You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Performing live

musenji

...Have you ever? This question is addressed to everyone who reads the thread.

Yes or no, have you performed live (as in, in front of real, live people)? If so, what was the situation? If not, is it something you'd like to do someday, or is it just not your cup of tea?

Does it count if you

auriplane

Does it count if you performed for recitals and for school? :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

i've played in bands since i

tiger child

i've played in bands since i was 14. so plenty of times. but i also grew up doing theater and musicals. so performing is never much of a stretch. its been a while though and im fairly ready to get back to it.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Yes, performing for recitals

musenji

Yes, performing for recitals and for school counts. :-) The key is: there were people there, and you were on a stage or other performing situation.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

in my high school piano class

Jacob31593

in my high school piano class we would all have to play something in front of the class once a week

Then yes, I performed in

auriplane

Then yes, I performed in front of people regularly for about ten years in school :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Once in a "people are

karathrow

Once in a "people are intentionally listening to me" kind of way. However, I sit and play at my school pretty regularly.

Yeah, but with a trumpet.

Yeah, but with a trumpet. Does that count?

Hey, why don't you have any

auriplane

Hey, why don't you have any trumpet 'n guitar 'n bass covers then? xD

----------

Auriplane!!

Other than for family

hslesperance

Other than for family and friends, Just once in middle school, played Welcome to the Jungle with 7 guitars plus bass, I don't think the singer was audible.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

I played a cover of Kaki

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

I played a cover of Kaki King's Neanderthal in front of a large secular christian church.

Don't ask.

That was the most recent.

Like auri, I used to perform

kenor

The Cardsharp

Like auri, I used to perform regularly at school for about 10 years (god I hated that), besides that I played at a couple of charity-like events, and at a wedding once.

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

well... not in musical

Vulpes

Shadowfox

well... not in musical matters...that band where I´ve been didn´t last long and the people in the rehearsal room don´t count ;D )... I just did some martial arts stuff within some demonstrations and few tournaments... and some theater-like performances in early school and Kindergarten xD

(and in apprentice-matters I had to do a small press conference where I forgot one part of my text xD ... but that also shouldn´t count =D)

So I hope that someday there will be some band-project (is in planning, but we are just two people and only have lyrics until now^^)where I also can perform somehow live, but I don´t feel under pressure to force that way... so or so I´m more the guy who doesn´t make the great posing-show^^...(maybe that´ll change when I know what I´m doing on that wood-thing with the six wires xD )

@Otto
A trumpet in a cover would be great :D (°.)°===(

I would... but I don't have a

I would... but I don't have a mic. I'm waiting to get one, then possibly... Gerudo Valley? Get them real trumpets in there :D

Before I could go to

Bhael

Before I could go to university I had to get a qualification in music, so enrolled on a 1 year popular music course. This involved playing the electric guitar in 3 live concerts - at that time I was 'okay' at fingerstyle, and completely incompetent with a plectrum. How I got an A grade is anyone's guess.

Since then I've had to give a few recitals at university, typically playing pieces beyond my skill level and scraping a 2.1.

Sadly I get really nervous when performing in front of people besides my friends, which makes it a less enjoyable experience. I'm hoping to do some concerts in the near future, once I have amplification sorted out.

Bhael, playing electric

auriplane

Bhael, playing electric guitar? Ha! You rockin' fiend, you.

Some of my best memories of school were those concerts. We played the Russian Easter Festival Overture, which remains one of my favorite classical pieces ever. (I actually kept the sheet music, even though it wasn't mine to keep.)

----------

Auriplane!!

Link, do you play the trumpet

auriplane

Link, do you play the trumpet for school? You could ask your school's music dept if they can help you record the trumpet. Some schools are set up for stuff like that (even if all that means is "there's a microphone you can use somewhere").

----------

Auriplane!!

I was forced to act in a play

ChelseaRare

I was forced to act in a play in kindergarten or first grade, actually had had fun with it but never bothered with theater stuff after. I played flute in every school band and orchestra concert from 4th to 9th grade. Thankfully I had the option to quit after that. Marching band was an absolute no in my mind.

I've been in a few bands here and there. Most practices in any of them were open for anyone to come see and listen to. And my current band has done small open mic sessions, but in the past year or so the main focus has been composing and working out cover songs for possible future gigs.

And every so often I'm a guest guitarist for some of my cousin's gigs.

----------

(.?!)

The most people I ever played

zen03y

CATFOOD

The most people I ever played in front of was when i was at Guitar Center in NYC on 10/10/10. I was just jamming to Struggle for the Freedom Flag by Galneryus and Paradise City, while my brother was watching, then a little merry boy came jollying around with his mom to buy his first guitar ever and they both stopped to watch.

It just built up from there, to about 10-15 people surrounding me, and I got so nervous I quit and began playing random chords. Till They finally walked away. THANK GOD.

I use to practice at school

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

I use to practice at school when I was taking music classes. We would just sit somewhere on campus and play somewhere. But I never got attached to playing live.I enjoy writing and recording much more.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

I used to Auri... last year.

I used to Auri... last year. I'm too busy with other classes this year, I decided to drop band. If I was still in, I'd definitely ask them about a spare mic! (:

Occasionally back in school

Ennea

humhum..

Occasionally back in school when there were breaks and a few times when people came over - but never on stage or something. Always get the feeling that I'm lacking something when performing on front of other people and do stupid mistakes that usually don't happen - guitar is more of a enjoyment I do for myself, playing for others is more of an extra.

Oh yeah and all the band

karathrow

Oh yeah and all the band stories are reminding me I used to play Clarinet and Saxophone in school and I had to play in a couple concerts.

Yea...

Murzain

I played bassoon and clarinet in band for about 8 years. I also played Gerudo Valley with a few friends for a talent show in my town. I have a band called "Etcetera Etc." we've only played a few gigs but I all I can say about it is that I LOVE performing live and wish I could be doing it more often. College really gets in the way though.

----------

http://soundcloud.com/etcetera-etc
Is it really a sin if we both come out even?

Auri, which instrument did

ForestMarth

Auri, which instrument did you play in the Russian Easter Festival Overture ?

Viola!

auriplane

Viola!

----------

Auriplane!!

i used to play clarinet a

soundsandstuff

i used to play clarinet a long time ago in band then that evolved into an acoustic guitar then an electric, so ive played at school functions, and then later on my friends and i put bands together we played some punk gigs and then hardcore gigs at local venues for a bit, it was rather fascinating mmm yes and i also played at a mall store to get people to come in and buy, it was, hmmm awkward, dont know where i'll end up playing next if ever haha

Auri, you should play some

ForestMarth

Auri, you should play some viola in one of your YouTube VGM covers one of these days :)

Seems like a lot of people here play guitar AND another instrument. If a GameTabs YouTube channel is finally created, maybe we could make a GameTabs Orchestra epic cover ^^

Re: Auri, you should play some

Jacob31593

ForestMarth said

Auri, you should play some viola in one of your YouTube VGM covers one of these days :)

i've been trying to get her to do that for years, at least 1.1 of them

I've brought my classical to

What if bears could

I've brought my classical to campus quite a few times. Finding an out-of-the-way-but-not-too-out-of-the-way spot can be rough. Shade? Check. No one nearby who would otherwise be bothered? Check. No bugs? Check! Seriously, a big spider crawling on your guitar as you are playing is not ok.

Re: I've brought my classical to

Jacob31593

What if bears could said

Seriously, a big spider crawling on your guitar as you are playing is not ok.

maybe you shouldnt play music that spiders like!

Back when I took Piano

SalemJenet

Back when I took Piano lessons my teacher would make me give guitar concerts(Yes, I know :v) for the rest of the students every month. It was a crowd of like 20 people but I guess that counts :o
VGM stuff I played live were Kabuki's Final Bowser Theme and Gathering Night Stars and of course Innocent sea.

Re: I've brought my classical to

What if bears could

Jacob31593 said

maybe you shouldnt play music that spiders like!

I am never playing guitar again.