You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

So I did it.

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

Caved in a bought a Kemper. Priced match it over at Musicians friend and got it for 1500$ + I get 150$ store credit. That really was the breaking point from it's original 1900+ price tag.
That and the axe being 2300$ So saving nearly 800$ was awesome!!!!!

Worst part? Im soooo busy with school. Stressed out of my mind doing 3 days of nonstop work just to keep up I wont get time to play it!!!

Also im doing an art contest over at DA.

http://giogiogio4.deviantart.com/journal/

Busy Times

BigHeadClan

Busy times are busy for all I guess, I'm going to be hitting 65-70 hours this week because half my team is on vacation.... Will I have time to right for the tune contest?!?

Should post pics and a recording once you get that smexy axe though.

Re: Busy Times

Giogiogio4

BigHeadClan said

Busy times are busy for all I guess, I'm going to be hitting 65-70 hours this week because half my team is on vacation.... Will I have time to right for the tune contest?!?

Should post pics and a recording once you get that smexy axe though.

Oh i can't wait. made room on my desk for it. By make room I dragged my night stand next to my desk and put some wood across it. Lol

Im sooo busy. Taking some of those online classes at my school. Well there isn't any teacher and everything is automated. So I stay up like 48+ hours each week nonstop trying to do my math class. Its like 30 sections a week and then they throw 2 or 3 quizzes in a week with a test at the end Plus all the work. its almost impossible to remember anything you do because your constantly being thrown new information! I can't backtrack 1 bit. it's killing me. And thats just 1 class. times that by 3. I had to quit my job for the entire semester just to barley be behind.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Guh so glad my dad is an

BigHeadClan

Guh so glad my dad is an engineer, high level math courses suck especially online ones. It even my old man was scratching his head for a good chunk of it. lol

Speaking of making room on desks... I really gotta get a new one myself, I'm thinking mahogany dinner table. :D

It's such an awesome unit.

Giogiogio4

It's such an awesome unit. Played it a bit tonight before It distracted me from homework.
It's an amazing feeling playing it compared to pod and zoom stuff. Until i touched this thing
i would have never known how lifeless the emulated stuff feels. It's hard to describe... It's like the strings
are directly connect to the tone coming out. It's weird, almost like my guitar strings just feel different all together. ( in a good out of body experience kind of way ). I guess that's what they meant by "feel of an amp" and "dynamics" .

The Lights on this thing are crazy, it will hypnotize you. and DAMN you can make them bright as fuck.
The case is all metal. This thing is hard as fuck, real quality. wish the nobs where metal as well.
Menus are cool and they change the screen color depending on what section your in. Tons of great basic
effects we all know. Love the organ preset on this thing XD. And damn Keith Marrows stuff sounds awesome.

I got to get around to taking some photos or something.

----------

Dang crazy, I know I'm not

BigHeadClan

Dang crazy, I know I'm not over the top impressed with how my Zoom G5 sounds and don't really want to drop $900-1200 but I must say this is an interesting toy.

Get some recordings when you can!

There are a ton of raw sound

Giogiogio4

There are a ton of raw sound clips online as well.
Heres a few from some dude selling a few profiles.
I myself got to play around with it a bit before I start recording some new covers with it.

----------

They also have some software

Giogiogio4

They also have some software that lets you save your cab impulses to use in the kemper.
And let you have effect presets and download them.

Massive step up from the zoom. Zoom always had this thin sounding effect to it.
It just couldn't get that amp in the room feel. Glad i upgraded tho, i saved up forever for something.
I was going for the axe fx but 800$ cheaper and better overall tone because well it depends on real amps for sound
got me. The company has a good track record of supporting their products. One of them got like 15 years of support.

Who knows maybe one day i will crack and go look for an effects unit XD

----------

Awesome

BigHeadClan

Yeah I fell into the trap and dropped $300 on the G5, not horrible and I may one day make crazy use out of it. But probably my worst purchase to date for guitar stuff.

Still cool to hear they stand behind their stuff!

I'm going to get something like Rolad Guitar Synth I think. I'm way to lazy to get a keyboard and learn how to play it and I write all my music on guitar pro anyhow, so it would probably be easier to transcribe if nothing else.

Sounded really nice in the store and even with the guitar/pickup it's not to shabby a price.

Oh and the Rec + engle cab

BigHeadClan

Oh and the Rec + engle cab sounds sick :D

Re: Awesome

Giogiogio4

BigHeadClan said

Yeah I fell into the trap and dropped $300 on the G5, not horrible and I may one day make crazy use out of it. But probably my worst purchase to date for guitar stuff.

Still cool to hear they stand behind their stuff!

I'm going to get something like Rolad Guitar Synth I think. I'm way to lazy to get a keyboard and learn how to play it and I write all my music on guitar pro anyhow, so it would probably be easier to transcribe if nothing else.

Sounded really nice in the store and even with the guitar/pickup it's not to shabby a price.

Fisherman made a midi system for guitar. its close to the roland stuff. many people had luck with it and some don't like with all midi systems.

it's just the pickup and it wirelessly connects to the computer.Skip the whole pickup and pedal system that roland does if you have stuff on your computer you rather use.

The Best system is Graphtechs stuff by far is still. It takes more work to install though. but it works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VbFIpRNnqSI

----------

That's a cool alternative for

BigHeadClan

That's a cool alternative for sure, I'll have to look into it more. Midi may not sound great, but I may be able to run a plug-in that Dante showed me.

Re: That's a cool alternative for

Giogiogio4

BigHeadClan said

That's a cool alternative for sure, I'll have to look into it more. Midi may not sound great, but I may be able to run a plug-in that Dante showed me.

Biggest problem with Midi on guitar is picking up the correct note. Guitar strings tend to change pitch ever so slightly. Roland and fishman do the normal pickup route.

graphtech uses Piezo pickups and a onboard chip. Since Piezos are actually connected to the strings that pick up the vibration instantly. So there is a little install work to get everything up an running for that system though. They also have an acoustic system that makes your guitar sound like an acoustic.

----------

well.....

BigHeadClan

Well my Godin (who owns/makes fishman) has an under the saddle mic, and a pezio in the bridge. So whether it will impede or help is something worth looking into.

Probably impede, but I'm gonna look into it.

Re: well.....

Giogiogio4

BigHeadClan said

Well my Godin (who owns/makes fishman) has an under the saddle mic, and a pezio in the bridge. So whether it will impede or help is something worth looking into.

Probably impede, but I'm gonna look into it.

----------

Heres my Amp, took a quick

Giogiogio4

Heres my Amp, took a quick video to show the lights

----------

Ahh the colors >< looks like

BigHeadClan

Ahh the colors >< looks like theres a boat load of stuff to play with as well.

Re: Ahh the colors >< looks like

Giogiogio4

BigHeadClan said

Ahh the colors >< looks like theres a boat load of stuff to play with as well.

Heres a quick sound test.

I literally did nothing to the file. took me no work at all to get a good sound.
Just pans and a little eq to make room for the bass ( Electric guitar > Bass guitar preset on the kemper ).

----------

Some tasty sounding highs you

BigHeadClan

Some tasty sounding highs you have, I imagine it will only sound better once you get fine tuning down.

Re: Some tasty sounding highs you

Giogiogio4

BigHeadClan said

Some tasty sounding highs you have, I imagine it will only sound better once you get fine tuning down.

I plan on getting some decent headphones and a Focusrite VRM whenever i get my cash back. So until then I won't really take the fine tuning too seriously XD. Forgot about all the boost and tube screamers on the unit as well.

I need to get myself a book on mixing.

----------

I don't know about a mixing

BigHeadClan

I don't know about a mixing book, but FamilyJules7X has a really solid tutorial on how he does mixing up on youtube.
Recording Guide Pt2 Couldn't find part one in his list but I'm sure it's around.

Well if your looking for solid Headphone for down the road I'd recommend something that is Open ear styled from Sennheiser, Shure or AKG. Personally I love both set's of Headphones I have from Sennheiser so I'd start there, $120-$200 can get you some amazing pair that sound great for everything.

Getting these ones to go with

Giogiogio4

Getting these ones to go with the VRm
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/krk-kns-6400-studio-headphones

Or i will skip out on the VRM and get these

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustica...

I want to get this book
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240815807/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_...

I have the PDF somewhere.....

----------

I haven't tried either

BigHeadClan

I haven't tried either headset in person but those Beyerdynamic's are smexy, they give me Sennheisers a run for their money and are cheaper then when I got mine. I just hope you have a DAC or other type of interface to plug them into your computer, the on-board audio won't be able to drive those properly.

Re: I haven't tried either

Giogiogio4

Focusrite VRM has a headphone amp in it.
Plus I own a Emu 0404 sound card with all the spdif,optical,1/4th jacks.

----------

Well played sir, I'm not

BigHeadClan

Well played sir,

I'm not huge on USB soundcards and I can't say I'm familiar with EMU but it looks like a solid little thing.
A bit pricey for what you get but it's portable, something I wish my Xonar Essence STX could do...but then again I'd also risk trashing my headphones. lol

Re: Well played sir, I'm not

Giogiogio4

BigHeadClan said

Well played sir,

I'm not huge on USB soundcards and I can't say I'm familiar with EMU but it looks like a solid little thing.
A bit pricey for what you get but it's portable, something I wish my Xonar Essence STX could do...but then again I'd also risk trashing my headphones. lol

Emu 0404 PCI card is the one I own. No USB thing.
http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/images/emu0404.l.jpg

The VRM is a virtual environment sim. So It can generate a In room feeling when using headphones. Plus it allows you to change the virtual speakers and so on.

----------

Hah

BigHeadClan

Hah guess I was looking at the wrong version of it, the VRM bit is nifty but I can't say I'm huge on simulating room experiences for the most part. But I also never really sat down to really dial in my settings on my Soundcard for it.

Then again I'm fortunate to have my sound-card running into my Onkyo receiver and that is powering my 5.1 set-up, so I really only use my headphones for mixing and first-person shooters. lol

Re: Hah

Giogiogio4

well you don't want to mix music with headphones. Having the left and right completely separated is counter productive. Sound in the real world blends together when the speakers cross. Something you can't get from just headphones alone.

Plus having many different environments helps you reference how it sounds. Having a great mix in one place doesn't mean it sounds great everywhere else.

----------

Hmm I've heard both it's good

BigHeadClan

Hmm I've heard both it's good and bad to mix with headphones... so I just use both. lol

Re: Hmm I've heard both it's good

Giogiogio4

BigHeadClan said

Hmm I've heard both it's good and bad to mix with headphones... so I just use both. lol

you record and track with headphones. You mix and eq with speakers.
You don't pan and mix tracks with headphones because 50% to the left doesn't exist
in the same way 50% to the left does with speakers.

Left and right Audio bleeds,bounces and connects with speakers before reaching your ears. Headphones everything is cut off from the left and right. Plus having the speaker right on your ear doesn't realistically emulate how sound travels and interacts with the air.Headphones can add more bass and mids and sound more muffled because the sound has nowhere to escape to. This will end with bad choices in Eqs. hence why reference speakers and locations are important to a good mix.

----------

Re: Hmm I've heard both it's good

BigHeadClan

I see, I didn't think of the 50% left/right panning but it makes sense. As for headphones adding mids/bass whatever I could argue that the type of speakers you listen to also effect how the sound is heard.

My JVC's sitting beside my desk have a pretty flat response since they are 25+ years old, but if I grabbed a pair of Kilipch's tomorrow they would have a large frequency response.

But in a sense I guess the story's about pro. mixers using the worst possible speakers they can find makes more sense.

50% to the left doesn't exist

auriplane

50% to the left doesn't exist with speakers either, BTW.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: 50% to the left doesn't exist

Giogiogio4

auriplane said

50% to the left doesn't exist with speakers either, BTW.

50% to the left exist with speakers because the sounds blends with the right before reaching your ear.

It also exist if you have MORE SPEAKERS. Ever heard of having a speaker between the left and right? Or having a speaker halfway between the middle speaker and right speaker?

The whole concept of surround sound was invented Ages ago...

BTW

( Yeah that's how you look like a smart ass and fail at it. What great Input that was, you totally pushed the conversation forward and didn't just look like you were butting your nose in trying to sound like a know it all.)

----------

Why the hostility? If you

BigHeadClan

Why the hostility? If you think something is wrong you try and correct it, if Auriplane started call you an idiot & ripping on you because you (may) have given miss-information that's another matter.

So let's chill yeah?

The point is that 50% left is

auriplane

The point is that (with stereo speakers) 50% left is not a physical thing. It's a virtual thing. It doesn't correspond directly with a position between the two speakers, and your brain doesn't perceive it in the same way it would perceive something mic'ed in stereo in that position. Any time you decide to pan, you're making a tradeoff and saying you want the associated disadvantages because of some perceived advantages. (I think the example everyone brings up is spot tom mics, usually. You know panning sucks, but sometimes it sucks less than not doing it.)

It's useful information to have, and it's one of several reasons that a lot of professionals mix almost exclusively in LCR (left-center-right, no panning).

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Why the hostility? If you

Giogiogio4

BigHeadClan said

Why the hostility? If you think something is wrong you try and correct it, if Auriplane started call you an idiot & ripping on you because you (may) have given miss-information that's another matter.

So let's chill yeah?

There was no Hostility, You read how you want to. I was being a Smart ass right back Hench the Robot chicken video.

Got around to recording a little bit. Can't believe how much easier this is. Before i would have to make so many layers double tracking,loading cabs,eqing and compressing to get anywhere. Now I just turn the eq nob on the tone a bit, hit record and just pan and volume. Tone comes out full and no need of double tracking. It's a god send on my CPU.
Now When I get time I will go back and rerecord some of my old stuff. 2.0 of my page is upon us.

----------

I thought we were all

Hakoria

Laon King

I thought we were all sophisticated enough to be using headphones so no reason for sound-engineering-for-speakers debate.

I could have sworn you were

CpxAzn

Lurker

I could have sworn you were convincing me at some point that the kemper wasn't worth it.

Anyways, congrats on the purchase, I actually got one like two years ago for $1500 - Chase New Customer Cashback (Spend $500 get $300 back) = $1200.

I like it a lot, unfortunately I haven't been playing guitar this past year or two due to work and league of legends.