You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Fingerstyle Challenge #10 (Due April 14)

musenji

Open a big treasure chest!

That's right, kiddies, it's time for some Ocarina of Time action. The tab comes from EroSennin, here on gametabs:

e-------------------------------------------------
B------0-2-----0-2-----1-3-----1-3-----2-4-----2-4
G--0-2-----0-2-----1-3-----1-3-----2-4-----2-4----
D-------------------------------------------------
A--0-------0-------1-------1-------2-------2------
E-------------------------------------------------

e-------------------------------------------------
B------3-5-----3-5-----4-6-----5-7-----6-8-----7-9
G--3-5-----3-5-----4-6-----5-7-----6-8-----7-9----
D-------------------------------------------------
A--3-----------3---4-------5-------6-------7------
E-------------------------------------------------
 ____
|ITEM|
e--5-6-7-8--
B--4-5-6-7--
G--5-6-7-8--
D--4-5-6-7--
A-----------
E-----------

(If you were already familiar with this tab, I filled out the chords in the "ITEM" section.)

Here is the original music:

And here is a video of me playing it a bit slowly:

Entries will be judged on accuracy, clean playing, and a steady acceleration. If you can play it up to tempo, that will be graded up, but not at the expense of the other judging points. At tempo and sloppy will lose out to under tempo and clean.

There won't be any extensions--I will judge entries the night of April 14, come what may!

My fingers seems to want to

karathrow

My fingers seems to want to do everything backwards. I'll start practicing now, but I doubt I will submit a recording.

The video of me playing has

musenji

The video of me playing has pretty bad lag, so it won't look correct.

During the entire ascent, it's barre chords, with hammer-ons using the ring finger and the pinky. (Of course at the very beginning you're not barring because it's open, but I still use the ring finger and pinky for the hammer-ons, because it's much easier to just keep that formation.)

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Re: My fingers seems to want to

Jacob31593

karathrow said

My fingers seems to want to do everything backwards. I'll start practicing now, but I doubt I will submit a recording.

post a backwards recording!

D:, i actually wanted to

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

D:, i actually wanted to record some uninstall for #9 . .
you won too fast xD

Aw, dang that's right, you

musenji

Aw, dang that's right, you said "why not", and I just went ahead and made the joke about being the only contestant...I apologize. You can still record it!

How can I make it up to you?

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Maybe next time!

SorrowBlade

Maybe next time!

----------

Video games are, modern days-wise, the maximum manifestation of art. It's intrinscecally aesthetical, with infinite potential to be philosofical, poetic.

Haha, thanks for the bump

musenji

Haha, thanks for the bump anyway. If only one person submits, then they win by default, of course, and get to pick the next one...

----------

Just found out about this

Yogurt

Just found out about this today. Damn. Don't think it's worth it to practice and submit on same day (even though I'll technically "win" it). Takes too much effort to record and post a video when I know I'll play it like shit.

Oh well, I Tried.

musenji

Oh well, I Tried.

I leave the floor open to anyone who wants to post #11. :p

----------

Well, I'm finishing up your

SorrowBlade

Well, I'm finishing up your Breezy, so I might be able to join the next challenge. Too bad, seems like this place isn't as crowded and lively as it used to be. =\

----------

Video games are, modern days-wise, the maximum manifestation of art. It's intrinscecally aesthetical, with infinite potential to be philosofical, poetic.

Re: Oh well, I Tried.

Ennea

humhum..

musenji said

Oh well, I Tried.

I leave the floor open to anyone who wants to post #11. :p

You need more patience!

I don't like the whole "let's

musenji

I don't like the whole "let's keep extending it until we have entries" idea. That's how it got extended for over a year.

If people aren't interested enough to practice a 15 second excerpt in two weeks, that's okay. I have other things to do, than worry about whether I should extend something a little bit, and then a little bit more, etc! I think people have gotten so used to extensions that they think the deadline is totally meaningless, so we need to pull it back to a solid deadline.

----------

Re: I don't like the whole "let's

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

musenji said

I don't like the whole "let's keep extending it until we have entries" idea. That's how it got extended for over a year.

If people aren't interested enough to practice a 15 second excerpt in two weeks, that's okay. I have other things to do, than worry about whether I should extend something a little bit, and then a little bit more, etc! I think people have gotten so used to extensions that they think the deadline is totally meaningless, so we need to pull it back to a solid deadline.

Site just needs more members and stuff.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Either not enough interest in

Yogurt

Either not enough interest in actual competition, not enough members on site interested, or selection of music. I think trying to advertise the challenges might be the best way to revive it. I frequent the site at least once a week and I totally missed this post, would have practiced a couple days and then sent a submission otherwise.

Advertise as in put it in the

musenji

Advertise as in put it in the feed? Yeah, choice of music definitely affects things, as does the frequency of visits by fingerstylers.

Side note, you can still learn the piece! The treasure chest tab is a great exercise in barring, shifting accuracy, and finger independence with the hammer-ons.

----------

I mean like outside of this

Yogurt

I mean like outside of this site. We don't have the active fingerstyle user base from game tabs alone to get many entrys.

I doubt that people who

musenji

I doubt that people who aren't members would be interested in competing based on small sections of video game music, but maybe I'm wrong. I mean if we could generally increase the member count, yeah.

I wouldn't want to have to judge/comment on more than 10 entries, myself, anyway. :p

----------