You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #17 - Freedom

soundsandstuff

This one's theme is........ Freedom Theme!

You can make any song you like, as long as it adheres to the following rules:

1. The piece must be an original and new work. No rehashes.
2. The piece must be at least 1 minute in length.
3. Any audio format is acceptable.
4. There is no limitation on style, as long as it is appropriate for the subject matter.
5. You may enter as many pieces as you wish, but must choose one for judging.
6. The end date for this contest is November 26th at 12pm EST. Extensions can be made!
7. You may post your entry early and you may replace or change or edit your entry up until the moment the contest is closed. I will only then listen to the entries for judging.
8. Have fun with it!
9. Give a brief description on your inspiration behind your song and for what kind of video game scenario it is supposed to be for.
10. Have fun with it!

Now go forth my fellows and get tuning! xD

(No subject)

i'll TRY to enter =) nice

hashel

i'll TRY to enter =) nice theme !

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Re: i'll TRY to enter =) nice

soundsandstuff

hehe thanks! i couldn't think of any specific theme so i went the lazy way and made it a free for all by default xDD maybe more people will enter!

oh i was thinking it has to

hashel

oh i was thinking it has to be a Freedom Theme, like the price of freedom^^

----------

Re: oh i was thinking it has to

soundsandstuff

it very well could be if you like! x)

Hey everyone, Don't forget

auriplane

Hey everyone,

Don't forget about Tune Contest!

...as for me, well, I forgot! I'm probably going to ask for an extension since it's so close to DoD, and I'm probably going to be half-assing a DoD entry right before the deadline. :-D

----------

Auriplane!!

Hm, I'll probably need an

kage25130

Hm, I'll probably need an extension as well since I've got nothing at this point. Just been so busy.

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

I actually have an idea for

auriplane

I actually have an idea for it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet :-D

----------

Auriplane!!

hey guys! when would be a

soundsandstuff

hey guys! when would be a good due date? december 5 20xx? i keep frogetting about DoD too xO

ooooooo

bleedingfingers

where do i post it? do i just put it on youtube?

I vote for an extended date!

zen03y

CATFOOD

I vote for an extended date! Just got fired from my job, so I have more time to do these. I NEED to do these anyways. been addicted to Skyrim lately

PS - Finally a theme that isn't rocket science for me!

woop

bleedingfingers

oooohhhh yeeea im nearly done

Re: ooooooo

soundsandstuff

bleedingfingers said

where do i post it? do i just put it on youtube?

you can link to your youtube video right here!

great news people, new due date has been extended to.... December 5 of 2011!

ahoyhoy

Re: ahoyhoy

kage25130

bleedingfingers said

http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/bleedingfingers/contest.mp3

Damn that was tasty!

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

next post picks my theme for

Jacob31593

next post picks my theme for me

Burnt salami

auriplane

Burnt salami

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Burnt salami

Jacob31593

auriplane said

Burnt salami

haste post haste!

Extinguished Ambition A

Jacob31593

Extinguished Ambition

A charred Salami lie upon the barren wasteland, only retaining shattered fragments of his former identity.  The fowl of carrion 

have been coming and going, they know they've found their next meal, but it is not yet time.  This one still has a story to tell, this 

one is not yet ready. 

"Hark, ye who travel so near to my magnificent cinders."

The few adventurers who even knew this route existed were accustomed to many sights at this point.  They had seen chronicles of 

medieval livings, remnants of winters so cold that men were frozen midway through their journeys, battlefields of once great armies and 

heros, and even individuals who found it necessary to air out their beef in broad daylight.  But the musings of a mangled Salami, using 

its final words to pass on the warning of its legendary quest, the holy mission mandated by the stars and the heavens themselves.  This 

they had not yet seen nor would they ever have a chance to see again - this they knew with certainty, and that is why they stopped.  

They stopped and waited, barely even breathing so as not to possibly mishear what was soon to come.  Annals of a once proud sausage; 

confident in his strength, bold and charismatic, intrepidity unopposed by any, undaunted in the face of superior forces, the last 

great pioneer for a world so lost.  

"This I entrust to you, the knowledge and experience acquired at the cost of much strife and hardship.  Take this with you on 

your travels, use it to help all of those you encounter."

A cerulean beam shot upwards from Salami, halting at a height of 12 feet and then splitting into two, forming a screen of light 

shaped like a half-circle.  The group of travelers entered into the mysterious semicycloid and were greeted by the image of a raw 

salami.  Salami had a look of eagerness in his eyes as he stood next to a frying pan sitting on a stove.  

"Finally!" exclaimed Salami.  "I will become a perfectly cooked piece of meat and help all of the poor souls without adequate 

food stores!  I will be able to sit around for up to ten years at room temperature and still be edible!"

"Yes Salami, we will help all of them, now let us not waste any more time! quick, into the pan!"  This voice belonged to an 

older gentleman.  He stood in front of the stove wearing the garb of a food wizard, a large white muffin shaped hat with matching white 

coat and pants.  His jet black hair was just long enough to come out from under the headdress and cover the top of his ears.  An upper-

lip kept warm by a wooly mane of fur that crept around the edges of his mouth.  

"You're right," agreed Salami, "we must not make the people wait any longer."  And on that note he leaped into the pan, rolling 

all the way to the edge where the pan curved up, gently lolling back to the center of the pan and giving one last wobble before coming 

to a stop.  

The delicious diviner turned a knob on the stove until the tick-mark rested between "mid" and "high", words which the meanings 

of have been lost for a millennia.  Soon Salami began to sizzle and crackle, giving rise to a rich aroma that encompassed all of the 

travelers, making their mouth's water and their nostrils widen to gluttonous sizes.  

"Yes...yes, almost ready Salami, but....a small adjustment is needed to the machine"  The prophet of potables again turned the 

knob, this time to a hidden setting that went past "high", this setting was not even labeled, none of the ancient forefathers of the 

device had even conceived of levels so chaotic.  Salami instantly gave birth to a pillar of flame, quickly the casing of his meaty 

insides began to bubble and burst, becoming a shade of black darker than that of the mustache belonging to the necromancer of 

nourishment.  

"WHY!?!?!?" yelled Salami, whose attempt at speech was clearly a labored one.  With the wailings of the sausage that once 

trusted him, the wonton warlock's facial hair began to curl upwards at the sides and an evil french accent emerged as he spat out his 

horrid words one by one.

"Haur haur haur haur" he let out in his vile tongue, hardly meeting the prerequisites of being an acceptable method of 

communication.  "Your peoples will never how your say, eat delicious sausage!  I will doom them to an eternity of eating mollusks, HAUR 

HAUR HAUR HAUR HAUR."

"NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" was the final thing the adventurers heard as the vision slowly faded away 

and they returned to the barren fields they had traveled so many times before.

Salami mustered up the last of his strength and said "Go now adventurers, bring the knowledge of the sausage primer to everyone, 

let them have delicious meats and eat them too, go now, time remains only in scarce amounts."

The adventurers knew they had to spread this divine word before the frenchman could taint the lands with his crustaceous cuisine.  

They started at a sprint and disappeared over the horizon, leaving Salami to face his end alone.  The carcass chomping critters crooned, 

the feast was finally theirs, the succulent flesh of a once great sausage.  Salami made ready for his last great journey.  

Re: Extinguished Ambition A

kage25130

Jacob31593 said

Extinguished Ambition

"Hark, ye who travel so near to my magnificent cinders."

Best quote ever.

Crank that shit up to 11.

----------

Dear HeroI'm sure this won't

srvjimiandkurt

Dear Hero

I'm sure this won't win, but I felt like doing something today. So I pretty much stole The Beatles' "Dear Prudence" riff (I changed it a little) and put a different melody over it (although I try to figure the original melody out somewhere in the middle of the song) and also put a poorly played solo in the middle of it.

As far as how this is a video game song, I'm thinking it's the theme for a meek hero. Or maybe it's a love theme. I don't know. Whatever it sounds like to you, that's what it is.

Lol totaly forgot this

hashel

Lol totaly forgot this xD
Here is a late entry, it's a kind of old stuff i found in the deepest parts of my documents ^^' i was like "oh yhea i did that i remember" ^^'

Hope ?

----------

ugh. You can forget about my

zen03y

CATFOOD

ugh. You can forget about my entry. stupid stomache virus -__-

I might not be able to

auriplane

I might not be able to participate in time, as Comcast is dead and I'm on phone internet (circa 2005--my phone is ancient). Can I have like 1 extra day? XD

----------

Auriplane!!

Fixed it up a little bit

Awesome, we got some more

soundsandstuff

Awesome, we got some more entries up in here! I haven't listened to them yet, but good news for everyone who still wants to enter and just need a couple of more days, the deadline has been extended skyward to

December 8, 2011!

So I'll listen to all the tracks and post the reviews then, and holy carbs Jacob that was one incredibly conceived and written story about the hero of salamis, you've got some serious poetry skills there dude xO

i was in a poem book

Jacob31593

i was in a poem book

Well, I haven't really had

kage25130

Well, I haven't really had the time to work on this much but I'm going to post what I got. I wanted to make another tune in famitracker using only the 2a03 with no expansions (which was much more difficult for me than anticipated). My goal was really just to make something that felt like it could be in an old NES game, but in my opinion it fell short. I might still get a chance to work on it more, but I kinda doubt it.
Press Start

----------

Hey guys! it's time for the

soundsandstuff

Hey guys! it's time for the roundup, and here it is:

Jacob31593 - Extinguished Ambition

the poem that you made along to this midi was an awesome surprise! this song really goes along the story as i went through it in my imagination, the beginning highlighting the desert-like scene and how the salami was doomed, and the part where it changes up and the drums kick in is where i imagine the hero salami being set ablaze, then it goes back to the desert scene feel at the start, like an epic cutscene/flashback, well conceived and put together

srvjimiandkurt - Dear Hero

this one has a really nice nostalgia feel to it, the guitar playing is soothing and i imagine an unsung rpg hero high up top a cliff overlooking a land full of adventure, and i like the chord progression and melody, and also the fade in/fade out volume effects you put at the start and end of the track. don't worry i won't tell the beatles (actually i don't even know what their song sounds like) hehe

hashel - Hope ?

cool intro, smooth jazzy sound to it, and i like the faint sixteenth notes in the back, the lead guitar tone is smooth and the rhythm too, i hear some panning with the instruments as well, and whoa a solo kicks in! that was a nice addition. it made me feel like the first part of the song relates to a character contemplating or doubting hope (hope ?....) and then when the solo comes in its no longer a question and becomes drive and determination, like waking up to something (hope!!!)

bleedingfingers - contest%20mix

oh cool, the guitar effect at the start reminds me a bit of an incubus song, and nice we have drums, bass, and lead and rhythm guitar, very beautiful jazz feel. i'm really liking the chord progression too, all the instruments come together and its very catchy, i can picture this as an actual production on a jazz album. and holy crap that was one incredible solo there, played very well and reminds me of steve vai, you've got some skills there! this one makes me think of a theme for a character in an rpg chilling out in the moonlight

kage25130 - Press Start

famitracker, hell yes! this is totally nostalgic, i'm hearing nes sound effects in my imagination as i listen to it, this can really be placed in an actual game for the title screen. i'm also digging the progression and the variations in the melody, it all flows really well, great job with the composition and use of famitracker on this one

wow you guys didn't make this easy, it was really hard for me to decide but the victor is:

bleedingfingers!

so here we arrive at a crossroads for the next theme, bleedingfingers there are two possibilities:
- you can choose the theme for the next tune contest, including making it a free theme
- you also have the option to bestow the honour upon one of your fellows who submitted an entry for this past contest

so what will it be? the planet is yours!

thanks to everyone for participating, there was great effort put in to the tracks and i enjoyed listening to all of them; there's nothing like the sound of original and inspiring gametabber music, so let's keep making more! xD

I like Kage's :-D

auriplane

I like Kage's :-D

EDIT: Oops, that makes it sound like I DON'T like the others. That's not true--I just haven't heard them yet! Will listen in a bit and maybe post reviews!

----------

Auriplane!!

yaaay

bleedingfingers

thanks soundsandstuff i suppose you want me to pay you that bribe now? =] i jest, I have a few ideas for the next contest, 1 to do with a cute kitten in a tank and another you've just found out your bitch of a wife has been killed by a bear and now you must go and find pamala, when I have decided i shall post it ;]

"it made me feel like the

hashel

"it made me feel like the first part of the song relates to a character contemplating or doubting hope (hope ?....) and then when the solo comes in its no longer a question and becomes drive and determination, like waking up to something (hope!!!)"

You totaly got it man ^^ glad those feelings were in the song ^^

----------