You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Fingerstyle Challenge of the Week #2 (NOW WITH RESULTS!)

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Alright folks, our next challenge is... *drumroll*
Mabe Village by Stamen47 minus the first two measures. I want you to play measures 3-11 so to speak.

I'll judge using Bhael's criteria from last week, with one change:
-Accuracy
-Consistency
-Fluidity
-Musicality
-If you can't handle the original tempo, take it slow. A slightly slower but accurate, consistent, fluid and musical entry is better than a fast but sloppy one!

I also don't care if you move single notes to another string as long as the result pleases my ears.

Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ennea's entry:

Overall impression is positive: You more or less keep the tempo and there are no major messups that affect the music's flow. I just wish your rendition was a little more dynamic but that's about it.
You're playing it slightly slower than the original (around 84bpm instead of 98bpm), but that's fine, in fact I encouraged you to play slowly rather than sloppy. From the bit I can see in your video (it's really dark *.*) I noticed that your right hand moves alot. Try to keep your hand in place and move your fingers instead. Though you are not out of the woods, yet. Try to move your first finger joints rather than the tips, imagine that you're grabbing something. That's the kind of motion we're looking for. Let's move on to the details:
In measure #4 you lose the tempo for a moment but manage to get back into it, I also noticed your slide from C to D at the end of the same measure (intended?).
The C in measure #8 is barely audible, though I'm quite sure it actually is there, just very very faint.

musenji's entry:

Such a clean performance! My recording has so much more fret buzz and flubbed notes than yours. Sadly the transitions from measures 3 -> 4 and 4 -> 5 disrupt the flow abit and blight your overall performance. You also do a great job letting all the notes ring, though the original is actually kinda staccatoish. :P
You're playing even slower than Ennea (approximately 69bpm). Now this is rather funny, in Ennea's video I only aw his rigt hand, here I see your left hand. Speaking of your left hand: I see your fingers performing alot of unnecessary movements (watch 0:13!) that cost you time and energy. I'm also no fan of the way you play the last measure, lifting that barré to play an open A doesn't quite cut it in my opinion.

Bhael's entry:

What do our scouts say about Bhael's bpm level?
IT'S OVER 110!!!!!!
And you keep getting faster, relax! :D
Anyway, fret buzzes aside; Your technique is quite astounding. It's a real treat to watch your right hand, especially that thumb; very smooth and economic movements right there. Good job!
What I didn't like are the slides you do between measures 1 -> 2 and 2 -> 3. Try to avoid those, they really don't fit there.

Clanver's entry:

Why so modest? That wasn't bad at all!
You play it at roughly 80bpm (though you start a little faster that that). Your performance is pretty clean, too: There's just one real fret buzz at 0:13 and some random fret noise here and there which is probably only that present because of your your recording technique.
One thing you should pay attention to are the 16th notes, you really tend to rush those thus disrupting the flow. Bummer! Use a metronome to get those right or chant random syllables while practicing. (Interesting piece of trivia: My teacher really likes to say "tic-i-tac-a-tic-i-tac-a" while playing to illustrate the fastest notes in a piece.)

AND THE WINNER IS.... (mark to read)
... Ennea
I feel a little sorry for Bhael because he gave it away by playing too fast. You probably could have played this really comfortably and steadily with much less fret buzz and without those slides at say 90bpm. Of all the participants Ennea was closest to the original tempo, kept it and never lost the music's flow. Congratulations, it's your turn to host the next challenge.

Lol! What's up the first to

Ennea

humhum..

Lol! What's up the first to comments on this one Oo

Nevertheless good choice, I enjoy playing this :>

you people should do the tune

Jacob31593

you people should do the tune contests instead :U

Ah yeah good choice. I've

Bhael

Ah yeah good choice. I've never played this tab, so this should be fun. I don't like the thought of people shortcutting the 5-10 stretch at the end though.

Re: Ah yeah good choice. I've

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Bhael said

I don't like the thought of people shortcutting the 5-10 stretch at the end though.

Doing so would be a bad idea voice leading wise. So I don't see a problem there.

Ahh Stamen47, still remember

Hakoria

Laon King

Ahh Stamen47, still remember learning his Via Purifico arrange <:

Re: Ah yeah good choice. I've

Bhael

Are you agreeing with me, or saying there's no problem with using an open A instead? :P Well I think it's a nice challenging part of the tab, so I'd be dissapointed if people used an open A instead.

Playing an open A wouldn't

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Playing an open A wouldn't sound as good as E5, so I highly suggest everyone to stick to the tab for that matter. However, I will not disqualify anyone for playing an open A, though, I might lower their musicality rating if that open string compromises the sound.

IMO measure 5 is the real

Ennea

humhum..

IMO measure 5 is the real issue here :P Switched the A6 to D1 since my hand are as big as a yeti's.
The 5-10 stretch is rather... enjoyable lol

Re: IMO measure 5 is the real

karathrow

Ennea said

IMO measure 5 is the real issue here :P Switched the A6 to D1 since my hand are as big as a yeti's.
The 5-10 stretch is rather... enjoyable lol

I just barre the 3rd fret for this measure, as for the fingerings for the rest of it, it's probably obvious but I'll put it down anyway.

2  3  4  3     4  3  4 
--------5--------3--5--3--|
-----3--------------------|
--4-----------------------|
--------------------------|
-----5-----5-----6-----6--|
--3-----3-----3-----3-----|

Despite the fact that I love

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

Despite the fact that I love Stamen's tabs, I don't think I've ever even seen this. I guess that raising awareness is another good thing about these contests!

Ennea

humhum..

Yeah, but I like to let them ring as much as possible ! Tried it with barring the first playthrough, no me gusta :P

Bhael

Yeah I just keep a bar chord for the duration of that measure.

You can let them ring if you

auriplane

You can let them ring if you barre :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

I can't - or rather it does

Ennea

humhum..

I can't - or rather it does feels uncomfortable to me :/ Well, we will see the difference in 5 days :d

Oh man I'm having a lot of

karathrow

Oh man I'm having a lot of buzzing problems on this one aragggggh

best is, im really motivated

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

best is, im really motivated to practice even after work =O, last week, this week, nice <3

My wrist is killing me

karathrow

My wrist is killing me arghhh.

I feel like I have the song down, I just need to speed it up a bit.

The third measure (of the part we're playing, not the tab) is a bitch to keep up to speed.

Crap, I really need to get a

musenji

Crap, I really need to get a move on. the previous tab seemed a lot more intuitive, albeit really really hard. With this one I'm hopping all over the place with my left hand.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

I've made about ten attempts

karathrow

I've made about ten attempts at recording and they were all horrible.

I'm not sure I will be posting one this week either, but I am practicing it a lot.

Please post something, even

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Please post something, even if it's just half the song or so. Just don't practice it all week and then chicken out about posting an entry.
Btw, should I post my version or should I keep it to myself for now?

Re: Please post something, even

Bhael

You can post it for fun, but it's not allowed to compete. The only reason I put mine on the scorebored last time was to point out it's flaws :). This way other people can stand a chance of winning without being offput by the thread owners submission (since the host of the competition will always be the one who won last time). Great power- great responsibility ;D.

Of course I wouldn't compete

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Of course I wouldn't compete with my video.
I was just wondering whether people would consider me posting a video demotivating or helpful in regard of fingerings etc.

Re: Of course I wouldn't compete

Bhael

Well as I said it could be demotivational. But you have a point with the fingering tips as well. I personally would think it best if you didn't post it, as your level of playing would, if not demotivate, certainly detract from the competition between us lot. After all, the person who wins should be the person with the best overall entry. It would be pretty shitty if the winner's entry pale's in comparison to your own. I know this makes me sound like a bit of a douche, having posted mine last time, but I hadn't really decided upon this then and my entry wasn't that great anyway :P.

"It would be pretty shitty if

Ennea

humhum..

"It would be pretty shitty if the winner's entry pale's in comparison to your own."

^ this

My thumbnail broke :( Shitty sound ahead!

For different fingerings, I play it like this

That's quite different from

TrangOul

Insomaniac

That's quite different from the way I play it. Looking forward to your entry. :)

Re: "It would be pretty shitty if

Bhael

Ennea said

For different fingerings, I play it like this

Whaaaa-

i didnt practice at all ~

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

i didnt practice at all ~ cause i just dont have the time right now :/, so im planning to go all out on the weekend~

but there will be an entry from me at least =)

Re: "It would be pretty shitty if

Ennea

humhum..

"Whaaaa-"

YES EXACTLY!!

post your fingerings trang :) I'm curious

Just came back from book store, wanted to buy a book about learning to arrange and shit, checked my bank account how much I could spend and WOOT, my university took 700€ from me xD
and now I'm in negative numbers xD totally forgot that lol

Looking forward to it

Bhael

Looking forward to it Clan.

Ennea I find the fingerings of the tab quite logical, though it may just be suited to my style of playing. And I'm one of those lucky students who has a government grant so I'm sorted ;D.

3 1 3 4 3

TrangOul

Insomaniac

3           1        3 4    3  3        1        3 4
    2     2     2  1  2  1      2  4  2  4  2  1  2  1
    E  E  E  E  E  E  E  S S    E  E  E  E  E  E  E  S S
|----------------------------|---------------------------|
|---3------------------------|--3--3---------------------|
|*--------0-----2--------4-5-|--------0--0--2--------4-5-|
|*-----0-----0-----2-----2---|-----4-----4-----2-----2---|
|----------------------------|---------------------------|
|---3-----3-----3-----3------|--3-----3-----3-----3------|

2  1  4        1  3  1     4  1   2     1         1 4
  1  3  1  3  1  4  1  4     3  2   3  1  2  2  4
  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E     E  S S E  E  E  E  S S S S
--------5--------3--5--3--|-----------------------------|
-----3--------------------|--3--1-0---------------0-1-3-|
--4-----------------------|---------2-------------------|
--------------------------|-----2------2--4---------0---|
-----5-----5-----6-----6--|---------------5--5--7-------|
--3-----3-----3-----3-----|--3------3-------------------|

2        1      4  4  3  1             4
  3  2  3  2  1  3  1  4      2  3  1  3  2  1  2  1
--0----------------------0-|---------------------------|
---------------------------|--3--3---------------------|
--------0--------------2---|-----2-----2--0--------0---|
--------------4------------|--------4--4--2-----2----4-|
--3-----3-----3-----3------|--2-----2--------2-----2---|
-----3-----3-----5-----5---|---------------------------|

2  2     2     3     4     3  1     1  2  1     1   
  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E     E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E
--------------------------|--------------------------|
--------0-----------------|-----3-----3-----3-----3--|
-----0-----------2--0-----|--------------------------|
--2--2-----2--------------|--0-----0-----0-----0-----|
--0-----0-----0--------6--|--5-----------3-----------|
--------------------------|--------------------------|

2   4  2   4  2   4  2   4
  1             1
  E   E  E   E  E   E  E   E 
-----10-----10-----10-----10---||
-------------------------------||
--7------7------7------7------*||
------------------------------*||
-------------------------------||
--7-------------5--------------||

Is this comprehensible?

Re: 3 1 3 4 3

Bhael

You play the 7th measure the same as me! Changing the fret from D1 to A6 was my only alteration, as imo it makes a real musical difference.

Goddamnit Trang. moving those

karathrow

Goddamnit Trang.

moving those notes around made it so much more playable. I've been practicing the tab as is this whole time and it was so much harder.

I thought we weren't allowed ot move notes.

Quoted from my initial post I

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Quoted from my initial post

I also don't care if you move single notes to another string as long as the result pleases my ears.

I havn't been playing this

Bhael

I havn't been playing this nearly enough, but I'll submit an entry Sunday. Looking forward to everyone else's!

Re: I havn't been playing this

karathrow

Bhael said

I havn't been playing this nearly enough, but I'll submit an entry Sunday. Looking forward to everyone else's!

After this contest I don't think I'll ever want to play this again.

Must have played this thing 200 times by now and it still sounds like shit when I play it -.-

Yeah, I think the contest

musenji

Yeah, I think the contest pieces shouldn't necessarily be QUITE this hard. Or, maybe there could be a fingerstyle thing of the week that is not in fact a contest, just a non-contest challenge. The only problem would be deciding who gets to pick the piece every week. Maybe there would be some way to randomize it between all the people who took place in the previous challenge.

On the other hand, I disagree with the opinion that we should not be exposed to Trang's ability for fear of disheartening people. I think that seeing someone do something successfully is inspirational, not detrimental. Even if I am nowhere near being able to do it myself. Saying "Don't post your awesomeness, you might scare away the noobs" seems kinda patronizing.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Now you guys see why we get

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

Now you guys see why we get few submissions every week in our electric riff contests? :P ,we also stick with challenging riffs every week, so the actual submissions we get per week is really low, (albeit we got 4 with a pretty technical riff last week so that's a good thing!) Don't frown away from this challenge guys! a contest with easier riffs isn't the best choice,imo start by stepping out of your comfort zone and keep practicing, even if you can't fully nail it this week, there will always be other weeks, no practice is in vain, you'll start building up your skills, that is after all, what I had in mind when I started these challenges, to improve people's technique gradually. and man have I seen some amazing changes in a few players over the period of a month (Ranulf comes to mind). http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/Ranulf/ChallengeRiff3%20wav.mp3

Re: Now you guys see why we get

Ranulf

I will not join your gametabs.

:D

SJ's advertising again >:

Hakoria

Laon King

SJ's advertising again >:

Laon-san! where have you been

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

Laon-san! where have you been

The challenges have

karathrow

The challenges have definitely been helpful for me, even though we're only on week 2.

Usually when I learn a tab it's just me learning on my own and maybe a midi or a recording to give me ideas on how to approach it. Being able to learn a piece simultaneously with other people and compare notes on fingering or moving notes around etc has made me consider some things I overlooked.

I also have a habit of just doing what Nate was talking about earlier. I learn a piece and can play it somewhat okay but with lots of mess ups or pauses and generally just not fluidly. I play it til I can more or less go "ok I can recognize this as that song". Going from THAT point to "I can play this smoothly at tempo without mistakes" is a HUGE difference. It's not fun at all (which again as the running joke goes, probably means it's good practice) but I can tell I'm improving.

You probably will not see any recordings from me any time soon due to the pieces being beyond my skill level, but I'm actually practicing these a TON.

TL;DR: Even if you don't see lots of uploads these challenges help me personally improve a lot.

KT: I'm guessing the public

musenji

KT: I'm guessing the public reply means I won't be getting a PM reply? ;-) Anyway if you're more optimistic about it, then cool. I was just sensing frustration from your previous post, but hey, we all get frustrated. Good to hear it's a positive experience overall.

I would agree/say that the best part of this is that lots of people are trying to learn a piece at the same time, and discussing it.

----------

now, im beginning to learn

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

now, im beginning to learn ;D, btw i learn the challenges till i can perform somewhat without errors once every 3 playthroughs, same with other songs~

Re: Yeah, I think the contest

Bhael

musenji said

On the other hand, I disagree with the opinion that we should not be exposed to Trang's ability for fear of disheartening people. I think that seeing someone do something successfully is inspirational, not detrimental. Even if I am nowhere near being able to do it myself. Saying "Don't post your awesomeness, you might scare away the noobs" seems kinda patronizing.

Well if you phrase it like "scare away the noobs" it will sound patronising :P. If we followed your suggestion of making it non-competitive then obviously there'll be no mature reason for the owner of the thread not to post. However, since this is a competition it's simply boring and demotivational for the winner's entry to be '2nd best'. Whether or not you like the competition aspect, it's nice to win. I don't see how Trang submitting an entry is inspirational. Trang's a guitar god. We take it for granted that he can play these things. It's us mortals that count playing this as an achievement :). As it stands, guitar god can win once every 2 weeks. Having a better entry than everyone else every week it a little ott.

Now that's kinda flattering

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Now that's kinda flattering but I'm nowhere near being a guitar "god". I also gotta note that my recording of this week's challenge is far from flawless; I have flubbed notes, fret buzz and stuff like that just like everyone of us does.

"There was this fence where

musenji

"There was this fence where someone had spraypainted on 'Clapton is God', and there's a picture of a dog peeing on the fence...which I think says it all."

-Eric Clapton

:-D

What about asking Trang for a recording in a PM? haha

----------

Re: "There was this fence where

Bhael

musenji said

What about asking Trang for a recording in a PM?

Do it!

and of course we should keep

Clanver

Pixelfingers cant play

and of course we should keep it a competition, if its too easy than theres no meaning for either of us, the ones who wants to compete here and the other who wants to improve and of course both~

its nice material for everyone here~

edit: urrrrh, somehow, urr 1 day not . .need to, finish this urr, almost sunday already, hrr, this will be tough~

I play these measures this

musenji

I play these measures this way:

3        1      2  2  3  1             4
  2  1  2  1  2  4  2  4      1  1  1  3  2  1  2  1
--0----------------------0-|---------------------------|
---------------------------|--3--3---------------------|
--------0--------------2---|-----2-----2--0--------0---|
--------------4------------|--------4--4--2-----2----4-|
--3-----3-----3-----3------|--2-----2--------2-----2---|
-----3-----3-----5-----5---|---------------------------|
----------

So I figured slightly too

TrangOul

Insomaniac

So I figured making it slightly too difficult is better than making it too easy. But is this challenge really that hard?