You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Choosing a Guitar Effect Pedal

Basch

Whats up mates! Well I'm looking after a pedal, my amp sucks, its too old, 50 watts got no effects so i'm after a good pedal.

Does anyone know a good pedal to play songs from heavy metal, power metal and death metal bands? I found one named Digitech Death Metal Pedal, but not sure if it would fit all my needs..

I saw some others named Bad Monkey, Boss MT-2 Zone, Grunge, Boss CS-3 and so many more..

Any expert who could help me? x) by the way, my Amp makes an annoying sound, maybe cuz its too old, like 15 years old or so, it was given to me, but its a 50 watts one, any idea on some cool light(weight) good amp that i could buy? this one wights 20kg or so ! T_T

Thanks!

so basically do you want a

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

so basically do you want a distortion pedal, a stomp box, or a Pedalboard modeling station? I know you said you want an extra punch in distortion and tone, however if your amp is already bad (bad cruch, bad tone,etc) a good distortion pedal won't magically fix that, it is a common misbelief. basically what you want is a pedalboard offering amp modeling, it is basically everything in one board, distortions, amp modeler, effects, wah,works for home recording, and a great live stomp box.

http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/hdmodels.html

As far as amps go, if you're on budget a Line 6 Spider IV will do the trick, if you have some extra cash (around 400-600) look around ebay for used tube amps, a lot of rich kids buy them just to sell them off 1 month later for cheap

I use a Digitech RP90, it's

BacardiBreezer

My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up!

I use a Digitech RP90, it's one of those multiple effects in one type deal. I really like it, but I think I'd also like to upgrade to a better model eventually, with even MORE effects. Don't get me wrong it's pretty cool as is, but ya know. This is the RP500 but similar type of thing. Mine is smaller. I got it from Musician's Friend (google it)

Re: so basically do you want a

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

StrangeJam said

so basically do you want a distortion pedal, a stomp box, or a Pedalboard modeling station? I know you said you want an extra punch in distortion and tone, however if your amp is already bad (bad cruch, bad tone,etc) a good distortion pedal won't magically fix that, it is a common misbelief. basically what you want is a pedalboard offering amp modeling, it is basically everything in one board, distortions, amp modeler, effects, wah,works for home recording, and a great live stomp box.

http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/hdmodels.html

As far as amps go, if you're on budget a Line 6 Spider IV will do the trick, if you have some extra cash (around 400-600) look around ebay for used tube amps, a lot of rich kids buy them just to sell them off 1 month later for cheap

i prefer the spyder III, amp wise. if youre lookin for a good pedal get a line 6 pod, or BB's aforementioned digitech.

stomp box? get a digitech, if youre lookin for a good stomper.

and to fix that "sound"? purchase a noisegate. relatively cheap depending on brand of course; most higher end amps come built in with noise gates anyway, so you might as well go for the full bang. any line 6 spyder amp will do you some serious justice, the III or the IV specifically, but its about preferance.

theres some new amp/monitor/mixer or some shit out now that a lot of djent bands use (tesseract and haunted shores i believe use it) called axe-fx. SUPER high price, but its a concert model sound system in a floor based whatever the hell it is. i truly dont know how to define it, except to say it sounds cooler than the other side of the pillow.

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

Yeah, I like my Pod HD. Then

auriplane

Yeah, I like my Pod HD. Then again, my guitar tone isn't so great, so that may not be a really firm recommendation ;-)

I did the guitar tones on these songs with the Pod HD:

http://auriplane.net/gravitybeans9.mp3
http://auriplane.net/superchillworld4.mp3

----------

Auriplane!!

The noise gate I use is an

auriplane

The noise gate I use is an ISP Decimator, BTW. I like it.

----------

Auriplane!!

oh nice vibratos there

StrangeJam

Da Manliness

oh nice vibratos there plane!
those are pretty good tones imo.
i've only heard good things about pod HDs lol.

I recorded this with the predecessor model of the PodHDs, the podX3:
http://tindeck.com/listen/trbg

:-D

auriplane

:-D

----------

Auriplane!!

I use the ZOOM G3Awesome

Giogiogio4

For all the dreamers: Our planet's dream is not over yet...

I use the ZOOM G3

Awesome pedal, love it to death. Has everything I could wish for in it.

But id really like an Axe FX II one day

And what does the whats matter to you?
seriouslly Most Old name brand amps are better then most things we have around today if used right. Noise can be anything from a grounding issue , guitar cable or your grounding in the guitar needs fixing. You sound like your rather new so it's better to go cheaper and learn an effects processor pedal then upgrade. Line6, Zoom, Digitech all make great products when used correctly.

I Stick with ZOOM of recently. Ever since the G2,NU series they have been making some really nice pedals. All built tough to last and have a Great Lead tone. I tried a few Line 6 pedals and they always sound too fake to me. The Line6 Built into the tube amps work allot better. I had a few digitech way back and they were ok as well but they most have improved today.

The New ZOOM G3 Pedal is really nice for the price. 200 Bucks. Has 90+ Pedals. from effects to Amp sims. All the amp sims Cabs can be swaped around. Even has 3 screens/ triggers so its like having 3 Pedals at once. I use it with my amp or just run it through the amp and it sounds great both ways. Also has a USB out and stuff. It has allot of stuff on it lol.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3/

----------

My Art for sale! : Here

Latest Recording:Man of the World

Re: Yeah, I like my Pod HD. Then

Tough Stuff

Auriplane, I love the tone you used on "gravitybeans9". What does it take (pedals, filters, EQ, special guitar) to make that exact tone?

I often describe the sound you made as the Anime Guitar sound. I see this was quite an old post but I hope someone has the answer I seek. Playing Nintendo tracks just isn't the same without this magnificent sound.

A good pedal won't make a bad

BigHeadClan

A good pedal won't make a bad amp sound good, personally I'd say get an amp that has great tone first then look at some multi-fx pedals.

Cheers

Multiple fx, from worst to

giovanniac

Multiple fx, from worst to best:
Zoom (cheapers) > Behringer (V- Amp) > POD (HD)/ Boss (GT 10, 100, etc) > Axe FX/ Elevenrack (here in brazil, 7500 dollars, I think in the USA it costs around 2.000, very good but the price...).

My opinion, but I think it's worth to test each one by yourself!

----------

My original songs: https://soundcloud.com/giovanni-caracho

And like BigheadClan said, if

giovanniac

And like BigheadClan said, if your amp sounds awful even without distortion/drive, it will not sound good with a any pedal.

----------

My original songs: https://soundcloud.com/giovanni-caracho

For Gravity Beans, I think it

auriplane

For Gravity Beans, I think it was my Ibanez guitar (S570DXQM) into the Pod HD, with the bridge pickup for the stuff below the 12th fret and neck pickup for the stuff way up past the 12th fret. I don't think I used any pedals or anything like that besides my noise gate.

I think I boosted 440Hz before the amp sim, which gives a more "pure" type of sound when it distorts. You can change the character of any amp a lot simply by using EQ on the signal you send to it. If you do a mid boost before the amp, you get a more pure 80s lead type of sound, and if you do a mid cut before the amp you get a more metal/harsher kind of sound.

I'm not really an expert on guitar tone or anything like that, so you might ask other people how to get your stuff to sound like a particular anime song or such :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: For Gravity Beans, I think it

Tough Stuff

Thank you for the quick reply. I do not have a Pod HD but I do have the option for various pick-up positions on my ESP Ltd F Series guitar. My only way to play is through my stereo using Rocksmith 2014 on Xbox 360. But it has all kinds of amps, EQ options and a Noise Gate. Thank you very much for including so much detail in regards to your settings. I will try to reproduce your tone I love so much with these tips. If I do not succeed, you may hear from me again.