You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #33 - Free Theme!!!

soundsandstuff

the next theme is......

Free Theme!!!

What? We haven't had a free theme in quite a bit. That means you, yes YOU, can make any type of song you like! Give a description of what feeling you were aiming for, what kind of video game you think your song would fit into, and what inspired you to write it.

Same rules apply:

- at least 1 minute long
- must be an original piece
- any instruments and recording styles are so allowed
- you have to wear a banana peel on top of your head

let the tunes come rollin' in!!!!

For the first time ever I

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

For the first time ever I believe I will give this a try :D

----------

"You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you."

The more the merrier!

Jacob31593

The more the merrier!

jez79 Submission - Tune Contest #33

jez79

jez79

Hi folks,

Here's a recording of a random composition from around 2007.
I was jamming around with a slightly open tuned acoustic and came up with a cool riff in odd time signature.
I was living with my bandmates at the time and had recording gear setup and ready to go, so I recorded the guitar.
Then added the drums, then bass. (I'm playing all the instruments)
I feel like the bridge section needs some french horn, so please imagine it in there when you listen ;)
Cheers!
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E2c_rirtgM

I believe I was playing some Castlevania on PS2 at the time, but Castlevania music this song is not.
The song seems to struggle between 'mathy industrial clockwork' A part and a more melodic B part. The C part bridge is even more melodic and dreamy.
I could see this working in some sort of nature/technology dichotomy, maybe a distopian future where nature is revered like in Chrono Trigger 2300 A.D.

----------

Nothing is True - Everything is Permitted
Everything is True - Nothing is Missing

yes definitely more the

soundsandstuff

yes definitely more the merrier! danteuruzu i am excited to hear your first entry, and i cheated i already listened to jez79's track hehe, i really like how it was put together, very catchy xD yeah it gives me that future rpg nature factory feel

I usually do multi track

jit

I usually do multi track songs, but decided to simplify and use a single VST instrument for this short piece that I had a chance to make today.

You are playing your Super Nintendo RPG and enter this peaceful town to recuperate from injuries sustained from prior battles. After receiving medical attention, you wander into the Arie Belle Harbor where you encounter many different personalities. From fish market sellers, to beggars, to sailors, you decide to stand at the edge of a dock as you watch boats sail away from the distance. The sun is setting, and you decide to rest at a local inn before you head off to continue your adventure in the morning.

Arie Belle Harbor

Soon!

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Alright! So, I've finished the piece that I am going to submit, but I'm gonna wait a day or two before submitting it, that way I can listen to it with fresh ears and catch anything that I don't like if it's there haha. It's actually a piece that I composed quite a while ago, but I've made a few modifications to it. I hope that's alright. I actually want to add a lot more to it. Right now it's just a String Orchestra, but I want to arrange it for a full orchestra (give or take a few instruments). I think I will do that, but whether I will do it before or after this contest I am not for sure. I will probably start it tomorrow and, if I finish before the deadline of this contest, that will be the piece you will hear. Otherwise it'll just be the String Orchestra.

Jez and Jit, your pieces are quite nice :-). You two are pretty good composers :D I won't be surprised if you win :D

----------

So I saw the theme and I was

kenor

The Cardsharp

So I saw the theme and I was like, this theme needs more jazz!

It's a simple fingerstyle composition, I can post the tabs if anyone is interested.

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

Very Nice

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

That's a very nice piece there Kenor :-)

----------

For all you sexy people out

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

For all you sexy people out there on gametabs, This one is for you.

UPDATED*

P.s. Don't make me the winner. :P, Seriouslly. No time!

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

AND HERE WE GO!

Murzain

Gio, that George Micheal cover made my day. You're so funny AND you're a badass guitar player. This is a song that I made in celebration of a certain upcoming holiday. I did this all in MIDI since I'm a more of a real instruments guy and I wanna try something different.

Halloween

----------

http://soundcloud.com/etcetera-etc
Is it really a sin if we both come out even?

Not going to lie, I was at a

jit

Not going to lie, I was at a bar last year, and while I was ordering a drink, this dude with this crazy hair and glasses was right next to me. It ended up being SexySaxMan. He just got done playing at a venue and I got to talk to him for a bit. Cool, down to earth guy.

P.S.
kenor, goddamn your piece is awesome. I'd be surprised if you didn't win. What did you record with? A cardioid, bi-directional, or omni-directional mic? Did you use a condenser or dynamic? And did you record with more than one mic(XY pairing)? Sounds like a studio sesh man. Props!

Re: AND HERE WE GO!

Giogiogio4

The Simple things man, the simple things, and thank you. A little sloppy but I had fun doing it.

----------

Haha, thanks Dante and jit.

kenor

The Cardsharp

Haha, thanks Dante and jit. I've got a single condenser microphone and I use the cardioid settings. I really do not know a lot about proper guitar recording, I just always try to position myself so that the most of the noises caused by the playing are clearly audible to make the recording more natural and then I add some reverb, less is often more in my experience.

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

Re: Haha, thanks Dante and jit.

Giogiogio4

Tons of resources/videos on youtube for micing guitars. I personally stay away from Micing because I don't have the gear for that. Plus ever since I got into "Impulses" I actually get better results then from when I tried to mic or almost the same. Most of the process is in the mixing/ Eqing stage. You will find people who do more with a crap line 6 amp sim than a dude with a whole setup.

----------

Tune Contest #33 Submission

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

No problem Kenor :D

Well, here is my submission. This is meant to be a sort of adventure theme. It all starts out on a grassy hill. From there continues through a forest that has slight dangers and such. Nothing that our hero cannot overcome, though. After making it through the forest, our adventurer finally arrives home.

It's a fairly short composition. I wanted to make it longer, but that would take a lot more time. I'm still satisfied with the end result :D.

The Journey Home

P.S. The audio starts abruptly a bit after the first beat in the first measure. This is due to the conversion of the file from .wav to .mp3. My apologies for that. I wish I knew how to fix it.

----------

Lots of good entries this

hslesperance

Lots of good entries this time. I've been into smooth jazz lately, I think this qualifies, genres confuse me sometimes

https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance/sleepy-sax

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Woah

Murzain

Dante, that piece is downright epic and beautiful. Fantastic job, sir! You should really enter these contests more often.

----------

http://soundcloud.com/etcetera-etc
Is it really a sin if we both come out even?

Re: Woah

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Thank you :-) I think I may do that. It's quite fun :-)

----------

ah! many entries, awesome, i

soundsandstuff

ah! many entries, awesome, i cant wait to listen to them all, anyone want an extension? if no takers by 9:00pm EST then i might wrap this up tonight xO

Re: ah! many entries, awesome, i

tiger child

im debating. i wasnt planning on entering. but i was fussing around with the guitar this morning and started just recording as i went. i may have something.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

soundsandstuff

ah! i shall wait for thee thy entry tigerchild x)

tiger child

well its possible i wont. give me till tomorrow morning. if i havent submitted anything by then, it means i put on a bad horror movie, cooked dinner and never looked back.

i just got a new electric guitar recently. i hadnt played in over 3 years. so anything i'd record is mostly just fussing with it and reacquainting myself with it.

----------

-brick road

sure dude! any entries are

soundsandstuff

sure dude! any entries are welcome, regardless what level, long as you have fun with it. glad to hear you started picking up music again, i'm also on and off but i always come back to it hehe. i'm curious to hear what you'll come up with after combining horror movies and delicious cooked dinners xD so i'll hold off the wrap up until tomorrow night!

Re: sure dude! any entries are

tiger child

haha. well not music! just electric guitar. i moved and they went into storage and i've never been back for them. 3 years later, doing composing for indie games and recording music, i needed a new one.

----------

-brick road

okay. thanks for patience!

tiger child

i was nearly not going to. i made dinner, put on a horror movie and settled in. and then realized how bad the horror movie was and had to do something else while it was playing - because i am almost incapable of turning movies off. its a bit of a problem.

anyway. i just made this up as i went along over a couple hours. please to enjoy.

A False Sense of Security

----------

-brick road

Mmmm

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Very nice, tiger :)

----------

aaand here's the

soundsandstuff

aaand here's the roundup!

jez79 "Test Drive"
- i thoroughly enjoyed this live recording, very impressive how you played all the instruments and the quality came out really nice. my favorite part is the songs off-beat time signature, totally fun to follow, and the video gets mad props as well for the bananas and turtle at the end hehe. very cool jazzy song, could see it in an rpg jazz cafe secret underground future factory

jit "Arie Belle Harbor"
- wow, i really like the peaceful feeling this song gives, simple but very effective. i can totally see it in game as a calm town like you described it, its almost like a lullaby with the echo effects, very soothing. well done, i lost track of how many times i listened to it haha

kenor "needsmorejazz" - this, now this, where do i begin. i love the chord progression and how cleanly you played it, and the dynamics are absolutely beautiful. dude post the tab if you could, i'd like to see what those chords look like hehe. when i listen to this song i feel like im playing a zelda game and im at a ranch, chillin out hehe

Giogiogio4 "SexysaxmanGuitar Solo fun"
- ok. first off, this has way too sexy. it just, no, overabundance of sexy. a surplus of sexiness. too much eartercourse. awesome soloing and improv. sexual recording quality. i feel like, you win. well not the contest, but you win for saxiest track. whenever mario saves daisy he should make like the sax man for her, with a warp whistle of course

Murzain "Halloween"
- i really like this midi, and as the title implies it fits a creepy theme, i like how one part/phrase flows nicely to the next, feels like a march of halloween characters parading into town and causing havok. did you add some electric guitars in there towards the end? i think you did! excellent composition dude

DanteUruzu "The Journey Home"
- holy shit. how'd you make this? its like a live full orchestra, i'm blown away man. i felt like i was listening to a trailer for the latest hot rpg game, have you ever played zelda WindWaker? definitely fits the bill for embarking on an epic new adventure in a vast open world, man i'm really curious to know how you put this together. awesome work

hslesperance "Sleepy Sax" - rainbows. monkeys. gogo dancers. i'm diggin the melody for this midi, it gives me the feel of just beating a game, and seeing the ending, recapping a long and epic journey. i actually imagined a 'the end' screen when the song ended, after the nice midi sax spotlight, and i like the pace and length of the song, it wasn't too short and i felt it was just right. awesome stuff

tiger child "A False Sense of Security" - ha, man i love the intro, nice instruments, it starts out really soft, calm, and then after a few bars WHAM electric guitar headbanging time haha, awesome! you tricked me, i thought it was going to be a peaceful song, that must be where the title came from. holy crap nice tremolo picking. i like the phrase changes even after the guitars and drums come in, different beats, and a good mix of different instruments throughout the song. very nicely done

took me a while because i kept listening to all the tracks repeatedly hehe, and many epic entries. it took me even longer to pick the winner, i saw a lot of effort and dedication in all of the tracks, but after much thought i give this round to DanteUruzu. congratulations and many thanks to all the participants!!!!

Nice work Dante, looking

hslesperance

Nice work Dante, looking forward to more from you

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

I am glad that you both liked

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

I am glad that you both liked it :). I look forward to entering future contests.

And in response to soundandstuff, oddly enough I've never played a Zelda game (please don't kill me for that haha xD). I have heard a few songs from Zelda though, here and there. The way that I achieved the live sound, I shall reveal. There are a few things that contribute to the live sound. The main two are the settings that are used for the reverb and the instrument libraries. The program that I used to compose and export the audio file is called Notion 3 (the newest version, Notion 4, is to be released on the 31st and features some major improvements, although that's irrelevant right now xD) and it comes with an instrument library which has sounds recorded by LSO. For "The Journey Home" most of the instruments use those sounds as well as some from used Miroslav Philharmonik. Something else that I did to achieve a nice sound was pan each instrument in a typical orchestral setup.

Hmmm...about the next contest. If I am not mistaken the winner of the previous contest makes the next one. I think I'll let someone else do it, if that is the case haha. I'm a new face here and would rather get known by the community a little more :D. I'm a little shy :P

----------

Dante, your entry was epic,

kenor

The Cardsharp

Dante, your entry was epic, thanks for the software tips. Don't worry about being new here, just make a new contest topic, I'm excited about your theme (:

oh and the tab

----------

Thank you and no problem :-).

DanteUruzu

SIr Dante Uruzu

Thank you and no problem :-). I am glad that you are excited ^_^

Very well, I suppose I will give it a try xD

If I could play fingerstyle I'd learn your piece. It's very beautiful. :-)

----------