You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Which is the best pc game ever made? - page 2

the more i think about it,

tiger child

the more i think about it, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is a classic. i mean, i dont think i've played it since like...1998. but even so, i remember putting a lot of miles on that game and loving it.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

Re: the more i think about it,

Ranulf

I will not join your gametabs.

tiger child said

the more i think about it, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is a classic. i mean, i dont think i've played it since like...1998. but even so, i remember putting a lot of miles on that game and loving it.

This
Also, it's on Steam :D

i think MDK2 was quite fun,

soundsandstuff

i think MDK2 was quite fun, and definitely Quake 2! infinite multi-player hours logged hehe

well, my fav is..

Kenkiske

well, my fav is..

----------

Re: Multiplayer games anyone?

Yoshi

karathrow said

Yoshi said

Dota 2 is the best multiplayer game out there for sure - rewards you based purely on your skill (unlike LoL pay-to-win)

Man ok that is some stupid shit. Lol is not pay to win at all. Some of the top players in the solo queue ladder have never spent money on the game.

There's a reason LoL is the biggest online game right now. Also Dota 2 is garbage. It's filled with broken game design, an awful ui, and is generally an unplayable pile of shit. You can try to defend it by saying it's in beta but we both know it's not going to change substantially before release. I promise you Dota 2 is never going to amount to shit and it's not because it's too deep for casual players, it's because the people designing it learned nothing from Dota 1 and kept all the shitty parts in it.

There is no advantage LoL players who pay can access that players who don't pay can't also access. The only thing you can buy with real money that other players cant have is skins which are cosmetic. (for the record I've spent money on the game twice only for skins, I refuse to spend any money on actual game shit and I've unlocked pretty much everything in the game with in game money)

Also Dota 2 has no system to deal with leavers or griefers so the community is a pile of shit too.

It's pretty simple if a game is pay to win then paying should

1)make you win automatically or give some significant advantage over other players

or

2)Allow access to content that non-paying players cannot access (which should lead to #1)

I can tell you that when I queue up aside from skins on champions there is no way to tell who has spent money on the game and who has not. The people who spend money are not hitting harder or really doing any better in the games. The competitive community is very alive and there isn't a sense that people are spending oodles of money on the game with the hopes of coming out on top.

This kind of bullshit is perpetuated by people who have never played league and hate it because of its admittedly shitty community or by people who just hate it for the same reason people hated CoD and WoW. (They're popular games and I can't carve out an identity for myself as a "hardcore gamer" playing low-brow games that everyone knows about hurr hurr)

"Pricing, aside from us saying "let's have the game be free forever and never sell power" has largely been an after thought because our view is that if we create awesome, then our players will reward us. That has held true." -Mark Merril President of Riot Games (makers of LoL)

/ragepost

The fact remains that new players cannot challege veteran players at all because they don't have access to the same abilities/whatever. I'm not saying that you can't get there by playing, but the fact that you can take a shortcut with your wallet is not really good for a competitive game. In Dota 2, everyone starts even. Experienced players are on the same footing as new players, the only difference is purely skill. People don't even have access to the same heroes. Stupidity.

Dota 2 does have a system to deal with griefers/leavers. Once you get into higher level matchmaking you very rarely get leavers (one in every maybe twenty games for me) and griefers. There is a reporting system, and players are punished/banned for pulling stupid shit.

The amount of skill required in Dota 2 is much greater than LoL, and you'll hear many pros repeat that fact. LoL is an easier game. The reason LoL is so big is because it's free and easy for noobs to pick up, and Dota 2 isn't out of beta yet.

If Dota 2 was "filled with broken game design, an awful ui, and generally an unplayable pile of shit" then nobody would host a $1.6million USD tournament for it. The number of viewers watching the finals of International 2 hit close to 600,000. I assure you, the game is quality. I heard some competitive LoL games have a total kill count of 4 or less.

Do any of you chaps play

Jacob31593

Do any of you chaps play mount & blade

Ennea

humhum..

The fact remains that new players cannot challege veteran players at all because they don't have access to the same abilities/whatever. I'm not saying that you can't get there by playing, but the fact that you can take a shortcut with your wallet is not really good for a competitive game. In Dota 2, everyone starts even. Experienced players are on the same footing as new players, the only difference is purely skill. People don't even have access to the same heroes. Stupidity.

New players will get matched up with players on equal level if they start that game. Only runes and masteries can enstrenghten your char, you gain masterie points with new levels and can't buy runes with real money, only with points you earn when playing - and if you play more you rise in level faster and won't get matched up with lower players. Therefore invalid argument.
The buying champions stuff is arguable, oif you specialize on a role you will get everything you need faster then you make it look like.

Dota 2 does have a system to deal with griefers/leavers. Once you get into higher level matchmaking you very rarely get leavers (one in every maybe twenty games for me) and griefers. There is a reporting system, and players are punished/banned for pulling stupid shit.

Had no leaver in around 50 games in a row now. Who said there is no punishment system implemented in LoL ? In fact, there is. Invalid argument.

The amount of skill required in Dota 2 is much greater than LoL, and you'll hear many pros repeat that fact. LoL is an easier game. The reason LoL is so big is because it's free and easy for noobs to pick up, and Dota 2 isn't out of beta yet.

What exactly is "easier" ? Keep in mind that these are two different games, you can't play DotA exactly the same way you play LoL, same in reverse. Why would you listen to some idiots who spill crap like "blabla is easier". Why arent these dota pro's just switching over to league and own everything ? I mean the price pool is 2 million dollars for the finals, which pro wouldnt want to get that if it's so fucking easy ? Invalid argument.

But it's correct that it is easier for beginners to pick up mechanics etc. But I don't see how that is a negative aspect.

If Dota 2 was "filled with broken game design, an awful ui, and generally an unplayable pile of shit" then nobody would host a $1.6million USD tournament for it. The number of viewers watching the finals of International 2 hit close to 600,000. I assure you, the game is quality. I heard some competitive LoL games have a total kill count of 4 or less.

Well thats between you an karathrow, but your last sentence is crap.

It's fine if you like dota so much more, but all you do is trashtalking without a real reason. Haters gonna hate, you haven't even informed yourself in the slightest before you start talking, can't take you serious.

________

A bit more ontopic: I started playing Dark Souls, holy shit this game is awesome! Just had to fix a lot of FPS issues but since then I can't stop playing :SSSS

karathrow

Yoshi said

The fact remains that new players cannot challege veteran players at all because they don't have access to the same abilities/whatever.

This is false, new players are matched up with other new players. The only "power" comes from runes which are unlocked with time (games played). You cannot buy these with real money. You obviously have not played the game enough to know what you're talking about.

I'm not saying that you can't get there by playing, but the fact that you can take a shortcut with your wallet is not really good for a competitive game. In Dota 2, everyone starts even. Experienced players are on the same footing as new players, the only difference is purely skill. People don't even have access to the same heroes. Stupidity.

You can't take a shortcut with your wallet in league either. There's no statistical evidence that suggests people who spend more money have a higher win rate or anything of that nature. People don't have access to the same heroes but heroes aren't inherently designed to be better than each other. One of the most picked and banned champions in the game (Alistar) is currently one of the cheapest champs. You can even get him for free if you sign up to some youtube bullshit.

This must be a new thing then because it wasn't there before.

If I tried to spin plates with one hand while playing tetris with the other it would be a harder game to play but it wouldn't be a better game. Complexity for the sake of complexity and not for the sake of making a good game just makes cluttered design. Things like denies just mean you spend more time fighting creeps and less time fighting each other which not only creates boring stagnant gameplay, but makes the game boring to watch as a spectator sport.

You can say "lol is a simpler game, therefore lol is not as good of a game" but that's making leaps of logic and it's not really supported by anything. Many of the best games are simple to learn but have depth to them. You can learn to play chess in a very short time but it has infinite possibilities. I do not think adding 50 more chess pieces and 3 boards would make chess a better game, just a messier one.

If Dota 2 was "filled with broken game design, an awful ui, and generally an unplayable pile of shit" then nobody would host a $1.6million USD tournament for it.

If people want their game to succeed they will sink lots of money into it. This is not objective analysis of why Dota 2 is a good game, just dick waving.

The number of viewers watching the finals of International 2 hit close to 600,000. I assure you, the game is quality. I heard some competitive LoL games have a total kill count of 4 or less.

Yes and more people watch competitive league than MLB on ESPN, whats your point? Also competitive games people tend to be more careful so obviously you're not going to see 0-30 derpfests like you would in some random scrub game.

Your arguments are the weak tired bullshit of someone butthurt that someone else would like a different game better than yours. Your game is no better, I have no quarrel with Dota 2. It's not the game I choose to play, but I don't get on a fucking pedestal every time someone's like HEY I LIKE DOTA 2 its fun! The problem is every dotard 2 fan has to make a fucking crusade against league like some moba missionary. Nobody cares what game you prefer, nobody WILL ever care. Play the game you like and shut the fuck up about it.

oh man am i too late to get

Jacob31593

oh man am i too late to get in on this yoshi gangbang or do you guys think you have it covered with your treatises of his roughly 15 sentence post

I'm not much of a PC gamer

ChelseaRare

I'm not much of a PC gamer (or a gamer at all these days) but I'm just gonna go and say Guild Wars 2 has caught my attention in recent days.

Oh and I get a bgg kick out of the Touhou games if those count.

----------

(.?!)

Oh lord. Didn't expect so

Yoshi

Oh lord. Didn't expect so much hostility and aggression. I'm making valid points only. The only butthurt ones are you guys when I make valid points on Dota 2's quality and all you guys are doing it is slamming it for its complexity etc. I accept that lots of people like LoL, I'm not denying it, I'm only stating reasons why I prefer Dota 2. But saying that Dota 2 does not have an anti-griefer/leaver system when it does is fallacy (admittedly it doesn't work so well in low-level games, but it's there). When spectator count for a match reaches 600,000, making statements like "things like denies just mean you spend more time fighting creeps and less time fighting each other which not only creates boring stagnant gameplay, but makes the game boring to watch as a spectator sport" is an absolute fallacy. For the record, denying is a huge part of the game that would break the game if it was removed.

What I mean about the whole LoL cash shop system is, you DO NOT have the same access to heroes and abilities as someone else. Yes, new players may be be matched against other new players, but that doesn't change the fact that gameplay is inherently different if you've been playing a long time. In Dota 2, nobody has an advantage or difference of any kind. Everyone starts on the same foot. I've actually been matched against world-class competitive players from teams like Ehome, EG, MUFC, Aeon, etc who just jump on the matchmaking for fun. They are ridiculously good, but I can actually face them because the game does not give them any advantage for being an experienced player. When I get stomped, it's purely a difference in skill, and not because they have more runes or whatever. That's what I'm getting at. I also personally find it stupid that you have to buy or farm heroes.

Not ONCE did I say "LoL is a shit game, Dota 2 is way better", which is more than can be said about "Dota 2 is garbage. It's filled with broken game design, an awful ui, and is generally an unplayable pile of shit."

Calm down a bit guys.

ChelseaRare said

I'm not much of a PC gamer (or a gamer at all these days) but I'm just gonna go and say Guild Wars 2 has caught my attention in recent days.

Oh and I get a bgg kick out of the Touhou games if those count.

I fucking love Guild Wars 2. I normally don't like MMOs, but GW2 really caught my interest.

Re: Oh lord. Didn't expect so

ChelseaRare

Wait, isn't this site all about butthurt, aggression, hostility and trolling one another to no end? lololol

I'd be lying if I said I've played Guild Wars 2, but from what I've seen from a friend, I may just want to invest in it.

----------

(.?!)

GUILD WARS HAS SEXY CONCEPT

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

GUILD WARS HAS SEXY CONCEPT ART

Re: GUILD WARS HAS SEXY CONCEPT

Yoshi

Lemoncobbler said

GUILD WARS HAS SEXY CONCEPT ART

The funny thing is, the ingame graphics look even better than the concept art :D

Re: Oh lord. Didn't expect so

karathrow

Yoshi said

Oh lord. Didn't expect so much hostility and aggression. I'm making valid points only.

Saying "I'm making valid points" doesnt make your points any more or less valid than they are (which they aren't.) You obviously don't know anything about the game and are just speaking out of bias.

The only butthurt ones are you guys when I make valid points on Dota 2's quality and all you guys are doing it is slamming it for its complexity etc. I accept that lots of people like LoL, I'm not denying it, I'm only stating reasons why I prefer Dota 2.

No, you came in and said lol is pay-to-win which is not true. If you had just said you liked dota 2 I would not have said shit to you. Hell even if you said you hated lol I wouldn't have said shit to you, but it's insulting to imply that the game is pay-to-win when that's just not the case.

But saying that Dota 2 does not have an anti-griefer/leaver system when it does is fallacy (admittedly it doesn't work so well in low-level games, but it's there).

It's not a fallacy, I was just wrong. At the time when I was playing the beta the game didn't have anything like that in place, apparently it does now which is great.

When spectator count for a match reaches 600,000, making statements like "things like denies just mean you spend more time fighting creeps and less time fighting each other which not only creates boring stagnant gameplay, but makes the game boring to watch as a spectator sport" is an absolute fallacy. For the record, denying is a huge part of the game that would break the game if it was removed.

Popularity is not representative of quality. Which if funny because if that is your argument WAY more people watch competitive league than dota. Also you keep using "fallacy" when I don't think that word means what you think it means.

What I mean about the whole LoL cash shop system is, you DO NOT have the same access to heroes and abilities as someone else.

There are no abilities available for sale in the shop and it is not a "cash shop" you can buy everything in game with in game money.

Yes, new players may be be matched against other new players, but that doesn't change the fact that gameplay is inherently different if you've been playing a long time.

You're speaking in vagaries here without actually making an argument. What is your point? Initially you said new players lose to veteran players, do you admit that is wrong now? Do you admit that you know absolutely nothing about league? Where do you get your information from as you obviously don't play it yourself?

In Dota 2, nobody has an advantage or difference of any kind. Everyone starts on the same foot. I've actually been matched against world-class competitive players from teams like Ehome, EG, MUFC, Aeon, etc who just jump on the matchmaking for fun. They are ridiculously good, but I can actually face them because the game does not give them any advantage for being an experienced player. When I get stomped, it's purely a difference in skill, and not because they have more runes or whatever. That's what I'm getting at. I also personally find it stupid that you have to buy or farm heroes.

Again Runes are gated by summoner level, and peopel are only matched up with similar summoner level players. You will not be fighting someone with a full rune page as a low level player. This is just simply flat out false and you can wave it around and be dramatic as you want but it's simply not true. Additionally runes and masteries are only a very very minor increase anyway so even if you did set up a match like that it wouldn't have much impact.

Not ONCE did I say "LoL is a shit game, Dota 2 is way better", which is more than can be said about "Dota 2 is garbage. It's filled with broken game design, an awful ui, and is generally an unplayable pile of shit."

So you don't think calling a game "pay-to-win" isn't calling a game a "shit game"?

Calm down a bit guys.

Think before you speak maybe. Insulting the way people choose to spend their time is just as much an insult to the people themselves. In short

^ Arguing with this kind of

Yoshi

^ Arguing with this kind of guy is just a waste of time. Butthurt LoL fanboyism at its finest.

LoL has more viewers because it has more players. I don't deny that. Dota 2 is still in beta. However, saying the game is a poor spectator sport is a bit... stupid. 600,000 viewers is not a small number of spectators and is bigger than any figure LoL has reached for one match, I believe.

Saying it isn't a "cash shop" because you can earn the items doesn't make it any less of a cash shop. You can spend cash there and get shit. GW2 has a cash shop where you buy gems to spend on cosmetics, but there is an ingame system to buy gems with gold so you can earn anything in the cash shop using only gold. It doesn't mean that it's not a cash shop.

I never said noobs get matched up against pros in LoL. I'm not so stupid as to assume LoL doesn't have a matchmaking system. What I'm getting at is that you simply CANNOT play on the same level as pros, because they have runes and heroes that you cannot play.

Maybe "pay-to-win" is a bit presumptuous. Fine. But you pay for heroes. lol. I can only imagine the absolute widespread outrage if you had to pay or farm for heroes in Dota 2.

Like I said: You need to calm down a bit, bro.

You guys done yet?

Ranulf

You guys done yet?

no

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

no

All I can add is: try it.

Ennea

humhum..

All I can add is: try it. It's not as imbalanced as you make it out to be. The difference is always skill, a good players without runes and masteries would always stomp a mediocre "fully equipped" player - if you can even call it that. It's really not that much of a difference, more of a specification to optimize the way you play.

Btw when is dota 2 supposed to be fully released ? It's in beta state since forever..

Re: You guys done yet?

Jacob31593

Ranulf said

You

What the fuck did you just say to me? "You" is highly disrespectful considering you know everyone's name. Why dont you show some fucking decency and address people with a little more familiarity Ranulf?

Ranulf said

guys

Oh ok so now we're all the same gender as well as the same person. This is an extremely diverse community Ranulf. Not only do we have a fair amount of lady browsers, but there are obviously a huge amount of male users of the site who identify with the opposite gender. Please try to be more considerate of your fellow gametabbers.

Ranulf said

done

No one likes Impatience Ranulf!! Rome wasnt built in a day, great threads like this one need to be given time to fully bloom, then we can munch on all the fruits that fall to the ground!

Ranulf said

yet?

Yetti

Re: All I can add is: try it.

Yoshi

Ennea said

All I can add is: try it. It's not as imbalanced as you make it out to be. The difference is always skill, a good players without runes and masteries would always stomp a mediocre "fully equipped" player - if you can even call it that. It's really not that much of a difference, more of a specification to optimize the way you play.

Btw when is dota 2 supposed to be fully released ? It's in beta state since forever..

I'm just 100% not interested in the game (for one, I hate the graphics) and I've watched plenty of games of my brother playing it. I also know for a fact that playing LoL for too long makes you worse at DotA/Dota 2, which I don't want at all since it's actually the primary game I play.

They said they don't even really consider it a beta anymore, and the only reason you still need a beta key to play is because they don't have enough servers to handle the huge player volume that would flood the game when they open it up.

Currently 90 out of the 108 heroes from DotA 1 are in Dota 2.

Re: You guys done yet?

Ranulf

What the fuck did you just say to me? "You" is highly disrespectful considering you know everyone's name. Why dont you show some fucking decency and address people with a little more familiarity Ranulf?

Hey, Jacob, what's up, brah?

Oh ok so now we're all the same gender as well as the same person. This is an extremely diverse community Ranulf. Not only do we have a fair amount of lady browsers, but there are obviously a huge amount of male users of the site who identify with the opposite gender. Please try to be more considerate of your fellow gametabbers.

Is "guys" not gender-neutral?

No one likes Impatience Ranulf!! Rome wasnt built in a day, great threads like this one need to be given time to fully bloom, then we can munch on all the fruits that fall to the ground!

Oh, so you're getting joy and/or a stiffy out of this, huh?

Yetti

What the fuck did you just say to me? "Yetti" is highly disrespectful considering you know everyone's name. Why dont you show some fucking decency and address people with a little more familiarity, Jacob?

The best PC game ever is

diralark

The best PC game ever was obviously World of Warcraft (Vanilla) C:

My favourite

ola3

I have to say Skyrim with Clannad as a close second followed by Touhou 06 The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

----------

I am on youtube named nanaki1997

Re: ^ Arguing with this kind of

Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Yoshi said

^ Arguing with this kind of guy is just a waste of time. Butthurt LoL fanboyism at its finest.

However, saying the game is a poor spectator sport is a bit... stupid.

Like I said: You need to calm down a bit, bro.

I've never played either, but no matter the topic...pretty unnecessary. You guys are obviously on opposite sides of the spectrum, but telling him to calm down after you directly insulted him? That's offensive to anybody, and Kara deserves as much respect as you wish for him to give you. He did call Dota an unplayable pile of shit or something along those lines, but at least he isn't egging you on and telling you to calm down. Now lets talk about some politics...

Sorry Jacob/Ranulf I am done

karathrow

Sorry Jacob/Ranulf I am done now.

(No subject)

auriplane

----------

Auriplane!!

http://littlefacemitt.tumblr.

Jacob31593

http://littlefacemitt.tumblr.com/

Politics + best pc game

Rook

Politics + best pc game evar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_Forever_2008_%2B_Primaries

Thx for the link Jewcob

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

Thx for the link Jewcob

(No subject)

Jacob31593

So, has anyone here bought

Ranulf

^Obamawan :D

So, has anyone here bought Dark Souls for PC? And, would they recommend it? I heard it was a bad port...

Re: So, has anyone here bought

Ennea

humhum..

Yes, it's awesome.

Problem is, it's close to a 1:1 port with nearly no optimizations for hardware and nearly no options (you can only change resolution).
However, Durante or whatever his name was made a few fixes to expand the ingame resolution cap and some other stuff, it looks way better with so I would recommend. And I'm pretty sure that publisher and/or community will release more of that sooner or later.

In case you need, his blog: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

Also I had huge fps problems at first but a few changes in my nvidia settings directly fixed that for me. Now it runs smoothly and it's a really great game. Definitly recommend!

Except you only play JRPG's or something like that.

About the dota 2 argument

worldeditor11

I am quite surprised about the argument regarding dota 2 and lol.I am not taking sides on this one.But more importantly,about the main purpose both games were made in the first place(one isnt).Is it FUN to play and found yourself enjoying it.And please dont call any of the games a piece of shit or anything equivalent because it is quite insulting to the game developers who develop both games.Let me put it this way,if someone is insulting your tab you made painstakingly for others and get some kind of insult for it.What will you feel?Argue for your points is good but please keep it positive.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2le3v2e.jpg

Hakoria

Laon King

lmao Auri.

ola3 said

I have to say Skyrim with Clannad as a close second followed by Touhou 06 The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

TH7 is best, even if 6 had flandre/cirno. The best OST and kaguya/reisen. Although every touhou games has epic sides to them, like the Sariel or Byakuren fights, eugh.
On a side note: clannad had my favorite ost of KEY VNs, air coming second.

Re: http://i45.tinypic.com/2le3v2e.jpg

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

aren't kaguya/reisen from TH8?

Ah yeah, I always mix up the

Hakoria

Laon King

Ah yeah, I always mix up the order of IN with PCB. Meant #8

But TH8 is baaaaad :'(

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

But TH8 is baaaaad :'(

TH6 is the way to go, 7 comes

Ennea

humhum..

TH6 is the way to go, 7 comes right after!

Dislike 8 :<

It's the first th I had

Hakoria

Laon King

It's the first th I had played after discovering Liverne's album, so nostalgia-love there. Most of my fave tracks are in this game which makes it my definite #1 for now >:
Haters.

Re: fuck you salem was going to

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

Lemoncobbler said

fuck you salem was going to say it :(

the best pc games are console games on emulators

fuckin lem beat me to it. a month long hiatus, and foiled from the get-go...

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

also, guild wars concept art

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

also, guild wars concept art looks like maro before there was maro...

(ma+ro=lead magic the gathering designer)

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

Wow, that's a hard one. I

JackAldride

Wow, that's a hard one. I have no idea, to be honest. I don't even remember the last time I played a computer game. Right now, I don't have much free time for that, and even if I decide to play something, I choose a platform on Worst Casino Reviews and play there. It can be profitable from time to time, but mostly, it's really entertaining.

I don't know how, but I'm

marshaa

I don't know how, but I'm really a fan of GTA games. I especially liked GTA 5 and the fact that in this part there is an opportunity to play online with other live players. It's really very exciting (of course, if you aren't a beginner and have a high level). Since I don't have a lot of free time to level up a character in the game, I decided to purchase gta 5 modded accounts on the Internet. I was surprised at how many offers for the sale of accounts in this game and what conditions for the transaction can be found at a fairly low price.