You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #15 - Negativity

kenor

The Cardsharp

Hey guys! Since soundsandstuff let me choose the next theme, I hereby declare it

NEGATIVITY

What does that mean? Make a theme representing anything dark or negative! Some ideas:

• make a song depicting a negative feeling or emotion (sadness, depression, fear, anger, pain, etc.)
  • make a general horror/gloomy/dark theme
  • "evil things happening" theme
  • anything that will make the listener feel uncomfortable

A little despription of what you tried to describe would be nice.

Contest rules cut and pasted from previous contest:

1. The piece must be an original and new work. No rehashes.
  2. The piece must be at least 1 minute in length.
  3. Any audio format is acceptable. MIDIs are allowed.
  4. There is no limitation on style, as long as it is appropriate for the subject matter.
  5. You may enter as many pieces as you wish, but must choose one for judging.
  6. The end date for this contest is October 23rd at noon PST.
  7. You may post your entry early and you may replace or change or edit your entry up until the moment the contest is closed. I will only then listen to the entries for judging.
  8. Have fun with it!

P.S. Looking forward to soundsandstuff's contest art ;D

Let's Go

afonso_teles

That's me

I'm game!

And i've already got the general idea for my submission...

----------

Me likes shtuff...

Nice choice of topic Kenor! I

soundsandstuff

Nice choice of topic Kenor! I have an idea for the banner/graphic I'm going to try and have it up asap hehe

(No subject)

Nooooo!! Baby metroid ;_;

auriplane

Nooooo!! Baby metroid ;_;

----------

Auriplane!!

LOL sweeeeeeet!

kage25130

LOL sweeeeeeet!

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Re: Nooooo!! Baby metroid ;_;

soundsandstuff

x'( !!!

Re: LOL sweeeeeeet!

soundsandstuff

hehe thanks dude!

So excited about this

kage25130

So excited about this one!
Great theme, kenor. Can't wait to hear everyone's take on this.
And I'm definitely in. Of course.
Can anyone say 8bit??

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Re: So excited about this

auriplane

kage25130 said

Can anyone say 8bit??

:-D

----------

Auriplane!!

Oh yea, guns blazing this

kage25130

Oh yea, guns blazing this time!

----------

We can't let this Tune

auriplane

We can't let this Tune Contest fall off the front page for too long!! I'm convinced that the reason no one entered Kabuki's contest is because it fell down the list of latest posts, and well, out of sight, out of mind. We can't let this tragedy happen again!!!!!!

The people have spoken, Lazlow. And they have said, "NO! Not in my town!"

NEGATIVITY

----------

Auriplane!!

Supporting the tune challenge

iamHoustonian

You don’t need to see my identification…

Responded to a few comments so I'm just trying to get this post back to the top.
Good luck! Can't wait to hear some entries.

No submisions yet? I am

kenor

The Cardsharp

No submisions yet? I am disappoint

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

Unsettling mood is difficult

iamHoustonian

I've been plucking around with my guitar to create something eerie. It seems all I can accomplish are off-timing spazcore stuff or something that sounds like it's from another song. hehe =^.^=

Here's a submission. I'm not

srvjimiandkurt

Here's a submission. I'm not too happy with it. I'm thinking maybe it'd fit in when the bad guy is on screen and has just killed a bunch of people. Or maybe like an alternative theme for Kefka. I don't know.

NegativLand

*bump*

kenor

The Cardsharp

*bump*

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

I have composed most of my

afonso_teles

That's me

I have composed most of my submission, but i'm very busy so I will only be able to put it on midi/record it around sunday... so, about that extension :-)...

----------

Me likes shtuff...

^Your mouth got cut off...

hslesperance

^

heh, Your mouth got cut off...

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Or maybe I'm drooling xD

afonso_teles

That's me

Or maybe I'm drooling xD

----------

Me likes shtuff...

Ok, extended to next sunday

kenor

The Cardsharp

Ok, extended to next sunday

----------

Awesome!! :-D

auriplane

Awesome!! :-D

----------

Auriplane!!

Hm... Hey soundsandstuff, do

kage25130

Hm... Hey soundsandstuff, do you still have that sample I uploaded to my dropbox? Or remember my dropbox addy? I'm away from the laptop that I used to make it and I'm not sure if Im EVER going back there to access it... I was happy with that one too, dammit. Maybe jam still has a copy of it, I dont know. If you get a chance, ask him. Not sure when I'll be able to get back on irc either. So depressing.
Hopefully I can get this all sorted out by the new extended deadline, was looking foward to some CC...

----------

Well, I found the .WAV file I

kage25130

Well, I found the .WAV file I made about halfway through on my dropbox.... but since its wav I dont think I'll be able to load it with famitracker and edit it....ARRRGH! The volume's way off, it's before i tweaked all the instruments AND before I added drums! Now what am I gonna do? lol If I can find the time, I'll download famitracker here and start from scratch using the wav as a guide.

----------

I wrote this. I might write

auriplane

I wrote this. I might write something else before the deadline to use instead, but otherwise I guess this is my entry :-)

Auriplane - Tune Contest Entry - Game Over

----------

Auriplane!!

What program(s) do you guys

srvjimiandkurt

What program(s) do you guys use to get the midi sounds (like the one auriplane's submission has)? I want to make stuff that sounds like it's from those kind of video games.

I made it with Famitracker.

auriplane

I made it with Famitracker. Famitracker makes music that you can play on a physical NES, if you have the cartridge for it.

----------

Auriplane!!

Is there a way to make those

srvjimiandkurt

Is there a way to make those sounds in a program similar to Guitar Pro, or something like that?

I don't think you can get the

hslesperance

I don't think you can get the 8-bit sounds with guitarpro, but in the instruments list under synth leads, I use square wave, sawtooth wave, and bass + lead when making NES tabs like the midi for this

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Re: Hm... Hey soundsandstuff, do

soundsandstuff

kage25130 said

Hm... Hey soundsandstuff, do you still have that sample I uploaded to my dropbox? Or remember my dropbox addy?

hey dude, was it this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38441591/8bitdark.wav

actually i think it was this

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38441591/branch2.wav

was it?

Hehe, yes thats it! Gotta

kage25130

Hehe, yes thats it! Gotta download famitracker where Im at now and redo the whole thing by ear/memory.
So I'll still have my entry ready after all, just have to change my base of operations.

Room for one more in the technically advanced mobile ninja crime syndicate headquarters? ;p

----------

Bump!!

auriplane

Bump!!

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: I wrote this. I might write

soundsandstuff

Niice! looks like there's still a couple of days left, i can still make it! procrastination!

I should be able to finish

kage25130

I should be able to finish today, thanks to soundsandstuff. Should be submitting later today.

----------

Hm...here goes

kage25130

Well, I'm not really happy with it, but here is my submission.
Despair
I may make changes to it, but probably not...

----------

Cool!

auriplane

Cool!

----------

Auriplane!!

Thanks! Yours is really cool

kage25130

Thanks! Yours is really cool too!

----------

That's a tight song!

iamHoustonian

You may have just 8 bit off the head of this contest with that entry dude! XD

Thanks dude!

kage25130

Hehe thanks, glad you like it. Looking foward to some CC on this one, I had a lot of fun making it!

----------

Whew, i'm done recording my

afonso_teles

That's me

Whew, i'm done recording my submission. Now all it needs is a little editting. So, in an hour or so, I'll submit it.

----------

Me likes shtuff...

Here it is: Prelude nº1

afonso_teles

That's me

Here it is: Prelude nº1

----------

Me likes shtuff...

couple of hours left!

kenor

The Cardsharp

couple of hours left!

----------

Re: Here it is: Prelude nº1

kage25130

Afonso! That was beautiful!!!

----------

Final resultssrvjimiandkurt

kenor

The Cardsharp

Final results

srvjimiandkurt - NegativLand: Definitely a bad guy theme. I liked the gloomy, shady atmosphere, the minimalistic instrumentalization kind of adds to it. The vibrato climax of the middle part sounds perfectly filthy to me.

auriplane - Game Over: I am sorry, but I hate this one. It totally reminds me of that old game gameover feeling when you have to restore an old save over and over again to overcome a major obstace and you get that depressive "you failed" screen with THIS music each and every time. That means positive points for you.

kage25130 - Despair: Very dynamic and emotional piece! I think it captures the desperate inner rage and chaos perfectly. There is really not much to say, the song says it all for me!

afonso_teles - Prelude nº1: This reminds of Francisco Tárrega / Agustín Barrios so much! Doesn't sound negative at all which made me listen to it more and try to find the evil deeper. Maybe it's a sad nostalgic memory, maybe a feeling of regret over past events? In any case, it's very subtle.

This decision is so tough to make! Each of the compositions has its unique style and theme. After several re-listenings, I decided that the winner should be: kage25130

Congrats to the winner, looking forward to next contest!

----------

Congrats to Kage! Keep the

afonso_teles

That's me

Congrats to Kage! Keep the contests coming!

----------

Me likes shtuff...

WhooHoo! Thanks kenor, I'm

kage25130

WhooHoo! Thanks kenor, I'm glad you liked the tune! More great entries this go around, good job everyone! I guess I have to come up with another fun theme for our next contest, so I'll be giving it a lot of thought today and should have one picked out later tonight. Lets try to get more people involved! I'll try to think of a theme that is beginner friendly and as open to interpretation as possible. The more the merrier!

----------

Disregard this post.

srvjimiandkurt

Thanks for the comments.

Ahhh i over procrastinated,

soundsandstuff

Ahhh i over procrastinated, oops, crap, but congratulations to kage and all the participators!! :Ô:!

all great pieces! good job

jit

all great pieces! good job everybody

What's nextt?

srvjimiandkurt

What's nextt?

Can anyone help me with

StiGGe

Can anyone help me with Famitracker?

i cant get the instruments right, no drums no guitar only piano:S:S:S?

no other normal program out there to download?

----------

StiGGe