You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

game ideas

karias

ok,i am starting college in the spring semester...i was late for applying for the fall semester...but i am going for video game design.i already have an idea for one which i think the name i gave it fits it perfectly "EVOLUTION AT A COST".i will give more info if you want on it if you really want to know but in the mean time here is a banner i made today of it.

Re: game ideas

archard

Cool man, tell us about your idea.

What school are you going to? I almost went to a video game design school called the "Unveristy of Advancing Technology" in Phoenix. I decided against it though, because while it sounds like fun, it's one of those jobs that you really have to put your heart and soul into, because you'll be spending a lot of time working on tedious things, and it's not supposed to pay that well. Are you doing design or programming?

----------

DANG

karias

i am trying to find a way to do both but if anything i would take programming over design,higher pay.
i am going ITT Technical School of Drafting and Design...they offer alot of stuff not just in doing game design,but also stuff in construction(which the commercial always shows).but i am going for the game design and programming.

ok the game is based around a 16 year old male named karias(my most used online name next to drop-g).
he is about 6 ft tall
ripped but not muscle bound
black hair
red eyes

main means of attack and defence in the game are based around a left hand armor plated claw,right arm blade,and use of limited power(or magic for those WoW players).
the claw is usefully in doing combos and deflecting enemy fire at fast speeds.
the arm blade is you main means of attack and essential for doing heavy damage finishers for combos(such as decapitating,severing,and other gore stuff)
the powers you atain from killing master enemies(or bosses),you start with a rapid firing beam(about 3 shots a second)which refils automatically but is the weakest out of every attack,but its long ranged.other powers will up mana and must be refilled by grab replenishers.
here is the plot.

e.a.a.c. is gonna be pretty what you get when you mix megaman zero(because of the combos),WoW and megaman x(because of the powers),metroid(because of the free roam system), and something very violent and gory...i am calling a M rating.

FILE: 7-E.A.A.C. plot.rar

----------

I AM SPARTICUS

archard

That'd be pretty cool if you could get your idea published one day. One thing you have to consider though is that when you design a video game it's a highly group involved process. That means one group of people are gonna be working on the story, one group works on the items/weapons, another on music and sound. Rarely does someone think of a game idea by themselves and have it come true, unless you're Shigeru Miyamoto. The video game industry is kind of saturated with the same type of ideas, so publishing companies are looking for really unique ideas to sell. Good luck with your career though.

----------

DANG

Many programers go indie for their own ideas. Is your game something that could be achieved by mostly 1 person? I hope it's not a MMORPG.
My own game idea wasn't big, but I've spent 5 years on it and it's still not finished! Watch out. An idea can be concieved in a moment, but take years to realise.

karias

definitly not a mmorpg...leave that to blizzard to do.
this is going to be a platformer(my favorite kind :D )
alot like the megaman zero series but no robots(just humans and the evolved),you wont select your level you have to go to it(gives the game more time to play it),and i think the bosses are gonna be your kind(the character's race) that is on the side against you.but i am still think whether to think of it as a 2-d platformer or 3-d?

----------

I AM SPARTICUS

eddhead

Rock Distributor

I always thought it would be really cool to do a 3d/2d platformer (similar to smash bros. and New SMB) but on the wii or 360. Can you imagine how massive the world of a game like that could be on 360? If it was like a full game versus being a live arcade game... wow.

----------

If you take away my violent video games, I'll kill you!! I'll kill your whole freakin' family!!!

"keeirby" posted:

An idea for a game? Well... this is one I've been mulling over, so here it is.

Paper Mario Online. Yes, you read it right. Online. AKA, an MMORPG, PAPER MARIO STYLE! WITH NO FRIEND CODES OR ANYTHING! YAAAAAY~!

Okay, in this one, the game would have a Race System. You could say, choose to be a toad, a koopa, a goomba, maybe a boo. And there would be classes! But your classes would be limited by your race! Why yes, this is sounding a bit like World of Warcraft, but don't worry! It gets BETTER!

The battles work exactly like in the Paper Mario games, complete with Action Commands! And maybe Stylish moves from TTYD. Only, instead of, "Players go first, enemies go second" Everything would function by a speed stat! Because there's going to be PvP combat! Oh yes!

You see, it would work like this. There's an alignment system! You start off Neutral, and you can choose to stay neutral, or become a member of the Mushroom Kingdom Army and become a good guy, or join Bowser's Evil Legion of Evil and become a bad guy! Then, you would battle it out for territories and towns! Like, Bowser could one day say, to his greatest generals, (Who are all players, by the way) "Tomorrow, at 1 PM (In game time of course) WE'RE GOING TO ATTACK KOOPA VILLAGE! Inform the troops!" So the generals go, and tell all the members of Bowser army that they're going to attack Koopa Village! And then they attack it! And a message goes to everyone saying, "[s]omfg[/s] Koopa Village is under attack!" And all the heroes would go, and defend Koopa Village! And lotsa fighting happens! Yay!

And if like, the bad guys win, "OH NOES KOOPA VILLAGE BELONGS TO BOWSER NOW!" And then heroes couldn't go in otherwise they'd get attacked on sight! By players and NPCs! Oh no! And like, Princess Peach would order you to reclaim the Koopa Village, so you go, and fight again! And if you fail again, she sends in the big guns! "OMFG MARIO!" But liek, Bowser will go there and fight Mario! But you gotta be there too cuz otherwise Mario would get killed by lotsa bad guys! =O

And if you're neutral, you get to go wherever the hell you want without fear. So PvP isn't needed.

And the places would be places from the Mario games! Stay in the Mushroom Kingdom or hop on a boat to Rogueport! And there'd be DUNGEONS! The same dungeons like in the games! Only they're instanced! So now, you go into a dungeon with your group, you get a special copy of that dungeon all to yourself! <3

So... yeah. That's my idea. Paper Mario MMORPG, with lotsa PvP events and stuff. Yeah...

And if you couldn't tell, I was very hyperactive while writing this.

"LeoModesto" posted:

K, my ideas for the Paper Mario MMORPG.

I actually had some of these way before Keeirby posted, but I've only bothered to write them down today. Deal with it.

- First off, you create a human character. That's right, HUMAN. This one will pretty much act as your Mario: Jump, Hammer, the usual. Maybe you could have different classes with varied abilities (like people with capes that can fly or people in frog suits that can swin amazingly well), or they could rely solely on equipment (like equipping a cape or a frog suit, rather than wear them all the time, which would be kinda silly).

- Then, you create a partner. You're given a list of creatures, you change their look, and you can customize the attacks. But the first move of the list (like a Goomba's Headbonk or a Koopa's Shell Shot) would be always the same, and the later attacks (green and red circle ones) would be based on what you pick for the first one (blue circle). That work somehow like a skill system.

- Afterwards, everything plays pretty much like the N64 and Gamecube games. You can enter quests to get badges, equipment and stars. These stars grant you special abilities, like the Star Spirits / Crystal Stars in the normal PM games.

- At certain points in the game, you'll be able to create a new partner from a limited set of creatures. For example, in Bowser's castle, you might have the opportunity to create a Koopatrol, Hammer Bros. or Magikoopa. At Creepy Steeple/Boo Mansion, you could create a Boo or a Swooper. In Yoshi's Island, you could find a yoshi egg which will eventually hatch into a baby Yoshi.

- The "crowd" system from PM2 is back (it was awesome, by the way). According to your level, and the number of battles you win, more NPCs will watch your fights, and the number of seats will eventually increase. However, you're also able to join the crowd of someone else's fight. While watching it (you can quit at anytime), you'll be able to throw items at anyone... meaning if you want to cause some trouble, you'll have to stock up on soda cans and pebbles.

- Of course, you can trade and sell stuff with everyone! Badges, items, you name it. The only thing you can't sell is important stuff like stars, shoes or hammers.

- Partying system: Enemy parties can be as big as they want, so why can't the player's? Up to two other friends can join you in battles, and when using special attacks, everyone is involved in the action commands!

- Glitz Pit: The pit is a PvP place, where people fight into various leagues and only ONE shall wear the champion's belt!

...that's all for now. =P

Posted on another forum back in March; both of which are not me.

EeinX

Well, especially if you have never made a game before, You shouldn't get high hopes into jumping right into 3d design, whether you are taking classes for it or not. You have to have a very tight grasp on console/pc Graphics API's before you can even think about designing an engine for your game.
I would reccommend practicing remaking smaller games like tetris, etc. before jumping into the huge things like actually making a full game. it can be tedious, but you'll end up doing dumb stuff like that in your classes anyways. In High School, a friend and I spent half a year learning openGL programming in java and made a Strategy RPG type war game with crappy 2d sprites and backgrounds., etc.
You have to take in consideration that you must design every aspect, especially if you plan on doing it on your own. You must be good with Photoshop and sprite design, or 3dmax (or whatever 3d Drafting program you use). the use of those drafting programs in conjunction with the api's, and the logic behind it. Chances are, you wont be too thrilled with your first working game, but you will have to really put alot of effort into it. If you don't know what pointers are, or how to use multidimensional arrays or classes, then maybe you should go through a few books. :D
I wanted to be a game programmer, but my heart is in music, so that left me way behind.

archard

I think we all thought making video games would be teh ultimate job at one point... then you grow up to realize that it's actually painstakingly tedious work and it sort of grows off you, heh.

----------

DANG

EeinX

You seriously have to be completely immersed in it. =]
I know exactly how that goes.
I used to be a huge web programmer. Programming all kinds of random junk, but i kinda grew out of that, because i realized it wasn't my thing, even though i was pretty badass.

archard

You were a pretty badass programmer. You should still consider doing freelance stuff on the side for extra cash.

----------

DANG

EeinX

I'm white. No can do.

archard

"EeinX" posted:

I'm white. No can do.

Web programmers can't be white?

----------

DANG

EeinX

They can, but I'm not sure why I don't do it. can't find good clients.

archard

Use getafreelancer.com

----------

DANG

Rick

Unusual

I noticed earlier that you guys said the job doesn't pay well

A college professor guy that used to be in the biz was taking about Game Design at my school and he said you start off at about maybe $35,000 (Sure not great)

Once you start making a name for yourself and get into it for a bit, you start making six figure incomes quickly

----------

I opened one box of cereal only to find a totally different bag of cereal inside... such is life

archard

I guess it all depends, but the thing is that publishers are hardly even breaking even anymore with their games and I doubt they can afford to pay their employees a whole lot. If you're a programmer though, you'll easily be making 35k+ starting out, but the point is that if you want to make serious money game design probably isn't the best place to go.

----------

DANG

eddhead

Rock Distributor

I guess it kinda comes down to that age-old question: Do you want to make crazy money, or do you wanna do what you love... very rarely do those two aspects exist in the same career. Though, I bet people like... say... Shigeru Miyamoto make a live-able income.

----------

If you take away my violent video games, I'll kill you!! I'll kill your whole freakin' family!!!

archard

"eddhead" posted:

I guess it kinda comes down to that age-old question: Do you want to make crazy money, or do you wanna do what you love... very rarely do those two aspects exist in the same career. Though, I bet people like... say... Shigeru Miyamoto make a live-able income.

That's very true, which is why I wanna own my own business some day. You can't run a successful business unless you love the product/service you're selling. It's the same deal with building websites. People come out with all these stupid ideas for websites hoping they can get rich off advertising, but 99% of them fail. This site is successful because I love the "product", if you will.

----------

DANG

betting

Heridan

I would like to gamble in the form of sports betting. Where can I bet?

betting

Wuzzy

Oh guys, I have a great solution for you that will satisfy all your gambling needs. Recently, a cool betting site 1xbet Sri Lanka has launched in Sri Lanka, where everyone can start making money successfully. Just use your knowledge of the sport. I like to make money betting on cricket and football. Do not forget that success comes with experience, so the main thing is knowledge about the sport in order to succeed.