You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest # 34 -- Undersea

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Due: November 4, 2012

Hello all! This is my first time hosting the Tune Contest! I hope all goes well. It'll also be my first time judging. I’m a little scared about that hahaha xD. But enough talk, let’s get to it!

The next theme is…

Undersea

I thought it would be nice to do an undersea theme. I know it’s never been done before (unless I am blind and didn't see it haha) so I thought it would be nice. I know in video games you really don’t go underwater much. But it’s a possibility. So, I’d like for the contestants to try to capture that undersea feeling. I’d give a description that I would use were I to compose such a theme, but I don't want to influence anyone that doesn’t want to be haha.

Rules:
1.It must be an original piece.
2.It must be at least 45 seconds to 1 minute long (it can be longer if you desire that)

You are free to orchestrate your piece in any way you want.

I suggest trying to put yourself in the shoes of a composer who is writing an underwater theme for a video game. Perhaps the player(s) will be spending a long time underwater. If that is the case, you may want to make the theme interesting. Or it could be a simple looping theme. Perhaps the player will spend on a brief moment underwater. In that case, it should still be interesting haha. You never know which case it would be. So you must decide on that and compose according to your decision. But it’s all up to the composer, which is you. :-)

This isn't required, but it would be nice: Give a little description of your piece when you submit it. It could be a simple description or a lengthy and detailed one. The choice is yours, if you decide to do it. :-)

Nice Choice

Murzain

I actually started making a song that I thought had an underwater vibe to it last year that I never finished. I'm definitely in on this one. Especially since my song's already half done XD

----------

http://soundcloud.com/etcetera-etc
Is it really a sin if we both come out even?

Lucky :P

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Hahaha lucky you! I look forward to hearing your entry :-).

----------

"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you."

Mine.

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

Here yo go. I was going to add strings and stuff but I'm lazy this time around so I just put something together.

IDK what's up with the 2nd song. Weird sound once it's uploaded.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

I should enter, because I

auriplane

I should enter, because I need to write a song like this for a game I'm working on. But I'm lazy. I don't know if I'll enter :-)

Cool theme, though!

----------

Auriplane!!

Nice job Gio. The song has

Murzain

Nice job Gio. The song has got a floaty, magical feel to it that I think fit the theme fantastically. What was the main progression of chords that you used? I really liked it!

Also, I'm really frustrated because I feel like my song is one little melody away from being complete. I feel like everything is in its right place, but I still have one empty space that needs to be filled in order to bring this to life. D:<

----------

Re: Nice job Gio. The song has

Giogiogio4

Murzain said

Nice job Gio. The song has got a floaty, magical feel to it that I think fit the theme fantastically. What was the main progression of chords that you used? I really liked it!

Also, I'm really frustrated because I feel like my song is one little melody away from being complete. I feel like everything is in its right place, but I still have one empty space that needs to be filled in order to bring this to life. D:<

ha thanks, I tend to just random play. the intro is Dm-BbM-FM-CM Barres then BbM-CM-Am-Dm -Gm-Csus to CM. IDk the rest here and there with sus4 chords. some open string "droning". I really just play the chords and throw a melody over it. If I think too much I never get anywhere lol

M= Major
m= Minor
b= Flat
Sus= C on the 6th string. 8th fret. Do a full powerchord ( 3 notes ) and add 1 more top to Sus it. then a simple major barre chord on the same spot.

----------

:)

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

:)

----------

:o

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Only 2-3 contestants? :o Where is everyone?! :D

----------

Re: :o

Giogiogio4

most people wait til the last min :P

----------

I am sorry, I have absolutely

kenor

The Cardsharp

I am sorry, I have absolutely no time this week, but the theme sounds cool.

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

Just about......

Murzain

I think mine's done. I'm just gonna sleep on it and make sure it's ready.

----------

3 in 1

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Gio: Ah, I see. :D

Kenor: No worries. And thank you :)

Murzain: Alrighty :D

Edit:

I got a little bored and thought I'd quickly compose something for this, even though it won't be in the contest. So, here's my take on a water theme for a video game.

DanteUruzu - The Space Below

It was originally 45 seconds, but I decided to make it repeat once. I was thinking about making some slight changes during the repeat but decided against it. Maybe later :D.

----------

cool tune contest :3

Pasto

Eat your Pasta ! ! !

cool tune contest :3

----------

"Pasta Is Good For You" - The Pasta Guy

Re: cool tune contest :3

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

:D

----------

One More Day

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

One more day remains! If anyone needs an extension please let me know. :-)

----------

Re: One More Day

Jacob31593

DanteUruzu said

One more day remains! If anyone needs an extension please let me know. :-)

Submitted on Thu, 11/01/2012 - 14:47

DanteUruzu said

D:

Oops

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Sorry about that! That was a mistake on my end (saying one more day remains). I'll fix that right away!
Thank you for pointing it out!

Edit: Odd...it won't let me edit that particular post...hmm... Well, I'll correct myself here!

Three (3) more days remain! If anyone needs an extension please let me know! :-)

----------

Song

Murzain

Here's my submission for the contest

I imagine a character that has been thrown into the ocean after losing a fight. He opens his eyes under the water and slowly sees all of the life blooming around him. Fish of every color swarm in different directions and the bright coral is reflected in the moonlight. As he sinks deeper, he begins to run out of air. His consciousness fades and the at the same rate every appeared, it vanishes from his sight.

----------

I always try to make at least

jit

I always try to make at least a submission for these contests, and I'm not too late! Sorry for the last minute entry, had a lot of crap to do.

Melody of the Sea

Am I the only one who

Giogiogio4

Am I the only one who actually uses a real instruments anymore in these contest? -_-

Wheres the challengeto yourself of making a theme on guitar? Even a rockband mic or Iphone/smart phone
can record :P

----------

Re: Am I the only one who

jit

Am I the only one who actually uses a real instruments anymore in these contest? -_-

I guess

Wheres the challengeto yourself of making a theme on guitar? Even a rockband mic or Iphone/smart phone
can record :P

Rules:
You are free to orchestrate your piece in any way you want.

It never said anyone HAD to challenge themselves with guitar. Most of the people that do these contests do have recordings if you want to hear them play guitar/other live instruments, but these contests are mainly to stimulate the brain to compose music with the constraints given, however they feel like.

Re: Am I the only one who

Murzain

I really like using real instruments, but I don't have any equipment to record them. Whenever I use real instruments, I have to record it at my friend's house. However, I'll never get better at arranging with virtual instruments if I don't try to do it more often.

----------

Soon!!

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

I will begin the judging process soon (sometime early tomorrow). If there's anyone who needs a little extra time, please let me know! :D

----------

Re: Mine.

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Gio: I probably should have asked this before, but it slipped my mind xD Which one of the two compositions do you want to use for the contest?

----------

IDc, the first 1?

Giogiogio4

IDc, the first 1?

----------

RESULTS!

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Alrighty, here we are with the results! It's my first time judging and I'm a little afraid haha. Anyway, here we go!

Gio – Ocean of Stolen Memories: Well done! I really like the effects you used in this song. It gives the sense of being submerged in water. I enjoyed sitting back in my chair and imaging myself underwater. I felt like I was deep underwater all alone and I felt quite sad, like I had lost something dear to me. When the electric guitars kicked in I felt a bit of determination to gain back what it was that I had lost. I felt as if I was swimming to the surface. You did very well :D.

Jit – Water: My, my! Very nice song you’ve got here, Jit. I loved the sounds of the waves of the ocean, I’m not too sure if one would hear ocean waves if they were actually under the water :P. I imagine sailing on the ocean when I hear the waves. There are moments, though, when the sounds of the waves are low, and at that moment I imagine being underwater. This is a great song :D.

Muzrain – Watersong: Ah, this one is good, too! The ostinato that starts at the beginning really does give a sense of someone being thrown into the water and slowly sinking to the lower depths of it (the water). The description fits the song well :D. I could imagine the scene happening as I sat in my chair with my eyes closed. When the drums come in I kind of imagine him trying to helplessly swim his way to the top due to his loss of breath. You did a job well done :D.

Each one of your pieces were great which made it a little hard to choose a winner. If there were to be three winners, you three would, obviously, all win haha. But there can only be one!

WINNER: Gio!

Congratulations to you all! I hope you accept my decision! :-)

----------

Damn, now I have to come up

Giogiogio4

Damn, now I have to come up with something XD.

That was my main overall feel of it. The ocean takes away without remorse. But also brings life.

----------

No worries

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Haha don't worry, coming up with a contest is the easy part. It's the contestants who have to compose the music for the theme that have the hard part hahaha.

I think you portrayed that quite well in your composition. :)

----------