You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Lead sended ! :)

hashel

Lead sended ! :)

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

The tuning is iffy on what I

auriplane

The tuning is iffy on what I think is Pasto's part. No other tuning problems stand out to me.

I think the approach you guys are using is messing up any chance you have to get a tight sounding rhythm when you record. I think that's okay for this track--it won't have super tight rhythm at this point, but it'll still sound okay.

I'd just re-record Pasto's guitars tuned better and mix the bass higher.

----------

Auriplane!!

Here are some things you

auriplane

Here are some things you could try for future collabs, which might help with rhythm:

• If you use a play-along track, absolutely do not under any circumstances encode it to MP3 and play along with that MP3. (See below.)
  • If you send anyone an MP3, it's only to hear what something sounds like. Do not ever import an MP3 into your DAW. MP3s are for finished tracks only!
  • Try not to place tracks by hand. It's easy to get a track in the ballpark, but a huge pain in the butt to try to sync tracks exactly down to the sample. When you move a track back or forth slightly, that's called "nudging", and people do it intentionally to change the feel of a track. (Check out sample delay and subsample delay plugins.) But you wouldn't want to do it by accident by syncing poorly!
  • Make sure you use direct monitoring (a.k.a. "hardware monitoring") rather than software monitoring, which adds significant latency. Latent monitoring makes it much harder to play with good rhythm! If you are forced to use software monitoring, make sure you aren't using any plugs that add latency, and make sure you've got the sample window as small as you can without problems (like, 128 or lower, if possible).
----------

Auriplane!!

Explanation of the MP3 thing:

auriplane

Explanation of the MP3 thing:

MP3 discards the precise timing of the beginning of a song by discarding the number of samples in the first frame. This offsets the entire rest of the song. It also introduces MPEG artifacts that affect perception of timing. For example, group delay (some frequencies are more delayed than others), pre-echo (where you hear a very quiet echo BEFORE the main transient, dulling your perception of the transient itself), and transient smearing (where the precise start of the sound is spread out over a longer period of time).

If you used a 320kbit MP3, you would probably not be able to hear any artifacts. But you'd still have the offset at the beginning of the file, which varies from MP3 to MP3, so you'd have syncing problems.

Only use MP3 for delivery of the final track!!

----------

Auriplane!!

Auri, would I be able to use

Ianlicious

Auri, would I be able to use this automation or something else to cut that background fuzz from the lead track?

also, I can send you the lead file if you wanna have a look see.

http://tindeck.com/listen/jbhp

I tuned up my guitars a bit and re-did the dist rhythm, too.

but yeah. I'd like to know how to get rid of that fuzz without having to cut the quiet sections of the audio file out.

----------

"Robots are machines that follow orders. If I don't follow orders, what does that make me?"

Well, by turning the volume

auriplane

Well, by turning the volume down to 0, then turning it back up. (You can use a noise gate or the mute button, too. But if you cut it off too abruptly, it'll make a click.) You could edit it too, if you want.

The nice thing about automation is that it's non-destructive ("destructive" just means "modifies the audio file", it doesn't mean the audio is degraded). So if you accidentally cut out too much, but don't notice until after you've made a bunch of other changes, you can go back and change the automation, because the part you cut out is still there in the underlying file. You don't have to undo all the changes you made inbetween, and then redo them.

Let me know if I'm saying too much stuff :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

A noise gate is an automated

auriplane

A noise gate is an automated mute button, basically. You could use that to do the work for you, if you set it right. It turns on the mute button on the quiet parts of a track, then turns it off for the loud parts.

----------

Auriplane!!

solos sended, now i have big

hashel

solos sended, now i have big familly problems, have to leave you, see ya

----------

@Auri: Thank you for the

Ianlicious

@Auri: Thank you for the tips/suggestions. I'm learning a lot!

so I took your advice and learned how automation works and I'm blown away by the difference I was able to make in the track.

http://tindeck.com/listen/pnqe

I think I'm getting the hang of it!

----------

"Robots are machines that follow orders. If I don't follow orders, what does that make me?"

It sounds like someone is

karathrow

It sounds like someone is trying to do some kind of bend or vibrato the entire time on the clean guitar and it's really annoying. I don't know if that's the same thing as what plane was talking about with the wobbly pitch.

At 2:45 it's apparent something has gone horribly wrong, but I have no idea where. Probably timing being off like plane said.

The distorted guitar kind of deafens everything else. I know it's supposed to be louder but the track just sounds like mush when everything is playing at once.

Like Karathrow said, when

Juja

Like Karathrow said, when that distorted guitar comes in, it sort of overtakes everything else. You guys should try recording a second track of that distorted guitar playing the chords and then pan one all the way to the left and the other all the way to the right, and then turn the volume down on both until they fit in with song instead of overtaking everything.

I'm also curious about that warbly effect. Is it an effect like from a pedal? Was it recorded slower and then sped up artificially so that it makes that sound? Is somebody just wiggling their finger around like crazy or jiggling the whammy bar on every single note? Whoever recorded the clean guitar should answer this.

that would be me doing the

Ianlicious

that would be me doing the annoying vibrato haha. I thought it sounded alright. probably sounds better with the clean rhythm behind it.

also, I turned down the rhythm guitars so they're not so over powering.

what do you mean about 2:45? I thought it sounded good with the extra solo hashel added.

----------

Threw in the electric clean

Ianlicious

Threw in the electric clean tracks hashel and I did as placeholders in case no one steps up to play the acoustic and switched up the violin synth.

http://tindeck.com/listen/fsfp

also lowered the rhythm dist. and what nots.

----------

The other synth strings were

auriplane

The other synth strings were better.

----------

Auriplane!!

How's the timing now? The

Ianlicious

How's the timing now?

The only word I've heard to describe it is cacophonous.

----------

The tracks aren't synced at

auriplane

The tracks aren't synced at all at the very end of the song. I think it sounds better than it did earlier though, overall.

----------

Auriplane!!

Yeah, I think the problem

Ianlicious

Yeah, I think the problem with the end isn't so much sync/timing, but the lead/solo track recordings cut off very abruptly at different times but I think the actual playing is timed fairly well.

overall though, I think this has turned to be a pretty good cover considering everything!

I think once we decide on using the electric clean or if my acoustic friend comes through we'll be able to re-record those tracks so that the sounds fade out naturally.

----------

Actually, the end is very,

auriplane

Actually, the end is very, very out of sync! Hehe. I'm talking about the very end, after the distorted guitars finish.

----------

Auriplane!!

For my solos, i think you

hashel

For my solos, i think you should make the Lead lower when the solo goes. Maybe like this :
Sans titre.png

And yhea for the rhythm it's better to make 2 tracks, one left, the other right.
(i use to make 4 rhythm tracks as i don't have a powerful Rhythm tone, maybe i should put the mic closer to the low strings...)

----------

did i scared you? :D

hashel

did i scared you? :D

----------

You have a mic?

auriplane

You have a mic?

----------

Auriplane!!

(No subject)

hashel

American_Standard_Telecaster_Rosewood_Fretboard_Crimson_Red_Transparent_Z9448584_1_0.jpg

----------

Oh, the pickup. Hehe.

auriplane

Oh, the pickup. Hehe.

----------

Auriplane!!

Oh yhea... in french it's the

hashel

Oh yhea... in french it's the same word for a microphone and a pickup... :$

----------

Does Diablo 3 killed everyone

hashel

Does Diablo 3 killed everyone ?

----------

Yeah I think it killed lan.

Hakoria

Laon King

Yeah I think it killed lan. Try PMing him maybe.
What's the actual status of this now anyway? Recording-wise it was pretty much done?

And that red wine color is truly the best for any model <:

Well idk about the others, me

hashel

Well idk about the others, me i did this quick recording The Price Of Freedom

still not that happy of it... But anyway...

Yhea Red & Black are the perfect colors :D

----------

Re: Give me all your money so I

thedstring

Nate Brooks

If you call me on the phone, I'll hold my phone up to my decent mic and record you =)

Who knows, maybe the recording style will be awesome and catch on!!!

Re: Give me all your money so I

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

thedstring said

If you call me on the phone, I'll hold my phone up to my decent mic and record you =)

Who knows, maybe the recording style will be awesome and catch on!!!

i think Beck did something like that. He called himself, ended up on his dial thing and recorded a song like that. Don't remember if its him though.