You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

The Future of Video Game Music

Hyunwoo

Hello everybody!!

Although video game retail sales are declining, The culture and awareness of videogames is rising.

It is being more recognized as an art and less of a nerdy/childish form of entertainment.

Videogame Soundtracks are also rising in popularity.

Do you believe music in videogames will one day equal or surpass music in cinema? (popularity)

As a Film student and a Gamer

Deiselc

Deiselc

As a Film student and a Gamer I find this an interesting question. In terms of quality video game music is as good as a movie soundtrack and has been for a long time, and since video games themselves are becoming closer to movies in style so are the soundtracks, therefore becoming more widely accessible. Many video game company's are starting to hire composers that have worked on movies, Hans Zimmer, Trent Reznor, Harry Gregson-Williams etc.

However despite as much as I would like Video game soundtracks to be as popular as Movie soundtracks. This will never happen due to movies being far more widely accessible. Anyone can enjoy a movie but alot of people dont enjoy playing video games. But this is just my opinion, very interesting question :)

----------

Deiselc

Re: As a Film student and a Gamer

auriplane

Deiselc said

Many video game company's are starting to hire composers that have worked on movies, [...] Trent Reznor

16 years ago!

Harry Gregson-Williams

11 years ago!

Hmm.

----------

Auriplane!!

I still consider the 90s

Deiselc

Deiselc

I still consider the 90s fairly recent.

----------

Deiselc

Seeing the title, I was

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

Seeing the title, I was expecting something like "Uematsu died :(" lolol

Really? Maybe its different outside of France, but I never heard much people say "I like vgm" (FF doesn't count)

Re: Seeing the title, I was

karathrow

RexLeRouge said

Seeing the title, I was expecting something like "Uematsu died :(" lolol

Really? Maybe its different outside of France, but I never heard much people say "I like vgm" (FF doesn't count)

I think aside from some tracks being somewhat iconic, most people would not know or care what music is in their games. I'm always sad when I hear "I just turn off the in game music and play my own music" :(

I think some games are more

auriplane

I think some games are more suited to that than others. There are games I can't imagine playing without the music, and games I mute every time (even on SNES).

----------

Auriplane!!

status quo

Jacob31593

status quo

I could never play a game

Hyunwoo

I could never play a game without its music... Even if its a game like Tetris.

VGM does so much for me . Take for example, Metal Gear Solid. It's soundtrack makes it so much more cinematic - so epic.
I remember playing windwaker as a child and being so immersed in sailing because of The Great Sea Theme. I could almost taste the salty ocean air and feel the trade winds rustle through my hair XD

I feel like as time rolls by, videogame soundtracks will be recognized because they are becoming more and more mainstream.

Maybe in a few years we'll see what happens.

I love vgm. Its the best.

jimmyx27

I love vgm. Its the best. Maybe im jut a huge nerd but id listen to the soundtrack to donkey kong country 2 all day. I listen to these old tracks and its just freakin sweet

I really don't see that many

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

I really don't see that many Hollywood movie soundtracks as popular as video game ones.
Movies tend to reply the same music Over and over again with changes around the main melody.

Even more movies tend to just have radio music with a few actual orch tracks. Look how big
the avengers was. Out of that whole movie I maybe remember 1 actual theme and I doubt it will
go down in history as a work of art. Unless the movie is Scifi or fantasy the soundtrack is almost
always a 50%+ bust. Most of the uneducated will only flock to those songs for either "Meets metal"
videos or use it in a FMV or funny video.

Hans Zimmer is one of the best but like I said most movie soundtracks dont have much to them.
Last Samurais music was great. I own the whole soundtrack But out of the entire thing most of the tracks are just simple build up themes to the main melody line that carries throughout the movie. Pirates has a few great themes as well, But most people are drawn to the main melody or Davy Jones. What I guess im trying to say is that
all the music tries to carry a central theme and really does not offer as much. Powerful indeed but not much.
While Video game ( old ) tend to have plenty of strong stand alone music.

RPGs have the strongest of the soundtracks when it comes to gaming. Anything that has a flushed out world that you will spend hours in will always put more work into the music. Action and shooters tend to just have climatic cues but don't go much further than that.

NIER was my favorite soundtrack next to KH BBS this gaming generation. it was amazing that the singer pretty much made up a language to sing in the songs that sounded amazing. To me I feel like this generation has been lacking compared to the older days. graphics are becoming more important.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Holy crap, The Two Towers

musenji

Holy crap, The Two Towers came out 10 years ago. I am so old.

ps Lord of the Rings and Star Wars would be examples of movie franchises with memorable themes. Also Indiana Jones, Superman, Jaws...man, a lot of the most memorable themes are John Williams stuff. And HE rips off classical composers.

Edit: hey, for you younger people (under 20), did you see the Lord of the Rings movies when they came out, and what did you think of them? It'd be interesting to hear someone's perspective, when they saw those movies when less than 10 years old.

Also did anyone here see the prequel Star Wars before the originals? Do you think the prequels aren't as bad, and the older ones are just boring?

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Re: Holy crap, The Two Towers

Giogiogio4

musenji said

ps Lord of the Rings and Star Wars would be examples of movie franchises with memorable themes. Also Indiana Jones, Superman, Jaws...man, a lot of the most memorable themes are John Williams stuff. And HE rips off classical composers.

Edit: hey, for you younger people (under 20), did you see the Lord of the Rings movies when they came out, and what did you think of them? It'd be interesting to hear someone's perspective, when they saw those movies when less than 10 years old.

Also did anyone here see the prequel Star Wars before the originals? Do you think the prequels aren't as bad, and the older ones are just boring?

Guess you forgot to read the line where I said " Scifi and fantasy" i will add disney to that list, have the strongest.Outside of that most movies don't have full songs. most are short themes with a larger number of the tracks just being different ways of progressing to that theme based on different moments in the movie.

Eagle eyes main theme is repeated in allot of tracks. A lost of a twin is actually the same song. transformers has 1 main theme with the rest being a mix of radio music. In 20 years are people going to google "grudge" theme on piano compared to how many people google final fantasy music? RPGs have over 100 tracks at times with over 90% of them songs being full complete separate musical movements. Star wars episode 3s soundtrack had 14 tracks or so and allot of them were repeated themes, just at a different mood in the movie.

Popularity and quality are 2 different things. Is twilight's soundtrack popular because the music was great or because the movie is popular? Many people enjoy FF music from games they never played. I introduced many people to game music and they fell right in love with it. I'm sure if a movie was released and somehow worked the FF9 soundtrack into it that soundtrack would be even more famous.

Best LOTR song to me was the "Shire"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cK6KK7NhdQU

The LOTR have held up extremely well.
I actually bought the Blue Rays and the movies are simply pure beauty.

----------

I'm not under 20 but I

karathrow

I'm not under 20 but I remember being incredibly high when I saw the two towers.

Consequently, I don't remember that movie that well.

Ranulf

I will not join your gametabs.

musenji said

Dang, really? o.O

Well, I'm 19, and I loved them. The only one I didn't see in theaters was The Fellowship(I don't think I was allowed or something, idk). As for the prequels, I actually saw the older ones first, and also love them; however, I don't hate the prequels as much as everyone else seems to. But, now that I've seen tons of reviews and people hating on it, I admit they're right to hate on it. I've always been the kind of person who just tries to enjoy the experience, but I think I've become more critical of things lately, which makes everything disappointing for the most part. :(

I only watched the LOTR and i

worldeditor11

I only watched the LOTR and i think its quite great though.Well,if my memory serves me correctly,i rewatch it at least a hundred times.

Re: I really don't see that many

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

Giogiogio4 said

RPGs have the strongest of the soundtracks when it comes to gaming.

CROSS COUNTER

TRUTH RESTORED

22 here, when I watched the

Ennea

humhum..

22 here, when I watched the first LotR Movie I didnt get it at all but after a rewatch I loved it. In conclusion I found the two towers and return of the king to be the most epic shit ever. I mean.. the helms klamm battle was so awesome, how can you not love this ?

I watched the first Star Wars (Episode I not IV) in cinema, then my dad showed me the other episodes and even for a child they were incredibly good - especially the daddy vader scene blow me off my chair, got kinda lucky that this wasnt spoilered to me. Nowadays everyone knows this even when not knowing any star wars movies.

The best soundtrack in VGM must be Nier, I agree! Can't even put it into proper words how high I rate the tracks. Shadowlord must be best boss track I've ever heard, kinda sad that the game itself isn't that good. Just imagine it having a AAA budget.. Woulda been legendary!

That being said: Movie soundtracks will be higher rated for a while in the future. Games aren't to everyones taste while movies are vastly spread - even though people don't specifically listen to the soundtracks they still feel the atmosphere the music conveys with certain scenes. For example do many people like the pirates of carribbean main theme. Sadly they don't really know the rest of the soundtrack but only this one theme who is more of a "headliner" of the ost. But I guess people who are really into this kind of music dont really care at all if it's movies, games or whatever.

Re: Seeing the title, I was

Hakoria

Laon King

RexLeRouge said

A lot of frenchies recognize famous Ghibli tunes at least, although that isn't VGM. But yeah, besides the crowd that goes to conventions and those too lazy (like I), when it comes to French music students they're there for classical/jazz/rock/metal/etc, haven't met one that even hinted on wanting to be a vgm composer. Maybe some do but aren't willing to mention it (could be like my case, as it's simply not one of my main goals), I've heard someone else there practicing Tina's FFVI PC a month ago followed by an attempt with castlevania's dance of pales, so it's steadily rising in popularity just not out-spoken (compared to ghibli where people don't hesitate to say "oh, howl's moving castle" if I play it to others).

I'll wait for the day for vnm to get recognized more >:

@musenji: 21 in a month, I loved the lotr movies as a kid, saw each of them at the theaters when they came out. The CGs amazed me the most though, followed by the plot then the ost.

Re: I really don't see that many

Giogiogio4

I'm sorry but what has more views? I'm sure the Skyrim alone has more then all those combined. And Im sure more people come here look for rpg and adventure game themes moreso then any of those. Guilty gear is 1 series of hundreds that has a decent soundtrack, not because of the game or genre either, Because it's Metal.
batman is what again? A movie game.

Plus im sure you will find more people who have rpg and adventure game music on their ipods then you do half those games. I dont recall a silver surfer Sheet music book or a donkey kong one. I don't even really recall there being entire orchestral events to play those songs. there have been many Final fantasy ones.

----------

Skyrim again

worldeditor11

To Giogiogio4,i think morrowind OST is much more better than skyrim.

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

Giogiogio4 said

Popularity and quality are 2 different things.

I'm sorry but what has more views?

Giogiogio4

As in a 500 million dollar blockbuster that is in movie theaters, tv ads constantly
and hundreds of BS movie reviews. Something Like Twilight that doesn't deserve even a 4th of the attention it gets compared to other movies.

Like COD vs NIER. Nier has a much better soundtrack yet COD would had many more views.

----------

By the way , I thought I'd

Hyunwoo

By the way , I thought I'd share,

"Austin Wintory made history , ! His Journey (Game) soundtrack is the first to receive a Grammy nomination "

http://www.grammy.com/nominees?genre=11

for the 55th grammy.

Video game soundtrack making progress ^^

Re: By the way , I thought I'd

karathrow

Hyunwoo said

"Austin Wintory made history , ! His Journey (Game) soundtrack is the first to receive a Grammy nomination "

for the 55th grammy.

Someone loan my poor ass their ps3 so I can play this and heavy rain. QQ

Re: By the way , I thought I'd

Giogiogio4

Hyunwoo said

for the 55th grammy.

Grammys mean nothing when Skrillex has 5 or more.
Industry is dead.
Dead like Sonic the hedgehog while sega continues to rape the body.

----------