You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Guitar problem, Im scared!

BlackFox

The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears. The thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!

I was changing the old nylon strings my guitar had (just the bass ones), and when tuning the 4th string, my guitar sounded *crack*, the sound came from the bridge (I think). I dont see any physical damage, but im scared my guitar will break.

Are you replacing them with

auriplane

Dumb question: are you replacing them with nylon strings?

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Are you replacing them with

BlackFox

The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears. The thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!

Yes, I am replacing them with nylon strings, but they are a different brand.

----------

Im not afraid of darkness. Im not afraid of death. Im not even afraid of those monsters. The only thing that I fear is, being all alone...

Same gauge of strings?

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

Same gauge of strings?

Try and slide the corner of a

What if bears could

Try and slide the corner of a sheet of paper underneath the bridge. If the paper can go under it, immediately loosen the strings. A lifting bridge can do a lot of damage if left alone.

A dumb question of my own: were you replacing normal tension nylon strings with hard tension nylon strings? Some guitars can't handle the additional force.

Edit because two posts appeared while I was writing this one: different brands can have slightly different "normal" tensions. I'd do the above paper test to rule out the possibility of it being bridge failure. Could just be your guitar "acclimating" to the new strings, but it's best to proceed with caution.

Re: Same gauge of strings?

BlackFox

I think it have a little bit more, but I used this brand in the past.

----------

Im not afraid of darkness. Im not afraid of death. Im not even afraid of those monsters. The only thing that I fear is, being all alone...

Re: Try and slide the corner of a

BlackFox

the paper did´nt go under. Is normal tension nylon strings, but i had medium-low or something before. but as I said, I had this brand before.

----------

My biggest worry was the

What if bears could

My biggest worry was the bridge. With that taken care of, I can't think of any other potential problems that would be easy to examine on your own. There are just too many variables; is the guitar an expensive, lightly-built masterpiece? Or is it an overbuilt import? Is it too dry/humid where you keep your guitar? Is the guitar old? I know that some creaking and cracking is normal (if not still scary), but at this point the most I can say now is to proceed with caution.

If you're very, very worried, you can always have a local guitar technician check it out. If they're a good guy/gal, they should just give it a quick look over, free of charge (unless they find something wrong with it, of course).

Re: My biggest worry was the

BlackFox

my classical guitar is an Catala g-01nb, it cost me around 40$ (some people say its a guitar for beginners), where i live is not to dry or humid & I have 2 years now with the guitar.

----------