You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Gametabs FF7 Tribute Album - The Deadline is Over - page 4

Damn, Link!! That J-E-N-O-V-A

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

Damn, Link!! That J-E-N-O-V-A cover was presidential boss!!!!

I have not forgotten about this Hashel :-) haha
I've recorded most of my guitar parts, I still need to do the bass or put a really low tone on my guitar and play it that way :-P
Then, haphazardly piece it together and I'll be in business.
It is sounding pretty good so far, but I'm a noob at mixing so... wish me luck peeps! ;-)

THANKS OTTO!

Vulpes

Shadowfox

working

so, that epic - my worst enemy, that ultimate boss named "Time" crossed my way x_x

---> But until the deadline I´ll be ready^_^ My jamming-tracks are so far arranged and at the latest on WE I´ll record that Traitor finally (and also mix).
(I´m still not satisfied with the sounding of the guitars) ... it´ll be a short cover, but it's also a short Theme^___^
|
---> The week after I´ll go to make the JENOVA ABSOLUTE, there I´ve also done a jammingtrack, at least for the first half...but it should work (and I hope I´ll make that ready until the next WE ) :)

|
|
|

In Mixing-matters I watched some videos (thanks for dat link otto^^) and so I found some mistakes I did until now (...for example not having real recording-equipment until 2011 xD xD xD)

(
...and I learned something: Multitrack-recording is still useful (learned that from my "band" years ago...even without recording-equipment), but now I'll drop it to use that technique for EACH instrument/track xD ...that results in a mush and everything's again undifferentiated... >.< )

@Iamhoustian
watch the tutorial behind the link in the Jenova of Otto, it will help a lot :D (omg, I hope, I´ll be able to use that knowledge in real xD)

Motivation sponsored by Mentor Link =D The Mentivator :D

Update..again

BigHeadClan

My part with Max_depa on "Ahead on our way" is more or less done (unless he needs me to re-record something).

As for the medley I've hit a bit of a road block trying to find a way to record my electric with my current equipment, I'm trying to get a hold of my buddies pedal so that I can do some direct recording so we shall see.

Going to work on the assumption that I will get it in time and just go about recording the rest I think.

Don't worry we'r all buzy

hashel

Don't worry we'r all buzy (and/or lazy) we have the time, keep cool ^^

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Thanks guys! But yeah, if you

Thanks guys! But yeah, if you want to learn a bit more about recording, watch some of FamilyJules7X's recording guide videos. He's amazing at what he does and gives out some great advice as well! Also, if you find your mix not sounding how you want, don't forget to EQ and all that good stuff! Also, if you guys want me to record/help mix anything, I'm in! Good luck peeps!

Oh thanks for reminding me

BigHeadClan

Oh thanks for reminding me Link, I only got halfway through Familyjules7x tutorials for that going to have to find the time to go back to it.

That time's definately worth

Vulpes

Shadowfox

That time's definately worth it =)

And thanks, if I´ll stuck anywhere extremely, I´ll ask ;D

...meh, I recorded some Drums as midi via keyboard (damn, I need that Lazydrummer-Software^__^)... now I have to correct them step by step...I forgot an option to put them onto that grid xD

Apologies

Deiselc

Deiselc

I really hate to do this but I due to the work I have for college and my job I don't think I'll be able to get my entry in on time. Therefore I will have to pull out. I wish this project the best of luck and I am really excited to see the end result :)

I'm very sorry.

----------

Deiselc

mhm... it's a pity...but when

Vulpes

Shadowfox

mhm... it's a pity...but when there´s absolutely no time... =\

hey guys, i made something

soundsandstuff

hey guys, i made something let me know what you think xO

Inflitrating Shinra Tower (Cover Remix) edit

edit: i fixed those last couple of notes that somehow appeared at the end xOO

Inflitrating Shinra Tower (Cover Remix)

Vulpes

Shadowfox

I like it =) I think, it sounds great as an Interlude :D

Is this MIDI? =)
btw. at the end of it are two lost notes silently playing^^ :D

Re: Inflitrating Shinra Tower (Cover Remix)

soundsandstuff

thanks vulpes! yup its all midi, and i fixed those notes, updated link in the post above hehe

Hmmm

BigHeadClan

I haven't heard anything from Max_Denpa lately so I have no idea where he is with the recording of "ahead on our way" so with the first deadline coming up I think I will polish off that and hopefully finish the medley in reasonable time XD.

On the bright side I did finally got a hold of a good interface to record electric on and am now making some measurable headway :P

i havent actually started to

tiger child

i havent actually started to arrange or record anything. but i probably will by this weekend.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Well, I'm pretty sure that

Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Well, I'm pretty sure that I'll be posting my Farm Boy tab and recording on the 30th or just a little bit after, so the content is on its way from everybody, I just think the deadline won't precisely be met.

Re: Well, I'm pretty sure that

tiger child

yeah. i just havent been able to think much on it. plus i need my brother for flute. so it kind of became a game of cat and also cat.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

So looking forward to that

BigHeadClan

So looking forward to that banjo cover, gonna feel so redneck \>

jeah, just Take the

Vulpes

Shadowfox

jeah, just Take the Time^^

So, I think, I´ll need until the 3d Otober, that´s a holiday here and then I´ll have the possibility to mix the second one during that morning :)
In front of my vacation it´s a bit more stress at work, because I don´t want to leave horrible work for my colleague^__^

Well...if I don´t make it in time, i´ll drop the second cover out of here, but I hope I can make it in the next days... xD

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actual Lineup:

----------------------------------

iamHoustonian:

Who Are You + ?

srvjimiandkurt:

Fighting/Crazy Motorcycle

Tiger_child:

Aerith's Theme

CrazyMoogle

Farm Boy

Hashel:

Sandy Badlands (ft. DSheltonator)

DSheltonator:

You Can Hear The Cry Of The Planet

Link_Strife07:

J-E-N-O-V-A

BigHeadClan:

Medley (Shinra-Tribute)

Vulpes:

Mark of a Traitor - YT

2. Jenova Absolute (well...eventually if there´s time)

SoundsandStuff:

Infiltrating Shinra Tower

? (maybe) RexLeRouge :

Caith Sith's Theme

? (maybe) Clanver : ?

? Max_Depa :

Ahead On Our Way (fr BigHeadClan)
/ Deiselc: had to pull out

Traitor:
I think, I´ll use the time to mix, until it´s a complete disaster xD
The original Mixdown sounded really dull and quiet, so I tried around... Now it´s -a bit- more transparent...
...it´s not 100% original, but that doesn´t matter ;P
I look forward to improve...I should have begun earlier with mixing-stuff^^
...still...not...satisfied...

Well, I don't really care

auriplane

Well, I don't really care about the deadline, but I'm still going to do mine. (If that means it's not part of the project, that's okay, I'll just post it when I do.)

I've been busy, though. The floors here got torn out and replaced, so I had to go stay with my brother for a little bit while they did that T_T;; I hate not being able to play guitar.

----------

Auriplane!!

@Auirplane Aye! My thoughts

BigHeadClan

@Auirplane Aye! My thoughts are very similar to this

I was in the middle of finding a new job when I started now stuffs kinda hitting the fan now that I have one. Although I did finish off all the recordings for Ahead.. Well hopefully may redue one acoustic part but I also got a good chunk of the mixing done so I'm probably going to need a week or 2 to finish off everything.

O well Onwards!

Here's one I did just

srvjimiandkurt

Here's one I did just tonight.

Eh.

Very weird, but cool. Maybe

auriplane

Very weird, but cool. Maybe I should try to be weirder. I'm not weird enough.

Weird!

That word's starting to look funny.

Weird.

----------

Auriplane!!

Looks i'll be the last to

hashel

Looks i'll be the last to enter in my own project... hahaha ^^

Sorry guys, this last years of studies started with a LOT of work to do... And my personal life is kinda full...
And when i find time to play guitar i'm more trying to compose some "Hard Rock N'Roll" songs ^^'

But i don't forget you ! ._.

----------

Oh man, I thought getting my

iamHoustonian

Oh man, I thought getting my chill microphone would be the answer to all of my problems... but it's rather tedious to record a multi-track song for me. Like I am having some intricate timing issues and noise interruptions are killing me right now haha I even got messed up by a freakin' dude driving down my street blastin' rap through some haggard-ass speakers haha. I'll get it done eventually, it just might take me a little while longer than I thought :-)

I've been looking at some different pedals and thinking about buying an ebow for some sustaining effects. Slowly but surely I'll get a more solid set-up. I think a DAW would help so I can hear the other tracks while I'm trying to record or something. IDK, I'll eventually figure out what works for me hehe

Yeah, you won't be able to

auriplane

Yeah, you won't be able to record well if you can't hear the other tracks. You can use Audacity for that, though, or you could try out Reaper for free. It's definitely a challenge, though. I usually use a click track when I record.

----------

Auriplane!!

Yeah I have a huge problem...

iamHoustonian

Yeah I have a huge problem... being that I have a pc and it is near my kitchen and all of my guitar stuff is in my room.
I actually just made a video of my rhythm so I can listen to it on youtube through my xbox360 in my room haha
I recorded this like 3 weeks ago haha with some ingenuity, I might get a decent song done :-)

I'd like to try out some POD farm stuff. Going straight through DAW or whatev seems better, no mic buzz or noise interruptions xD

Haha. Move your

auriplane

Haha. Move your computer!

Nice rhythm.

----------

Auriplane!!

so... like Auri said, a free

Vulpes

Shadowfox

so... like Auri said, a free DAW like Audacity or Reaper will help a lot. It´s always useful to hear other tracks of the project (only necessary! as few as possible...like drums only or the click-track like Auri said)

You haven´t your PC near your Equip? Change that! Why so complicated^^ :D
When I turned to my flat, I planned and arranged everything, that my PC and Amp etc. are in reach of less than two steps^^

Nice recording :)

:) ya I know, my room is so

iamHoustonian

:) ya I know, my room is so full now it's ridiculous haha

EDIT: I record using a microphone .WAV file. How could I play to a click track and it not be in the finished product?

Re: :) ya I know, my room is so

Vulpes

Shadowfox

iamHoustonian said

EDIT: I record using a microphone .WAV file. How could I play to a click track and it not be in the finished product?

I don´t use a mic, but is is that sensitive, it would also record the sound you hear from small earphones?

okay, I see what you're

iamHoustonian

okay, I see what you're talking about.
I use my headphones to hear what my mic is hearing haha that way I know it's a solid take :-)
I think I'm headed in the right direction. Hopefully it will come together nicely.

Use your headphones for BOTH!

auriplane

Use your headphones for BOTH! ;-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Yeah it would probably be

DSheltonator

Yeah it would probably be better to use DI and POD Farm to record, but if you have to use the mic, you can try to clean up some of the recorded noise by using software. I ran your track through a noise removal tool, and it's sounding better already.

Denoised Rhythm

Of course you can't get rid of those shuffling sounds in the background so easily. You'd just have to try to get as quiet a recording environment as you can.

I need some kind of splitter

iamHoustonian

I need some kind of splitter huh? haha thanks for the pointers :-)

Oh nice. That sounds way better sheltonator!
I don't have POD farm or anything haha so I'm using a mic but I'll probably end up getting some POD stuff.

Re: so... like Auri said, a free

auriplane

Vulpes said

It´s always useful to hear other tracks of the project (only necessary! as few as possible...like drums only or the click-track like Auri said)

Why as few as possible? I think the opposite is true. You're already at a disadvantage because you're not playing with a full band; when you're recording one track at a time, later tracks can play off of earlier tracks, but not vice versa. If you listen to as few tracks as possible, you're throwing away even that :-(

Better to hear as much as possible so you can hear how your playing fits into the song, control your dynamics better, feel the song, etc. Just IMO.

(You can pick what stuff you want in your monitoring mix, of course--whatever works for you.)

----------

Auriplane!!

That's what I was thinking. I

iamHoustonian

That's what I was thinking. I want to hear how everything is sounding as a whole.

I'll pave my own path toward learning to record with a mic because it's all particular to your situation.
Maybe I can get the song done and DSheltonator can run it through his noise removal thing haha jk thanks for the help peeps :-)

Well, if you'd like me to try

DSheltonator

Well, if you'd like me to try to denoise your song I'll be happy to help out. If you're going to record multiple guitar tracks, I would suggest keeping them separate. I can denoise each track individually and then send them back to you for you to mix together.

I also did a quick search and it looks like Audacity has a noise removal function too. You could try it out for yourself since it's free. http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Noise_Removal

Re: why

Vulpes

Shadowfox

auriplane said

Vulpes said

It´s always useful to hear other tracks of the project (only necessary! as few as possible...like drums only or the click-track like Auri said)

Why as few as possible? I think the opposite is true. You're already at a disadvantage because you're not playing with a full band; when you're recording one track at a time, later tracks can play off of earlier tracks, but not vice versa. If you listen to as few tracks as possible, you're throwing away even that :-(

Better to hear as much as possible so you can hear how your playing fits into the song, control your dynamics better, feel the song, etc. Just IMO.

(You can pick what stuff you want in your monitoring mix, of course--whatever works for you.)

When I said "as few as possible" I meant: As few as possible for your individual needs :)
Everyone person is different^^

Well, I do both, there are different sorts of focus and intensity...
I listen how it sounds in jamming-tracks where I play/learn^^ and record, but that´s not the final recording and I´m playing around and listen, how everything sounds together and try to get ideas, how to play it in the end.

During final recording I turn everything off, what could interfere with the track I´m recording. So I easier hear, when I´m making mistakes and can record again immediately instead of recording, and theeen listen to it and realize, I did mistakes I didn´t notice with all the stuff around. Those mistakes could rise up and be better noticeable later...

...I´m new with that and just trying around... xP so...I shut my mouth^^

--------------------------

I also did a quick search and it looks like Audacity has a noise removal function too. You could try it out for yourself since it's free. http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Noise_Removal

Yah, Audacity is a nice program for editing, just try it out :) There are many things adjustable, it´s quite larger than expected within the first start^^

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind

iamHoustonian

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind DSheltonator d(^_^)b

I saw that audacity had the noise removal tool but I tried it with the default settings before and it didn't really do a thing haha I need to learn. I'll try to figure out how to do it right :-)

EDIT: I just downloaded audacity 2.0.2 I had 1.3 hahaha dammit

Thought you muted the tracks

BigHeadClan

Thought you muted the tracks so that you can clearly hear the drums or whatever instrument happens to be carrying the rhythm, they set the pace for the song although having other tracks can definitely help to queue off.

But that's the glory of DAW I guess, you can kind of do whatever you want and still end up with an ok result.

@IamHoustonian
I'm currently trying out Mixcraft right now and I have to say it's a very good program, if your interested the Free trial lasts for about 3 weeks.

Hehe!! Be careful with noise

auriplane

Hehe!! Be careful with noise removal. It's destructive! You have to decide whether a little noise is better than noticeably damaging the signal.

I'm not saying not to use it, just to make the decision each time by comparing with and without, level matched (loudness matched). (Then again, you have to do that with any processing you do, if you don't want to trick yourself.)

----------

Auriplane!!

1 step forward, 3 steps back

BigHeadClan

This weekend I was assailed by noisy family, a ear infection/cold and my Mixcraft trail version expering thus deleting all my mixes I had finished up to this point.

Well Hashel it looks like it's up in the air who will get it in last now :P

^ Yeah, especially since

Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

^ Yeah, especially since college is beating the crap out of me right now, lol. My cover is continually getting pushed back as a billion new things are taking up time.

Okay today i finish my damn

hashel

Okay today i finish my damn recording ~~ !

----------

Or not today, i'm stuck with

hashel

Or not today, i'm stuck with the solo... idk why but i'm tired of playing video games music :s

----------

Write some new original

auriplane

Write some new original music! xD

----------

Auriplane!!

This iswhat i'm doing, but in

hashel

This iswhat i'm doing, but in a Hard/Prog rock style ^^'

----------

Re: This iswhat i'm doing, but in

Vulpes

Shadowfox

Whatever someone´s doing, it only matters, that it's fun!!! ^___^

|
|
|
So, I think, JA will be ready this Weekend, just have to record the bass-track and try to mimimimix...

I'm working on another FF7

I'm working on another FF7 cover right now. It'll be done by Halloween if you wanna use it. Good luck guys! :D

Cool! Are you going to tell

auriplane

Cool! Are you going to tell anyone which song before you upload it? :-)

----------

Auriplane!!