You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Fingerstyle Challenge #9

Ennea

humhum..

This week I chose NagominG's arrangement of "Uninstall", which can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7IOeq4CCXM&feature=plcp (1:32-2:05). Although he's playing it slightly different with more extras, I want you to play it like it's written in his tab - at least for your entry video.

Now for the actual challenge:

Capo 1

H        Q    Q     
|-----------0----2----|
|---------------------|
|---------------------|
|---------------------|
|---------------------|
|---------------------|

E  E  E  E  E  E  Q       E  E  E  E  Q    Q       E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E   
--3-----L--0-----L-------|--3-----------3----5----|--7--------8-----L--7-----|
-----------0-----L--3----|-----------1--L---------|--------5--0-----------0--|
-----------0--L----------|--------0---------------|--------0-----------0-----|
--------2----------------|-----2------------------|-----0-----------0--------|
-----2-------------------|--3---------------------|--------------------------|
--0----------------------|------------------------|--3-----------7-----------|

E  E  E  E  E  E  E   E     E  E  E  E  Q    Q       E  E  E  E  Q    Q     
--5-----L--7-----L--5s--3--|--3-----------0---------|--3-----------3----5----|
-----------0--------0------|--------------0----3----|-----------1--L---------|
--------7--------0---------|-----------0--L----0----|--------0---------------|
-----0--------0------------|--------2---------------|-----2------------------|
--0------------------------|-----2------------------|--3---------------------|
---------------------------|--0---------------------|------------------------|

E  E  E   Q     E  E   E     E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E   
--7-----8--10-----L---------|-----7--5--3--2-----0-----|
------------0-----L--8--10--|-----8--7--5--3--3--0--0--|
--------0------------7---9--|-----------------2-----0--|
-----0----------------------|--------------------------|
----------------------------|--------------------------|
--3-------------------------|--0-----------------------|

E  E  E  E  E  E  Q       E  E  E  E  Q    Q       E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E   
--3-----L--0-----L-------|--3-----------3----5----|--7--------8-----L--7-----|
-----------0-----L--3----|-----------1--L---------|--------5--0-----------0--|
-----------0--L----------|--------0---------------|--------0-----------0-----|
--------2----------------|-----2------------------|-----0-----------0--------|
-----2-------------------|--3---------------------|--------------------------|
--0----------------------|------------------------|--3-----------7-----------|

E  E  E  E  E  E  E   E     E  E  E  E  Q    Q       E  E  E  E  Q    Q     
--5-----L--7-----L--5s--3--|--3-----------0---------|--3-----------3----5----|
-----------0--------0------|--------------0----3----|-----------1--L---------|
--------7--------0---------|-----------0--L---------|--------0---------------|
-----0--------0------------|--------2---------------|-----2------------------|
--0------------------------|-----2------------------|--3---------------------|
---------------------------|--0---------------------|------------------------|

^                                        
  E  E  E  Q    E   E   E     W                   Q    Q    Q    Q     
--7-----L--7----7s--8s--7--|--5----------------|--L----3----2----0----|
-----------0---------------|--3----------------|--L----3----2----0----|
--------0------------------|--2----------------|--L--------------0----|
-----0---------------------|--0----------------|--L-------------------|
---------------------------|--0----------------|--L-------------------|
--3------------------------|-------------------|----------------------|

It will be judged by the criterias of the former challenges, if you need more info just take a quick look into them.

srsly, you play all the songs

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

srsly, you play all the songs i do xD . .

"Although he's playing it

Hakoria

Laon King

"Although he's playing it slightly different with more extras, I want you to play it like it's written in his tab - at least for your entry video."
He strums the first beat of most measures while muting the strings in between. I still read it as simply picking both lead and bass at the same time except for m17 where there's the ^ strumming direction indicated.
Is that was you consider one of his extras?

Btw, great choice, especially taking the chorus. This OP is one reason I wasn't entirely disappointed with the anime compared to the manga, great piece.

Re: "Although he's playing it

Ennea

humhum..

Hakoria said

"Although he's playing it slightly different with more extras, I want you to play it like it's written in his tab - at least for your entry video."
He strums the first beat of most measures while muting the strings in between. I still read it as simply picking both lead and bass at the same time except for m17 where there's the ^ strumming direction indicated.
Is that was you consider one of his extras?

Btw, great choice, especially taking the chorus. This OP is one reason I wasn't entirely disappointed with the anime compared to the manga, great piece.

Well I rather compared the whole piece which had some slaps and variations, but the chorus measures aren't so different I guess.

Clanver - Yeah I noticed that too :p Was looking up some stuff to play at youtube and they are all connected somehow : d

ima bumpin dis.

Ennea

humhum..

ima bumpin dis.

Seriously, these people

musenji

Seriously, these people (clearly Asian?) who wear masks kinda creep me out. What is wrong with showing me your face, Asian people?

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Re: Seriously, these people

karathrow

musenji said

Seriously, these people (clearly Asian?) who wear masks kinda creep me out. What is wrong with showing me your face, Asian people?

the only person I know of that does this is VizardAnshin or however you spell his name. He does it because he got tired of comments about being Asian ("Oh you're only good because you're asian blah blah") or something to that effect.

EDIT: Oh right you were talking about the op. I don't know man, some people are crazy.

Not just that--you can look

musenji

Not just that--you can look from that video to the "related videos" on the right:

tuengxx, violin, full mask

jeffp07, guitar, half-mask

theology0515, guitar, surgical mask

fagetfaget, drums, surgical mask and bandana

...It's not limited to one instrument, but seems to be pretty much exclusively Asians who do it, so I have to guess it's some sort of subculture.

[edit] I've just learned that it's really common in Japan to wear a mask when you're sick, to prevent spreading your germs to other people. Another reason is to prevent allergic reactions to pollen, etc. Another reason is just to stay warm. So there are a few reasons to wear masks...in public. None of these explain wearing one inside for a youtube video, especially when it's a character mask and not just a surgical mask.

However, it's also apparently a form of self-defense for shy people, and because so many people wear masks for those other reasons, it's not uncommon for people to wear masks simply because they are shy. So my best guess is that people posting music performances on YouTube, with masks on, are shy people, and if wearing masks was common in the US, we'd see it on YouTube from US posters as well.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

What's wrong about wearing a

Yogurt

What's wrong about wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. It's a performance they can express themselves however they want.

btw is anyone going to submit a recording O__o

To be honest I think we can

Ennea

humhum..

To be honest I think we can actually close this contest, even if someone will bring up a recording it will be the same with the next challenge.

I said months ago the contest

Bhael

I said months ago the contest needed a break, but did people listen? Noooooooo :D.

Trust me, a couple of months without seeing it on the homepage will refresh people's willingness to participate. It is also my belief that we should reboot with the more technical/fun challenges in order to rein in a consistent membership. The more technically challenging it is, the more likely people will participate imo.

Re: What's wrong about wearing a

auriplane

Yogurt said

What's wrong about wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. It's a performance they can express themselves however they want.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: I said months ago the contest

Ennea

humhum..

Bhael said

I said months ago the contest needed a break, but did people listen? Noooooooo :D.

Trust me, a couple of months without seeing it on the homepage will refresh people's willingness to participate. It is also my belief that we should reboot with the more technical/fun challenges in order to rein in a consistent membership. The more technically challenging it is, the more likely people will participate imo.

I think giving people more than a month for a submission is enough time to count as a break, also it's been like that for the last 3 contests as well :p Doubt that people will be motivated for more then 1 contest even after a long break.

But they weren't OFFICIAL

Bhael

But they weren't OFFICIAL breaks. I'm confident that if we have a 2 month breather we can kick life back into this weekly thingymehbob. We could also make it bi weekly.

us avid contesters should

Jacob31593

us avid contesters should break away and make our own forum

Re: us avid contesters should

auriplane

Jacob31593 said

We could call it "957"!

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: us avid contesters should

Jacob31593

auriplane said

Jacob31593 said

We could call it "957"!

our own website containing a forum of our design, curse you and your need for specifics >:U

Yogurt, if you can point me

musenji

Yogurt, if you can point me to where I said that wearing a mask was a BAD thing, I'll be very impressed.

I am just curious about the source of what seems to be a cultural trend among a specific group. It does not seem to be "something that some individuals just happen to do."

Wanting to understand or explain something is not the same as thinking it's bad.

----------

There's also the fact that

karathrow

There's also the fact that some people may not have an interest in certain pieces so their participation may fluctuate contest to contest.

For me I don't have any way to record right now so I can't really do anything if I wanted to :(

Re: Yogurt, if you can point me

auriplane

musenji said

Yogurt, if you can point me to where I said that wearing a mask was a BAD thing, I'll be very impressed.

Oh, a challenge! Well, "Creep me out" and "what is wrong with" sound like expressions of disapproval to me.

Let M = goodness of wearing a mask
Let F = goodness of showing your face

Suppose M ≥ 0, that is to say, there's nothing wrong with wearing a mask. Let's consider both cases for F:

F = 0 ∧ M ≥ 0 ⇒ M ≥ F
F < 0 ∧ M ≥ 0 ⇒ M ≥ 0 > F ⇒ M > F ⇒ M ≥ F

(We'll omit the case where F > 0, because it's not part of the dichotomy implied by your statement.)

In the first case, there's nothing wrong with showing your face, and nothing wrong with wearing a mask, either. So, a rational actor could wear a mask with no particular reason, as they'd be no worse off.

In the second case, there's still nothing wrong with wearing a mask, but now we consider that something is wrong with showing your face. But it doesn't matter--we reach the same conclusion as if there were nothing wrong with it.

Therefore, regardless of whether there's something wrong with showing your face, if wearing a mask is not bad, then they have no reason not to do so.

Since asking what's wrong with showing your face is not relevant, it is a nonsequitur. But by Grice's maxim of relation, one can assume you didn't intend it that way! But we showed that if M ≥ 0, it is not relevant. This is contradicted, so it follows from your statement that M < 0, that is, that wearing a mask is bad.

(Just having fun, feel free to tear my reasoning apart... ;-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Well this thread has been

karathrow

Well this thread has been productive.

Hey, the more off-topic

auriplane

Hey, the more off-topic blather, the more the thread stays bumped. ;-)

----------

Auriplane!!

maybe i'll make some noodles

Jacob31593

maybe i'll make some noodles or something, what do you guys think?

I'm guessing no. No noodles

auriplane

I'm guessing no. No noodles for you.

----------

Auriplane!!

can i make noobles then?

Jacob31593

can i make noobles then?

All signs point to yes

auriplane

All signs point to yes

----------

Auriplane!!

good, im hungry! brb

Jacob31593

good, im hungry!
brb

im full now

Jacob31593

im full now

Re: There's also the fact that

Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Bhael said

karathrow said

There's also the fact that some people may not have an interest in certain pieces so their participation may fluctuate contest to contest.

For me I don't have any way to record right now so I can't really do anything if I wanted to :(

A middle ground of the above...I didn't know half of the weekly challenge songs before I joined, but I love most of them now. It's hit or miss - whether or not people will want to participate based on the song - but I think a break and then biweekly contests sounds more calm...and good. I didn't know this song when the contest opened and I still really don't, so that's why I didn't try. :/

I think selecting a song

Yogurt

I think selecting a song everyone will enjoy playing and challenging themselves with is the real problem here. Everyone has different tastes (and playing ability) the winner deciding on what to play next is kind of ehhh...

Explains why some challenges have many entries and others none at all. I don't think people are lazy, it's just the choice of songs?

What do you guys think? Maybe its time to make a few adjustments to the challenge.

I literally forgot that I

musenji

I literally forgot that I said that. That's kind of frightening.

People are free to do what they like, of course. Auri, your equations were very entertaining, and well taken--but I misspoke when I said "these people creep me out". It was just some of the masks that did, the more "evil" looking ones.

Look, I saw Asian people covering their faces on YouTube. I didn't see anyone else doing it. I wanted to find an explanation for the phenomenon, because I like knowing things, having things explained. There had to be a reason that it was just Asians. I found what I was looking for (at least I think I did), on my own, after asking here and receiving no help. Pretty much thought the story would end there.

----------

It's the neverending story~

auriplane

It's the neverending story~

----------

Auriplane!!

I think the NEVERending story

musenji

I think the NEVERending story is in a different thread. :-)

----------

Re: I literally forgot that I

Hakoria

Laon King

musenji said

Look, I saw Asian people covering their faces on YouTube. I didn't see anyone else doing it. I wanted to find an explanation for the phenomenon, because I like knowing things, having things explained. There had to be a reason that it was just Asians. I found what I was looking for (at least I think I did), on my own, after asking here and receiving no help. Pretty much thought the story would end there.

In case you didn't find what you were looking for, or if it was bs:

Started as a niconico trend because (either) 1. them high schoolers didn't want to get noticed by their irl friends for covering animu pieces and be made fun of, or 2. them adults not wanting their bosses to fire them for being unproductive in their free time towards the corporation/company they belong to, but instead by spending time covering animu songs.
3. animal masks are awesome.

Something like that, + the masks/location(bg room) ends up as sufficient enough. People instantly recognize who's covering without any need of seeing their face, which is good enough as the latter does not add to the music except for laughs if the guy can't keep his face muscles in check while playing. Non-asians do it too for the same reasons so w/e.
Videos like the one used in this contest though are generally taken from nico, only a few nico users actively post their covers on yt at the same time (marasy8, guitaryman, etc up it on both though since they're glad to have non-jap fans too).

Productive post!

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

If you don't want to be spotted doing covers on youtube, why the fuck would you film your face? You can film below your head or don't put video at all.
I guess the mask thing just look cool, so its more views

I'm having 4 fromages pizza tonight

I support masks I might wear

Rook

ce98fadec40a227b2a9aec16292e8f68.gif

I support masks
I might wear an iron man mask when I upload a video

Hakoria

Laon King

RexLeRouge said

I guess the mask thing just look cool, so its more views

I'm having 4 fromages pizza tonight

I had 3 fromages pizza last night and you need to crossdress for even more views.

And I think this is the best

Lord Kamina

I will not fear; fear is the mind killer.

And I think this is the best piece of software ever and everybody should use it.

Also: I'm serious, this is not spam AND it is relevant to the whole thing with the masks: http://www.tannr.com/herp-derp-youtube-comments/

----------

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)

What is this thread ? I can't

Ennea

humhum..

What is this topic ? I can't remember!!

next fingerstyle winner has

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

next fingerstyle winner has the right to choose someone, while crossdressing covering a song for youtube ?

ehm Oo...

No

Alexander

Hi karathrow.

Re: No

karathrow

Alexander said

Hi karathrow.

Who's this?

Alexander

karathrow said

Alexander said

Hi karathrow.

Who's this?

q.q

karathrow

Alexander said

karathrow said

Alexander said

Hi karathrow.

Who's this?

q.q

I'm assuming it's Alexandertheguest, but I wasn't sure.

Oh

Alexander

That was my name, right. I forgot that.

How's it going?

Re: Oh

karathrow

Alexander said

That was my name, right. I forgot that.

How's it going?

Not bad bro, it's good to see you around again. Gametabs has been pretty dead lately.

I've been too busy to spam

auriplane

I've been too busy to spam EVERY thread. I'm down to maybe half.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: I've been too busy to spam

worldeditor11

Auri,what happen to the cosplay thread?Its missing.

I saw a thread titled "Sexy

auriplane

I saw a thread titled "Sexy Cosplay Thread - Admins jerk off to this page". I deleted it rather than dignifying it with a response.

----------

Auriplane!!

Hey a new challenge, cool

Ennea

humhum..

Hey a new challenge, cool let's get star..... oh wait no, nevermind. :(

Seems to be so hard that we extend the weekly challenge to a year! If needed we can add another year and so on.

Re: I saw a thread titled "Sexy

worldeditor11

An understandable action to take.