You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Looking into a new classical guitar

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I bought my old ovation for $350 last summer, but I've been playing some other guitars recently within that price range that I like a lot more than the one I have now. The sound on my guitar isn't bad, I just haven't totally fallen in love with it like I have with my steel string and my bass.

After doing some research, my dad and I put it on craigslist for $500, and we've already had a couple people offer to buy it, and it'll probably be gone within the next two weeks.

Now i'm looking for another classical guitar (preferably electric acoustic) within the $400-$700 price range. heres a couple that i've played before that I was interested in
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Manuel-Rodriguez-C1-Cedar-Top-Classical-Guit... 400$
The Esteve GR03 approx 500$
http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/classical.html
Cordoba Iberia C7 (this one was very easy to play even on the higher frets, sounded great, loved this one instantly, but a little more pricey.)
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-COD-C7CESPIN-LIST

tl;dr I need some nice classical guitar suggestions within the 400-700$ price range.

I've only played one Classic

zen03y

CATFOOD

I've only played one Classic guitar and that's my Prudencio Saez 34 (non electric), which I loved so much i stopped playing electric for a while. I'm sorry I don't totally understand tones and sounds so much, and I cant provide a sample of my own.

Acoustic Electrics- Originally I wanted to buy a Kremona Orpheus Valley R65cw, bout $500-600, since its the little brother of the famed F65CW.

You had me at "classical

musenji

You had me at "classical guitar". You lost me at "electric acoustic".

[edit] As a general principle, when you're making a decision you're going to have to live with for quite a while (months or probably years), make the right decision.

If you love something instantly, keep trying it out. If you still love it, don't let a 100 or 200 dollar difference deter you. It would be much better to spend 600 and love your guitar, than to spend 400 and regret it.

Obviously there's a line to be drawn somewhere for price, but you said your range was 400 to 700 dollars. I'm curious, did you decide on that exact range before or after you tried the Cordoba cutaway? :-)

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Hahahahha I'm so sorry for

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hahahahha I'm so sorry for disappointing you, but I really like the option of being able to plug into an amp.

I decided the 700 max, because I've got 400$ in the bank, but I always like to have 200 left for an emergency. Basically i'm willing to throw in 200 extra bucks alongside the funds that I get from selling my ovation. If I did find a magical perfect guitar for around 800, I would be able to dip into those emergency funds or ask my dad to help me out until the next pay check comes in, but I really don't want to spend more than 200 extra bucks.

I don't really know much

auriplane

I don't really know much about classical guitars, but have you checked out a Godin like Vic has? They make hybrid guitars, more like a modern steel-string design with a pickup and a radiused fretboard, but with nylon strings and wider nut/string spacing like a classical.

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitarshybridlightburst.html

I kind of want one xD But I've never played one, so I don't really know how they are.

----------

Auriplane!!

A Godin doesnt sound as good

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

A Godin doesnt sound as good if not plugged in though~ And you need time to get used to it, but its the guitar with the best playability.

i love my godin duet Nylon, but it took me 3 months to convince myself buying it~

to your above guitars, i cant say much, did not see these models here in germany~

edit: ah saw vics godin now, well, doesnt seem to be much different from other hybrid guitars

i've never played a godin,

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i've never played a godin, but i've seen them arround! i'll keep my eyes peeled next time i'm at guitar center or buffalo brothers.

Yo lemon, have you ever

musenji

Yo lemon, have you ever checked out this site? I highly recommend it:

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/

I imagine there would be even more people there who would be able to help.

But, it is with guitars, as it is with wine, and it is with classicals as it is with electrics--the most important thing is to try out as many different kinds as you can, to figure out what you like. Even try out the $3000 guitars at Guitar Center, just for the experience of playing them and gaining knowledge.

A bit more additional info about classicals:

I once read that the most important thing for a good sound is a solid top, but I went to a luthier in Chicago and he said that is not true--the bracing/structure on the inside affects the sound (ie vibration qualities) a lot more. But I think it's safe to say that a solid top is better than a non-solid top.

You shouldn't worry about getting a solid back/sides, because that's just way, way more expensive, plus, laminate back and sides can actually be more "weather durable", from what I've heard.

Some more info: Spruce and Indian Rosewood, as far as I know, is considered a pretty standard/good combination of top/side woods for a guitar. So when I looked at the Cordoba you're considering, I took note of that--and of the fact that it has a solid top. The fact that you "fell in love" with it right away would almost lock the decision for me if I was buying, but you probably still have lots of guitars out there you could try, so definitely do that. :-)

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

though i would try a full

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

though i would try a full solid guitar as well, i think in your price range you could get one~

i myself own a full solid spruce/rosewood Hanika, and there is a clear distinction imo.
And people told me as well to get a spruce instead of a cedar guitar, but thats well, i kinda like cedar tops more though, and am a bit sad i didnt buy a hanika with a cedar top at that time.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hanika_50pf_konzertgitarre.htm

Thanks for the link dude i'll

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thanks for the link dude i'll be lurking hard for the next couple of days.
The most expensive classical guitar I ever played was a 2.8k rodriguez at buffalo brothers. I think I was 16 at the time, and the people who worked their kept eyeballing me like "you're going to drop that fucking guitar I can feel it aughhh put it back and play something less pricey."
It sure played nice though, never heard such a beautiful guitar in my life.

I'll keep the solid top bit in mind and yeah, I'm going to try to play another one of those cordobas before I make any decisions.
also wow, i've never heard of a Hanika, but the sound sample that site offers sounded pretty damn good. I'll look for one of those too.

well like TrangOuls Höfner,

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

well like TrangOuls Höfner, Hanika is a german guitar, i dont think you will find it overseas, i just wanted to say you should try to sample a solid body guitar as well if you have the chance~

My advice is to not listen to

amz181

My advice is to not listen to suggestions.

For guitars I'd strongly suggest not getting one that you haven't played (e.g. buying one off the internet).

You cant be sure how said guitar will play like, if you like the feel of it, it's tone, acoustics etc. .It's like buying clothes off the internet, you cant be sure how well it fits you, or if it will suit you because you can't try it on. The right guitar for you can easily be a bad one for someone else because of your playstyle or simply taste.

Hence I advise you to lay siege to your nearby guitar shops and just play a load of guitars. Probability is that you'll find more than a couple you like, and if they're a tad pricey in the shop, get that model off the interwebz.

Might have a tad bit of trouble with the "electro-classical" criterion, they're relatively rare, so it may narrow your choice a bit.

I definately won't be buying

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I definately won't be buying a guitar that I haven't tried playing, i'm just taking suggestions for what guitars I should be keeping my eyes peeled on next time I go to a shop (which should be next week)

Shoot--I really hoped you

musenji

I wish you would have read amz181's first line and proceeded to ignore the rest of his post.

----------

the sass starts again

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

the sass starts again

edit: I mean it with love musenji I really do

Meet me in the back alley.

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

Meet me in the back alley. I've got just what you need.

I HOPE THE BACK ALLEY IS

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I HOPE THE BACK ALLEY IS SKYPE, I MISSED YOU NATE

do it nate

Jacob31593

do it nate

The Background Music threw me

yashakenkyaku

The Background Music threw me off for a minute. o.o Unfortunately I don't have anything positive to add. ^_^;;

The first thing that came to mind when I heard Electric and Classical was this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKMsXBfXbbk

even though you're probably thinking of something more along these lines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zGfQ0MSxuM

Ah, I just noticed the

Ando

Ah, I just noticed the Cordoba choice you're considering. That's the one I currently have (and looking to buy non-electric soon ), had it for a while now. Like Musenji said, it is a very solid guitar, very nice to play. Still, the best advice everyone keeps repeating is to play as many as you can until one "clicks" to your liking the most. Granted that the ones you like are within your price range. For what it's worth though, I definitely don't regret buying a Cordoba. Happy lurking!

Dude says not to listen to

musenji

Dude says not to listen to suggestions and then proceeds to make suggestions of a general nature.

Sass is asked for. :D

[edit] I would assume Jacob added the music but I really don't know. Maybe Nate?

----------

If you hear music, always

auriplane

If you hear music, always assume it's Jacob. Always!

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: If you hear music, always

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

auriplane said

If you hear music, always assume it's Nate. Always!

Well, sure, if you're going

auriplane

Well, sure, if you're going to be ACCURATE about it.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Well, sure, if you're going

Jacob31593

auriplane said

Well, sure, if you're going to be ACCURATE about it.

:D

surprisingly though, a lot of people accuse me of doing things like this in irc
but just to set the record straight: IM NOT A SUPER MOD, CANT EDIT POSTS

I just remember Jacob's

musenji

I just remember Jacob's "family man" post.

----------

Don't forget the most

auriplane

Don't forget the most important suggestion of all:

When you try some out or buy one, make sure you come back here and tell everyone all about it :-D

----------

Auriplane!!

I went to buffalo brothers

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I went to buffalo brothers (my local guitar store), there was a really pretty sounding 500$ guild guitar, but it looked like it needed some tender love and care before it would be worth purchasing.

All the 2000+ guitars were decent sounding but I really wasn't as impressed as I am by guitars of that price range! These were some weak high end guitars I assure you

There was another cordoba (I keep coming back to these hahaha), the C9. It was not electric, which is a bummer, but it sure sounded nice for the price! That was my pick of the day

I don't know how you feel

What if bears could

I don't know how you feel about Yamaha, but you could take a look at their NTX and NCX series. The models within your price range have a solid top, electronics, and sport a cutaway. I've had the chance to play a few, and they all seemed consistent in both build quality and sound.

Regarding the built-in electronics, someone more knowledgeable than myself will have to interpret whether or not the pickups on those guitars are any good. I could never figure that stuff out. But they shor' are purdy.

Never heard an

Bhael

Never heard an electro-classical that I like the sound of. They all seem to sound twangy, especially in the upper dynamics - even a bass-heavy equalisation doesn't completely eliminate this sound. I also don't like how they play - it feels like I'm being restricted to one dynamic range. I don't even understand why they are made this way - I've heard standard classical guitars with manually installed preamps that sound just as good. Electro-classicals are convenient for plug-in recording for those unwilling to fuss about with preamp installation, but I don't think they have anything on the standard model.

I also can't fathom why people are so eager to have a portion of their guitar's body 'cut away'. For ensemble musicians it makes a lot of sense, as it's all chords and solos. But for solo guitarists, playing far up makes for a huge loss of tone, especially on classicals. SOMETIMES a situation may arise where it's a good idea to hold a 4+ note chord past the 12th fret, but the loss of a portion of the guitar's body hardly makes it worthwhile. I hate cutaways and I hate electro-classicals. Rant over. :)

I'll take that into

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'll take that into consideration before buying anything Bhael hahaha. I have definitely noticed the sound difference between electric and non electric classicals, but what really draws me to the electric ones is that they usually feel really easy to play. I wont get a guitar that sounds like shit (well to me anyways, i'm sure with the price range i've got, most of these guitars will sound like shit to anyone whos remotely good ;J ) just because its easy to play. I'll make sure whatever I get will be easy to play for me AND sound good, weather its a cutaway, an electro-clssical, or a straight up no bullshit classical.

Re: Never heard an

tiger child

i hate cutaways, too. and would always prefer to mic a classical guitar (or any acoustic) than to have a pickup on it.

as for the guitar recommendation, it just comes down to what feels right for you. i've bought guitars that people thought i was an idiot for getting, but they played how i wanted, sounded how i wanted and thats what matters in the end. its not about street cred with your guitar or impressing anyone with a name or a price tag. its about your relationship with it and how you can manipulate it and work with it to create.

----------

this music is my greatest accomplishment
-brick road

I ended up buying the cordoba

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I ended up buying the cordoba C7- its so much easier to play than my ovation (and it doens't slide off my leg like the old one did hue hue.)
Heres a quick little sound test sightreading some tab or somethin
beep boop

page 1 music is still

Hakoria

Laon King

page 1 music is still creeping me out 1:
That is all.

Is that from FFIX, Lemon?

musenji

Is that from FFIX, Lemon?

----------

2nd part of Melodies of Life

Bhael

2nd part of Melodies of Life

yes musenji, it is from the

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

yes musenji, it is from the best final fantasy of all time