You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Is the world gonna end next Tuesday?

archard

So apparently astronomers discovered this asteroid a few months ago and it's supposed to come really fucking close to earth.

This video claims that even if it doesn't hit us directly it can still cause some serious shit. I'm not gonna take it seriously until I do more research but it's still pretty scary to think about.

I don't wanna die :cry:

Re: Is the world gonna end next Tuesday?

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

This video is misleading as shit and is just trying to scare you. There are really too many to mention but I think the most striking thing was the picture compared to the sears tower. Now, considering the asteroid shown is IDA and NOT TU24, it makes me wonder just what else is inaccurate with this. The part that made me laugh out loud was the whole thing about it causing floods, earthquakes, etc etc...and said think it can't one already has, 100 years ago TUNGUSKA.

Well...except for a small detail, being that THAT asteroid HIT US. There's a slight difference between the two, but I'm sure it's just semantics.

There are a TON of other things wrong with this video but I don't have time to go through them all.

So, no worries Arch, you're not gonna die. You've gotta stop scaring the crap out of yourself looking at junk science videos on youtube, heh.

Noanzer

Metalhead

Lol. Next tuesday. I see what you did there. but yeah, what you really oughta be worrying about is the year 2012! Oooooweeeeeeoooooooo.

archard

"Noanzer" posted:

Lol. Next tuesday. I see what you did there. but yeah, what you really oughta be worrying about is the year 2012! Oooooweeeeeeoooooooo.

2012 marks the end of the Mayan Calendar and the beginning of the "golden age". So many people mistakenly interpret this as the end of the world, but what it really is is the beginning of a new age of enlightenment. Supposedly some event is supposed to take place in 2012, but it's not the end of the world according to the Mayans.

"Kabukibear" posted:

So, no worries Arch, you're not gonna die. You've gotta stop scaring the crap out of yourself looking at junk science videos on youtube, heh.

I know man but I just can't help but be fascinated by these things even though I know they're most likely bs.

----------

DANG

nozzie

The talkbox guy.

dude... Earth ended like 50 years. lol i watch a documentry on sign language they prefer to term for earth is Eyarth. Eye and ear lol.

----------

Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygon

Noanzer

Metalhead

Actually plenty of people throughout history have marked 2012 as a great disaster/apocalypse thing. Enough to fill a whole special on the History channel at least.

vash_cloud

well technically the TUNGUSKA incident that meteor never did make contact with the earth (i just took a astronomy class :roll:) but yeah it did screw up some stuff... though i don't think anyone died :lol:

----------

"The only exercise some people get is jumping at conclusions, running down their friends, sidestepping responsibility, and pushing their luck."_Arnold Glasow

Jammy XIII

Wielder of the Frop

there is a simple answer to your question arch...

No, the world will not end on tuesday....

it will end on thursday of course!
have you never listend to 'The Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy'?

----------

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail

A true friend will be sitting next to you saying 'Damn, we fucked up!'

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

True, though it's still considered an impact, even though it exploded before hitting the earth. My point was that the video implies the same thing could occur with TU24, even though what happened with the tunkuska incident occured around 9 kilometers above the earth's surface while TU24 is going to pass us at around 300,000 kilometers. Considering that tunguska occured BECAUSE of earth's atmosphere, which incidently ends at around 1280 kilometers (max) there is absolutely no possibility of something like what happened in russia occuring. I know you weren't disagreeing with me, I just wanted to point out why I think the video is so ridiculous in it's claims and is just rampant fear-mongering.

archard

I'm hoping it at least makes some kind of cool visuals in the sky we can look at. I don't think asteroids do that kind of thing though....

----------

DANG

cgseth

According to NASA, it should be observable with modest sized telescopes.
I guess that's not what you were hoping for.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news157.html

archard

I heard somewhere that it's only gonna be observable in the southern sky though :(

Either way, I wish I hadn't sold my telescope...

----------

DANG

archard

Well, looks like we all survived. So much for the plasma discharge death rays.

----------

DANG