You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #14 - WAR and PEACE

auriplane

Okay, so Tune Contest 13 didn't pan out. I'm convinced Kabuki had a great topic, but we just forgot because the topic wasn't bumped and, well, out of sight, out of mind! So that sucks, but someone asked for another one already, so I stole the chance to start one up from Turtles.

WAR and PEACE

I wanted to do a battle theme contest, but that was max_depa's theme. So I figured, why not change it up by allowing two themes:

Make a PEACEFUL, TRANQUIL theme.

Or, if you prefer, make a FIERCE BATTLE theme.

Which kind of theme will win??? Who knows!?

Contest rules cut and pasted from Kabuki's contest:

1. The piece must be an original and new work. No rehashes.
2. The piece must be at least 1 minute in length.
3. Any audio format is acceptable. MIDIs are allowed.
4. There is no limitation on style, as long as it is appropriate for the subject matter.
5. You may enter as many pieces as you wish, but must choose one for judging.
6. The end date for this contest is October 5th at noon PST.
7. You may post your entry early and you may replace or change or edit your entry up until the moment the contest is closed. I will only then listen to the entries for judging.
8. Have fun with it!

UPDATE: Extended to OCTOBER 5TH

Re: Tune Contest 14 - WAR and PEACE

soundsandstuff

yyyyyeeeah!!! can we do BOTH in one song??

Uh.. OKAY

auriplane

Uh... OKAY! Go for it! ;-)

----------

Auriplane!!

(No subject)

soundsandstuff ~ official

hslesperance

I declare

soundsandstuff ~ official tune contest artist

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Re: soundsandstuff ~ official

soundsandstuff

Woohoo!!! thanks dude !xD

That art is awesome XD

auriplane

That art is awesome XD

----------

Auriplane!!

October 1st?? Better get

kage25130

October 1st??

Better get busy...missed the last deadline but submitted unfinished entry anyways. Hopefully will be able to finish this one...

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Eh, we can push it out if

auriplane

Eh, we can push it out if people are busy :-D

----------

Auriplane!!

NO!

kage25130

lol, i for one work best under pressure. auri, i'd very much appreciate any commentary on my last entry, albeit late

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Mine: submission

kenor

The Cardsharp

Mine: submission

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

that was sick kenor! u got

jit

that was sick kenor! u got talent man

Thanks jit! although I am not

kenor

The Cardsharp

Thanks jit! although I am not very satisfied with it, hope you'll take part in this contest as well

----------

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth - it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

Once again, fuck school

zen03y

CATFOOD

Once again, fuck school

what zen03y said. I don't

hslesperance

what zen03y said. I don't think I'll have time for this contest

Here's a short, peaceful song I already wrote. It's not an offical submission

Lakeside

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

Re: That art is awesome XD

soundsandstuff

auriplane said

That art is awesome XD

Thanks!!! and here's my entry:

War No Peace

Here's my best impression of

srvjimiandkurt

Here's my impression of Nobuo Uematsu.

Peace-San

How bout it?

kage25130

So...about that extension?

----------

Got a new deadline in mind?

auriplane

Got a new deadline in mind? :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Hm...

kage25130

Maybe just a few days extension?

----------

Extended to WEDNESDAY,

auriplane

Extended to WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 5TH!

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: NO!

auriplane

kage25130 said

lol, i for one work best under pressure. auri, i'd very much appreciate any commentary on my last entry, albeit late

Oh, I didn't see this. Well, I'll have to listen later myself, but I thought I'd quote it in case other people missed your late entry into the last contest! Bump :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: NO!

kage25130

Heh...had to bring up the 'work best under pressure' thing, huh? hehehe
Yeah, that last one isn't really finished but I might go back and work on it at some point. I like some elements of it anyways.
The one for this contest is actually 90% done, but I feel like it could be 100% better. Everytime I sit down and start tweaking it gets easier to listen to.

----------

*phew*

kage25130

As soon as I read the theme, I knew I was gonna be using bagpipes. So here it is,
Ephemeral Peace
The feeling is meant to be one of peace in the absence of war for a very warlike culture.

----------

Woo hoo! And two days to go!

auriplane

Woo hoo! And two days to go!

----------

Auriplane!!

=)

kage25130

=) thanks for the extension. That is drastically different from what I had a couple days ago.

----------

My composition.

afonso_teles

That's me

My submission

It beggins with a tense but peacefull introduction, with middle-eastern sonorities. Then the battle beggins. Its not exactly a fierce battle, but a battle of cunning and strategy. Then it ends on a moment of despair!!

Wow, that sounded a lot more epic than it actually is... but i'll leave that to auri's judgment ;-).

----------

Me likes shtuff...

TC14: TOURNAMENT

auriplane

TC14: TOURNAMENT FIGHTERS

ROUND ONE: bkgvushgukl vs mgawirg

bkgvushgukl.mid: The combination of instruments here is NOT what I was expecting, but I really like it! The harmony is great, and really satisfying, especially when you hit the E. I listened about five times :-D If I tried to come up with criticism, I'd say the song could be longer, but it's good as a short piece too. Honestly, this is pretty nice!

mgawirg.mid: Nice use of intentional dissonance, which gives it a jazzy feel. Lots of sus2 and add9. It's got a nice progression to it, too, but I think bkgvushgukl grabs me a bit more. This is nice and mellow, and the G-D-G-D melody works well. This entry is very short, though--technically too short to be an entry, though that's really more of a guideline than a rule. Although I like the harmony and melody both, because it's so short, it doesn't really build very much. I think it would benefit from a longer treatment.

I have to give this round to bkgvushgukl. Even though it's also a short piece, it's more dynamic and moves me more in the short time we had together.

ROUND TWO: bkagsrgkwr vs hgawrlghawrl

bkagsrgkwr: Aw! I like this a lot. It's gentle and tranquil. The chords don't always go where your ear expects, which is interesting. The ending was a little abrupt, though. It felt like it was missing a final x325xx or x355xx chord. It's a nice recording, and I could quibble about audio quality (there's a little buzzing in the background) but it doesn't really detract from the recording--the emotion shines through, and it doesn't care about stuff like buzzing. The performance is pretty good, but the off rhythm at 1:11 does jar me out of it for a moment. Did you play this very quietly?

hgawrlghawrl: War! This is the fourth piece I'm listening to, and the first war one. Oh man, I'm digging this one. I can't believe I have to choose which entries are better than others. This song's dynamic, both in the literal sense (loud and quiet) and in the sense that it's not static, it's changing. The war theme suits it well, building up a lot of tension, and that tension really grabs me. It reminds me a bit of Warcraft 2, though it sounds more cinematic than that, almost like it tells a story. At the beginning, I hear the start of a battle, and it increases in intensity until the end, where I can hear the aftermath of the battle. Very nice.

Whew, I like bkagsrgkwr, but hgawrlghawrl is really good. I'm going to have to give this round to hgawrlghawrl.

ROUND THREE: zhkeguhkze vs kwrahgawrk

zhkeguhkze: Hey, rock! That's a pleasant contrast to all of the other entries so far. Or metal, if you like. Rar!!! Aw, it's over. That was pretty cool, but short. Like some of the other entries, I think it could have benefitted from being longer. If you ever work this into a full song, you should definitely post it. I really like the E5/F. The guitar is cool XD! I listened a bunch of times, but I don't have much to say in the way of criticism, other than wishing it were longer.

kwrahgawrk: Oh man, the harmony in this is cool. What the? Haha, I wasn't expecting the jazzy part at all. Actually, this song changes so much, I don't think I can really claim to have been expecting anything in it. It's pretty cool :-D Haha, the ending. I'm listening again and playing along on guitar. The intro is really great. What I love is, the instrumentation totally changes around 45 seconds in, but it still feels like the same song the instant you hear the distinctive scale (sounds like a mode of harmonic minor?). The second half DOES feel pretty different to me, but it's a pleasant contrast. I do think I enjoy the first half more.

Both of these were really fun to listen to :-D zhkeguhkze has really cool guitar stuff and higher audio quality overall, which makes me want to vote for it, BUT kwrahgawrk feels more creative to me. zhkeguhkze also gets points for fitting the theme a little better, I think. Crap, this is hard. I have to vote for zhkeguhkze, I think. Its intensity screams out "WAR!".

ROUND FOUR: bye vs bye

Hmm, both of these songs seem about the same quality. So I'll flip a coin and--ooh, bye won!

ROUND FIVE: bkgvushgukl vs hgawrlghawrl

Okay, it's back to my old friend, bkgvushgukl. Ahh, the harmony in this is so cool! But how will it fare against warlike hgawrlghawrl? Aw, crap. I'm sorry, bkgvushgukl. I love your track, but this war is kicking my butt. I have to vote for it.

Round five goes to hgawrlghawrl!

ROUND SIX: zhkeguhkze vs bye

zkheguhkze gets a bye and advances to the finals!

ROUND SEVEN: hgawrlghawrl vs zhkeguhkze

Crap! Two tracks, both kicking my butt. My poor butt! zhkeguhkze kicks pretty hard, though. Even though I wish it were longer, I think it's pretty awesome. The winner is zhkeguhkze!!

FINAL RESULTS:

1. First place: zhkeguhkze - War no Peace by soundsandstuff
  2. Second place: hgawrlghawrl - contest14.mp3 by kenor
  3. Third place: bkgvushgukl - Ephemeral Peace by kage25130
Translation key:
mgawirg          Lakeside by hslesperance - not a real entry
bkagsrgkwr       Peace-San by srvjimiandkurt
kwrahgawrk       Submission.mp3 by afonso_teles
hgawrlghawrl     contest14.mp3 by kenor
bkgvushgukl      Ephemeral Peace by kage25130
zhkeguhkze       War no Peace by soundsandstuff

In an attempt to make the results less biased, I changed all the filenames to random keyboard mashings so I wouldn't know who did what. I decided to search & replace and fix it in a second reply :-) I'm leaving this post like this, because I think it's amusing.

----------

Auriplane!!

FIXED TITLE REVIEWSROUND

auriplane

FIXED TITLE REVIEWS

ROUND ONE: Ephemeral Peace by kage25130 vs Lakeside by hslesperance

Ephemeral Peace by kage25130: The combination of instruments here is NOT what I was expecting, but I really like it! The harmony is great, and really satisfying, especially when you hit the E. I listened about five times :-D If I tried to come up with criticism, I'd say the song could be longer, but it's good as a short piece too. Honestly, this is pretty nice!

Lakeside by hslesperance: Nice use of intentional dissonance, which gives it a jazzy feel. Lots of sus2 and add9. It's got a nice progression to it, too, but I think Ephemeral Peace by kage25130 grabs me a bit more. This is nice and mellow, and the G-D-G-D melody works well. This entry is very short, though--technically too short to be an entry, though that's really more of a guideline than a rule. Although I like the harmony and melody both, because it's so short, it doesn't really build very much. I think it would benefit from a longer treatment.

I have to give this round to Ephemeral Peace by kage25130. Even though it's also a short piece, it's more dynamic and moves me more in the short time we had together.

ROUND TWO: Peace-San by srvjimiandkurt vs contest14.mp3 by kenor

Peace-San by srvjimiandkurt: Aw! I like this a lot. It's gentle and tranquil. The chords don't always go where your ear expects, which is interesting. The ending was a little abrupt, though. It felt like it was missing a final x325xx or x355xx chord. It's a nice recording, and I could quibble about audio quality (there's a little buzzing in the background) but it doesn't really detract from the recording--the emotion shines through, and it doesn't care about stuff like buzzing. The performance is pretty good, but the off rhythm at 1:11 does jar me out of it for a moment. Did you play this very quietly?

contest14.mp3 by kenor: War! This is the fourth piece I'm listening to, and the first war one. Oh man, I'm digging this one. I can't believe I have to choose which entries are better than others. This song's dynamic, both in the literal sense (loud and quiet) and in the sense that it's not static, it's changing. The war theme suits it well, building up a lot of tension, and that tension really grabs me. It reminds me a bit of Warcraft 2, though it sounds more cinematic than that, almost like it tells a story. At the beginning, I hear the start of a battle, and it increases in intensity until the end, where I can hear the aftermath of the battle. Very nice.

Whew, I like Peace-San by srvjimiandkurt, but contest14.mp3 by kenor is really good. I'm going to have to give this round to contest14.mp3 by kenor.

ROUND THREE: War no Peace by soundsandstuff vs Submission.mp3 by afonso_teles

War no Peace by soundsandstuff: Hey, rock! That's a pleasant contrast to all of the other entries so far. Or metal, if you like. Rar!!! Aw, it's over. That was pretty cool, but short. Like some of the other entries, I think it could have benefitted from being longer. If you ever work this into a full song, you should definitely post it. I really like the E5/F. The guitar is cool XD! I listened a bunch of times, but I don't have much to say in the way of criticism, other than wishing it were longer.

Submission.mp3 by afonso_teles: Oh man, the harmony in this is cool. What the? Haha, I wasn't expecting the jazzy part at all. Actually, this song changes so much, I don't think I can really claim to have been expecting anything in it. It's pretty cool :-D Haha, the ending. I'm listening again and playing along on guitar. The intro is really great. What I love is, the instrumentation totally changes around 45 seconds in, but it still feels like the same song the instant you hear the distinctive scale (sounds like a mode of harmonic minor?). The second half DOES feel pretty different to me, but it's a pleasant contrast. I do think I enjoy the first half more.

Both of these were really fun to listen to :-D War no Peace by soundsandstuff has really cool guitar stuff and higher audio quality overall, which makes me want to vote for it, BUT Submission.mp3 by afonso_teles feels more creative to me. War no Peace by soundsandstuff also gets points for fitting the theme a little better, I think. Crap, this is hard. I have to vote for War no Peace by soundsandstuff, I think. Its intensity screams out "WAR!".

ROUND FOUR: bye vs bye

Hmm, both of these songs seem about the same quality. So I'll flip a coin and--ooh, bye won!

ROUND FIVE: Ephemeral Peace by kage25130 vs contest14.mp3 by kenor

Okay, it's back to my old friend, Ephemeral Peace by kage25130. Ahh, the harmony in this is so cool! But how will it fare against warlike contest14.mp3 by kenor? Aw, crap. I'm sorry, Ephemeral Peace by kage25130. I love your track, but this war is kicking my butt. I have to vote for it.

Round five goes to contest14.mp3 by kenor!

ROUND SIX: War no Peace by soundsandstuff vs bye

War no Peace by soundsandstuff gets a bye and advances to the finals!

ROUND SEVEN: contest14.mp3 by kenor vs War no Peace by soundsandstuff

Crap! Two tracks, both kicking my butt. My poor butt! War no Peace by soundsandstuff kicks pretty hard, though. Even though I wish it were longer, I think it's pretty awesome. The winner is War no Peace by soundsandstuff!!

FINAL RESULTS:

1. First place: War no Peace by soundsandstuff
  2. Second place: contest14.mp3 by kenor
  3. Third place: Ephemeral Peace by kage25130
----------

Auriplane!!

If soundsandstuff declines

auriplane

If soundsandstuff declines the Tunecontestship again, then the next contest will be run by kenor. If kenor declines, it will be run by kage25130! If kage25130 declines, the sun will go nova and Tifa will turn into a frog.

----------

Auriplane!!

WooHoo!

kage25130

WooHoo! Congrats, technodrone!! Awesome entries this contest, great job everyone!
I wonder what mayhem the next contest will bring??
Where will it take us??
What will we learn???

The suspense is killing me!

----------

'Preciate the comments.

srvjimiandkurt

'Preciate the comments.

I liked your entry :-D I

auriplane

I liked your entry :-D I didn't know who was doing any of them when I wrote the comments. I should go back and check the thread for what people said about their own songs--I mostly didn't read them, on the theory that it would mess up the anonymization in my head.

----------

Auriplane!!

Oh, and thanks everybody for

auriplane

Oh, and thanks everybody for entering!!

----------

Auriplane!!

Hey guys!! Wow I actually won

soundsandstuff

Hey guys!! Wow I actually won haha, I don't know what to say, I'm truly honored, thank you! This was a close one, I listened to all the entries and you guys had some really creative and inspiring compositions, so thanks to all the participants for another successful round of tuneship! Many thanks to Auriplane for facilitating the reviews, you give really excellent feedback and pointers on all the songs, it is truly appreciated! :O:!!!

So since I can't think of a topic I'm going to let Kenor run the theme for the next one! What's it going to be? The suspense thickens...hehe

Wow, second place, that's

kenor

The Cardsharp

Wow, second place, that's better than I've hoped for, thank's auri! I think the entries in this contest were the best so far and I enjoyed listening to every single of them. Congrats to soundandstuff and thank you for the honor of choosing the next topic - I'll come up with something really soon.

----------