You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Simple Finger Picking Songs

DeadInternal

Could someone link me to some easy to learn finger picking songs? I'm absolutely terrible at finger picking and would like to learn.

While they aren't explicitly

karathrow

While they aren't explicitly for fingerpicking many or Archard's tabs are what I started with.

The first fingerpicking song

kage25130

The first fingerpicking song I ever learned was estudio in Am by Dionisio Aguado. It's really easy to learn and it sounds better played slow. It'll at least break your fingers in a little bit.

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Classical Gas by Mason

fuoco

Classical Gas by Mason Williams. It will help you a lot. Good warm up song.

I like Breezy! ^-^

auriplane

I like Breezy! ^-^

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: I like Breezy! ^-^

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

auriplane said

I like Breezy! ^-^

beat me to it auri haha. (this song is from FFVIII btw)

for songs i learned it from, lets see...

with arms wide open by creed was the first (great for learning multi-tasking)
one thing by finger eleven was an early one too (good for maintaining tempo)
broken by seether featuring amy lee from evanescence (nice practice for shifting fingerings)
stairway to heaven by led zeppelin (the whole nineyards really
dust in the wind by kansas (EXCELLENT for your picking hand methods)
just breathe by pearl jam (also great for method as well as shifting)
plateau by the meat puppets, nirvana covered it really well imho (good for maintaining a progression and a consistent chord structure)

all those songs can be found on youtube to listen to, and all the tabs can be found at ultimate-guitar.com

also, to get a nice technique down, learn some of the simlpler ones like one thing by finger leven and with arms wide open etc... then give nothing else matters by metallica a try; excellent song, with an awesome finger-picked riff

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

I would check out

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

I would check out www.classtab.org. There is a lot of good stuff here, and most of it is on an easy/moderate difficulty level.

Lol nate, it's weird to see

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Lol nate, it's weird to see tabulature for all those classical pieces I learned from sheet music.
PS: o.o Koyunbaba tabs, that might be useful. Scordatura is pissing me off.
PPS: WTF is Cleft of Dimension from Chrono Cross doing there >_>

Yeah, it is a really great

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

Yeah, it is a really great resource for those not well-versed in sheet music. It also has some fun extra stuff at the very bottom under the "anonymous/tradition" section.

EDIT: Haha, yeah there is some video game stuff on there, Trang. In fact, when I first found the site, I preferred the version of The Nightmare's Beginning that was on classtabs to what was on gametabs.

E|--12p-10-------------|--9p-

TrangOul

Insomaniac

E   E   Q    Q       E  E  Q    Q       E  E  Q    Q       H.
E|--12p-10-------------|--9p-7------------|--7P-5------------|--5-----|
B|----------------9----|------------------|-------------5----|--------|
G|----------11---------|--------7----9----|--------6---------|--------|
D|---------------------|------------------|------------------|--------|
A|---------------------|------------------|--0---------------|--------|
E|--0------------------|--0---------------|------------------|--------|

This is an excerpt from Tárrega's Gran Vals. Thoughts? :>

EDIT: I made the tab abit more detailed.

Oh shit. Trang is droppin

natenmn

Oh shit. Trang is droppin the revelations. He stumped me until he linked me the answer, at which point my mind was blown.

You're working on Koyunbaba,

musenji

You're working on Koyunbaba, Trang? Sweet!

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Yeah, I can play the first

TrangOul

Insomaniac

Yeah, I can play the first movement just fine. Last one is where it's at, though. :|

Angeles by Elliot

Yogurt

Angeles by Elliot Smith

Silent hill Promise(reprise)

Jorge cardoso milonga

Crepuscolo sul Mare

Probably best practice would be dust in the wind, that song is really good for basic picking.

Ellia maiden of the water

chrono chross another guldove

instrumental version of yesterday (beatles)

black bird (beatles) is another solid and easy finger picking song!

Bartolome Calatayud -

Jman_nunez

><> ><> ><>

Bartolome Calatayud - Vals

Perfect for a beginner classical style player. Here is an auto playing type tab.

----------

Free userbars

"Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You"

yashakenkyaku

"Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zeppelin? http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zeppelin/babe_im_gonna_leave_you_t...
It only has a few chords and they're easy enough to get down. I got used to finger-picking by playing the intro to Stairway to Heaven. http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zeppelin/stairway_to_heaven_tab.htm
It may be wiser to follow a different route though, as I haven't gotten much professional instruction. ^_^;;

wayfaerer, I actually like

musenji

wayfaerer, I actually like dust in the wind for another reason. On the B string, you start each "set" with a different note, as such the B line goes

1-0-3-1
0-3-1-0
3-1-0-3
1-0-3-1

When I found out that's how it actually went, it got much more interesting. I think I used to just repeat the first line's pattern four times. It showed me how a subtle change can completely alter the sense of "flow" or emotion in a line.

And on a side note, while this riff would not be for a beginner, the first riff where I really sat down and said, "screw it, I'm going to get this" was the opening riff from Least Complicated by the Indigo Girls:

E   E   E   S S S S S S S S E    E   S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
E ----------------------0---------|--------------------------------|
B --------2-------2h3-------3-----|----------0-----0h2---0-------0-|
G --------------2-----------------|------2-------2-----------2-----|
D ----2-------2-------2-------2---|----2-------2-------2-------2---|
A 0-------0-------0-------0-------|0-------0-------0-------0-------|
E --------------------------------|--------------------------------|

(tabbed by Adam Schneider, found at guitaretab, but I altered the notation style quite a bit. The thing just repeats)

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Try something like this And

Ennea

humhum..

Try something like this

And if you can't, I recommend stuff like FF8 - Breezy, Golden Sun - Kalima Forest, Windmill Hut etc. or spam the random button for 1 hour and you will find many fun tabs to play!

But tbh, you should try the harder stuff at a low pace. This way you make progress much faster and it's awesome if you suddenly can play nearly all the tabs!

Dust in the Wind - Kansas

OggirtMoonfrad

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Dust in the Wind - Kansas

Re: I would check out

karathrow

natenmn said

I would check out www.classtab.org. There is a lot of good stuff here, and most of it is on an easy/moderate difficulty level.

Omg nate Ive been looking for a tab of chopins prelude no 15 in Db major for so long, this absolutely made my day thanks man!

I don't know why, but I never

musenji

I don't know why, but I never actually cared much for classical gas. :/ *ducks*

----------

Re: Simple Finger Picking Songs

Basch

i still cant play any fingerpicking song :c

Re: Simple Finger Picking Songs

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Basch said

i still cant play any fingerpicking song :c

then you don't practice enough!