You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #18 - Being Consumed by EVIL!

bleedingfingers

The theme is Being Consumed by EVIL!

1. The piece must be an original and new work. No rehashes.
2. The piece must be at least 1 minute in length.
3. Any audio format is acceptable.
4. There is no limitation on style, as long as it is appropriate for the subject matter.
5. You may enter as many pieces as you wish, but must choose one for judging.
6. The end date for this contest is December 15th at 12pm EST.
7. You may post your entry early and you may replace or change or edit your entry up until the moment the contest is closed. I will only then listen to the entries for judging.
8. Have fun with it!

PS- Plus points for applying Harmonic minor and Diminished to your creations =D

Good luck, May the force be with you!

this is a decent theme, i

Jacob31593

this is a decent theme

one week is a bit short i

hashel

one week is a bit short i think... Evil will always be a good theme :D

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

well

bleedingfingers

If its not enough time i could make an extension

more time? im already done!

Jacob31593

more time? im already done!

Hint

bleedingfingers

Deathmetal....IS EVIL! EEEEVVVIIIILLLLLL <_< >_>

If you make an extension,

auriplane

If you make an extension, please say what time of day the extension ends so no one's surprised when it ends at 1AM that day ;-)

----------

Auriplane!!

i'll stick with the 15th but

bleedingfingers

i'll stick with the 15th but if you need longer then post it up, No time just whenever before the 16th

Here's something for this

srvjimiandkurt

Here's something for this contest:

Psycho

Here's the 8bit version of the same thing. It sounds waaay heavy.

Psycho 8-Bit

By the way: This website should be fixed so that we can upload wav files instead of having to convert them to mp3s.

mp3s are much smaller, that

Jacob31593

mp3s are much smaller, that is why the site does not allow wavs

You could also turn up your

auriplane

You could also turn up your bitrate. Your files are 64kbit (and 22kHz, which means you're losing half of the frequency spectrum minimum). Most people can't tell the difference between a WAV and a 256kbit mp3 with a good encoder.

----------

Auriplane!!

I don't mean to hijack the

karathrow

I don't mean to hijack the thread and I guess I could make my own, but how did you guys get started making these (the tune entries, not the competitions themselves).

Did you have to have lots of theory knowledge or do you just noodle around until something sounds good or what?

You don't need any theory to

auriplane

You don't need any theory to compose. Just play an instrument, and see what comes out. :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: You don't need any theory to

karathrow

auriplane said

You don't need any theory to compose. Just play an instrument, and see what comes out. :-)

Yeah Ive been goofing around but I have no idea what I'm doing XD.

Have your guitar, find a good

Hakoria

Laon King

Have your guitar, find a good melody that catches your ear/want to exploit. That can be the lead voice/melody for example. With your guitar, you can find accompaniments to the earlier melody, then write it down and set it with other instruments with programs or synths. Theory is restricting yourself to easier but more limited composing (easier because you won't be able to exploit all 88 keys of a piano in every possible way due to non-harmonical lines and such, doesn't mean it'll be easy like magic). It's like a frame of a painting, the painting can't represent a true neverending landscape/horizon, just like how Music following theory will not be able to exploit it's freedom (credits to Busoni for writing such a pov although he wrote it beautifully unlike my fugly summarization; it was in a book of his about his views on Music but I forgot the exact title, was at the uni library not at home).

I don't know who here does what (using theory as reference <- it is still very practical, I'll never think it's something useless / or improvising things) here, but I also usually goof around and just tend to find something I want to work with.

I think it helps to find as

auriplane

I think it helps to find as many ways to compose as you can.

But really, you want your song to have the ring of truth to it. You can come up with something theoretically sound but boring, unexpressive, and uninteresting. You want your song to feel right, to speak to the listener, and to make them feel what you feel. And if you can play expressively, then using an instrument is the easiest way to get there. This is true even if you're just entering notes into a computer after you play them.

This is all just my opinion, of course. There's no rules to follow, so you have to find what works for you personally.

----------

Auriplane!!

I've found that the more you

srvjimiandkurt

I've found that the more you play, even without knowing theory, you begin to develop your own theory for what sounds good in certain situations. You'll learn that a certain combination of notes gives a certain feeling, you may not know why those certain notes give that sound, but that really doesn't matter, as long as the emotion desired comes across. 'Na mean?

(No subject)

Re: I don't mean to hijack the

soundsandstuff

karathrow said

Did you have to have lots of theory knowledge or do you just noodle around until something sounds good or what?

i usually noodle around, my theory knowledge isn't great, so basically i'd come up with bits and pieces of music while practicing and then gradually build upon those. when you come up with a part you like you can jot it down or record it and then build it from there, or if you want a starting point you can listen to songs that fit the theme and feel that you're aiming for to give you ideas.

keep it simple for yourself, and just have fun experimenting at a pace that you're comfortable with, and you can even post your stuff as a work in progress to get feedback from people as you build your songs x)

Lunatic BallGPro File

Jacob31593

Lunatic Ball
GPro File

note: ball as in a dance function or such

Extension

bleedingfingers

21st of december, closes midnight

can we have an extens.....

soundsandstuff

can we have an extens..... awesome

my fellows, here be ith my

soundsandstuff

my fellows, here be ith my entry:

Evil Patterns

dnb D:

Jacob31593

dnb D:

Here is my entry =)Dark

hashel

Here is my entry =)
Evil Scheme.mp3

----------

Results ? :D

hashel

Results ? :D

----------

looks like bleeding fingers

soundsandstuff

looks like bleeding fingers is busy holidays or forgot or something

If Bleedingfingers doesn't

auriplane

If Bleedingfingers doesn't appear in the next week, a guest judge should step in. Like, say, Kabukibear, since Tune Contest is his baby.

:-D

----------

Auriplane!!

Oh, is it really? Well in

kage25130

Oh, is it really? Well in that case, thanks kabukibear!~

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

So I decided to check out all

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

So I decided to check out all the entries for fun after Jacob and drone were spamming about them on IRC(Bastards.)
HERE'S WHAT I THINK.

srvjimiandkurt's Psycho:
It definetly has that. eerie,Psycho atmosphere, however the recording and mastering was a bit too raw, not sure if it even existed,some drum and bass would've lifted the mood of the song for sure, as it stands the mp3 version feels like fun riffing, not much of a song.
However the 8bit version is totally awesome, I could see it as part of the OST in some horror/survival game for the NES or SNES, good job.

Jacob's Lunatic Ball:
Great buildup, gives me that. SOMEONE IS WATCHING,WAITING. feeling. feels like a Clocktower song, you know that game, where the creepy evil antagonist would chase you with giant scissors after killing all your friends.
great instrument choice.

Drone's Evil Patterns:

Those were some pretty evil drum patterns indeed, atmospheric stuff, a rather creative entry imo, wasn't expecting a
drum n' bass track up in this, you should add more variety to the bass fills, and raise the volume up a bit, other than that, you can totally picture some desperate or evil situation here.

Hashel's Evil Scheme:
Has the contest's evil atmosphere and does feel like an. Evil Scheme. but a bit repetitive, and there was just something about the guitar's tone which wasn't too hot, I know it is tricky to get a not-so-digitalized tone out of amp sims and through direct line recording most of the time lol, some palm muting, slides and vibrato would hurt, that's probably why the melody felt a tad repetitive, you were just hitting the notes, add some more expressiveness and dynamics to your playing and dang this tune will be boss.

Certainly srvjimiandkurt's Psycho 8bit version was my favorite out of all the entries, good job dawg if I were the judge, you'd be the winner. but i'm not.

i reviewed your reviews and

soundsandstuff

i reviewed your reviews and it was awesome yo, yeah the bass did sound a bit buried on my track, i'll bring it forward more in the future xD

if bleedingfingers doesnt do anything by the end of tonight i say Kabukibear wins

If bleedingfingers continues

auriplane

If bleedingfingers continues to be gone for 3 MORE DAYS, I nominate Strangejam as official judge of this round

----------

Auriplane!!

i'd say 3 minutes but...where

Jacob31593

i'd say 3 minutes but...where is servijfaijoiesjalfisjil? D:

^If you're talking about me,

srvjimiandkurt

^If you're talking about me, I'm still around.

2 more days x(((

soundsandstuff

2 more days x(((

i think srvijalskjla should

Jacob31593

i think srvijalskjla should just go ahead and start the next one

here's some botched concept

soundsandstuff

here's some botched concept art while we wait

It's srv (Stevie Ray Vaughan)

srvjimiandkurt

It's srv (Stevie Ray Vaughan) jimi (Hendrix) and (and) kurt (Cobain).

I didn't know Sephiroth

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

I didn't know Sephiroth smoked crack.
I guess it could be malnutrition and dental hygiene neglect. hehe

So...should I go ahead and

srvjimiandkurt

So...should I go ahead and start a new one, or wait a little while longer?

It looks like a cross between

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

It looks like a cross between Sephiroth and Jack Knife from Superjail hahaha

Well, I guess we'll put it to

auriplane

Well, I guess we'll put it to a vote.

All in favor, say yes, no, or decline to say anything at all!

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: I didn't know Sephiroth

soundsandstuff

iamHoustonian said

I didn't know Sephiroth smoked crack.
I guess it could be malnutrition and dental hygiene neglect. hehe

he was being consumed by eeevil!!!! hehe

and i vote yes,

srvjimiandkurt for 2012 please

Okay! Even though nobody

auriplane

Okay!

Even though nobody asked me, I declare StrangeJam official judge!

And therefore, SRVJimiandKurt is the winner! Hooray!!

----------

Auriplane!!

wooohooo! congratulations!!

soundsandstuff

wooohooo! congratulations!! and awesome entries by everyone btw

^^ this is why we dont club

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

^^ this is why we dont club baby seals,

because they are a less demonic of furbies.

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

My many apologises

bleedingfingers

Sorry guys my interwebs and cable have been down the virgin trolls too years to fix it

xOO good to see you alive and

soundsandstuff

xOO good to see you alive and with new inter...webs?? we decided to start the next one after you were mia for 3 weeks xO

sweett

bleedingfingers

yeah i got captured but some communists and i woke up in a field naked, i keep hearing these numbers in my head...oh well must be nothing ;]