You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

AxelRob

I been playing guitar for a couple of months now. I understand how to read tabs. I can play a few songs. I know the thumb plucks the first three strings while the index plucks the 3rd and middle the 2nd and the rings the 1st string. I got use to playing with my right hand and feel very comfortable playing the notes. As for my left hand I hit the notes right, although im having a lot of problems with bare chords and timing. I know the notes are played in quarter and eight notes, but I struggle getting the timing right. I am currently learning the song cloud smiles and my hand plays the notes nothing like lonlonjp does. He uses all his fingers to hit the notes. Basically I don't know what type of chords to make when reading the tabs and I was wondering how I can solve this problem. know there is a lot of great guitarist here in gametabs and was wondering if someone here could please help me. :)

Heya kid. First of all kudos

Pasto

Eat your Pasta ! ! !

Heya kid.
First of all kudos for the avatar ! ( love Squirtle ! )
Well, as all the things in life, guitar need lot of time and lots of practice.
Some person learn really fast, some others ( like me ) are slow as hell.
You will see your improvement week after week, and even if they will be small, they will still be improvement.
For the chords stuff, firts of all try to learn all chords you can, than watch the video of lonlon to see what "position of hand" he use. Watch over & over and than Try & Try & Try Again .w.
Hang on, never give up and good luck !

----------

"Pasta Is Good For You" - The Pasta Guy

Re: Im stuck

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

AxelRob said

I been playing guitar for a couple of months now. I understand how to read tabs. I can play a few songs. I know the thumb plucks the first three strings while the index plucks the 3rd and middle the 2nd and the rings the 1st string. I got use to playing with my right hand and feel very comfortable playing the notes. As for my left hand I hit the notes right, although im having a lot of problems with bare chords and timing. I know the notes are played in quarter and eight notes, but I struggle getting the timing right. I am currently learning the song cloud smiles and my hand plays the notes nothing like lonlonjp does. He uses all his fingers to hit the notes. Basically I don't know what type of chords to make when reading the tabs and I was wondering how I can solve this problem. know there is a lot of great guitarist here in gametabs and was wondering if someone here could please help me. :)

I respect your ambition, but you should know that in general, lonlon tabs are usually, if not advanced, at least intermediate in level. If you've only been playing for a couple of months, chances are you're not ready to tackle them yet. In the beginning, you should be working on proper position, rhythm, and basic chords. I know it's boring, but make cloud smiles a goal and get back to basics. Getting the fundamentals under your belt will save you a ton of grief in the long run, even if it is a little boring at first.

Re: Im stuck

yashakenkyaku

Kabukibear said

AxelRob said

I respect your ambition, but you should know that in general, lonlon tabs are usually, if not advanced, at least intermediate in level. If you've only been playing for a couple of months, chances are you're not ready to tackle them yet. In the beginning, you should be working on proper position, rhythm, and basic chords. I know it's boring, but make cloud smiles a goal and get back to basics. Getting the fundamentals under your belt will save you a ton of grief in the long run, even if it is a little boring at first.

+1
True Story. o.o I almost gave up after a couple months 'cause the first thing I wanted to learn was Little Wing. Practice the F chord; a lot. Just the 4 bottom strings when you're looking down at your fret board. And ALWAYS use a metronome to practice!!

Another hint for chord

Hakoria

Laon King

Another hint for chord positioning: look at the notes played in the same measure:

e -5---------                     5
B ---7-------                     7
G -----7-----                     7
D ---------7-  means this chord:  7
A -------5---                     5
E -5---------                     5

Assume the left side is 1 measure, and if you look at the notes that follow you can pretty much figure out what is the best hand position to switch to for the first note of a measure and what follows. Chord switches take practice when it comes to speed/cleanness.

You can also (for right hand, I didn't practice this right away though since it's harder for a beginner and I also emphasized getting used to thumb/index/middle/ring first; basically started like you when it comes to fingerstyle) use thumb for E/A, D-index, G-middle, B-ring, e-pinky. I do that now pretty much and didn't have a hard time going from your way to this way, so you can still put this for later I suppose.

stay focused

astral1

Strength is one thing that helped me break through to that zone. Where you know your playing a song well enough that it's making you better and it sounds good, that feeling?

Strengthen your wrist. Both, but especially the left one. Guitar seems so graceful and fleet but it's a constant battle of physicality deciding how to sustain and progress through the structure. It's like arm wrestling a crocodile until you get the strength. What I do personally, and other's may laugh at this but I like to just use my Capo to strengthen my wrists once everyday or so. That thing that holds the strings down? Get one. It can reduce the action on your guitar too allowing you to sustain sections you never thought would feel breezy.

I sucked, I still suck at guitar. But I realized that strength was my issue and practice man.... practice, practice.... but only play things that you absolutely love. I think Traverse Town is a great song to practice and it flows easily try that one. (Kabukibear version) <3

edit: barre chords are absolutely essential and i never did them until I realized how it fit into the fretboard. It's a bit of a practice thing, but keep an eye out for easier ways to play every part of the song. Keep your fingers down as long as you can! Barre Chords will simplify huge sections of music. But again, despite All of this I believe strength and playing what you love will serve the best to grow your ability. My enthusiasm comes from what I have gained from this website, without it I dont know that there was music enough out there that I would have continued to play guitar. Bach was getting mighty long winded...!

Thank you!

AxelRob

I know right squirtle is awesome! I would like to thank each and everyone of you for the quick reply's! I will stop learning the song and go back to the basics. I got proper position down. I do need to work on learning all my basic chords and rhythm. I will play the only song I know on guitar Roxas theme and play that with the metronome. Although im not sure what is a quarter and eight note. Not sure if the metronome is really going to help since I can't read music properly. Hakori thank you too for showing me to read or look at the tabs to position my fingers! I will keep practicing since I know it will be a lot of grinding, but im willing to sacrifice a lot of time to be able to play like all of you!

Edit I do have a capo.
Also here is my Roxas theme cover...you can tell my timing was off. I did not sit in the classical style since this song is easy to reach the notes and I had better lighting in that side. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCG7wpqUtkE&list=UUk3vDDMk9fD5UK9R2RyAlvg...

----------

[IMG]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee441/amseybanners/Signature.jpg[/IMG]

Practice with a metronome can

auriplane

Practice with a metronome can help even if you can't read music properly, don't worry!

----------

Auriplane!!

Im confused

AxelRob

I found this on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQBRM41bgDI
Do I pluck every string every time I hear the beat?
Edit
Auri just saw that Castlevania video was that you playing the lead guitar? Man that was epic!

----------

Re: Im confused

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

Quarter and 8th notes are ways of showing how long a note should last. Let's take the most common time of 4/4 time. This means that for every measure there are 4 beats, and each beat is one quarter note. It's called a quarter note because it is 1/4 of the total measure. So, playing along with that metronome, if you play one note per beat, you will be playing quarter notes at 76 beats per minute.

What if you want to play more notes? Rather than keep all the notes quarter notes and constantly changing the tempo of the song, we divide the notes into smaller notes. Taking a quarter note and dividing it in half gives you two 8th notes. So if you listen to your metronome again and play TWO notes for every beat you hear, you are now playing 8th notes at 76 bpm. They are called 8th notes because they have a duration of 1/8th of the total measure.

So what if you want to play faster still? What if you take one of those 8th notes and divide IT in half? Can you guess what it would be called? If you said a 16th note, you are right. Again, you are simply dividing the beat up into smaller and smaller pieces. So going back to your metronome, if you play one note per beat for quarter notes, two notes per beat for 8th notes, how many should you play for 16th notes, assuming we're going to do a full beat of all the same notes? The answer would be four, because you've divided those two 8th notes in half.

Again, the bpm doesn't change, you are just chopping the beats up. Pictures might help too
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/reading-music/rhythmic-notation/

Kabukibear

AxelRob

Thank you so much you advice helped me a lot and i get timing a little better now!:) Also I learned my basic chords minor and major today CAGED
See a G eat duck :p

----------

One more thing

AxelRob

I understand what you mean Kabukibear I count the number of notes in each bar. So if I have 8 notes in one bar then it would be playing 8ths every 4 beats and if I have 16 I be playing 4 notes every beat...i think. Also im putting my cloud smiles song down and putting it on hold. Could someone recommend me a easy chord and 4 beat song? fingerstyle so I can get better practice. I tried Kabukibear song Traverse town, but I need an easier one to get the chords down before I tackle any song like that. Also it look great though I bet it sounds awesome too!

----------

Some Tabs

Speedfreak

Here are some good places to start, some simple lessons and stuff that should help you get comfortable!

Fingerstyle 101
http://www.guitaralliance.com/fingerstyle101/samples/pima.htm

More Fingerstyle
http://www.i-love-guitar.com/fingerstyle-guitar.html

Good Practice
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/finger-style_wo...

Metronome

AxelRob

I am in need of help with timing this is what I know so far
This is all I know about timing a Half note is 2 beats of whole beat in that bar, quarter note is 1 beat of a whole note, Eight note last half of A beat, and sixteenth note last 1/4 of a beat. Often in tabs it is labeled H,Q,E,S. In order to determine the beats per minute or the metronome you count how many notes are in each bar and you multiply the bars times the notes. The problem I have is playing along with the metronome I don't know where to start I can't seem to get it together even at the lowest metronome I have difficulties how do I overcome this challenge?

----------

Im kind confused at your

karathrow

Im kind confused at your exact problem but have you tried counting in to playing?

Like get used to the metronome, try tapping your foot each click or whatnot. Then count the clicks 4,3,2 ,1 and then the click after 1 make it the first note of the song or whatever.

Or is the song just too fast for you? If the song is too fast you can try playing it a slower tempo. If you have guitar pro you can use the built in metronome and countin as well as lower the tempo of the song so you can play at a speed you are more comfortable with.

I struggle with timing and Im fairly new to the metronome myself so sorry if this isn't terribly helpful.

Re: Metronome

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

"In order to determine the beats per minute or the metronome you count how many notes are in each bar and you multiply the bars times the notes."

No, not at all. To determine the beats per minute you literally count the number of BEATS per MINUTE of playing time. The same piece can be either 64bpm or 190bpm. It's all dependent on the number of BEATS that fall within the time frame of one minute.

Listen to this and time it for one minute: http://www.gametabs.net/files/stalecupcakes.mp3
What is the bpm?

You need to be able to feel

auriplane

You need to be able to feel the beat. Put your instrument down, and tap your toe to the beat. Can you do that?

----------

Auriplane!!

Be the leaf.

karathrow

^Be the leaf.
tumblr_m1fcwxmM371r5jtugo1_250.gif

@Kabukibear I counted 64BPM

AxelRob

@Kabukibear I counted 64BPM not sure if I counted right, but I tried to count in a steady phase and thank you for clarifying that part for me Kabuki you really are a great help and your covers are just amazing! I was taking a look at you cover Traverse town and that I simply had trouble playing. Still receiving help from all of you is awesome!
@Karathrow I know it's really difficult I tried to stick with the metronome, but I have no idea how long to hold the note by the time I know it the beat has already came and past in the metronome XD
@Auriplane I do movements to try to keep some type of rhythm, but it seems like it's only kind of helping, but not really since I lost beat when the song notes vary from Quarter note to half notes.

----------

dont give up!

astral1

dont give up!

use the boost to get through

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

use the boost to get through

Re: @Kabukibear I counted 64BPM

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

No. http://www.gametabs.net/files/stalecupcakes.zip
Open it up in guitarpro and turn on the metronome. Each click is one beat. Try again.

Re: Be the leaf.

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

karathrow said

^Be the leaf.
tumblr_m1fcwxmM371r5jtugo1_250.gif

Kara I saw this and thought of you!
http://youtu.be/mlF18VoerCE

lol wow that music is

karathrow

lol wow that music is intense!