You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Learning the fretboard.

xSpearPointx

Embrace The Darkness

Hail,friends.

I'm having a horrible time learning the notes on the fretboard,I've tried going up and down the neck,saying each note aloud and grinding that for awhile,I've tried breaking it into blocks,like scale shapes,and doing that for awhile,I've tried first memorizing BCs and EFs and then learning everything in between,but none of it seems to stick at all,I know the EADGBE along the open and 12th,and all up and down the high and low E,but everything in between is just lost to me,and I've tried everything,wtf am I doing wrong?

I might also mention that I'm currently living in a very stressful environment,because I'm sure the very thought of taking everybody in my house,tying them to a pole,and setting them all aflame is getting very in my way of becoming a guitar wizard.

Tell me your secrets,Gametabs.

Try reading lots of sheet

auriplane

Try reading lots of sheet music.

EDIT: I guess I should elaborate a little. Read some beginner's sheet music, written in C. Learn where all your natural notes are, first low on the neck, then add other positions. Then slowly add sharps and flats.

What I'd *normally* recommend is what you said you already did. (Well, not exactly, but something similar. I can elaborate on that if you want.) But reading sheet music is a good way, because it really connects the notes on your guitar to the notes on the page. It changes the way you think about the fretboard, even later on when you aren't reading.

----------

Auriplane!!

Would you happen to have such

xSpearPointx

Embrace The Darkness

Would you happen to have such a sheet music or know where I can get some?

Re: Learning the fretboard.

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

xSpearPointx said

Hail,friends.

I'm having a horrible time learning the notes on the fretboard,I've tried going up and down the neck,saying each note aloud and grinding that for awhile,I've tried breaking it into blocks,like scale shapes,and doing that for awhile,I've tried first memorizing BCs and EFs and then learning everything in between,but none of it seems to stick at all,I know the EADGBE along the open and 12th,and all up and down the high and low E,but everything in between is just lost to me,and I've tried everything,wtf am I doing wrong?

I might also mention that I'm currently living in a very stressful environment,because I'm sure the very thought of taking everybody in my house,tying them to a pole,and setting them all aflame is getting very in my way of becoming a guitar wizard.

Tell me your secrets,Gametabs.

I will say this now, There are TWO types of fret board users. Being both takes a looooong time. they break down into

1. Scale pattern/octave and chord shape people.
(these guys depend more on the root note and simply know the shape that goes over it.)

2. Note guys, They know every note in every position, read sheet music and you know the rest.

Once you learn number 1 it takes awhile to do number 2 because your so use to it. The easiest way to learn the fret board is to combine both in a way that suits you and you will actually use. Find a good book, MI ( musicians institute ) "Music Reading" is a good way to learn it. You will find out rather quickly you can just use the books actual schools use and save yourself the time lol.

I also advise getting a Fretbord drilling program, Those help allot! Combine that with knowing your intervals in chord/scale shapes and the rest kinda falls together.
When it comes to sheet music the guitar is broken down into "positions" to prevent you from jumping all over the neck, So learn each postion and then use a drilling program to drill each position and slowly combine it with each other position til you get the first 12 frets.

Sure learning the notes on the E string and open strings is a start, But know each note out of order all over the place is the key.

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Also, this may or may not be

auriplane

Also, this may or may not be helpful, but I made this a long time ago:

http://www.auriplane.net/guitar/fretboard/

You can click hide notes and quiz yourself. Or mouse over notes and click them to try to identify patterns.

----------

Auriplane!!

Gio,I'm trying to become the

xSpearPointx

Embrace The Darkness

Gio,I'm trying to become the 2nd kind of fretboard user,I want to know all of the notes,because that way I'll know the scales and modes and everything,or at least they'll be easier to figure out without having to rely on the interwebs.

Auriplane,yes,this actually helps me greatly,I've just yet to figure out exactly how,but I see something,but my mind is far too cloudy for me to understand it at the moment.

Yeah, it sounds like need

Stamen47

no0bzOrG

Yeah, it sounds like need practice reading actual music, instead of just drilling the notes! I don't know the best way, if you have any music books around the house you could try reading from those. I found these violin etudes which seem to be pretty good (but you need to ignore the slurs and fingerings)

http://imslp.org/wiki/100_Violin_Etudes,_Op.32_%28Sitt,_Hans%29

I remember I had a tough time getting those nether-region notes down, also. I did drills like you've done, plus all the Segovia major and minor scales, and I still felt uncomfortable. What really helped me was learning all the major and minor arpeggios. I would practice them being very concious of which note I was going to when I shifted up and down the neck. Also just reading a ton of music over time helps a lot. And I still don't feel super comfortable, but I get by.

----------

Is this the end of zombie Shakespeare?

Like the above people said,

amz181

Like the above people said, play a load of sheet music.

What I also found really helpful when learning the notes of frets, was that I bought a load of small circular note stickers. I stuck them under each string, at every fret (up to the 12th). It made playing sheet music alot easier, and I learnt the notes quickly.

If you cant find note stickers (you should be able to get them from the internet easily), just cut out something like this http://www.brendanburns.com/Lessons/pdf/guitargifnote.gif and sellotape them to your guitar (make sure you use weak tape, so it doesnt damage or leave residue on your fretboard).

EDIT: http://www.fretdaddy.com/ <-- they sell stickers

EDITEDIT: As for where to find sheet music, a simple google search will work "free guitar sheet music". Also, this guy has a load of sheet music for his stuff http://jubing.net/compo.html

Re: Like the above people said,

xSpearPointx

Embrace The Darkness

Now see,I was thinking about some of these fret stickers,but what happens when I eventually take them off? Will I lose everything and be totally lost again or will it simply make drilling easier?

I actually made a fake guitar

auriplane

I actually made a fake guitar some years back, to help myself learn the fretboard. It was attached to a level, so that it felt solid and I could practice "fretting" on it if I wanted.

http://www.auriplane.net/fakeguitar2.jpg

I'd take it with me lots of places, and it was always a great conversation starter xD

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Like the above people said,

amz181

xSpearPointx said

Now see,I was thinking about some of these fret stickers,but what happens when I eventually take them off? Will I lose everything and be totally lost again or will it simply make drilling easier?

For me it made memorising the notes alot easier. When i first started, I'd always be looking at the fretboard and to see what note corresponds to what fret. But pretty quickly you start remembering the notes without looking.

So it speeds up the learning process.

You'll be taking off the stickers once you've learnt most of the notes, and if you play regularly, it really wont take that long.

Awesome tuners auri.

That sticker thing sounds

auriplane

That sticker thing sounds like a great idea, IMO.

EDIT: As long as it doesn't leave any gunk on your fretboard. When I started viola, my teacher used tape to show where the fingers went, and when I removed it, it took forever to get the gunk off. T_T

----------

Auriplane!!

I think I'll get a set of

xSpearPointx

Embrace The Darkness

I think I'll get a set of stickers then. (:

I'm getting a B.C. Rich KKV here soon,and it doesn't have markers except for the 12th,which is perfect because I already know Open and 12th.

I love BC Rich,I don't care what anybody says.

Re: I think I'll get a set of

Giogiogio4

xSpearPointx said

I think I'll get a set of stickers then. (:

I'm getting a B.C. Rich KKV here soon,and it doesn't have markers except for the 12th,which is perfect because I already know Open and 12th.

I love BC Rich,I don't care what anybody says.

Sheet music is good but if you dont drill the notes then you will get stuck. Drilling lets you know any note at anytime. When you read sheet music, Music really doe snot skip as much. So you will get locked into little areas.

The way I did it was, Read sheet music for whatever given position
( like in that book i said ) Then Drill that position So your learning the notes all through the position and not just in a musical direction. I avoided using any chart or stickers because it handicaps you. And you will find out that you dont need them for that long because any sheet music book that starts u off will do it in small parts. And if you use them, then guess what? when you take them off your right where you started anyways because now it's another test of remembering them.

A good balance is between knowing your shapes and notes. You don't want to keep calculating Mode formulas when it's a simple shape, But you need your notes so you know what to play over what chord and so forth.

Edit. PLUS when using sheets you should not be looking at the fretboard anyways ;P

----------

Alright,for those of you

xSpearPointx

Embrace The Darkness

Alright,for those of you telling me to use sheet music,this might be a stupid question,but how do I read sheet music?

Like,I know my time signatures and everything,but how do I tell what the position of the note tells me where to be on the fretboard?

From kabuki's arranging

amz181

From kabuki's arranging tut:

The pink E is your low E, the highest E you can see is your High E.

I didn't realise you were completely new to reading music. Do you know about things like natural notes, and key signatures?

I know natural notes,and key

xSpearPointx

Embrace The Darkness

I know natural notes,and key signatures sounds really familiar,but I can't think of what they are atm.

Re: I know natural notes,and key

Giogiogio4

xSpearPointx said

I know natural notes,and key signatures sounds really familiar,but I can't think of what they are atm.

Thats why they learn them in "postions" You read music in that postion til you memorize the notes. Sometimes just 2 or 3 strings at a time. Most sheet music books will start you off in a givin postion and gradually add more notes.

It's not that hard to just pick up a book now is it?

I already suggested MI's "Music Reading for Guitar" The complete Method for a reason...

----------

xSpearPointx

Embrace The Darkness

I know,I'm looking into the book,I'm just find that hearing things explained by someone else is usually clearer than what's in the book so I'm trying to find all the sources I can. :D

Giogiogio4

xSpearPointx said

I know,I'm looking into the book,I'm just find that hearing things explained by someone else is usually clearer than what's in the book so I'm trying to find all the sources I can. :D

believe me, it doesn't get much clearer then that :P just go through it page by page and in notime you will have it.

----------

If you want someone to teach

auriplane

If you want someone to teach you how to read sheet music, you should probably go hire a private teacher :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Education.

Heridan

I take everything about studying very harshly, trying to control even where it does not work at all. So it is with the essays. I applied for 5 college competitions at once, wanting to win everything and did not have time to write 3 papers in different directions. I was really helped out by the authors from here https://typemyessays.com/critical-thinking we approached the work with all seriousness, wrote quickly and efficiently.

Learning

Ponka

Very interesting. I also like to constantly learn something new for me, and I especially like it when I receive a scholarship for my knowledge. And I often manage to achieve such success in education, for example, now I am preparing a fellowship application personal statement Of course, all this takes effort and time, but a good scholarship is definitely worth it.