You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Kemper Profiling Amplifier

CpxAzn

Lurker

Shit is real

I would have jumped on it already if it could direct record through usb.
1 hour video is also real.

Re: Kemper Profiling Amplifier

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

Im pretty sure you can.

It's mostly a "profiling amp" rather then an Amp Sim. So you wouldn't have as much control over the sound other then mixing/tweaking a sound you profiled. So you would either Need the actual gear you want to copy or rely on other users to provide profiles.

It's a Great idea to bring along all your favorite gear in 1 Box or have as a backup.
But my money is still on AXE FX 2 :) They are soo awesome.

A TON of other Amp sims also provide the same features for free with CAB settings with
"impulses". Those are basically Cab responses users created. Free of course everywhere. So you could load up your Guitar VST or turn off the cab on your SIM and run it directly into one of those on your PC. Youtube them. they make a difference if used right.

And LMAO, Im 20 miles or so from your location

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

You can still change

CpxAzn

Lurker

You can still change gain/eq/add on-board effects after it is profiled so that is enough for me.

I've looked it up and the USB on this thing doesn't record. Only loads profiles.

Edit: Also, I have used impulses in my recordings.

Here is Kemper profiling an

CpxAzn

Lurker

Here is Kemper profiling an Axe FX

I think its really cool and I

Moogiefish

I think its really cool and I want to check one out but the toaster oven shape makes it hard to integrate into a current setup at least that is what i think.

Apparently they are already

CpxAzn

Lurker

Apparently they are already working on a rack version.

Re: Here is Kemper profiling an

Giogiogio4

CpxAzn said

Here is Kemper profiling an Axe FX

Yeah i seen it, but you still need the initial AXE FX to get the profile from and then your kinda stuck with that sound. It's great as a back up log for your fav sounds but not really to make new ones. Im sure they will improve them more and more and make that feature and such.

----------

You don't really need the

CpxAzn

Lurker

You don't really need the initial Axe Fx. I'm sure everything is going to be profiled in no time and posted up. There's a profile bank on the kemper site where you can download. Then you can also change the gain and EQ those profiles. Then if you get bored of that, you dig through your other hundreds of profiles you downloaded. Just my opinion though, I would like access to all those amps.

Seems pretty promising. Other

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

Seems pretty promising.

Other than the obvious "amp collector" use, I could easily see that in recording studios for sophisticated mic placement/cab/etc...

I'd like to put my hands on one

Re: You don't really need the

Giogiogio4

CpxAzn said

You don't really need the initial Axe Fx. I'm sure everything is going to be profiled in no time and posted up. There's a profile bank on the kemper site where you can download. Then you can also change the gain and EQ those profiles. Then if you get bored of that, you dig through your other hundreds of profiles you downloaded. Just my opinion though, I would like access to all those amps.

To get the sound, yes you would need an axe fx. All it does is "profile" it as in copy, So you need the AXe fx in the first place to even get the decent sound your looking for. Unless you plan on searching the web for people who bought this and went out and profiled an axe fx. See the problem? Unless you have the amp you want to profile will have to rely on other people. And it's not very common for someone to spend 2k on an amp head just to Profile the sound for you to download.

----------

gio i think cpxazn might know

Jacob31593

gio i think cpxazn might know a little more about this than you, he is azn after all

http://kemper-amps.com/forum/

CpxAzn

Lurker

http://kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?page=Board&boardID=15

This doesn't even have to

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

This doesn't even have to compare with the axe fx (or pod, torpedo, whatever simulator you want...), since you're the one who create the profiles. You can't have more control over your sound, can you?
Profiles are literally gonna rain on the internet

Turns out that kemper is so

CpxAzn

Lurker

Turns out that kemper is so customizable, it even captures the cab in the profiling process. Then you can swap the cab between your profiles, or you can use an interface to your computer and use impulses. If you decide to use a profiled cab on the kemper, you can shape the sound of the cab.

Re: gio i think cpxazn might know

Giogiogio4

Jacob31593 said

gio i think cpxazn might know a little more about this than you, he is azn after all

The Kemp "Captures" That is all. From simple tweaking there isn't much more. While the axe lets u Build your own rig from the ground up. Even the effects on how the "tubes" work is changeable.

So Like I said Unless someone who has 20k worth of Cabs decides to profile his amp and every combination ever to make profiles for you to download then I highly doubt it. A "High gain" setting will always be a high gain setting. There is no turning off a pedal to get a clean channel. The "tweaking" is nothing more then a simple EQ fix that you can do on a computer for free.

Impulses are free and all over the net, Thats Nothing new. The axe had cab impulse capture abiltiles for awhile and Even reamping. Even my tiny Zoom G3 was the ability to change the cabs im using or simply run a cabless tone out and use impulses on my PC instead when i record.
( reamping is when you record a dry track and run it back through the processor/amp to change your tone without having to record )

The Axe has every effect known to man in the thing plus everything any studio guitarist could ever dream of. The thing would take years to master. Theres a reason why more pros use an Axe. The Kemp is more of a Backup tone unit so you have your tone just in case something happens, Or you decide you want to travel lighter by packing your tone into 1 box. But you still need your effects and piles of pedals.

----------

Re: This doesn't even have to

Giogiogio4

RexLeRouge said

This doesn't even have to compare with the axe fx (or pod, torpedo, whatever simulator you want...), since you're the one who create the profiles. You can't have more control over your sound, can you?

If you could "create your own tone" as in you have the gear, then why would you bother buying this if you have a 3k mesa boogie head in the first place?

----------

Re: gio i think cpxazn might know

CpxAzn

Lurker

Giogiogio4 said

The Kemp "Captures" That is all. From simple tweaking there isn't much more. While the axe lets u Build your own rig from the ground up. Even the effects on how the "tubes" work is changeable.

♦ Pick
The “Pick” parameter allows you to control the level and sharpness of the pick attack independently from
the sustained portion of the sound. The result is also independent from the amount of distortion. You can
use this parameter to make clean sounds even more percussive without having to use a compressor. With
fully distorted sounds, you can revive the attack phase of any notes that get drowned in the natural com-
pression caused by distortion. If you set “Pick” to a negative value, it will soften the attack, resulting in a
more fluid sound.

♦ Tube Shape
“Tube Shape” controls the distortion characteristics of the tubes, ranging from very soft to very hard. All
kinds of crunch sounds can be dialed up, from warm blues to singing metallic to harsh. Depending on the
gain setting or the playing style, the resulting effect can be rather subtle; completely distorted sounds are
mostly unaffected by this parameter, as are clean sounds. Set the value to 3 o’clock to simulate the typi-
cal sound of preamp tubes. To achieve a power amp tube character, try setting “Tube Shape” to 9 o’clock.
Power amp tubes produce a much harder distortion, because the negative feedback in the power amp cir-
cuit linearizes the tube amplification, making the distortion curve edgier.

♦ Tube Bias
“Tube Bias” influences the overtone structure of the distortion. While the effect on the character of the
sound is fairly subtle, you should feel a quite a difference in the distortion dynamics: as you increase the
amount of “Tube Bias” the guitar will go into distortion much earlier in the dynamic range, yet still retain a
lot of dynamic headroom. At maximum value the distortion characteristics mimic those of a Tube Scream-
er.

♦ High Shift, Low Shift
Both of these parameters influence the characteristic formants of a cabinet profile, thereby simulating a
change in size. “High Shift” will make the higher formants more prominent, whereas “Low Shift” does the
same for the lower frequencies.

♦ Character
Use this parameter to change the overall character of the cab. Turning the knob to the right of center will
enlarge the peaks and notches in the frequency response curve. This will emphasize the character of the
cabinet, and may sound too penetrating at extreme values. Turning it to left of center will smooth the dif-
ferences between the peaks and notches in the frequency response curve, and flatten the character of the
cabinet. Towards the leftmost position, the sound will resemble that of analog cabinet simulations (which
often have a very simple frequency response and little character).

So Like I said Unless someone who has 20k worth of Cabs decides to profile his amp and every combination ever to make profiles for you to download then I highly doubt it.

It is not like only one person is profiling. If you download a rig profile from the internet, it will come with both the amp AND the cab, which means you can use the combination with your existing profiles.

A "High gain" setting will always be a high gain setting. There is no turning off a pedal to get a clean channel. The "tweaking" is nothing more then a simple EQ fix that you can do on a computer for free.

I beg to differ...the second you turn gain volume down, it becomes clean.

Impulses are free and all over the net, Thats Nothing new. The axe had cab impulse capture abiltiles for awhile and Even reamping. Even my tiny Zoom G3 was the ability to change the cabs im using or simply run a cabless tone out and use impulses on my PC instead when i record.
( reamping is when you record a dry track and run it back through the processor/amp to change your tone without having to record )

Pretty much anything allows you to swap cabs, but can they profile both amp and cab?

And I do know what reamping is, and the kemper has the ability to do that.

Re: This doesn't even have to

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

Giogiogio4 said

RexLeRouge said

If you could "create your own tone" as in you have the gear, then why would you bother buying this if you have a 3k mesa boogie head in the first place?

Like I said in my first post, using the amp+cab+mic in different situations to obtain new sounds. The kemper is clearly designed for people who like (and have time) to work on a sound, mostly professionals so. As a bedroom guitarist, I wouldn't buy it.Though I'd love to have one at work.