You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Audacity issue

musenji

I'm not used to recording with Audacity. I have a plan for a recording that I'd love to submit here, but it would mean getting Audacity to work for me first.

Problem 1: recording one track (track 2) over another (track 1) results in track 2 having a slight delay throughout. Has anyone else experienced this? Do I set the latency or something like that?

Problem 2: so I tried to fix problem 1 by deleting a little bit of track 2 at the beginning, so that it would line up. But when I hit delete, it somehow auto-selected more of track 2 than I was intending to select--so much that now track 2 comes in BEFORE track 1. It did this every time.

Or maybe I could keep trying to get my regular recording software, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, to work in Win7 even though it was written for Win98. :p

its been a long time since

Jacob31593

its been a long time since i've recorded anything
but i just opened up audacity and said buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh, bah, bah bah bah bah bah - and then said it once more on a different track and it seems to be pretty well synched!
perhaps your processor cant handle it?
do you have the asio driver installed?

I just changed latency

musenji

I just changed latency correction from -130 ms to -175 ms and that worked. I should've tried it first. (I honed in of course, I tried 160 then 170 then 175.) I don't know what caused the problem, but I know how to fix it now.

I still had that "problem 2" though, where it wouldn't let me select a really short clip to delete. I need to play around with it more to define what the problem there really is.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

are you zoomed in? i dont

Jacob31593

are you zoomed in? i dont know, i've used audacity to make some crappy ringtones for myself and never had that problem when deleting the majority of a song

yep, I was zoomed in very,

musenji

yep, I was zoomed in very, very far. It -seemed- to delete up to the point where sound started on track 2. Maybe there is some kind of "delete all the empty space if some empty space is selected to be deleted at the beginning" option. Or not. Who knows :p

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Well at the bottom of

Well at the bottom of Audacity, there's an area where it says "Selection Start" and "Selection End". Then, if you click the little drop down arrow, I have mine set to hh:mm:ss + hundredths for all of them. Now, once you have that set, it should be a lot easier to select how much time you want to cut off. For example if you were to enter something so it looked like this: Selection Start: 00:00:00 Selection End: 00:00:02 it would cut off barely any time. And although your problem never happens with me, I'd suggest this way to fix it. Hope this helps (:

Sweet Link, it was one of

musenji

Sweet Link, it was one of your tabs that I was going to record!

----------

Haha well I hope it helped!

Haha well I hope it helped! Tell me how it's going and if you have any more problems. :D