You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

And I say it's time for another community project!

ronito

Decisive Battler

I really liked the level of stuff that was created by the Shimomura project. I say let's do more! What say ye?

Shall we do another composer? Or should we focus on a single game? It is the 10th anniversary of FFVII. We could try to come up with all new tabs for that (even though it has been tabbed to death) and put it all in a zip file. Or we could do something entirely different this time. Opinions?

Re: And I say it's time for another community project!

archard

I agree. I think we should do something a little different this time though. For example, since Christmas is coming up, maybe do like Christmas themed arrangements or something like that. Tributes to games are also a good idea. I think it may be too late for an FF7 tribute, but next year we have to do an Ocarina of Time triubte :) We could also do the "virtual orchestra" thing I was talking about before where we each record a track from a song and put them all together. Maybe we could do arrangements from classic games like the old super mario brothers, zelda, kirby, mega man, etc.

Any other ideas?

----------

DANG

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

I had the idea a while ago that we could do a project that focuses on forest themes from games (since those are usually my favorite :) ) However, with Christmas coming up, we could do something like that, except have it focus on Christmas/winter/snow themes from video games (like Archard suggested). I also really like the idea of doing projects that tribute the anniversary of great games...or we could tribute composers...and the virtual orchestra idea is really intriguing...well, I like all the ideas. I think we just need to hunker down and pick one (unless anybody has more ideas).

I think what we need to do this time is figure out how we can get more people to vote. I wouldn't mind advertising it in my youtube videos, like put it in the video description and make a comment (it's not really spam if it's by me). The problem with this is people might be more subconsciously inclined to vote for my tab if I directed them to it, which could give me an unfair advantage. We could also inform people on various game music forums. However, I think the most effective way to get more voters would be to just get more forum traffic from active users...but how to go about that really has me stymied haha. I'm sure that's what you've been trying to figure out all along, Archard, and the fact the this website, dedicated to the specific niche of game tabs, is as active as it is, is really impressive.

Oh yeah, one thing I noticed the other day that Ron suggested in the comments of...some song, is that we should have a weekly tribute to great-tabs-you've-never-looked-at, or something like that, sort of like a tab of the week. I think that would be a cool thing to implement, and it might help with the site's activity. It might even encourage more people to contribute, if they see that their tab will get some recognition.

Anyway....hooray community project! :D

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

Christmas stuff could be fun, I'd go for that. I'm not sure about the voting either. Maybe you can choose a randomly selected voter (if it lets you see who voted?) to win a prize? I dunno, it MIGHT get people more interested to take the time to do it. Or people might just randomly click one just to be entered, so who knows.

ronito

Decisive Battler

I'm not getting the christmas theme stuff. So videogame music in christmas style??? Am I being dense?

Virtual orchestra thing might be a hard thing to pull off. I mean heck, I still haven't figured out how get a good recording of my guitar. And we'd need a whole lot more participants to make it happen

I actually LOVE the Stamen's Forest theme idea. And definetly sign me up for the OoT tribute when the time comes.

I'd like to get more people voting and stuff, but really it's not a horse race. But I do think Kabuki's idea of giving away a shirt to the voters is a very good one.

So, so far we have the following ideas:
1. Game Tribute
2. Composer Tribute
3. Christmas Themes
4. Forest Themes
5. Virtual Orchestra

Right now I'm going with the Forest theme idea. But I'll go with whatever you decide. Also Stamen now that I can add content I'll start that whole weekly "Great Tab You've Never Played" thing.

PS: Why isn't this topic showing up on the front page?

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

"ronito" posted:

I'm not getting the christmas theme stuff. So videogame music in christmas style???

hmm...christmas style might be kind of interesting; but thinking about it, it's kind of hard to put my finger on how to do it (maybe add some sleigh bells? put a famous christmas song's chord progression over a video game melody?)

Anyway, what I'm thinking with the christmas theme is that, just like how a bunch of games have forest themes, a lot of games also have a wintery/snow theme, like Cool Cool Mountain from Mario 64, Chill Penguin's stage from Mega Man X, or the Mt Gagazet song (people of the north? not sure on the name) from FFX. The problem I see is that a lot of great games don't have an identifiable theme like that, so it might be tough to come up with a lot of ideas...but on the other hand, there are about a million games out there to choose from.

And thanks for the voice of support on the forest theme idea, ron!

----------

archard

"Stamen47" posted:

Anyway, what I'm thinking with the christmas theme is that, just like how a bunch of games have forest themes, a lot of games also have a wintery/snow theme, like Cool Cool Mountain from Mario 64, Chill Penguin's stage from Mega Man X, or the Mt Gagazet song (people of the north? not sure on the name) from FFX. The problem I see is that a lot of great games don't have an identifiable theme like that, so it might be tough to come up with a lot of ideas...but on the other hand, there are about a million games out there to choose from.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe Christmas themes is not the best way to put it, but rather like Stamen said, snow/winter themes. There's a good amount of those type of songs to choose from I'm sure.

I also like the forest theme idea. It's basically the same deal as the winter themes, but... foresty :)

BTW. I completely forgot about the "Best Tab You've Never Heard Of" idea. I LOVE that. We are definitely going to do that.

----------

DANG

karias

oh heck yeah to stamen47 for wintery themes...i love megaman x and will be willing to put all of my death metal practice aside to do mmx songs.

----------

I AM SPARTICUS

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

Ohh lol, I thought you all meant ACTUAL CHRISTMAS SONGS. I figured it would give us something to play for our families next month hehe. I didnt' realize you all meant...winter video game stuff. I only know like 3 of those.

Forest themes sounds good, or what about town themes? Usually they're quite laid back which I like.

cgseth

"Kabukibear" posted:

Forest themes sounds good, or what about town themes? Usually they're quite laid back which I like.

Haha, I just did a forest theme for the last contest.

I'm cool with wintery/snow themes. It's definitely getting to be the right time of year for that. I am almost positive there is enough material out there, but it'll take a bit more work to find it than just looking up all the games Yoko Shimomura composed music for.

archard

Alright, I propose forest themes for the next project. Agreed?

Also for this time I think what I'll do is put the poll on the main site rather than the forum, and make it so guests can vote. That way people don't have to be bothered to register an account on the forums to vote, and it will be much more visible. Also, I'm going to make some kind of standard for submission this time. I'm thinking it has be some kind of arrangement, meaning if it's electric it has to be more than just a melodic transcription. There has to be a harmony guitar as well. I was planning on making like a PDF book with all the arrangements for the last project but decided not to since the circumstances were kind of confusing. Think of that as a warm up project. With this one I hope to have a bunch of really high quality arrangements, and maybe make like a little writeup about "history of forest themes in game music" or something like that, and package it all together in a nice PDF book, maybe even with some cover art or something. Then we could distribute the book of arrangements to other game music sites and get some recognition :)

----------

DANG

Hell, I'd actually do one considering my interest in vidja gaem music was recently rekindled. I'm in (hopefully).

karias

ok i can agree with forest themes...
i can still do a megaman x forest theme right?
if i can than i'll do sting chameleon's stage,or one from a different x game(i think i'm more than just obsessed with mmx games).
if not then i can find something else in my library of games to tab out.

----------

I AM SPARTICUS

nozzie

The talkbox guy.

Im game for what ever.

----------

Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygon

archard

I'm wondering if we should lump forest and winter themes into one category. What do you guys think? I know some of you would rather do winter and some would rather do forest. Personally I'd rather do forest.

----------

DANG

karias

yeah combining them would be a cool idea...even i am part way on chill penguin's and sting chameleon's stages.
i will finish both but which one should i submit?
*submission for the project,both will be submited to the site i just need to know which should i use*

----------

I AM SPARTICUS

ronito

Decisive Battler

I was going to say that I like the Winter idea, but it might be too restrictive for new comers. So I like the idea combining both Forest and Winter themes into one as I don't know if there's enough winter themes out there that are tabbable.

karias

ok right now i am working extensively on sting chameleon's stage music.
using zsnes i can filter out the sound inputs,there are 4 inputs just for the keyboard(translated to guitar).so i am gonna tab out 4 guitar parts and then the bass part at the end.

here is preview of intro/verse 1(i labeled it part 1a and 1b).
not finished yet but what do you guys think of it?

FILE: 65-sting chameleon.zip

----------

I AM SPARTICUS

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

How about wintery forest themes :D

I feel fine clumping winter and forest themes into one project. When I first read it, I was a bit worried that we're going to run out of community project ideas, but there's also, like, town themes (as Kabukibear mentioned), sad themes, love themes, battle themes, traveling themes, victory themes, boss themes, villain themes, mountain themes, resting themes, not to mention tons of composers we could do, or the virtual orchestra, and the game tributes I'm sure will be popular, and also all the other project ideas we'll think of in the future...so we probably don't have to worry about that.

But I don't know, I still feel kind of uncomfortable clumping these two really different types of themes into one big category. Maybe we could have two sections, sort of like doing two community projects at the same time, and people can submit to one or the other or both. Also, if there are a lot of submissions this time, we could break up the voting into categories, like vote for the best transcription, arrangement, acoustic, electric, 2+ guitars, best overall, etc/whatever. On the other hand, the voting probably isn't the most important aspect of the project. Like Ron said before, it's not a horse race.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I'm fine with whatever's decided. I certainly don't want to draw out deliberations any longer than necessary, so I'll be quiet now.

----------

archard

"Stamen47" posted:

But I don't know, I still feel kind of uncomfortable clumping these two really different types of themes into one big category.

I feel the same way. I really want there to be a distinct theme, one or the other. I'm thinking about making a poll between the two and choosing whichever one comes out on top.

----------

DANG

ronito

Decisive Battler

Alrighty. So archard you wanna make it official?

archard

If everyone agrees with forest themes then yeah. We can do winter themes for the next project.

----------

DANG

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

Why don't we do winter themes first then? I dunno, if we're gonna do both anyway I figure this time of year would be a, "Ha, that's clever," time to do it. We don't have to, of course, I'm just putting my two cents into the mish mosh, lolol.

archard

Alright, either one is fine with me. Any objections?

----------

DANG

ronito

Decisive Battler

If we're not doing both Forest and Winter then I agree with Kabuki. The time's right for winter.

karias

it doesnt matter to me what theme for it but think,winter officially begins next month.
wouldnt a winter project be good with the winter rather than fall?

----------

I AM SPARTICUS

archard

Well, if you live in the southern hemisphere then its spring ;)

Alright, I say winter themes is the subject of the next project. All aboard?

----------

DANG

archard

Ok, I guess we're doing winter themes :P

----------

DANG