You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #50 - Nostalgia

Basisti94

So my theme of choice will be nostalgia. Try to evoke those sweet nostalgic feelings you get from be it grandmother's apple pie or whatever. It can of course mean different things for different people.

Requirements:
Minimum Length: ~1 minute
Instrumentation: Whatever you desire

Due date: 21.10 (Extension if needed of course)
I guess it's best to have it after weekend.

8D

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Challenge Accepted!

----------

"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you."

nice theme for this tune

BlackFox

The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears. The thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!

nice theme for this tune contest! also on the 50th one. looking foward to listen the submissions.

----------

Im not afraid of darkness. Im not afraid of death. Im not even afraid of those monsters. The only thing that I fear is, being all alone...

I think I can get some solid

BigHeadClan

I think I can get some solid work in this time around, lets go!

Re: I think I can get some solid

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

I hope so!

Just realized that there is no due date!!

----------

Basisti94

That's a very good point :P

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

There we go! :-D

----------

whomp whomp

tiger child

i gave myself about an hour time limit while i was watching something to do a track because why not. sloppy as all get out. but here we are. afterwards i did a quick re-arrangement to make it orchestral. so here are both.

Memories of the Future
Memories of the Future (Orchestral)

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

@tiger_Child Dang someone

BigHeadClan

@tiger_Child

Dang someone works fast & the whole thing is good, loved 0:30-1:00 onward for the orchestration bit especially though.

Ahh I have someting in my

Brody

Ahh I have someting in my mind for that one.
@ Tiger: damn are you fast^^

Solid song, tiger child.

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

Solid song, tiger child. Considering the time you spent on it, it's super-solid.
I like the non-orchestrated version more though :-)
It really gave me a nostalgic feeling when those wind instruments came in. Totally pictured Shadow and Interceptor like on a cliff looking at the Floating Continent XD

So guys, here I am with my

Brody

So guys, here I am with my special Song: Nostayagi
I used a few parts from Mister Miyagi in Karate Kit for this song :D

Ah Brody's work always brings

BigHeadClan

Ah Brody's work always brings a smile to my face, the Karate Kid stuff had me almost on the floor to :)

Tune contest Entry

Deaugustino

Hello, I have a tune which is titled Discontent which I would like to enter into this nostalgia-tune contest.

Re: Tune contest Entry

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

So formal :)

----------

tiger_child, it's like a

jit

tiger_child, it's like a track straight out of Chrono Cross lol. Nostalgia just by listening some of the sounds you used.

Brody, really reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGFf3SRP1bE

I usually quantize and make my chords in exact 4th, 8th, whole, etc., but I wanted to make it sound less robotic or have a bit more of human emotion to it. Song is basically about an adult who reminisces about how he once had big dreams as a child.
Reaching for What Was Once Desired

Reminder

Basisti94

Reminder that the due date is tomorrow, so let me know if you need an extension.

Just so you know, I haven't listened any of the entries yet.

Basisti, could you wait for

hslesperance

Basisti, could you wait for me? I am almost done, but I have too much schoolwork today (and a flood of tabs submitted today). I should be finished with my song by the end of the 22nd, 23rd at the latest.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Yeah sure. Especially when

Basisti94

Yeah sure. Especially when part of that flood of tabs is by me :P

I'm in the same boat as

BigHeadClan

I'm in the same boat as hsleperance... well not homework just crazy work stuff, although I should have mine up by tomorrow night.

Well this sucks I have to

BigHeadClan

Well this sucks I have to pull from my reserve of songs, been to busy to write anything ><

Warning: you may be reminded of Zelda, I wrote this a year + ago after I re-played ocarina of time. lol

Market Square

Finally finished. Just need

hslesperance

Finally finished. Just need to polish up a few things. Will post it tomorrow afternoon.

jit, is your song based on Carl from Up? The melody at 1:07 and 1:21 sound similar to the motif in that soundtrack. Your story description sounds similar too. Lovely stuff. For comparison

brody, every one of your songs makes me want to cruise really fast down a curvy seaside road. They always have such raw energy, with a sense of freedom and adventure. Keep it up!

----------

...Can't be avoided!

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

I'm going to have to sit this one out, I'm afraid. I'm nowhere near done. I stopped working on the piece for this contest to start working on a Halloween piece XD

----------

Walk a Mile in My Own ShoesI

hslesperance

Walk a Mile in My Own Shoes

I think the song could use some lyrics on the accordion part. The title of the song could be sung on the seven notes at 0:57. But I take forever to write lyrics, so that won't happen anytime soon.

This is only the second song of mine with a guitar solo, which is strange because 80's rock is what got me into guitar. Must be why the solo goes on so long, (1+1/2 minutes!), since I never write rock songs.

Anyway, I'm rather proud of this one and hope you enjoy.

Walk a Mile in My Own Shoes Guitar Tab

----------

Noice

BigHeadClan

@hslesperance That is one groovey little tune you have, especially enjoyed the start and I can totally hear a Santana styled solo taking the place of that Accordian... and holy crap long. lol

@DanteUruzu Aww you always have such awesome submissions, a halloween theme though eh it would be an interesting listen.

Alright. Everyone's

Basisti94

Alright. Everyone's submissions are up right? I'll listen them and post the results by tomorrow.

No issues here, really wana

BigHeadClan

No issues here, really wana try writing some really dark and heavy metal for Halloween now ><

Results

Basisti94

Alright here we go!

tiger_child: Nice one. Not sure if it was midi sounds or what, but it really gave me strong Final Fantasy X vibes.
I think the bass creates nice contrast with the melody.

Brody: Creative as always I see! I loved the use of Miyagi's voice in it :D

Deaugustino: Sweet mournful guitar melody you got there.

jit: Sweet beautiful piano melody in this one. Great stuff as always.

BigHeadClan: No worries, Zelda is a like a black hole in my video game knowledge :P
Still, it reminded me of those similar games I played as a kid. Nice stuff.

hslesperance: Really nice 80's vibes here. Piano reminds me of Desperado by The Eagles. I especially liked the
melody with accordion. It somehow reminded me from some j-pop/rock song I might or might not have
heard in some anime long time again. At least it gave me that kind of feeling.

It's hard to choose the best one when they are all great. I guess that in my personal opinion, two strongest tracks are tiger_child's and hslesperance's. It's like a battle between the memories of discovering Final Fantasy games versus the memories of spending time outside in the summer and doing something silly as a child.
However, it's my job to choose the winner, so I'll go with hslesperance's Walk a Mile In My Own Shoes. It really gave me that sweet nostalgic feeling I was looking for.

Thanks Basisti! I also

hslesperance

Thanks Basisti! I also thought of Desperado when I first came up with the piano. Had to compare them to make sure they weren't too similar. The beginning of mine goes I-iiidim-IV7-iv while Desperado is I-I7-IV-iv so the major 4 to minor 4 is a notable similarity and they both use a good amount of seventh chords, but everything else is very different.

I'll post the next contest theme later.

----------

Congrats. may not have time

BigHeadClan

Congrats. may not have time for next contest, Nov is going to be really...really busy.

good job hsle, that was a

jit

good job hsle, that was a dope track.

good entries by everyone else as well!

ah! thanks to everyone for

tiger child

ah! thanks to everyone for nice things you said. well done hslesperance! its a sweet reminiscence-y feeling. i really wanted the drums to stand out a little more when i was listening. it was great!

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Really? I usually think the

hslesperance

Really? I usually think the drums in my songs are terrible. I don't find percussion interesting (or know anything about it) and just throw some repetitive beat in after doing everything else to make it sound more full and put it at a low volume to cover up how bad it is.

Now that I've had time to play it on piano, I can tell that my song has more in common with When I'm Gone by Randy Newman than Desperado. That's also a nostalgic song since it plays at the very end of the last episode of Monk.

----------

So I was searching my

hslesperance

So I was searching my username on google to get to my soundcloud account and noticed my song for this contest came up on chordify. If anyone here was trying to play it the tab is posted in this zip file.

Walk a Mile in My Own Shoes Tab

You need tuxguitar to open the tab http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/download.html but there is also a text file. Most of the instruments should be easily playable, but I took out the left hand piano from the text which was not made for guitar.

----------