You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Birthday coming up - Help me pick out a guitar!

Hyunwoo

So my birthday is coming up and I'm buying a new guitar...

Any suggestions? I want a guitar that will last me awhile...

Acoustic steel string by the way..

I want a guitar that is somewhat unique.. which means no taylors. I hate taylors for some reason. Any recommendations?

my budget is 800 - 1500 dollars

You should try out what suits

Ennea

humhum..

You should try out what suits you at your local music store. Tastes are different so if you want to spend that much money you better be sure it is exactly what you want and not what someone else prefers.

Try out a Godin ACS, although

Hakoria

Laon King

Try out a Godin ACS, although iirc that's not steel strings?

What do you think about order

Hyunwoo

What do you think about order online? Yes or no? Is it reliable?

---> Try out a Godin <---

BigHeadClan

I agree with Hakoria, if you can get your hands on a Godin of any make they are very hard to put down, I have a duet nylon multiac and love that thing to death.

But buying guitars is all about that one you sit down with and end up playing on for 2 hours without noticing, if you can find that guitar (which can be like finding a needle in a haystack) that you will never regret it.

Edit: Online orders are fairly reliable, but they can mistreated while being shipped really easy. The biggest downfall is that it's hard to try it out and see if you even like the guitar before you already paid for it.

If I had the money, I'd get a

yashakenkyaku

If I had the money, I'd get a Seagull. >.> I think they're made by Godin as well, but I could be wrong. o.0 Then again, you should see whats more comfortable to you.

I'd say go with Takamine, but

ChelseaRare

I'd say go with Takamine, but that's just me.

----------

(.?!)

$800-$1500 and unique? Check

What if bears could

$800-$1500 and unique? Check out Emerald Guitars (here's a link to one of their dealers). It is at the top of your price range, but as far as uniqueness goes, carbon fiber guitars are hard to beat.

There are other brands out there (RainSong, Blackbird Guitars, Composite Acoustics), but I recommend Emerald because most of their standard models are within your price range.

Edit: as far as lasting you awhile, a carbon fiber guitar would probably outlive all of us.

Is it a carbon fiber top???

BigHeadClan

Is it a carbon fiber top??? Or is the whole thing made out of it?

Whatever the case I still can't imagine them sounding that great, long lasting guitars are nice... But if it sounds like crap I wouldn't want to play on it anyhow.

I would check out the big

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

I would check out the big sites, They sometimes have "stupid deals". And they are pretty awesome.
Plus they have free shipping and if something does happen to your guitar they will refund you.

I haven't had an issue with online orders. Head down to a Guitar Center ( if you have one ). They have a nice
acoustic room to play in. Plus you can easily try out a guitar and then go home and look online for one to buy.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid-acoustic-deals?icid=201871

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

In Emeralds case, the entire

What if bears could

In Emeralds case, the entire guitars are made of carbon fiber and resin.

They sound amazing to me. However, tone is very subjective. If anyone's interested in learning more about carbon fiber guitars, here are a couple forums to meander through:
http://macnichol.com/forums/carbon-fiber-instruments/carbon-fiber-guitars
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Anyway, I'll echo that you should go to your local guitar store to get a better idea of what you're looking for. For example, what size guitar do you want (dreadnought, OM, parlor, etc.)? Any preferred neck profile or string spacing? ...Favorite color?

Very interesting carbon

Hyunwoo

Very interesting carbon fiber.

I am still searching for something that'll suit me.

I think i prefer dreadnought and OM : wait actually I don't really know the difference. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if the guitar I have right now is a dreadnought. lol