You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Classical guitar book

kanshiketsu89

Anime Clef

I've started learning music theory so I'm wondering if there's a good book to help me out. Kabuki used to mention a couple of books in his youtube channel description, but since the new skin arrived it seems the description isn't available anymore. So, if anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

I would recommend Solo Guitar

What if bears could

I would recommend Solo Guitar Playing by Frederick M. Noad and Pumping Nylon by Scott Tennant. However, I must admit that neither of these books are strictly concerned with teaching music theory. I just can't pass up an opportunity to recommend them.

Solo Guitar Playing assumes you are a day one beginner, but I believe it does have more music theory than Pumping Nylon. The latter is more concerned in honing technique and is much more advanced in terms of playing ability.

I hope this recommendation at least helps in giving you some direction. Good luck!

I have Noad's first book, and

CBL

I have Noad's first book, and I also highly recommend it. But not for an all-encompassing course in general music theory (it isn't sufficient by itself).

My honest advice is two things:
1) Get multiple sources for music theory, all depending on how you want to apply it. Start off with the basic beginner books (go to the library and see what they have, and get 3-4 on music theory), and demolish ALL of them thoroughly. TAKE NOTES. If you see something that sparks an idea, and you don't own the book - then write a careful, detailed note with explanations and examples.

2) Take what you've learned as a concept, and apply it. Say you've learned about the dominant sevenths resolving to the tonic triad, and you want to actually see if it actually "works", or if it's just codswallop. So you get your guitar, and you play G7 (320001) then a C (x32010). Play the transition a few times. Hmmm.... It could be just those chords sound like that, so you play A7 (x02020) and go to D (xx0232). Assuming you're anything like me, the fact that this transition sounds "resolved", like you're "done" tripped me the heck out (G7 also resolves somewhat to D, while A7 does not resolve to C at all - try it and figure out why). So where I was going, was that it's important to play what you've learned as a concept.
Secondly, it's equally important to work backwards. If you are messing around with a scale, and you find a melody you like - then transcribe it, and use your knowledge of intervals and the scale you were on to find some harmony and melody for that. The idea here is complete the feedback loop by going from guitar back to theory/paper, rather than just vice versa.

Re: Classical guitar book

kanshiketsu89 said

I've started learning music theory so I'm wondering if there's a good book to help me out. Kabuki used to mention a couple of books in his youtube channel description, but since the new skin arrived it seems the description isn't available anymore. So, if anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

I found a lot of lessons on YouTube in the public domain and it's very pleasing

Re: Classical guitar book

JohnnyBailey

kanshiketsu89 said

I also look for basic information on YouTube. But it would be great to get materials and a book with more detailed lessons. Books are especially valuable to me in every way. And therefore, first of all, I'm looking for information that, regardless of what I need it for, for study or a hobby. Recently, I was preparing a complex research paper on Mental Health and this source was a godsend for me https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/mental-health/ The examples helped me better understand the topic and express my opinion on this matter.

Hello ! Thanks for great

Hello ! I love reading books, for me, it is an opportunity to relax and not think about the amount of homework that awaits me. But recently I tried summary sites and I was sent my work for the day, done with high quality, it is clear that real professionals work. Now, I will always use this service in order not to waste my time writing on my own.

At school, I often went to

juliafrod

At school, I often went to guitar lessons and I always had a lot of time for fun. Now I am studying in the last class at the university and exams are waiting for me. In order not to go crazy, I use online assignment help. I have been using this option for a couple of years now and am always happy with the results of my paperwork!