You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Guitar Story: What's yours?

TomorrowsSeeker

I started playing Guitar June 8, 2010 I was 13 back then as my Family moved to South Korea. I have nothing to do a whole month before my Mother bought me a 300$ Classical Guitar with a pack of Strings, A guitar Bag,and a Tuner. I started Practicing the next day by myself I downloaded and printed a Tab copy of every 72 Chords and followed the instructions and Strummed. It was horrible at first, then when I tried the second time, a little more better, then strummed some more and voila. I have been practicing one hour every 6 days. After a few months August came and I have been enrolled to a Korean guy that plays very Awesome for
30$ a month. In our first lesson he brought out a classic Guitar and said "Ever heard of fingerstyle?" I shook my head as he twitched his fingers maybe for warmup them played Romance perfectly. I was like: "Coooool! Teach me teach me teach meeee."
In a few days I have become one of the best fingerstylers in the class. After a while in January 10 2011 I spotted GameTabs (I am also a proffessional Gamer owning 3 DSes and a gameboy) I was like:"Cool, Ill join!" And I am Jamming ever since.
Im still building guts to make a recording soon.

Whats your Guitar Story?
Feel free to Post your stories and comments below!
I hope you all Famous GameTabbers share your exellence in your
guitar life!

Peace on Earth,
TomorrrowsSeeker

EDIT: PLEASE PUT THE NAME OF YOUR VOTE ON YOUR REPLY SUBJECT

I started when I was 15, my

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I started when I was 15, my parents noticed i'd been dicking around with their acoustic (it was a conn... man that thing was awful.) so they bought me a shitty 100$ squire for my birthday! They thought I was going to shred and play all the electric licks. They were horribly wrong. I never bothered playing with a pick, and I had just been learning 4 chords song (which sounded turbo bad on an unplugged piece of shit squire).
I also remember the FIRST TIME I went on gametabs! I had no idea what fingerstyle was, but I was looking for this song!~

I found ronitos tab for it and was like, holy shit, is there really a whole site dedicated to video game music?
It was because of everyones awesome arrangements that I actually stuck with playing guitar, since I had picked it up then dropped it so many times before. I can even name like, the first 5 tabs I ever learned
1.Chocobo's Forest (the first half)
2. Lazy Afternoons (archards version)
3. Melodies of Life (thedoomofallfires)
4. Breezy (obligitory babby's first fingerpicking song)
5. Blinded by light (lonlon version)

Cheers gametabs.

I found lonlonjptabs.net, and

Bhael

I found lonlonjptabs.net, and everything changed.

Re: I found lonlonjptabs.net, and

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

HEY BHAEL I FOUND THIS GIF OF YOU

juja would not be amused

Jacob31593

juja would not be amused

I wanted to impress all the

ChelseaRare

I wanted to impress all the chicks in high school. . . wait, what?

----------

(.?!)

Re: I wanted to impress all the

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ChelseaRare said

On a related note, the first song I ever wrote was a beautiful waltz called "I only play guitar to get laid."

I started playing April 2,

yashakenkyaku

I started playing April 2, 2009. I had just finished with high school in November of the year previous and had nothing to do all day. My parents asked if I wanted anything for my birthday that year and I said 'guitar' on a spur of the moment. My eldest brother taught me G, D, and C when I started out (and since it never occurred to me that I could play something different, all I knew for first month was Knockin' on Heaven's Door. >.< ) Gradually, I learned the rest of the open chords and started teaching myself with a couple tablature books I acquired. I came across this site during one of my bouts of insomnia and just kept coming back. ^_^

ChelseaRare

Lemoncobbler said

ChelseaRare said

On a related note, the first song I ever wrote was a beautiful waltz called "I only play guitar to get laid."

My first "song" if you wanna call it that was called "Tumbleweed Dildo." It was joke story about my best friend who I nicknamed that because I thought it was funny and it annoyed the shit out of her =3

----------

(.?!)

Re: I found lonlonjptabs.net, and

Bhael

Lemoncobbler said

HEY BHAEL I FOUND THIS GIF OF YOU

It's the only way to make sure.

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ChelseaRare said

"Tumbleweed Dildo."

HUEHEUHEUHEUEHUEHUEUHE

I wish my first song titles

auriplane

I wish my first song titles were that cool. I started writing music when I was little, and the song titles were all gibberish I made up.

----------

Auriplane!!

->Lemon: /gif/ addict?

Hakoria

Laon King

(not implying I didn't lol ofc)

And dw auri, I didn't even name my first songs ;A;

Re: ->Lemon: /gif/ addict?

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hakoria said

YOU CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING, both of those gifs were totally called for and you know it.

Wanted something more

karathrow

Wanted something more rewarding to do with my time. I'd had a shit cheap guitar for ages and I never really figured it out. I sat down one day and decided to start learning stuff.

Found some terribad monkey island tab (dont think its on this site) and started with that.

My little brother was taking

Choogly

My little brother was taking lessons, and my mom asked me if I wanted to try it out when I was 14-15. To be honest, I felt a bit puzzled by how my little brother wasn't progressing/practicing (no offense to him, of course). To me, it seemed like an opportunity to do something worthwhile - why not get good?

So I started taking lessons and I can say that I was always glad to be taking lessons, though of course on an occasional rainy day I might feel bored or something. I was always driven to improve and get better. I guess the reason it was easy for me to enjoy it and persevere is that it never felt like practice or work, it was a fun test of memory and dexterity, much like a video game (One of my favorite activities at the time. Still is). More than that, it was constantly rewarding because I made sure to set reasonable goals. I started with simple melodies from Sabbath and the like and progressed from there.

I know I'm probably making it sound like I wads driven only by the need to be good or skilled. There was more to it than that, but I feel like I only started understanding how much I loved it/playing music until I'd been playing for 3 years. My teacher was great, we got along really well and he lent me his nice classical to borrow indefinitely and play on. I got summer jobs to pay for my electric guitar/amp.

Anyways, it was senior year (I think. Maybe junior year) of highschool and I was telling him how I was going to have to start saving for a classical guitar (for college) but that I didn't know how I was going to make enough money for a good one. Then he said to me "Oh I'm not letting you go to college without a guitar. It's yours. It doesn't want me anymore. You've worked hard, and you deserve it." Gah, I'm almost tearing up just typing that. Even so, at the time I felt like in the back of my mind I knew this would happen, just because of how my teacher was as a person.

Edit: Guitar hero 2 probably had a role in it too. I loved that game haha

Guitar hero

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

Guitar hero

Re: Guitar hero

Ranulf

I will not join your gametabs.

surreal said

Guitar hero

And peer pressure...The best guitar story in all the lands... :|

GuitarHero?

TomorrowsSeeker

Serously? Guitar here?! AWSOME!!!

Hah! I Used Guitar hero for wii!

----------

Doesn't Matter what's tomorrow, but let it matter for itself.

Start,Train,Re-hearse,Perform.

I too began to play guitar

fatalfable

I too began to play guitar after playing guitar hero #2 for many months

----------

Visual snow makes you want to go boom.
""jajajaja?" are you trying to make yourself sound like a fatass?"

I bet Wayfaerer's story is: I

auriplane

I bet Wayfaerer's story is:

I two began to play guitar after playing guitar here for many moths

Two? What? Wayfaerer, you're not making any sense!

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: I bet Wayfaerer's story is:I

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

auriplane said

I bet Wayfaerer's story is:

I two began to play guitar after playing guitar here for many moths

Two? What? Wayfaerer, you're not making any sense!

i only play guitar for my moths on tuesdays.

what doesnt make any sense is, where the hell did my quad post go?

edit: or was that a different thread... i dont even remember what i posted here orginally... where the hell did it go?

this moth got snailiad

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

I think it was in 2002 or

Lord Kamina

I will not fear; fear is the mind killer.

I think it was in 2002 or 2003, probably; I was in highschool and had to choose between music and art, I wasn't really much good at any but greatly preferred music. I had to learn an instrument; at first they wanted to force me to learn to play the recorder flute (because that's what 99.5% of people in school played) and I said hey, I hate that thing, can I bring another instrument?

And then I got my dad to get me a guitar; back then, he was alive and well. He got me a pretty cheap laminated classical guitar but back then we both though it sounded pretty cool considering how much it'd cost (around $60.)

Then I began trying to play some really simple tabs (The first I got I remember was Eyes on Me, but it was a really simple version) and then I got a teacher and I played until around 2004 or 2005, I think.

After that I got bored for some reason (I was kind of frustrated because I sucked at some techniques) and the guitar went into our cellar/warehouse room where I never saw it much until a few years ago, my father had joined a small choir (he always LOVED to sing, when he got sick he wasn't that good but still had an impressive voice and when he was young he actually really good) and began taking the guitar to lend to somebody else who knew how to play it.

And then, flash to the beginning of 2011, roughly a year after he died, I saw the guitar lying around and just thought "Well, what the heck..." and took it out of the bag for the first time in years. Had a really hard time tuning it, the strings were pretty old but I kind of just began doing a few exercises and seeing if I could remember any songs (and I did, a little bit)

Eventually I went to my local music shop and bought new strings and new tuning pegs; set them up and it certainly improved but I decided that wasn't going to cut it anymore. I wanted a good guitar; so I began saving a bit (my mother was without a job and we were really going by a pretty rough time economically) and then I went into my closet and saw six or seven pretty expensive Gundam (et al) models I'd bought years ago and never had the time to put together. So, I decided to sell those. I got around $200 for the lot. Then, I did some more work and got around $200 more and with that it was pretty much enough. I began going out and window-shopping, I saw piles and heaps of Ibanez guitars; I took note of the model and price for each... then I began doing some online research and learned about the problems with Ibanez and began looking for other brands (but the offer in my country was pretty abysmal)

Eventually I found a store that carried Walden Guitars, I'd never heard of the brand and began doing some research. Mostly, they looked good, a few clips I heard sounded good and I found some pretty good reviews... plus, Fishman Electronics! I eventually was dead-set on getting a N550CE and I went through all of Santiago from store to store until I finally got it (at first some stores had it but I got pissed at the fact they wouldn't give me even a 3% discount when paying around $500 in cash, considering in here that's considerably more than what a lot of people make in a month), other stores had some "newer" versions of the guitar with B-Band pre-amps which were not as good, eventually I went about 50 km into the outskirts of Santiago and managed to find it.

So far, I'm extremely happy with it- I think I got a pretty good deal and am still surprised by how underrated these guitars are!

So... Old Guitar: http://nacho.fail.cl/guitar.jpg

And, NEW GUITAR: http://nacho.fail.cl/walden.JPG

----------

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)

Started learning guitar

musenji

Started learning guitar freshman year of highschool. Like most people, I started with chords and moved into fingerpicking.

First fingerpicking song: More than a Feeling-- Boston
First bar chord song: Proud Mary-- CCR
First guitar: a cheapie classical that nonetheless had a thinner neck and excellent action, which really made it ideal for learning.

I started writing music after getting into fingerpicking. Summer after sophomore year, I wrote my first real song. I think it still stands up over time, and it certainly reveals a lot about my personality back then.

I unfortunately never used guitar to "get girls" as the cliche goes. I wouldn't have had the social knowledge of how to do so. I just liked playing.

Second guitar: Aria Pro II Les Paul Model

Junior year, I learned the only real tough guitar solo I ever really learned, the solo from Sweet Child of Mine. I spent an insane amount of time on that solo, but never worked on general technique. It was not a healthy approach, in retrospect!

Senior year, I learned Bron-yr-Aur by Jimmy Page, the toughest "fingerpicking" song I'd learned to that point.

It wasn't until college that I actually got into classical. My first semester, I started lessons. When it came time to finally upgrade my classical guitar, I actually drove to two other states in search of a good one...and ended up buying one about 30 miles from my house.

Third guitar: Alvarez Yairi CY-140

I continued lessons as long as I was in school. Left school, and actually set the guitar aside because of hand concerns. Eventually I phased it back in from time to time.

I got into tabbing game music, pretty much on my own. I had started my own site for RPG tabs, right around the time Archard was creating this site, or I think a year before. But I only hosted my own tabs, because in light of the sites that were up at the time, I wanted to be sure all the tabs were correct!

Anyway, more off and on. In 2010 I discovered Gametabs, and joined, and have made some tabs, learned some tabs, and gotten much better on guitar.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Guitars looked and sounded

Guitars looked and sounded cool. And still do.

My sister always wanted to

Rook

My sister always wanted to play the guitar, so I got a guitar, learned to play and tried to teach her.
She didn't have the patience, but it worked out well for me