You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Okami - Issun's Theme

MisterM2402

Issun's Theme

First tab submission :D

There are a couple of notes the MIDI and Guitar Pro files don't seem to play, specifically the second note of bars 6 and 8. Not sure how to fix it, but it's nothing major.

Getting the text file to display appropriate rhythms for two different voices is harder than it looks; it's all there in the GP and PDF though.

It's because the two voices

auriplane

It's because the two voices have overlapping notes. Here's how you fix it:

In measure 6, the first note of the lower voice overlaps with the second note of the upper voice. The easiest work-around is to change the bass note to a triplet eighth followed by a triplet quarter rest. (After all, you can't really leave the note ringing longer than that.)

In measure 8, it doesn't work because of the triplets; split the first note into a triplet eighth followed by a triplet rest. Since the voices are overlapping, it doesn't sound like an upper and lower voice, here, by the way--you could make measure 8 sound like two distinct voices by moving the first four notes of the lower voice down an octave, if you wanted.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: It's because the two voices

MisterM2402

Aha, that'll be why. And yeah, I wasn't really sure what to do about that last problem you mentioned; played separately, the upper and lower voices sound fine, but in that state they don't work together that well. Thanks, I'll try and fix it tomorrow.

In general, you don't want

auriplane

In general, you don't want voices to cross. Otherwise, they stop sounding like independent voices!

There are exceptions, and there's great classical music with voice crossing, so it'd be ridiculous of me to claim it's wrong. But think about it carefully when you have voices crossing--it often sounds better if you change it so they don't.

----------

Auriplane!!

OK, I've made some changes;

MisterM2402

OK, I've made some changes; it sounds a bit better now :) It turns out that the note that was silent in bar 8 is actually fine when I play it in - or export a MIDI from - GP6. It seems that GP5 is the problem.

You know, I think I've spent more time trying to get the voices sounding right than on any other part...

Okay, I posted it for

auriplane

Okay, I posted it for you!

http://www.gametabs.net/okami/issuns-theme-0

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Okay, I posted it for

MisterM2402

Oh, I think you put it under "bass" by accident.

Aw, crud. Lemme fix it.

auriplane

Aw, crud. Lemme fix it.

EDIT: Fixed! :-)

I blame my broken scroll wheel for making me click the wrong things... :-)

----------

Auriplane!!