You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Fingerstyle challenge of the week #4 (COMPLETED)

musenji

*****Since all the entries were on this page, and my first post was really long, I just posted the result at the bottom of this page without embedding the videos again.*****

------------------------------------------------
This week's challenge will emphasize: pull-offs! But nothing bad in terms of stretches.

I've chosen an excerpt from Matteo Carcassi's study number 4. It is rather short, so I hope that more people can enter!

In the vein of SJ's motto, if you master this, you'll get a lot better in the process.

------------------------------------------------

I'll judge by the becoming-canon "four standards":

-Accuracy
-Consistency
-Fluidity
-Musicality

Note that I will weigh heavily toward judging "slower but completely solid" over "at-tempo and pretty good". Pieces should be played perfect slowly before trying to play them quickly! (That is also a tip on how to practice cause damn, you gotta get those leaps slowly first, trust me.)

Tab:

Op 60, Study No 4 in D - Matteo Carcassi (1792-1853)
from 25 Studi Melodici e Progressivi

tabbed by Weed - [email protected] - 1 February 2011

found at classtab.org

e||------5-7p5---7p5---7p5---|-----2-3p2---3p2---3p2---|-----3-5p3---5p3---5p3---|
B||----7-------7-----7-----7-|---3-------3-----3-----3-|---5-------5-----5-----5-|
G||--------------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|
D||--0-----------------------|-0-----------------------|-------------------------|
A||--------------------------|-------------------------|-0-----------------------|
E||--------------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|

e|-----0-2p0---2p0---2p0---|-----2-3p2-------4-5p4---|-----5-7p5-------7-9p7---|
B|---2-------2-----2-----2-|---3-------3---3-------3-|-------------------------|
G|-------------------------|-------------------------|---6-------6---7-------7-|
D|-------------------------|-0-----------------------|-------------0-----------|
A|-0-----------------------|-------------------------|-0-----------------------|
E|-------------------------|-------------0-----------|-------------------------|

e|-----0-2p0-------4-5p4---|---12p9----0--------------||
B|---2-------2---3-------3-|--------10---2------------||
G|-------------------------|---------------2----------||
D|-2-----------------------|--------------------------||
A|-------------------------|-0------------------------||
E|-------------0-----------|--------------------------||

Example video (from 0:00 to 0:16):

Lawlies, haven't played

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Lawlies, haven't played Carcassi in a while. :D

To this day I still don't

zen03y

CATFOOD

To this day I still don't understand the meaning of the last 3 standards :X Such big words

It means "give me an eargasm

Ennea

humhum..

It means "give me an eargasm and the stage is yours!"

Here's my interpretation--if

musenji

Here's my interpretation, zen03y--if anyone has thoughts, love to hear them!

Accuracy:

-getting all the notes and rhythms correct
-not having additional notes, or notes missing

Consistency:

-notes are played evenly unless marked otherwise
-steady tempo, aside from intentional variations

Fluidity:

-not sounding "choppy"
-smooth position switches: no hesitations, no chopping off of notes

Musicality:

-not sounding like a robot
-evoking emotion/feeling
-possibly dynamic, tonal, and/or tempo contrast

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

la

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

la

Whoa, nice tone.

Bhael

Whoa, nice tone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-

surreal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-Band-Microphone-Wii-Xbox-360-PS3-/300541458...

A few easy steps, 10 dollars, and you too will have the tone of angels.

Hehe, I was referring to your

Bhael

Hehe, I was referring to your fingerpicking. Though how you managed to capture it using a cheap mic is beyond me..

My entry

fatalfable

My entry

----------

Visual snow makes you want to go boom.
""jajajaja?" are you trying to make yourself sound like a fatass?"

Entries! Clanver, Ennea,

musenji

Entries! Clanver, Ennea, Trang, Bhael, karathrow, what say you?

WHAT SAY YOU?

(hey if any of you even submitted just the first measure I'd be happy)

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Re: Entries! Clanver, Ennea,

fatalfable

musenji said

Entries! Clanver, Ennea, Trang, Bhael, karathrow, what say you?

WHAT SAY YOU?

(hey if any of you even submitted just the first measure I'd be happy)

Come on guyss!

----------

Also PS I know that people

musenji

Also PS I know that people tend toward submitting on the last day, but the total lack of discussion of the piece itself made me think there was less interest?

Or maybe the fingerings are intuitive enough that it doesn't require discussion. :p Personally I think the way I do the right hand fingerings might be odd. The left hand, though, I do pretty much like the guy in the video.

Btw, don't take that guy as a musical example. He's fast and clean technically, but every recording I've seen of his is also pretty robotic and lifeless!

----------

ahh, my bad, i didnt get to

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

ahh, my bad, i didnt get to practice, and i have only today actually :/, so i kinda dont think i will be able to record this time.

edit: ive actually seen the song just now, and i might do an entry, since its not as difficult this time, so some hours should be enough~

Do you usually learn the

musenji

Do you usually learn the pieces before watching the examples? :p

----------

nah ive seen this thread on

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

nah ive seen this thread on monday at work i think, got a glimpse at the tabs, but nothing more, and i was kinda hasty in posting here^^ . .didnt even try to play or see any videos :x

Sorry man, my A-string

Ennea

humhum..

Sorry man, my A-string snapped yesterday and I have no replacement right now :P

aww. well the first measure

musenji

aww. well the first measure wouldn't require it!

Clan: what's your occupation? Just curious. I'm a janitor, so probably no risk of looking bad.

----------

actually im a university

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

actually im a university Student just months ago from my bachelor, but since 2 months ago, im working at a local web-programming firm and will do so the next 3 months, for 9 hours a day ~.~, writing a program~

edit: btw dont mind me, actually am to pressed right now to record something~ sry :/

Just in time~Video is

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Just in time~

oh man i think you won this

fatalfable

oh man i think you won this one. The quality is much better

----------

Very nice, Trang. Daddy

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

Very nice, Trang.

Daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

Ok I did one fortehlulz. But

Ennea

humhum..

Ok I did one fortehlulz. But somehow I'm incapable of placing the camera right.

Improvised last-minute fingerings for leaving out the A-string, sloppiness ahead~

Re: Hehe, I was referring to your

auriplane

Bhael said

Hehe, I was referring to your fingerpicking. Though how you managed to capture it using a cheap mic is beyond me..

The playing is much more important than the mic, tone-wise.

----------

Auriplane!!

Bhael

Exactly. Are you agreeing with me? That's what I was saying to surreal hehe. I was just suprised to notice his good tone through the cheap mic he used; I wouldn't have expected it to do his sound justice.

Btw really nice entries guys. I'll try and participate next week, now I've sorted my life out.

Oh man, we got a live one

surreal

Oh man, we got a live one here who actually sorted his life out.

Ennea

humhum..

Bhael said

now I've sorted my life out.

buhhhh!

Hey Clanver, you gonna post

musenji

Hey Clanver, you gonna post or should I go ahead? I guess it's 1:30 AM in Germany so maybe I should just go ahead...

[edit]

Okay here are the results. I would do the whole embed thing, but everything is already on this page, so just scroll up, I'll review in order of the entries submitted.

SURREAL: Solid performance, I did feel a slight tempo variance, it felt slightly "rushed" at spots but that's probably partly my personal taste because I play it even slower than the example video. I didn't notice it at first but there is a missed/wrong note at :08, I think you hit open G instead of the 3rd fret D on the B string. Still, speed demon!

FATALFABLE: Very nice! All the correct notes are there, but I'd say it needs a bit more "cleanup" in terms of the position switches and such sounding totally clean. There's a bit of "drag-slur", I don't know what to call it, where when switching positions, one or more of the fingers stays pressed while switching, creating a slurring effect. And there is one note that buzzes.

TRANGOUL: This performance is pretty pristine. The position switch bass notes from :08 to :11 are utterly clean, with no "drag-slur". There's an incorrect note at 12--an F# instead of the D, at fret 7. It's sounded out clearly...but it doesn't grate, because it fits musically. Did you actually intend it? I did catch an unintentional sounding of the G string at the very end, but it's very very subtle, and the overall performance is very fluid, consistent, and musical sounding.

ENNEA: good lord. Major, major props for entering without an A string. I actually thought of suggesting that but I didn't want to sound demanding. Out of the four performances, this isn't the best music wise obviously, but, duh, you were playing a fingering that was much more difficult. You saw a problem, could've just given up, but figured out a solution.

Fatal was the only one to actually play ALL the correct notes, but they weren't hit cleanly. A little more practice at a slow tempo to clean it up, and ya might've taken it!

Ennea came up with an awesome solution to a pretty crappy problem. I'm going to try to learn this way of playing it, cause I'm pretty inspired. If you'd come up with this even a day ago and practiced it more to get it down pat, I'd have probably given it to you for innovation! (It's not one of the four categories, but hell, it's what a lot of learning and arranging guitar music is really about.)

Still, the two best performances overall were Surreal and Trang. They both had an incorrect note... While I'd love to give it to someone who hasn't won yet, I think that Trang's sounded more consistent and musical. So Trang is the winner!

Epilogue:

I encourage you all to learn the rest of the piece! It's a good piece.

----------

Thanks a whole lot for

fatalfable

Thanks a whole lot for pointing out that drag slur thing musenji. Now I can prevent myself from doing that. I probably do that more often than I think I do. That buzzing note. Is it at 0:9?

----------

auriplane

No, I'm saying you'll hear good tone even through a crappy mic if you've got good tone, and you'll hear crappy tone even through a good mic if you've got crappy tone.

IOW you shouldn't be surprised! The mic is much less important than the player! :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

No problem! I have done the

musenji

No problem fatal! I have done the same thing a ton. It's actually a problem I've had specifically with this piece, because as everyone probably learned, this piece has a lot of "finger leads" where you can keep the left hand finger on the same string while shifting position to the next chord.

It's a great tool for staying secure during quick switches--the problem comes when the finger isn't lifted enough to mute the sound of the string. It feels more secure to hold the finger down--and it is more secure--but the sound is obviously unwanted in most cases. (it can be intentional sometimes of course). So it's about finding the middle ground between having too much pressure (sounding the drag) and not having enough (losing the security).

In addition, on the bottom three strings, that's how the rough metallic "squeak" sound happens, and if you want to totally eliminate THAT, you have to not even touch the string! Right now that's one of my weakest areas.

And yep, the G on the E string at :09.

----------

Thanks again for pointing

fatalfable

Thanks again for pointing this stuff out. Although, now I'm overly aware of the issues and cannot enjoy playing lol

----------

hahahaha yeah sorry, I was

musenji

hahahaha yeah sorry, I was trying to be solidarity dude as well. Thinking about technical issues does make playing less fun. But then you become even more bad-ass!

----------

Re: Oh man, we got a live one

Bhael

surreal said

Oh man, we got a live one here who actually sorted his life out.

Hahaha! It had to happen sometime.

Auri I can swear you're being pedantic XD. It's a fact that some mics pick up certain frequencies better than others, and a good classical guitar tone is usally quite warm sounding. Have you never heard guitar play over skype? Through a gamer mic? It sounds tinny, and sure as hell doesn't produce the original tone. I guess it's possible to 'guess' what the players tone will sound like, but only the best mics reproduce it perfectly. And as for the 'mic is less important than the player', that's highly ambigious and subjective. The majority of people prefer a guitarist to have meh tone (LONLONJP!) and great quality than good tone and 'okay' quality. At least, that's my experience :).

Nice job Trang. I was also uncertain whether you or surreal would win.

Aww, I kinda expected you to

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Aww, I kinda expected you to give the victory to surreal, he certainly would have deserved it, too for his speediness.
Anyway, I'll get started on the new challenge right away.

PS: That F# was not intended (in fact I wasn't even aware of it)