You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

My pinky finger sucks

archard

Does anyone else have a pinky finger that sort of naturally curves inward? Mine does and it sucks, it's like it doesn't fit in with the rest of my fingers. It's not nearly as nimble and flexible as the other 3. Is there any exercises I can do to increase my pinky's effectiveness?

Re: My pinky finger sucks

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. I've found that the pinky finger doesn't really get used all that much in guitar music anyway. It's mostly just pima.

archard

Well, it really gets in the way when I need to make chords that require awkward stretches you know? Like try barring the 5th fret and then sticking your pinky finger on the 8th fret of the 6th string. That's a really hard position for my pinky to get in, but it seems like it should be relatively easy.

----------

DANG

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

oh oh oh, for some reason I was thinking you were talking about your right hand. Hmm, I'm not sure really, I'm sure you could dig up some left hand stretches on google or something.

To Strengthen your pinky finger, Try repetitive Chromatic scale exercises that invole the use of the pinky

OR this

eg:

--1------3------1---------5----------------------

etc....

thats just one example (on the E string) out of many you can do...

Kotex

You should build your pinky up as soon as possible. Instead of having to try and stretch your ring finger, you can just your pinky (and once you build it up, things become easier). You'll have more range when you build it up, and it actually is used quit frequently.

What I did to build mine up was the simple 1--2--3--4 patter.

So Fret one: Index finger
Fret two: Middle finger
Fret three: Ring
and fret Four: Pinky.
Do it in one place or move up and down the strings. It'll be hard at first, but it will pay off.

----------

As above, so below

archard

Well, it's not really that I can't use it or it isn't strong enough. It's just that it naturally curves in weird way toward my other fingers when I curl them. I'm hoping I can sort of train it to curl normally. Thanks for the replies though.

----------

DANG

SamBeckett94

My pinky finger used to suck. Then I exercised it by merely practicing with it more. Now, my pinky finger's awesome, but my middle finger sucks. But that's probably just a mistake I made. I guess this would be the right time to give advice: exercise your pinky finger, but for the love of God, don't forget about the middle one like I did :lol: .

But, Archard, mine never curved. I guess there must be some way to train it to curve 'properly'. I'll have a look into some methods for you.

OT: I'm going to have to get used to using emoticons. Usually, my posts are a little more 'neutral' than others.

archard

Oh yeah, you're a doctor aren't you? You're the person I should be talking to then, heh. Any help is appreciated.

----------

DANG

SamBeckett94

I can't really think of any proper methods that would help, so all I can say is to carry on practicing with it to either try and get it to stop curving, or to get used to it ;) .

Sorry I haven't been much help.

Gren

dude my pinky curls in a hell of a lot, and i mean a LOT. It's getting better over time though, and I'll get over it soon enough.

CpxAzn

Lurker

My pinky is also curved inwards. You're saying if you spread you fingers out that your pinky is pointed towards your middle finger right? Apparently a lot of Taiwanese people are like that like me, don't know about you though. It doesn't mean anything though, practice will get it working.

archard

Actually mine is the opposite. When I spread my fingers out the pinky goes way away from the rest of the hand. But when I curl my wrist and fingers (like in a fretting position) it goes inward.

----------

DANG

CpxAzn

Lurker

Thats weird, my pinky goes in while spread and in fretting position

MoonDoggie

aww, i dont know if its the same thing as urs archy, but my pinky loves playing follow the leader with my ring finger (thats the one right next to the pinky right?) and i hate it! cuse of that, when ever i forcefully press a fret with my ring finger my pinky tends to come down just as fast and catches the edge of the fret. which friggin hurts and and feels gross.

but i made up a little scale i go up and down to recently and i think its getting better. i'll post it for you later.

archard

No, it's not like that either. My pinky and all my other fingers are very much independent from each other.

Maybe I'll take a picture of what it looks like.

----------

DANG

Zeldasbiggestfan

Hey

That would kind of help us out. Keep exercising your fingers.

----------

What makes you think I won't cut you? - Nick(Waiting...)