You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Altering the "last five comments" display

musenji

So, I've noticed that often, one recording or tab will have a conversation in it, which floods the "last five comments" displayed on the front page, causing me (and probably others) to miss comments that I would've been interested in, but were flooded out.

I don't know of a benefit in having five comments on the front page, all of them on the same item--and it happens quite a lot. So I thought of an idea.

What if instead of showing the "last five comments", it showed the "last five comments on separate items"? That way, if there were, say, 10 comments on a single recording in the last hour, it would just link to the most recent comment on that recording, and people could click through and see all of the other comments that had been made. Then other items that had been commented on that day would still be in the top five.

Thoughts?

Not in favor. I like having

auriplane

Not in favor. I like having the last 5, and being able to click for more.

----------

Auriplane!!

yap, also noticed that... At

Vulpes

Shadowfox

yap, also noticed that...
At least the answers to a comment shouldn't be in there ... I mean, those are mostly interesting to those who are gonna be answered^__^ (omg, I nearly wrote who're xD)

That would be a golden middle of both sides^^

MEGREE

zen03y

CATFOOD

MEGREE

I fear change, sorry moose.

karathrow

I fear change, sorry moose. :(

not in favor

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

not in favor

For those not in favor, could

musenji

For those not in favor, could you explain why not?

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Imma bandwagon with the

SalemJenet

Imma bandwagon with the rest.
Not in favor.

I need to stop taking time to

musenji

I need to stop taking time to think about my posts.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Re: I need to stop taking time to

karathrow

musenji said

To answer your question, I just like the way it is now and don't really see what you're proposing as better. I don't really have a better explanation than that.

Re: Imma bandwagon with the

Hakoria

Laon King

SalemJenet said

Imma bandwagon with the rest.
Not in favor.

Imma anti-bandwagon like always.
In favor.

(No subject)

SalemJenet

(No subject)

Hakoria

Laon King

I wouldn't mind, but if

Ennea

humhum..

I wouldn't mind, but if anyone is really interested in comments there's always the "more" button, still not a bad idea though.

It's probably a lot of work

musenji

It's probably a lot of work to make a change that would not be all that important to people, then.

----------

musenji saidI need to stop

auriplane

musenji said

It's not fair to imply that other people's opinions are ill-considered because they haven't explained them:

• Failing to defend a point doesn't make it false;
  • Failing to explain a thought doesn't make it thoughtless;
  • Failing to rationalize intuition doesn't make it wrong.

Anyway, since you ask, I'll explain:

I think it'd be annoying. I'd have to click "more" every time to see if any posts looked interesting, and the two lists wouldn't line up, so there'd be an additional cognitive cost to map the two, whereas now, the mapping is straightforward (first five to first five). Alternatively, I could start checking the "more" page exclusively, but ignoring the front page has a cognitive cost as well, so either way, the usability goes down the drain. (I'd probably just use a browser add-on to hide the front page list, but most users wouldn't.) Not good.

I'd cope fine with the changes, of course--it'd just be a little annoying. So I vote no.

(It's not a big deal to me, which is why I didn't spend much time on my post, initially.)

----------

Auriplane!!

Actually I was partially

musenji

Actually I was partially responding to a message I got in chat (but of course wasn't directed at me, simply stated): "I hear musenji's getting owned in the forum". I responded: "Yes, getting owned. Because it's a competition."

And, I took the time to explain my reasoning as opposed to just saying the idea itself. Since the replies given didn't really explain anything, I assumed nobody really cared. So, my point was, "I should stop caring so much, since nobody else does."

In my last post, I had already accepted that the vote was against the idea, and was trying to gracefully bow out.

----------

Hehe, I wasn't privy to that,

auriplane

Hehe, I wasn't privy to that, so all I had to go on was what you actually said! ;-)

I thought you were being snarky. Or possibly sassy.

----------

Auriplane!!

Wow my brain fails. Did I

musenji

Wow my brain fails. Did I post and then edit? Okay well reread the post I guess, I forget what I wrote first, lol

----------

What you mean by the two

musenji

What you mean by the two lists, are the top five comments in front, and then the "more" list? yeah, they wouldn't line up...there would be 5 separate topics on the top 5 and then maybe 10 messages from a single topic in the more list. I guess the solution to that would be to actually revamp the entire system so that only one comment from each topic was shown on the lists, all the way down. It would actually be the same as the "most recent topics" system for the forum. Someone making a comment on something would essentially bring that thing back up as a "topic".

But, that would mean you wouldn't be able to tell whether one person made a random comment, or a discussion actually took place.

One thing I don't get...why would you have to click through to more every time, in order to see whether a post looked interesting? Do you mean that in the previews of the comments, you can tell from the first few words whether you'll be interested in reading the comment?

*edit: one big problem with my idea is that, if there's only one comment from each, then you have to remember what you've read so far in order to remember whether you need to click on a thread again to see new stuff. "Did I read a comment on that topic that started with 'Wow, thanks'? I can't remember..."

----------

Ahh, okay. Well, my

auriplane

Ahh, okay. Well, my apologies for countersass.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Ahh, okay. Well, my

musenji

Leapfrog, leapfrog, la la...

----------

Revamping BOTH lists would

auriplane

Revamping BOTH lists would work, except for one thing: on forum posts, your added comments always appear at the end. On a video or request, you can reply to any post, so they could appear anywhere.

----------

Auriplane!!

Yeah that was the other

musenji

Yeah that was the other thing--the links as they are take you directly to the comment, which is good. Though you could still have it do that...I doubt anybody clicks on it, reads the comment, then goes BACK to the front page, clicks the next latest comment to get back into the thread, and so on. At least I don't. I click on the most recent one, and then scroll around.

----------

You sure do care about stuff

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

You sure do care about stuff musenji.

Musenji don't go on irc, it's

karathrow

Musenji don't go on irc, it's a pile of shit.

^iirc you simply stopped

Hakoria

Laon King

^iirc you simply stopped coming once diablo 3 was available and you seemingly got hooked to it (although you did pop back up a few times), unless I missed something else later due to my inactivity around that period of time.

After how addicting Diablo 2

auriplane

After how addicting Diablo 2 was, I decided to skip 3. :/

----------

Auriplane!!

It's by far not as good as 2,

Ennea

humhum..

It's by far not as good as 2, still played 3 for 60 hours straight xD Never touched it again after that - and probably never will.

Re: ^iirc you simply stopped

karathrow

Hakoria said

^iirc you simply stopped coming once diablo 3 was available and you seemingly got hooked to it (although you did pop back up a few times), unless I missed something else later due to my inactivity around that period of time.

Ehhh that didn't really have anything to do with it.

Also Diablo 3 got shitty really quickly unfortunately.

i didnt play diablo 3, i

Jacob31593

i didnt play diablo 3, i thought diablo 2 was boring
whats this topic supposed to be about again?

I haven't played a diablo

musenji

I haven't played a diablo game--even the first one. Should I look into it? Are they FPSers?

----------

They're more addictive than

auriplane

They're more addictive than they are good.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: They're more addictive than

karathrow

auriplane said

I think this is being a little unfair, but I don't want to get into semantics arguing the difference.

I think they are fun games that have some flaws. The main draw to me is how different people's characters can come out and how your style of play or skills or stats/item choices can be drastically different from others.

Unfortunately the actual gameplay itself doesn't really go anywhere. I think there is an important distinction between a game so fun you wish there was some kind of new game+ mode and games that use alternate difficulties as a way of artificially inflating the game length.

Jacob31593

karathrow said

auriplane said

I think this is being a little unfair, but I don't want to get into semantics arguing the difference.

I think they are fun games that have some flaws.

I think whats unfair is assuming the post you quoted was claiming the games werent good!

karathrow

Jacob31593 said

karathrow said

auriplane said

I think they are fun games that have some flaws.

I think whats unfair is assuming the post you quoted was claiming the games werent good!

I didn't say that, I was saying it was unfair to characterize the games sole descriptive trait as "addictive" over "good". So much for avoiding semantics.

We should talk semantics over

Jacob31593

We should talk semantics over what exactly semantics are later!

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I tried diablo 2 once when I was very young, and I didn't touch it for a couple years. my brother told me I was too stupid to understand the appeal.
I tried it again when I was 14 WITH friends and I still didn't get it, I logged about 10 hours and then told myself it just wasn't for me.

I just don't get Diablo man. Someone explain it to me.

There's a scene where you

karathrow

There's a scene where you talk to Tyrael and part of his speech to you is "I AM BROKEN".

My pc crashed during the speech and looped infinitely on "I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN. I AM BROKEN."

Sounds like a good start to a

musenji

Sounds like a good start to a scary movie, kara.

----------