suppose.

Looped once, so nothing new after the first 1:03.

Welcome to the forums

hslesperance

Welcome to the forums Avaruussaha!

Is this your channel? If so nice arranging/playing, maybe you could post the tab if you still have it.

So is anyone else finishing a song? auri?

----------

Dang

BigHeadClan

@tiger_child
Great work sir, the opening could have been drawn out a bit longer but the whole thing is awesome.

@Avaruussaha I agree with hslesperance, really catchy tabs would be awesome if you have some.

Nice to see so many submission :D

Indeed thats me. Will see

Avaruussaha

Indeed thats me. Will see about uploading the Myung theme tab, dont have much more than that. And fitting to the theme I've worked on Forested Temple from FFVII, arranging it for single guitar using a spider capo, but that monster keeps begging for editing every time I open it...

Really liking the variety we have between all the entires!

Re: Dang

tiger child

@BigHeadClan thanks! yeah, it's a track from when i was writing/recording a new track every day. so often things didn't get real time to flesh them out and really see their potential.

the two week continuity where i plucked that track from can be a nice listen. feel free if you like.
https://soundcloud.com/starlightbuffalo/sets/week-20
https://soundcloud.com/starlightbuffalo/sets/week-21

----------

-brick road

Damn not a bad tune in

BigHeadClan

Damn not a bad tune in week-20, will have to listen ta 21 later. For now I must game

hello! i'm late but here i

soundsandstuff

hello! i'm late but here i made one anyway hehe

Dawn of a Forest

@soundsandstuff

BigHeadClan

I really love that opening, got tabs for it? :D

Nice. This is a really good

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

Nice. This is a really good theme!

Diggin' the entries, especially the orchestral pieces.

Jit, your's is striking me because it sounds reminiscent of Star Ocean: The Second Story's OST.
This song in particular :-) but maybe it's just me because I love that game!

EDIT: WOW.. I just realized that the next song on the OST is the one Star Ocean:tss song I tabbed. Trippy haha

Ahh Star Ocean 3 had such an

BigHeadClan

Ahh Star Ocean 3 had such an epic OST. Hmmm I should probably post the tabs for a few of their songs that I have.

jit - Dante must have stolen

hslesperance

jit - Dante must have stolen your festive mojo for his song. But what you made is well-written, both pretty and inspiring. 0:53 - 1:23 is a bit weaker than the rest, not bad, just not sure what mood you were going for there.

Deaugustino - Kind of creepy. I like how it doesn't feel too structured even if it's in 4/4, makes it sound more natural and flowing.

Basisti - I try to write a melody for each instrument in my own stuff, so I'm not a fan of songs where one instrument mimicks another; both the pizzacato and cello match the guitar from 2:05 onward. And the cello could have been louder than the guitar. But, overall a very pleasant and relaxing tune. The part from 1:08 to 1:30 makes this place seem sacred, or has an important history, or maybe that's just bigheadclan's comment about the song of time making me think that.

Dante - I'm a sucker for songs that feature prominent triangle. Fun song and a little childish (I mean that in a good way) like some young kids are exploring the forest.

tiger_child - As you know I've already listened to your 365 day project so this isn't new for me. A beautiful eruption of hope at 0:39. Fire-fly Path in the Forest is actually my favorite from those two sets; figures that it's the one you spent the least amount of time on, huh. Sometimes simple and restrained is best.

Avaruussaha - A nice debut. Kind of makes me think of Faron Woods from Twilight Princess a bit, although not quite as brooding.

soundsandstuff - A most wonderfully rendered song and a comeback from our former contest artist. And with live performance, I almost forgot we were on a guitar site. Very chill and unique take on the theme.

You guys aren't making this easy to decide. So I'll just say that Avaruussaha's is the easiest for me to listen on loop without getting old, making it good BGM for a game. That makes you the winner and you get to pick the next contest theme. Congrats Avaruussaha!

----------

@ Avaruussaha

BigHeadClan

Congrats you had a very solid piece, hope to see you around!

Also not sure if you are aware but because you won the contest you get to host the next contest. You can make it about anything you want and put whatever restrictions you want in it, although I don't recommend making it to challenging or else no one may be able to write anything. lol

Oh, nice! Guess Ill have to

Avaruussaha

Oh, nice!

Guess Ill have to do some research on previous theme choices first. The previous deadlines seem to be between 2 to 3 weeks, is there some common guideline to that?

2-3 weeks usually minimum 1

BigHeadClan

2-3 weeks
usually minimum 1 minute
song submitted can't be from another entry

That's pretty much it.

All contest themes and

hslesperance

All contest themes and winners are conveniently located here http://www.gametabs.net/forum/topic/21919

----------

woohoo! congrats Avaruussaha

soundsandstuff

woohoo! congrats Avaruussaha and fellow entrants! BigHeadClan I will make you a tab, and Hsl thanks hehe. I know I haven't made some in a while, but I would like to make more tune contest art again if the universe permits it hehe

here you are BigHeadClan:

Dawn of a Forest Tab (txt)

midi

GP5

Congratulations,

Deaugustino

Congratulations, Avaruussaha(as well as to everybody else who entered).

Re: woohoo! congrats Avaruussaha

BigHeadClan

Awesome thx for the tabs, love that intro & want to see what I get if I play with it.... hmm just slightly dirty sounding.

Thanks tho!