You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Are we blacking out?

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

Are we?.

are you talking about that

Jacob31593

are you talking about that quit the internet for a day thing?

wut? i cant go online with my

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

wut?

i cant go online with my ps3, so that at least is blacking out

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

Re: are you talking about that

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

moar like. several site admins and some known sites (Twitter, youtube,facebook, Wikipedia)are "blacking out" (putting their sites offline) for the duration of the event to revolt against SOPA and PIPA. I wondered if we were gonna jump on the wagon 1:

Personally, I think we should

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

Personally, I think we should (although I don't know if it'll make a difference). SOPA could have potentially dire consequences for user content based sites such as Gametabs.

that's what I thought too

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

that's what I thought too Nate lol, SOPA seems to have some power against sites such as gametabs ;A;

political wars on the

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

political wars on the net?

these guys have read into otherland by tad williams WAY too much.

this is the first ive heard of it. dayum.

folks cant get on facebook??

OH NOES, WHATEVER SHALL THEY DOOO.

on another note, i think it mght be a poor choice in jumping on board this black out shiz; screamin some bad voodoo at me, at least, dunno bout anyone else *shrug*

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

I think the point of the

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

I think the point of the blackout is to show what could potentially happen in the future. I'm not suggesting that Facebook or Google would be shut down completely, but it is very likely that similar sites to Gametabs could be. Certain websites may effectively be "blacked out" for good if SOPA passes while others could lose a large portion of their content.

oh i know that, but some

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

oh i know that, but some people i know would lose their everloving minds without even a single day of facebook, or even a couple hours for that matter, in some cases.

when was tis war with SOPA initiated anyways?? and lit the proverbial fire?

----------

I don't see why we should

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't see why we should black out.
Facebook twitter 4chan, all those make sense because they're well known.
But gametabs is a pretty small site, would we even be noticed if we blacked out?

Re: I don't see why we should

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

Gametabs is far from a small site actually, our leecher element is gigantic, archard once told me the site easily had thousands of individual views per day lol, in fact check how many guests we have at all times.

We're averaging over 48,000

archard

We're averaging over 48,000 page impressions and 12,000 unique visitors over the last week according to StatCounter. I think this site is too small to be targeted in a lawsuit, but not too small that we can't get the word out to a significant amount of people and I definitely support blacking out for at least a few hours. It's up to Ash though.

----------

DANG

I'm down for it, but I will

karathrow

I'm down for it, but I will miss Gtabs ;-;

Let's do it. We need to show

Kain

What is... Gee-taar?

Let's do it. We need to show a strong standpoint on this issue. Every little bit helps, from the small sites all the way up to wikipedia.

----------

One word: Thundercougarfalconbird

Re: oh i know that, but some

SolidX

I'm relatively new here but I think it's our duty to blackout gametabs.

It's common to have a "it's not my problem" or "it doesn't affect me" attitude towards things that happen in Washington DC, especially on the internet. But SOPA & PIPA actually DO. A significant portion of the internet's core infrastructure is located in the United States. Passing these bills means granting one country the power to screw around with DNS (the addressing system of the internet).

So when some company decides oh let's blacklist a site for "infringing" content such as an image macro or game tabs or actual acts of piracy, we will all suffer and eventually turn to other methods of addressing websites that have been banned. This not only makes the internet more dangerous (from an internet security standpoint) but less reliable as a whole. Since when was the last time those old farts in Congress got anything concerning technology right?

tl;dr It's our duty as netizens to blackout gametabs to show Congress what the effects of their censorship will be as well as inform the people who've been living under a rock and don't know about SOPA or PIPA yet. i've blacked out 3 websites so far and I think we should BLACKOUT GAMETABS as well.

----------

Editor-in-Chief of leetNEET

Yeah I think gametabs should

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

Yeah I think gametabs should definetly help spread the message,nothing to lose and a good message concerning every netizen to spread!what do you think Ash?

Blackout!

natenmn

Blackout!

man these politicians need a

soundsandstuff

man these politicians need a black eye on both eyes. i say if they dont like our internet then they should stay the hell out of it

Blackout? Or EMGs?

auriplane

Blackout? Or EMGs?

----------

Auriplane!!

Both!

natenmn

Both!

jesus archard I had no idea

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

jesus archard I had no idea this site was so popular! how thrilling
guess i'm down for a blackout then

We are Anonymous.We are

Candorous1

Candorous1

We are anonymous.
We are Legion.
United as ONE.
Divided by zero.
We do not forgive Censorship.
We do not forget Oppression.
Congress...
Expect us!!

I think you took a wrong

auriplane

I think you took a wrong turn. We're not anonymous at all!

----------

Auriplane!!

Gametabs!

natenmn

Gametabs!

I support this.

Bhael

I support this.

Done

Ash

The voice of gametabs has spoken.

*nods head in approval*

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

*nods head in approval*

let those who once fought

Jacob31593

let those who once fought against brothers and relatives now rightfully fight against barbarians

(No subject)

Ash

I heard Obama is against SOPA

Hakoria

Laon King

I heard Obama is against SOPA after some Texans announced they were still for it.
Or something like that.

Funny how only the media is for SOPA while pretty much all tech industries/companies are against.

awesome ash, the gametabs

soundsandstuff

awesome ash, the gametabs blackout thing you made is working for me, i'm seeing an empty black page load before every page with links to sopa and stuff, it shall not pass!!

Drone's will shall be heard

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

Drone's will shall be heard

If this bill passes we should

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

If this bill passes we should have a data base torrent set up. so that we can have access to the entire Tab data base just in case the feds decide to take over.

I have been downloading like crazy lol. Got all my Music software and VSTs and Games/ Music all backed up and stored away :)

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Glad to see a clever topic

Pasto

Eat your Pasta ! ! !

Glad to see a clever topic here.
And nice job guys, we have to spread the information about it.
Most of the person around me don't even know about that.
Here is some Pasta of Freedom !

----------

"Pasta Is Good For You" - The Pasta Guy

I honestly am not surprised

Giogiogio4

I honestly am not surprised by this. America was founded on the idea of freedom. A country were people were suppose to have open minds and the ability to express freewill and expression. But has become the very thing it the Founding fathers were against when they made this country. I'm ashamed to even be in this country most of the time. It's one stupid thing after another with the Government.The very Idea of this law goes against the founding concept of Capitalism.And the Constitution it was formed on.

I wonder how much time and money is wasted on Stupid laws like these. Look at the video game laws they recently tried to pass. SO instead of using the billions of dollars we pay in taxes to fix the job market and homeless situation people are more worried about "Violence" in video games. I cant even count the number of countries that have all ready disproved the entire Piracy bullshit. it's already a common sense fact that 1 download does not equal 1 lost sell. If music is downloaded it does nothing more then give free advertisement to bands, since they don't make money off record sales, They get most of the income through shows. Most downloaded video game users never had the intention on buying the game anyways. Or they would simply buy it used and cut their profit legally. Downloaded movies don't do crap because People can easily rent it for a buck a few months later at a red box. OR see it on netflixs.

This law is just another stupid excuse to give the Corporations more power then they actually need. The very Concept of Guitar pro is to give users the ability to hear Tabs played and to write and learn music. There are no Laws that state that someone cant write down Tabs of a song they heard by ear and give them to a friend to learn. There are NO official Guitar Pro tabs. That's why I stopped buying anything from Dethklok. After all the Tabs were removed from the web, forcing you to buy his shitty book. This law is going to do nothing but lead to disaster. You will see once people are not allowed to sell used stuff on ebay and CL/ Amazon anymore.

----------

Freedom pasta is delicious.

Ash

Freedom pasta is delicious. Thanks everyone for supporting the blackout. Normal service has been resumed :)

SOPA!!!!!!!!!!

zen03y

CATFOOD

SOPA!!!!!!!!!!

***Comment removed by SOPA***

Giogiogio4

***Comment removed by SOPA***

----------