You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #16 - Tune in a Picture

kage25130

Well, I've been trying to think of a theme that would encourage newcomers and forum vets alike yet still be challenging. Therefore, Tune Contest 16 will be called:

Tune in a Picture

Choose any picture(s) from the list here:
Google Image Search
Try to find a picture that inspires your creativity. Make a tune that encompasses the spirit, idea, interpreted meaning, etc. of the picture you choose! Let creativity flow as the picture should not completely dictate the outcome of the song, just help mold it toward your interpretation. If this list of pictures doesn't work for everyone (I've looked through them and came up with several ideas) the rules may be changed to include any picture.
Post the pic that you choose, a description of your tune and its relationship to the picture, and of course your tune!

Rules copy/pasted from kabukibear's contest (which by now should be etched in stone):

• 1. The piece must be an original and new work. No rehashes.
  • 2. The piece must be at least 1 minute in length.
  • 3. Any audio format is acceptable.
  • 4. There is no limitation on style, as long as it is appropriate for the subject matter.
  • 5. You may enter as many pieces as you wish, but must choose one for judging.
  • 6. The end date for this contest is November 10th at 12pm EST.
  • 7. You may post your entry early and you may replace or change or edit your entry up until the moment the contest is closed. I will only then listen to the entries for judging.
  • 8. Have fun with it!

Good luck!
And please try to get as many people involved as possible!

This pictures is giving me

TrangOul

Insomaniac

This pictures is giving me some cruel, cruel ideas for a song.

This one

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

This one reminds me of some art in this Graves at Sea vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA5CQCX8JVI
I'm going to look for some recording equipment and join the fun this time.
my contest pic.jpg

Example

kage25130

Here's a very short and laughable tune I made for this pic (not one of the listed):

Example

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

I really want to do an

srvjimiandkurt

I really want to do an autotune song for the picture with T-Pain. I'm gonna figure some way to do that with my guitar.

Awesome ideas everyone! I'm

kage25130

Awesome ideas everyone! I'm glad people are finding ideas easily enough. I was hoping it would open doors to all kinds of different styles and perspectives. Cant wait to hear them all!

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Re: I really want to do an

musenji

srvjimiandkurt said

I really want to do an autotune song for the picture with T-Pain. I'm gonna figure some way to do that with my guitar.

You're going to learn how to hammer-on and pull off?

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Hmmm, I guess it is that

srvjimiandkurt

Hmmm, I guess it is that simple.

(No subject)

I was waiting for that!

kage25130

I was waiting for that! Awesome!!

----------

why?

Ragna1999

why all links here with .wav or mp3 dont load?error D=

=(

kage25130

Hm, not sure about that. I'd ask auriplane. She's the go to snail on such matters.

----------

Not sure how

iamHoustonian

Hello peeps. I finished my first contest entry!! ;-D
I'm not quite sure how to post my vid directly to this page but I made a youtube vid for it.
I made it with a Line6(spiderII) 15 watt amp, no pedals just the crunch setting. HAHA =^.^=
My Entry

Working on it

kenor

The Cardsharp

Working on it

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

For this picture:I guess

srvjimiandkurt

Couldn't get the autotune thing to work like I wanted, so

For this picture:

I guess the song is kind of like a battle or boss theme for a Power Rangers game. I was gonna record this with guitar, but it sounded very muddled when I tried to. So here's my first attempt at 8-bit sound:

Grapes

I'm game

SalemJenet

I'm game

kage, i guess the error is in my pc

Ragna1999

cant listen...that error must be here mhm, a lot of sites dont load more in my computer o_o

Thanks for putting the

auriplane

Thanks for putting the deadline out as far as you did, BTW :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Hehe no problem, I really

kage25130

Hehe no problem, I really tried to pick a theme and deadline that would maximize everyone's chance to participate.

----------

Hey guys here's my entry! i

soundsandstuff

Hey guys here's my entry! i made it to the picture below hehe

Tune in a Pikature

Oh, now that Pikachu picture

hslesperance

Oh, now that Pikachu drawing makes sense!

Good song, but I would have expected a violin...

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Bump for great justice!

auriplane

Bump for great justice!

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Oh, now that Pikachu picture

soundsandstuff

Thanks dude! Hehe yep, that's the picture where i got the inspiration from, and i'm updating my entry with an idea that you gave me, here it is:

Tune in a Pikature 2

bump for great hamburgers! xD

LOL thats such a badass

kage25130

LOL thats such a badass picture!
Can't wait to hear them all, I'm waiting till like the night before to listen. The downside of this theme is that I can't really randomize the entries...

----------

I'll resubmit my entry with my description but...

iamHoustonian

I'll resubmit my entry with my description but can it be in video form or do I need to convert it to mp3?

I have my song in wav format

iamHoustonian

I have my song in wav format. Is there a way to convert to mp3?

If not I can just zip it I suppose.

iamHoustonian

If not I can just zip it I suppose. hehe brain fart

Re: I'll resubmit my entry with my description but...

kage25130

iamHoustonian said

I'll resubmit my entry with my description but can it be in video form or do I need to convert it to mp3?

It can be either format. I usually dropbox mine, never really thought of zipping them lol.

----------

Yeah, get an MP3 encoder.

auriplane

Yeah, get an MP3 encoder. There's plenty of free ones. Check out LAME. (WAV files don't zip well.)

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: LOL thats such a badass

soundsandstuff

Hehe yep! are you going to enter this one??

Been mad busy with work

iamHoustonian

Been mad busy with work last week so here's another link to my entry.
Spontaneous Shrunken Head
Description: Part 1 - Time slows as you're trapped in the mysterious wonderment when finding a shrunken head;
Part 2 - The malignant forces of the shrunken head are unleashed. The conjured power freezes you as it floats up to your eye level, looking for something deep within; Part 3 - Your soul has been sucked through your eyes, shrinking your head in the process. Now it's just you and the shrunken head laying in the jungle, FORGOTTEN, waiting for another soul to dine on.

Whoops, forgot about this.

auriplane

Whoops, forgot about this. And now I'm sick, so I'm not going to do an entry T_T

----------

Auriplane!!

Judging tomorrow morning...

kage25130

Sorry to hear you're sick auriplane, hope you feel better.

----------

Results!

kage25130

And the Results:

iamHoustonian: Awesome piece, man! The tune really fits the picture, creepy and sad and tortured. The tempo changes also add to the emotion, which is really nice and kinda puts me in mind of Maiden in that respect. Great job, man!

srvjimiandkurt: Hey, some 8bit! Good job with your first run with famitracker, awesome tune. It does make me think of a Power Rangers game, smacking around putties with the pink ranger cause she's so frickin hot. Also, I love grapes.

soundsandstuff: Great stuff once again! Really sweet and mellow tune. Love the violin effect you used in the second one. I think of all the entries, this one evokes the most emotion related to the picture. So, that being said....

The winner is soundsandstuff!

Excellent tunes, everyone. Keep up the good work!

----------

Re: Results!

soundsandstuff

woohoo!! i'm honoured, thanks kage, i put a lot of effort into it, and great job by all the participants, srvjimiandkurt your power rangers song was really rockin, i can imagine it playing in a power rangers battle. iamHoustonian your song was really creepy, made me feel like that skull in the picture was going to start moving any second, cool stuff guys.

so lets keep this party rolling! i'll post the theme for the next contest as soon as i can think of one, hopefully by later tonight, stay tuned dudes! :O:!!!

Mission success!

iamHoustonian

Mission success! Glad to hear I nailed it with the creepiness haha. That Pikachu drawing is hilarious when seeing your inspiration behind it =^.^=
Cool Beans

Re: Mission success!

soundsandstuff

hehe thanks dude, i'm still trying to think of a good theme hmmmm

hurry up, do not disappoint

Jacob31593

hurry up, do not disappoint me

i'm still thinking!!

soundsandstuff

i'm still thinking!!

hey guys, in case anyone

soundsandstuff

hey guys, in case anyone wants it here's the gp5 of the song i made for this theme:

.gp5

and also the mp3:

.mp3

enjoy! x)

Re: hey guys, in case anyone

kage25130

soundsandstuff said

hey guys, in case anyone wants it here's the gp5 of the song i made for this theme:

.gp5

and also the mp3:

.mp3

enjoy! x)

Awesome! THanks technodrone.

----------