You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Easily Fingerstyle

Niall Hamilton

Niall Hamilton

Basically, I'm new here. I've added a few tabs, and I thought that transcribing would make me a better guitarist. I've played casually for nine years, however, I've only gotten my act together recently, in the last two.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any easy fingerstyle tabs from the depths of the site that would be interesting to play.

http://www.gametabs.net/chrono-trigger/wind-scene-600-ad

This is what I would call easy for myself at the moment.

Also, slightly off topic, but anyone have any tips on soloing and generally improv.
And, I can't figure the name for it, but when percussion is used on the guitar, is there any lessons for that. I simply don't know what to look up.

Thanks in advance!

Music theory will help you

thedstring

Nate Brooks

Music theory will help you learn to improv. If you know exactly what others are playing, you know exactly what you can add without sounding bad.

I would look up some music theory lessons online. They start out really dry and boring, but in the end, you'll be happy you did it, or so I hear. I don't really know how they work, I was a music major for a year and grew up around music. I've taken actual music theory classes, so I'm not sure how online stuff compares.

A helping hand?

Light27

Hello, I'm new here. I've been playing guitar for 9 years (self-taught) along with piano (6 months). I would say I have a good grasp of basic music theory such as reading musical notation, scales, key of a song etc... I basically learn everything I know from books and other people.

Can anyone tell me how to make tabs? I know how to write music scores, but not tabs...
Would using Guitar Pro 5 help me do it?

And does anyone have any tips on learning a song by ear? Specially the solo part...

http://www.gametabs.net/lesso

thedstring

Nate Brooks

http://www.gametabs.net/lessons/how-to-read-and-write

That should help you a little.

If you have any other questions after reading that, go ahead and ask here or make your own forum topic. I can probably help you with any question you have.

If you know how to write

thedstring

Nate Brooks

If you know how to write something in standard notation or tabs on guitar pro then follow a few steps.

Click the "File" menu at the top of the screen. There should be an "Export" option, select "ASCII".

That will export your tab into a basic .txt file and it will look like most of the tabs here. You can then edit your .txt file in notepad, if you're using windows. If you're not using windows, you can use whatever text editor you're familiar with.

Some people like to just write their songs out in the basic text editor though, like notepad. If you do that, I recommend making a template.txt or a blank-tab.txt and just put a bunch of this:

|------------------|------------------|------------------|

You can just copy / paste what I just did if you want.

And for learning a song by

thedstring

Nate Brooks

And for learning a song by ear, just try listening to something simple that you don't know the music to already. Try to figure it out. Windows Media Player has a function that will let you slow a song down while you listen to it, you can use that feature to play your song very slowly to begin with, or for particularly difficult sounding parts of a song.

If you want a better program for slowing songs down with some other features, like trying to guess notes and chords for you, try using Transcribe. It's only a 1 month trial, but it can help you get used to transcribing by ear. Here's a link to the download site
http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/download.html

I always listen to about 1 or 2 measures worth at a time, over and over, til I get that part figured out. When I'm done, I move to the next 1 or 2 measures. When you're all done, check your work, make sure it sounds just like what you're listening to.

For the most part, fingering is arbitrary and hard to figure out, just use your best judgement of which way is easiest to play it. Try the same notes in different positions up the neck.

You can also look for a midi

thedstring

Nate Brooks

You can also look for a midi of a song on one of many sites online, or just do a google search. In guitar pro, you can click "File" then "Import" and choose midi. Select your midi and guitar pro will separate your midi into different instruments. Guitar Pro is not the only program that will let you import from midi.

It usually looks really choppy, but you can figure out how to mix instruments into 1 with some elbow grease. Don't be afraid to leave out notes if you have to, just try to keep as many important notes as you can.

Thank you!

Light27

Thanks for all the answers! This site looked kinda lonely so I thought I wasn't going to get any answers until next week! I really appreciate your time. :)

Slow down the track, huh? Great idea! I think I can use Audacity for it, because it can slow it down without changing the pitch.

Also, is it safe to assume that one song is played in one scale only? For example, The Hell Song by Sum41 was played in pentatonic minor throughout the song. Are there songs that uses more than one scale? Please spare me if you're going to give some classical piece as an example, I know classical songs are weird. I'm talking about current music.

There's a song I wanted to tab - I already put it in the requests - it's called Arigatou Minna. I got the main theme down, just the solo that poses a problem. But with your advice, I think I'm ready to tackle it once more.

I'm sorry but I have to

thedstring

Nate Brooks

I'm sorry but I have to disappoint you. There is a lot of key changes and/or scale changes in current music, especially if you're coming here to this site. Game music is almost a classical genre.

You will find a lot of music that doesn't change key or scale, but so much good music changes keys or scales. It would be a shame to avoid music just because it changes.

You're going to just need to get comfortable with key changes. I don't know of a modern artist of any genre that doesn't do at least 1 key change in their library.

You can hear when a key changes pretty easily if you practice listening for it. I know its intimidating, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly if you try.

Sorry

Niall Hamilton

Niall Hamilton

Thanks for the awesome explanation here. I didn't receive a email that you'd responded, so I wasn't trying to be stuck up. Thanks, I know a rough amount of music theory for a little improv, I'll look up some now.

----------

Niall Hamilton