You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

kenor

The Cardsharp

I'm really not sure whether I'm posting this in the right forum or not. I have a slight problem with my composition WIP. I find it "hollow", like it misses the sound richness and I cannot find a way to get rid of this feeling. If you listen a little bit, you might get an idea what I'm talking about (warning - it's very rough and unpolished):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/304613/export.mp3

I tried filling the empty spaces a little at the end of the first part but it still does not feel right. Could anyone provide me with an idea or personal approach (or some composition rule I am missing) to fix this? thx

Re: WIP help

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

would be easier if we had the midi or gp file.

You could always try to add more chordal tones that go well with the melody tones to strengthen it in the background.

try to do a little more with the melody and build up for the sections you want to have a bigger impact.

Look at music you like and try to see what makes them so good.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

It could be more of a timbre

thedstring

Nate Brooks

It could be more of a timbre thing. All your instruments are very mellow. Try putting something in that doesn't blend in so well. I also don't hear much, if any, dynamic control, as Giogiogio4 mentioned.

You don't need more chord notes if you don't want to, it sounds like a full enough song in that area if that's what you were going for. But the notes do melt together. Try adding a 9th note to a few chords. If you don't know much about chord theory, here's an example.

Instead of this:

|-0-|
|-0-|
|-1-|
|-2-|
|-2-|
|-0-|

try this:

|-0-|
|-0-|
|-1-|
|-4-|
|-2-|
|-0-|

Also, a section of a song in a higher register is a way to break up the parts. Most choruses in any pop song are sung in higher notes than the verses. Try revoicing your lead instrument. Maybe transpose all notes in your higher section up 5 notes, usually 7 frets.

Most notes will be a perfect 5th (the interval of 7 frets) and will usually not clash with anything you already have written, but will accentuate that part of the song and give it a different feel.

Another common chord

thedstring

Nate Brooks

Another common chord coloration is to swap your tonic chord (the I chord) down for the submediant or minor chord (the VI chord) but leave all of your leads and counter-melody instruments the same.

So instead of playing a G chord along with all the other stuff you wrote, try changing only 1 instrument to an Em while the rest are in G. It will make it sound like you're playing the Em with the added D notes from the G chord, making your Em sound like an Em7, or if your G chord is still dominating the majority of the sound, the added E notes to the G chord will make the G sound like a G add 13 chord.

Em to Em7 or Em7
|-0----0--or--0-|
|-0----0------3-|
|-0----0------0-|
|-2----0------2-|
|-2----2------2-|
|-0----0------0-|

G to Gadd13
|-3----0--or--0-|
|-0----3------3-|
|-0----0------4-|
|-0----0------5-|