You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Ahem. Collective Agreement?

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

What is the ONE game on the PS1 that you feel EVERYONE can say was a great game? a tally will be kept in the manner of votes; meaning if someone names the same game, that game will get points, and the topic will be updated upon each post if a game is given. votes CAN be changed, and only one vote per post. honorable mentions count for nothing, but i'll include them anyways, just cause; but if they get a vote, they will be removed and placed respectively where they belong.

basically i mean, what do you feel to be the ONE game that defined the PS1 epoch.

ill have to say spyro the dragon. and i think souledge is a worthy honorable mention, as well as parasite eve 1 and 2.

VOTES

Chrono Cross = 3

Crash Team Racing = 2

Final Fantasy IX = 2
Final Fantasy Tactics = 2

Metal Gear Solid = 4

Parasite Eve 2 = 1

Soul Reaver = 1

Spyro the Dragon = 4

Suikoden II = 1

Xenogears = 1

NATE! LEAVE IT ALONE!

i enjoy your passion for IX, i too share it, but i dont encourage your use of crack

Honorable Mention

Alundra
Brave Fencer Musashi
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Crash Bandicoot (1, 2, 3)
Final Fantasy VII
Klonoa
Legend of Mana
Parasite Eve
Souledge

if i miss something, let me know, and rectified it shall be.

Chrono Cross

Ranulf

I will not join your gametabs.

Chrono Cross

Chrono Cross

yoshistrings

ヨッシー

Chrono Cross

yup, thought as much. i was

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

yup, thought as much. i was gonna cast a vote for it myself, but i figure it not to be as widely played as a platformer game would be. 2 votes in.

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

Spyro the Dragon. I've yet to

zen03y

CATFOOD

Spyro the Dragon.

I've yet to play Chrono Cross, and I loved Chrono Trigger, but Spyro gave me a shitload of adventures

Definitely Spyro! :)

Definitely Spyro! :)

OH NOES! :O You both must

Ranulf

I will not join your gametabs.

OH NOES! :O You both must play Chrono Cross to remedy your ailment!

chrono cross is superior, but

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

chrono cross is superior, but spyro was just amazing and filled with questing and adventuring. plus some of the enemies were funny when you killed em. riptos rage is my favorite from the trilogy (it died after year of the dragon). +2 spyro!

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

Chrono Cross had a beautiful

auriplane

Chrono Cross had a beautiful soundtrack. I'm just happy I don't have to play the game again to experience it XD

Seriously, a story is defined by its characters. And the characters of CC were forgettable, largely because they tended to say the same things as one another, but with ridiculous accent filters to make them sound like they actually wrote separate dialogue for all of them. They simply had too many, and no opportunity to make each individual character come alive. Most of them were throw-aways, with barely a story to them, so underdeveloped it was hard to get attached to them at all. Of the few that weren't, some of those were tainted by the association with Chrono Trigger. CT focused on a limited cast, and it developed them really well--you really loved the characters when you were through with the game! But that made what they did with them in CC all the more upsetting.

The gameplay wasn't bad. The music was beautiful. But it was hard to care what happened to anyone in that game, and I actually got upset when I learned what they did with the CT chars. (My younger self put it less kindly: "They peed all over Chrono Trigger!") And so while I enjoyed playing it once, and I adore the music, I don't plan on ever playing it again.

Metal Gear Solid. :-D

----------

Auriplane!!

TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

Re: TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

surreal said

so, ill put in 2 for MGS?

----------

I'm with MGS too. Other ones

Pasto

Eat your Pasta ! ! !

I'm with MGS too. Other ones was great games as well btw.

----------

"Pasta Is Good For You" - The Pasta Guy

Xenogears !!!

hashel

Xenogears !!!

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

i have regretfully never

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

i have regretfully never played xenogears--and here i was earlier raggin on ranulf about FFT. i are disappointed hypocrite :(

+1 MGS
+1 Xenogears

----------

spyro, never beat it myeslf

Lemoncobbler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

spyro, never beat it myeslf though, but it was fun.
never played chrono cross, heard it was the bastard child of chrono trigger, but I love the soundtrack
my brother told me never to play xenogears and that it was a bunch of artsy bullshit. don't really think I should take his word for it at this point.

soul reaver is fun

Jacob31593

soul reaver is fun

Re: spyro, never beat it myeslf

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

Lemoncobbler said

spyro, never beat it myeslf though, but it was fun.
never played chrono cross, heard it was the bastard child of chrono trigger, but I love the soundtrack
my brother told me never to play xenogears and that it was a bunch of artsy bullshit. don't really think I should take his word for it at this point.

chrono cross is a beautiful game. nuff said. i dont draw any lines between the two, i find they compliment each other so well and so fluently. honestly people, how could square have made a sequel to chrono trigger any more relevant and yet fresh? i dont think they could have.

xenogears? is the number one game ive never played that i want to. as soon as i get a PSN points card, itll be my main purchase along with either IX or FFT, i cant decide which, unless of course i get a $50 card, in which case ill get both along with limbo and fancy pants adventure. and probably spyro the dragon, if i have enough points left.

+1 for spyro!! now in the lead with 4

----------

Final Fantasy IX. Good thing

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

Final Fantasy IX.

Good thing crack induced votes are worth 14 votes.

Re: Final Fantasy IX.Good thing

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

natenmn said

Final Fantasy IX.

Good thing crack induced votes are worth 14 votes.

-_-

could have at least kept it alphabetized

----------

nate! bugger off!

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

nate!

bugger off!

----------

you should put it in

Jacob31593

you should put it in descending order by vote count!

Re: you should put it in

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

Jacob31593 said

you should put it in descending order by vote count!

ya why not...

surprised nate hasn't done so already :/

EDIT: actually no I shan't, cause then ill have to change it again every goddamn time a vote changes

----------

Crash Team Racing

SalemJenet

Crash Team Racing

Of those, I'd go with CC, for

BacardiBreezer

My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up!

Of those, I'd go with CC, for the soundtrack alone and the beautiful artwork. I liked the story but share Auri's point in that the characters, aside from Serge, didn't really stand out. It WAS neat to have SO many but it was also like you couldn't possibly appreciate all of them due to how short the game was.

I would like to say Breath of Fire 3 should be a contender, it's incredibly underrated in gameplay/story and especially soundtrack. The first Spyro game was fun, though.

Re: Of those, I'd go with CC, for

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

so where will i be casting your vote bacardi?

i didn't know breath of fire was released on ps1. hm

----------

Re: Crash Team Racing

Hakoria

Laon King

SalemJenet said

Crash Team Racing

Yo

lognar

Final Fantasy Tactics!!!

If i could vote more than once...

Spyro was also one of my favorites, I loved that game. And Chrono Cross is simply amazing. but I can't leave without mentioning these as well:

Brave Fencer Musashi
Legend of Mana

:]

Re: Yo

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

lognar said

Final Fantasy Tactics!!!

If i could vote more than once...

Spyro was also one of my favorites, I loved that game. And Chrono Cross is simply amazing. but I can't leave without mentioning these as well:

Brave Fencer Musashi
Legend of Mana

:]

aww dude, you missed the little geek-out jacob, lemoncobbler and i had about FFT. it was fuckin great.

youre in for FFT, because you CAN only vote once.

nice choices. brave fencer was good stuff.

----------

Symphony of the night was too

SalemJenet

Symphony of the night was too easy to be enjoyable.
Just download the ost.

Hakoria I've missed you ;A;

It's not like being told that

Hakoria

Laon King

It's not like being told that by you pleases me or anything ...b- baka!

Na - - - Nani ? ? ?Salem !

Pasto

Eat your Pasta ! ! !

Na - - - Nani ? ? ?
Salem ! Don't flirt with him !
Hako-Chan is Mine ! ! ! !

Sorry, I wanted to do that at least 1 time.

Btw: SUIKODEN 2 - FFIX- Castlevania SOTN ! ! !

----------

Damn,i never played Chrono

JordanVS

"Hunger is the best spice they say. "

Damn,i never played Chrono Cross -.-
but the crash bandicoot series were awesome on the psx and so was ffviii

Re: Chrono Cross had a beautiful

N0Stars

auriplane said

Chrono Cross had a beautiful soundtrack. I'm just happy I don't have to play the game again to experience it XD

Seriously, a story is defined by its characters. And the characters of CC were forgettable, largely because they tended to say the same things as one another, but with ridiculous accent filters to make them sound like they actually wrote separate dialogue for all of them. They simply had too many, and no opportunity to make each individual character come alive. Most of them were throw-aways, with barely a story to them, so underdeveloped it was hard to get attached to them at all. Of the few that weren't, some of those were tainted by the association with Chrono Trigger. CT focused on a limited cast, and it developed them really well--you really loved the characters when you were through with the game! But that made what they did with them in CC all the more upsetting.

The gameplay wasn't bad. The music was beautiful. But it was hard to care what happened to anyone in that game, and I actually got upset when I learned what they did with the CT chars. (My younger self put it less kindly: "They peed all over Chrono Trigger!") And so while I enjoyed playing it once, and I adore the music, I don't plan on ever playing it again.

Metal Gear Solid. :-D

I totally agree with you, but Chrono Cross isn't the only offender.
Recently, I had a bit of a nostalgia attack and decided that breaking out some of my old PSX RPGs was the only cure. It cured me alright, but it was more painful than pleasant. Apparently my memories have become rose-tinted with age, because I was more than a little disappointed with CC and some of the other games in my collection. The soundtracks may still be fresh, but the tortured polygonal graphics, hokey characters/stories, and maddening early 3D gameplay conventions are not. I guess you can't blame the gaming industry for pushing aside the overall experience and focusing on graphical enhancements; the Wow Factor of 3D was a much easier selling point to establish than going into the specifics of story and mechanics.

Oh well.

Having said that, there are a few games I still enjoy. If I had to pick one on your list, it would be Parasite Eve 2. The presentation is still excellent: the mix of genetic-terrorism and biological pseudoscience provides a surprisingly engaging story, and the graphics have aged well thanks to pre-rendered backgrounds. I know the controls are (more than) a little clunky thanks to a fixed camera and tank controls, but it actually makes battles more exciting and forces you to use strategy over quick reflexes. The RPG elements are light, but they are good enough to make ending a fight as rewarding as participating in one.

The ending is a little lame, but all in all, it is a really enjoyable game.
Chalk one up for PE2.

Re: It's not like being told that

SalemJenet

Hakoria said

It's not like being told that by you pleases me or anything ...b- baka!

by a long shot, final fantasy

jit

by a long shot, final fantasy tactics

Re: Na - - - Nani ? ? ?Salem !

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

so where is your vote going pasto?

----------

Re: Damn,i never played Chrono

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

that avatar is awesome!

what am i putting you in for? only one vote mate!

----------

im amazed no one has said

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

im amazed no one has said legend of the dragoon.

you dont have to pick a game from the list, just name a game and ill chalk up a vote for it; but if you feel one of the games in the list deserve a vote, name it.

but only ONE vote each folks, and try to make it clear which game it is youre voting for.

----------

lol what purpose does the

karathrow

lol what purpose does the actual voting serve for, I thought the reason you liked the game was the more uh "worthier" thing to post about.

Anywho if I had to choose a game from the PS1 that most people I would assume like or is the most popular I'd probably say FF7. It's not my personal favorite but it's probably the most popular ps1 game I can think of.

If we're confining this to "I liked this and everyone I met liked this" I'd probably say MGS or something. Most popular games I played or enjoyed were hated by at least someone I talked to (FFIX, Resident Evil, etc.)

Also fuck yeah soul reaver.

(also since voting is pointless, I vote for FFIX since its my personal favorite)

Re: lol what purpose does the

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

voting serves as a way of seeing a collective opinion, no reall purpose per se, but its interesting to see what everyone thinks defined the ps1 era.

so IX kara?

----------

Of those posted I'd vote CC.

BacardiBreezer

My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up!

Of those posted I'd vote CC.

+1 CC -13 nate

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

+1 CC
-13 nate

----------

Oh I didnt read the rule at

Pasto

Eat your Pasta ! ! !

Oh I didnt read the rule at all.
Now I get it.
So I still vote for MGS. But I have to same at same time FFVII and Crash Bandicoot.
They was all important & good game for the psx.
MGS and FFVII at same place for sure.
And Alundra and Klonoa too.

----------

Re: Oh I didnt read the rule at

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

Pasto said

Oh I didnt read the rule at all.
Now I get it.
So I still vote for MGS. But I have to same at same time FFVII and Crash Bandicoot.
They was all important & good game for the psx.
MGS and FFVII at same place for sure.
And Alundra and Klonoa too.

youre in for MGS.

the others are in honorable mention.

did you mean crash bandicoot as a whole? or did you mean a specific game.

----------

Re: lol what purpose does the

auriplane

karathrow said

If we're confining this to "I liked this and everyone I met liked this" I'd probably say MGS or something. Most popular games I played or enjoyed were hated by at least someone I talked to (FFIX, Resident Evil, etc.)

Yeah, I thought that was the point, so wouldn't voting for your favorite or something "underrated" be missing that point entirely? MGS isn't my favorite PSX game, but it's the one game I think everyone can agree is pretty great :-D

----------

Auriplane!!

+1 for Suikoden II

kage25130

+1 for Suikoden II

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

off the top of my

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

off the top of my head:

-Laon: The Game
-Metal Gear Solid
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Final Fantasy 7

Re: off the top of my

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

wheres your vote going SJ?

----------

Metal gear solid. if I can

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

Metal gear solid. if I can only pick one. ;~;

Re: Metal gear solid. if I can

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

*nods*

----------