You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #46 - Battle Theme

jit

This is a revisit of an old theme done. I think that contest was probably one of the most active contest we had with the amount of people that joined.

Tune Contest #8 - Battle Theme

We're using the same theme so the same rules apply. Post entries here and hopefully we get a a lot.
Due Date: AUGUST 10TH

About time! I was waiting for

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

About time! I was waiting for this one again XD

Bah I have been soo busy and the steam summer sale isn't helping me much. ( 35 games bought so far )

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Hoho, sound interesting. I

BigHeadClan

Hoho, sound interesting. I may finally be able to use some electric guitar for some recording :P

Indeed

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Interesting it sounds indeed. I was actually thinking about using electric guitar, too. I hope this turns out well lol.

----------

"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you."

Battle Theme Here's my entry.

Basisti94

Here's my entry. That MIDI electric guitar sound I used sounds horrible :P
Battle Theme

EDIT: I mixed it again. The piano was far too loud and some stuff was bit too silent.

Behind!

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

You've already finished yours?! I need to work faster! I have no idea when the deadline is, so that makes me worry all the time lol. I've been having a few audio problems which annoy me and slow my work process, too. Must work faster despite that!

----------

Indeed...

BigHeadClan

Hmm I'm going to have to put more effort into this myself as well, silly Steam sale practically forced me to buy 16 games and now I'm playing through them all ><

Well guess I gotta put them on hold for a bit lol

I'll make the deadline August

jit

I'll make the deadline August 10th. Should be plenty of time to finish the entries. I don't listen to any entries either until the voting period to keep it as fair as possible.

Ohh man I don't have any

Brody

Ohh man I don't have any inspiration yet for a battle theme. hope it comes in the next days :D

When no inspiration hits...

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Sometimes if no ideas or inspiration comes to you something you can do is just play around on an instrument and try to come up with something that sounds nice and go from there. Or take a walk. Or perhaps put yourself in a situation that fits with the piece you want to compose. Like...this contest theme is for a battle. Perhaps imagine yourself with 3 (or more/less...or none!) other party members about to fight either a boss or just some mobs that appear while trying to get to your destination. Or something like that lol.

----------

Brody, I also put the first

jit

Brody, I also put the first competition in for a reason. You can listen to those entries to find some new ideas or whatever.

Here's a few from the first battle contest:

auriplane - http://www.auriplane.net/shellbreaker.mp3 - Pretty sure she used Logic Pro

StrangeJam - http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/StrangeJam/BattleThemeMinute.mid - Surprised he didnt make a live entry but pretty sure this was done in GP5

GrimacingGrimoire- http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/GrimacingGrimoire/bt%20real%20font.mp3 - I'm gonna guess GP5 but not sure

SalemJeanette - http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/SalemJeanette/owo.mp3 -No clue but I really liked this one a lot

jit - http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/jit/boss3o.mp3 - I used FL Studios for this one

There are a few more too. If this doesn't help, just play video games or listen to stuff on youtube.

Battle Theme Here is a battle

hashel

Battle Theme
Here is a battle theme i made for my RPG : Edell's Chronicles ^^

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Some nice tunes in that list

BigHeadClan

Some nice tunes in that list jit...

Hope Airplane doesn't make a submission, that's like a grownup fighting a bunch of little kids.. it just isn't fair!

Re: Brody, I also put the first

Jacob31593

jit said

Here's a few from the first battle contest:
auriplane - http://www.auriplane.net/shellbreaker.mp3 - Pretty sure she used Logic Pro

famitracker

Re: Some nice tunes in that list

auriplane

BigHeadClan said

Hope Airplane doesn't make a submission, that's like a grownup fighting a bunch of little kids.. it just isn't fair!

Ahh, don't oversell me! It's intimidating :-) I probably wouldn't win if I entered.

Battle themes are fun to write, though.

----------

Auriplane!!

Entry!

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Alright, here is my entry. This one is meant to be an interactive-ish kind of battle. Or maybe a cinematic battle. You decide which it fits best lol. I actually want to do some more with this, so I will sometime in the future. Anyway, enough rambling!

Showdown!
Measures 1-4: Dialogue before the battle; trying to reason

Measures 5-8: Battle Positions

Measures 9-15: Hesitant fighting; trying to reason

Measures 16-24: Semi-serious fighting

Measures 25-26: Paralyzing blow to the enemy

Measures 26-28: Dialogue after the paralyzing blow; trying to reason with the enemy

Measures 29-32: Enemy Prepares for Counterattack...

Measures 33-39: Enemy Counterattack!

Measures 40-45: Heroes lose the battle...

----------

Hah

BigHeadClan

Modesty doesn't become you Auriplane, ya should still enter though :P

@Dante
Damn, feel like I was playing some Starcraft for the first half .... I won't loose though!

Re: Entry!

hashel

Pretty good job :o

----------

Big thanks to Dante and jit

Brody

Big thanks to Dante and jit for your help :) Just putted something together and tried a bit soloing.
It's more like a Devil May Cry battle theme. When I listen to it I think on Dante (from DMC) fighting against Sonic on a futuristic train 'lol'.
Battle theme

This is brutal XD

hashel

This is brutal XD

----------

Yeah it came over me somehow

Brody

Yeah it came over me somehow :D

Haha that sounds so funky &

BigHeadClan

Haha that sounds so funky & fun Brodey. Love it, adding the vocals was also a nice touch.

Edit: should be finished by tomorrow or day after :D

Submission

BigHeadClan

Here's mine, compressing to MP3 seems to have lost me some of the bass but oh well.

Battle Theme 01

really tempted to go ahead

jit

really tempted to go ahead and check out some of these entries haha

ill hold out though and wait, glad to see some entries keep em comin!

Pretty good entries :D

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Pretty good entries :D

----------

brody you my new favorite

xuwawa

god of empty NES

brody you my new favorite musician.

i knew it would be good cos i'd recently downloaded the eternal gartenzwerg.
i was wrong.
IT BLEW MY MIND.
...buuuut it doesn't seem like a battle theme...

bigger but...t: i havent been here since 2011 and havent been in a tune contest since 2010. so grain of salt that comment. plus i suck sooo dump the whole shaker.

i am working on something now, since i kicked myself for not getting in on #8 thanks to work or something, and when i popped in to see the theme i was all "THE GODS HATH ALIGNED!"

totally the name of my song

----------

Waw, Xuwawa is back xD

hashel

Waw, Xuwawa is back xD

----------

Tomorrow!

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Tomorrow's the big day! Feels like its been forever xD Looking forward to hearing from you, xuwawa!

----------

Guh don't remind me about

BigHeadClan

Guh don't remind me about tomorrow, I was volentold to work tomorrow ><

Still have been some cool entries for this contest.

Re: Guh don't remind me about

xuwawa

god of empty NES

BigHeadClan said

volentold

never seen that word before, first feeling that pooped in my head about it was that germanic gods were making you work, via their hammers and lightning. best flow fo this i can consciously figure is volentold >> volendrung >> gotterdammerung

urbandictionary severely disappointed me.

and i severely dissapoint myself with my lack of eddic knowledge since googlarking about i found a better connection from the poetic eddas, the story of volundr, who got volentold to go forge shit for some bitch-king, by being hamstrung and stuck on an island.
hopefully things turn out as well for you as they did for that guy... in the end he kills the king's sons, knocks up his daughter, then flies away laughing.

damnit now i'm listening to bathory instead of finishing up on my track. focus!

i'm'a shut up now

edit: kick out the jam

----------

Nice words Xuwawa, thank you

Brody

Nice words Xuwawa and BigHeadClan, thank you :) I think your right Xuwawa, it's not like an classical battle theme but sadly it was the only inspiration I had this time ;)

I'll listen to all of them in

jit

I'll listen to all of them in like an hour or 2. Gonna go out for a run then ill listen to stuff after i take a shower. good luck ppl

Haha that made my day thank

BigHeadClan

Haha that made my day thank you Xuwawa, it made going into work bearable today. Even if it did end up dragging on longer than expected.

Basisti94 Live Thoughts: I

jit

Basisti94

Live Thoughts: I like the simple melody and how it's opening up. SICK bass. Distorted guitar sounds sweet and cool eerie piano melody. Wow, this progression is splendid I feel like this could be a theme for Super Conflict on the SNES when you are moving your troops or other turn based games.

hashel
Live Thoughts:Nice modulations, strong rhythm in a rhythm driven song. Yay for triplets. Some awkward drum parts in the end though imo, maybe fix that part a little

DanteUruzu
Live Thoughts: Bass. Cool arpeggios. Evil sounding blending orchs with distorted guitars. Evil lead. Everything is pure evil. 666. BURN. Oh god, the riffs are metaled the fuck out. Love it.

Brody
Live Thoughts:Wtf what funky sounds. WTF Vocal screams! YEAAAAA! This is too ridiculous hahaha. A guitar solo?!? Is that you playing? There's that poppy pluck synth again. Oh there's the scream again.

BigHeadClan
Live Thoughts: I think you might be the only person that fiddled with the volume automation. Most volumes stayed static the entire time but you did it right from the get go. I like the grungy guitars panned left with the clean lead panned right. I feel like just the selection of synths and construction of it sounds like something that would be on the FF8 soundtrack. Oh there's the volume drop.

xuwawa
Live Thoughts: I like it so far, this bass lead is something I would do myself. Cool chord synth. OK, This actually sounds kind of creepy. Circusy sounding lead. I feel like I'm battling Ronald McDonald in some epic battle.

-------------------------
I really do hate choosing, maybe we should do a group vote lol. Ok I'll stop buckling under pressure now. OK, all the entries were great in their own way. I really, really, really wanted to give it to Brody. He definitely had the most creative, head scratching WTF song out all of them. He also played a great solo. But as a battle theme, I just really couldn't see it. Honestly, I rather not have him picked because I love seeing the entries he throws out each contest, but yeah, it's not exactly a battle theme imo.

The entries I really liked were actually Bassisti's, BHC's and DU's tracks. I actually pictured battling whether it be from a gaming scenario or a cinematic one. It was already tough to take out Brody. Ugghhh this sucks. No disrespect to the others and the effort each of you put out but the winner I choose is this guy with a marginal(and I mean I had to listen to these two like 8 times each finally decide) over this guy.

Can't wait for the the next one guys. Good job everyone!

@Jit

BigHeadClan

Haha your the 2nd person to tell me it sounds like FF8, which is amusing because I've only played the game for about 3 hours and don't have any of the OST.

Grants Dante

Wha... XD

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

I dunno what to say... XD I enjoyed your thoughts, jit. :D I can say that I was kinda hoping not to win lol. I didn't think I would after listening to some of the other entries. I listened to my piece so many times while composing it that I got so used to it and it didn't seem so good. I kinda got tired of it too lol. 'Specially with the problems that I ran into XD. Hmmm... I don't know what to do now xD
And congratulations to everyone! XD

----------

Re: Haha that made my day thank

xuwawa

god of empty NES

congrats dan ftw and thanks all for the good tunes!

Hash's instrument choices were pretty cool and well used, liked the lead in the first part, loved the change at 1:04, i'd meant to do something like this with mine(a complete change makes for better loopy) but hell if i wasn't just trying to get it done.

Bi Ghea D'Clan had a basic rock line i liked, especially when the lead riffed out over it at :35, love how it dropped for the evil bit around :50 and came back with the lead riff.

Br. Ody... done tolt you, but damn that's some good heavy-chippy-eclectictronica.
Y'all remember what the good Broctor said, RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHURUH!!

Basist I-94, love how it seems to play around with a theme through most, when the piano comes in at :43 it's beatiful, love its run down to the bass, bass breakdown around :55 was very well done and with it and the guitar made the "main theme's" return about 1:15 very welcome. a very full song in the best way.

Dan, or should i say DAMN, very shredtastic, love the minimalish intro bit and when it drops back thar at :46. from 1:00 on, this is the art - to shred - it's only emotiooooAAAHN!

who wah wah, you're a pretty cool guy who uses old memes and doesn't afraid of anything, but your ending on the lead part seems rushed and tacked on, maybe because i rushed and tacked it on. But who knows the mysteries of yore. Afore the fray, we die today; to fall on swords or drown in fjords; but twist in fate, alas! Wod's gate!
sorry, i'm not crazy, i just wanted a pepsi...

thanks jit for the cool contest and kind words. and NO thanks for getting calliope stuck in my head... meh, it's just too easy to do.

BigHeadClan said

Haha that made my day thank you Xuwawa, it made going into work bearable today. Even if it did end up dragging on longer than expected.

at first i assumed you meant my song, and i was all "woooooooooooooooooo!!!"
but then i remembered the volentold comment.

----------

Re: Haha that made my day thank

Brody

xuwawa said

Y'all remember what the good Broctor said, RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHURUH!!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHURUH!! Neeeiixxt Tttimeee!!! \m/

Aaand

jit said

Honestly, I rather not have him picked because I love seeing the entries he throws out each contest, but yeah, it's not exactly a battle theme imo.

Thank you for your nice words :) I have many fun while joining this contests. It's not about the win, more inspiration I got each time to make original songs and listen to other people who are the same like me ;)

Congrats to everyone, you had great battle themes.
(Who finds spell errors may keep them^^)

Thank you for your kind words

Basisti94

Thank you for your kind words guys. Glad you liked my entry

Move onTtowards the Future!

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Alright lads, the next contest is up.

----------

Great work everyone

hashel

Great work everyone :D

DanteUruzu : great work dude, your opera battle scene is cool :D

----------

Re: Great work everyone

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Thanks BigHeadClan, xuwawa and hashel :-)

----------