You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Segovia and timbre

musenji

Basically reputed as the man who "single-handedly" brought classical guitar to the concert stage. Though he didn't do it all alone, he was a huge factor in validating the instrument as being worthy of presentation, and getting more composers to write music for the guitar.

Here is a video of him talking about tone/timbre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrEl4Nsmsg

Ah Segovia, just brilliant.

Jman_nunez

><> ><> ><>

Ah Segovia, just brilliant.

----------

Free userbars

Hah, we watched just that

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Hah, we watched just that very part of the interview at university last semester. All accomplishments aside, though, Segovia was kind of a douche. :|

Do you know which interview

musenji

Do you know which interview it was from? I noticed that nobody responded to the person who asked that on YT.

I assume the "douche" comment refers to his tendency (inflated by others) to consider himself the one sole authority on all things classical guitar. Yeah, that's not a great quality. Though I think he was probably a fine guy in other respects.

From what I've seen, I do like the personalities of Bream and Williams better (and their playing! Though TBH I actually haven't heard Segovia in his prime.)

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Not sure about the source of

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Not sure about the source of that interview. All I know is that it's only a very very short part of the whole interview.
Many composers first started to compose for guitar because and for Andres Segovia. Unfortunately Segovia was rather picky about what he would play so he accepted only few composers' first works. Needless to say that a composer whose pieces Segovia refused to play never composed for guitar again. Segovia also made numerous alterations to the pieces dedicated to him or forced the composer to retrospectively add solo parts for him to shine.

Re: Not sure about the source of

musenji

TrangOul said

Unfortunately Segovia was rather picky about what he would play so he accepted only few composers' first works.

Well, I don't like Schoenberg either. :D Maybe I should look further into just how picky he was, but for the most part, I'm not a fan of 20th century-specific (read: atonal, 12-note, all that stuff that doesn't really sound like music) music.

Segovia also made numerous alterations to the pieces dedicated to him or forced the composer to retrospectively add solo parts for him to shine.

Well, he can't force anyone to do anything, but he can refuse to play it otherwise! I wonder if it was because of narcissism, or because he wanted to further the instrument's progress in society. (It would be really easy to say "probably both", but no more accurate than to say "probably the first" or "probably the second". :D)

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.