You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Has anyone ever insulted your choice to play VGM? - page 2

has anyone ever thought about

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

has anyone ever thought about the name butterfly?

it makes no sense. they should be flutterbys

they dont butter fly, they flutter by

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

No, I've never thought about

auriplane

No, I've never thought about it. I just looked it up, though.

----------

Auriplane!!

Haters gonna hate, it did win

BacardiBreezer

My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up!

Haters gonna hate, it did win Best Picture, Best Actress, among others. Jodie Foster has a lot of talent.

Re: No, I've never thought about

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

huh.

that was oddly evoking.

btw, that strawberry banana moth is too funky. i mean funky, like old school funk. pimp moth.

----------

"i seem to be find a lot that apparently dont contain the .exe actually" -Anonymous

"Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to look more like?" -Pherioxus

I didn't say it was a bad

auriplane

I didn't say it was a bad movie. The whole genre just doesn't do it for me.

Here's another pimp moth: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2975632162/in/[email protected]/

Red and black moth: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3559620033/in/[email protected]/

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: I didn't say it was a bad

Jacob31593

perm!

Re: New favorite

kage25130

wayfaerer said

i just realized what you were talking about mate!

and youre right, thats intense.

is that actually the intended use for its coloring like that? i can scarcely see it as camouflage, but maybe.

awesome defense mechanism either way.

EDIT: ^^ that or it looks like a furby on shrooms!

Hm, not sure about the red color, but the yellow and black mimics the eyes of an owl.

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

well. this thread has been

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

well. this thread has been effectively derailed--from discouragement regarding VGM to moths.

i shall try to rectify this.

ill direct this question at bacardi, since i feel bad about playing part in digressing her thread, which really is a worthwhile one.

bacardi, what IS your VGM of choice?

----------

Question

michiro

But will it Blend?

But I like moths!

auriplane

But I like moths!

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: But I like moths!

michiro

auriplane said

But I like moths!

Got no problem with Moths (unless they eat through my clothes), just hate mosquitoes and flies.

Re: But I like moths!

Jacob31593

moths dont eat clothes silly, their larvae do!

Interesting

michiro

That explains why I've never seen a Moth eat anything. Moths leave a lot of Powder though, so there >:)

Re: Interesting

Jacob31593

D:

Moths don't eat clothes too

auriplane

Moths don't eat clothes too much these days, since they eschew synthetics and prefer animal fibers to plant fibers. They'll eat your wool if you have any, though :-D

----------

Auriplane!!

Sounds Kinky

michiro

If I have lots of wool laying around, it'll attract moths?

I donno. Maybe :-D I don't

auriplane

I donno. Maybe :-D I don't have any experience with moth baiting.

I read online that some people with pet moths feed them wool sweaters :-D

EDIT: Though as Jacob pointed out, I guess that would have to be a multigenerational affair.

----------

Auriplane!!

lol

michiro

There are people with moths as pets? Well, beats eating Toilet Paper I suppose.

Man, If i wasn't so lazy I'd be a pretty good guitarist by now :(

Mothra Lives!!

kage25130

Mothra Lives!!

----------

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Gojira

michiro

Would eat it alive :)

the powder moths leave behind

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

the powder moths leave behind come off their wings, and this is also why it pays to be gentle with them, cause if they lose that powder, they lose their ability to fly for any period of time.

also, yes they do eat wool, not cotton as much, they prefer thicker fibres.

but, if you wanna be attracting moths, a light over your door will do it far better than leaving out a woolen sweater.

and if you wish to catch one with your hands, i refer you to LotR, the fellowship of the irng, in which gandalf is trapped atop orthanc, and ctahces a moth, that method actually works, but you need to be very quick, yet stil gentle.

----------

Re: Gojira

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

toxic garbage island.

----------

Re: well. this thread has been

BacardiBreezer

wayfaerer said

well. this thread has been effectively derailed--from discouragement regarding VGM to moths.

ill direct this question at bacardi, since i feel bad about playing part in digressing her thread, which really is a worthwhile one.

Have you browsed my tabs? Haha. I seem to prefer the more emotional ones, that sound good on the higher frets of the guitar, definitely the earlier Final Fantasy games (1-6), and some Enix stuff....but Ys 3, in any variation, has my all time favorite soundtrack. I think I have the most tabs from that game.

Re: the powder moths leave behind

michiro

wayfaerer said

the powder moths leave behind come off their wings, and this is also why it pays to be gentle with them, cause if they lose that powder, they lose their ability to fly for any period of time.

but, if you wanna be attracting moths, a light over your door will do it far better than leaving out a woolen sweater.

and if you wish to catch one with your hands, i refer you to LotR, the fellowship of the irng, in which gandalf is trapped atop orthanc, and ctahces a moth, that method actually works, but you need to be very quick, yet stil gentle.

This much information could only come from someone who is a lover of moths :). I wasn't actually planning on catching any. Besides the ones fluttering in our house are tiny. I don't recall Gandalf catching anything, but then again it's been a while since I read the book. I'm somewhat of a Tolkien fan, myself. The LOTR books remind me a lot of the Bible, in terms of epicness and good quality characters. The geography is also astounding in LOTR.

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

BacardiBreezer said

wayfaerer said

Have you browsed my tabs? Haha. I seem to prefer the more emotional ones, that sound good on the higher frets of the guitar, definitely the earlier Final Fantasy games (1-6), and some Enix stuff....but Ys 3, in any variation, has my all time favorite soundtrack. I think I have the most tabs from that game.

ive never played, or even heard of the ys series until i happened upon this site. i feel i should probably give it a whirl. snes is my assumption?

for me, chrono cross is hands down my prefered OST, followed by FFVII, i adore tifas theme, as well as the lifestream song.

----------

karathrow

BacardiBreezer said

wayfaerer said

I got the Ys books I&II for DS since I had only played the Wanderers. I made it about 5 minutes into the game. Tried to fight something and died immediately.

;-;

Re: the powder moths leave behind

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

michiro said

wayfaerer said

This much information could only come from someone who is a lover of moths :). I wasn't actually planning on catching any. Besides the ones fluttering in our house are tiny. I don't recall Gandalf catching anything, but then again it's been a while since I read the book. I'm somewhat of a Tolkien fan, myself. The LOTR books remind me a lot of the Bible, in terms of epicness and good quality characters. The geography is also astounding in LOTR.

before i go on, the books are superior, as is usually the case, but i was refering to the movie haha.

have you read the silmarillion? or the children of hurin?

and if youre a lover of epic fantasy, i HIGHLY recommend you read robert jordan's the wheel of time series. its huge, but its SOOOO good.

and i think the bible allusions in LotR are due in large part to tolkien's christian back ground. he attended a catholic school for boys, where he met many friends, and started some form of club, and actually began some small work his middle-earth works.

im not somewhat a fan of LotR and the middle-earth works. im an utter ring freak. i know a damn good deal about lord of the rings.

such as, did you know tolkiens elven language is a mash up of welsh and icelandic?

----------

Tolkien's works have a

auriplane

Tolkien's works have a special place in my heart. When I was six, my family picked up the Commodore 64 text adventure adaptation of The Hobbit, and it came with a copy of the book. You could hardly tear me away from the computer at that age, but I had a fascination for anything that came with a video game, so I decided to read the novel. I was hooked instantly. Soon after, I made my mom take me to the library to pick up The Fellowship of the Ring, then The Two Towers, and finally The Return of the King. I had to work through them with a dictionary, but for a brief while, all I did with my free time was exactly that.

LOTR made me an avid reader. I'm thirty now, and I still read maybe fifty books a year (though rather than pacing myself, I tend to read piles of books at once). I have nice editions of The Hobbit and LOTR, and usually re-read both once a year. The Silmarillion is fascinating to me, and I do have Unfinished Tales, The Children of Hurin, Letters, and The History of Middle-Earth as well. But really, it's those two books from my childhood which are most dear to me.

Also, moths.

----------

Auriplane!!

IMPORTANT TRIVIA QUESTION:

auriplane

IMPORTANT TRIVIA QUESTION: When do snails appear in The Hobbit?

----------

Auriplane!!

The Silmarillion is just

kage25130

The Silmarillion is just so.... vast! Really goes to show you what an imagination Tolkien was working with.

----------

Re: IMPORTANT TRIVIA QUESTION:

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

auriplane said

auri. youre the only person to have ever stumped me with LotR trivia. ever

wish i could draw a moth...

----------

BacardiBreezer

wayfaerer said

BacardiBreezer said

wayfaerer said

ive never played, or even heard of the ys series until i happened upon this site. i feel i should probably give it a whirl. snes is my assumption?

for me, chrono cross is hands down my prefered OST, followed by FFVII, i adore tifas theme, as well as the lifestream song.

:o Ys is very popular in Japan, not so much here. LOL you can pretty much play it on any system you want, it's been remade so many times. I've played the NES, x68000, PC-e, Sega, SNES and I'm TRYING to get the PC (The Oath in Felghana) to work but it's being lame, have to pirate it because I don't have a PSP. I would say the SNES one, yeah. The Sega version has slightly better graphics, but the music sounds absolutely TERRIBLE on it and the music is half of the reason at least, to even play the game lol. The story is decent for it being a side scroller action/RPG. I have so many different Falcom albums they did for that game. The Oath in Felghana is awesome, because they arranged most of the songs for guitar and it plays like that in the game.

Chrono Cross/Trigger are great soundtracks for sure, Uematsu is my favorite composer though. I like Yuzo Koshiro too, as I've said before Fillmore from Actraiser is in my top 3 favorite VGMs ever. That and Ballacetine/Valestein Castle from Ys, that song has been in my head since I was a kid. I used to play that game just to hear it (before the internets). Same with Doom Castle from Mystic Quest haha (such a DUMB game, with an awesome soundtrack...)

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

given that theres been so many remakes, i assume i wont need to patch it if i get the zsnes rom.

did you SIDE-SCROLLER action/rpg?

its been a long time since i endeavoured one of those.

----------

Nope no patch needed for SNES

BacardiBreezer

Nope no patch needed for SNES or Sega versions. I actually was able to get through the NES, x68000 and PC-E versions because it's one of those games if you'd played it enough you know generally what everyone says and where to go and what answers to give lol. I've done the same thing with the Japanese versions of SoulBlazer, ActRaiser, Lagoon etc

I know mystic quest was

karathrow

I know mystic quest was supposed to be terrible, but dammit I had fun playing it ;-;

Re: I know mystic quest was

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

karathrow said

I know mystic quest was supposed to be terrible, but dammit I had fun playing it ;-;

that seems to be the case with many people who ahve played mystic quest. i havent, because i havent ever gotten my hands on it, i guess i could get a rom but... yeah i might get a rom.

first up is Ys though it seems. ill take your rec bacardi!

----------

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

auriplane said

The thrush that knocks at the secret door is cracking open yummy snails to eat and fill his fat little belly!

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

natenmn said

auriplane said

The thrush that knocks at the secret door is cracking open yummy snails to eat and fill his fat little belly!

FUUUCCCKKKK!!!!

that being said, this little digression hath given me an idear...

----------

Well, I'll still play Mystic

BacardiBreezer

Well, I'll still play Mystic Quest due to nostalgia, but I wouldn't care for it if I started now lol. Seriously badass soundtrack though, wasn't even Uematsu.

I think I'll make a new thread

michiro

A Tolkien Specific thread would do well. BTW, I tried YS but It felt like playing Zelda II: The Adventure of Link mixed with Phantasy Star, neither of which I am a fan of. Wasn't the original YS for the megadrive or something?

I think the first one was on

BacardiBreezer

I think the first one was on NES, but I don't remember for sure. Like I siad it's been on a lot of different systems. And it's the only side scroller of the series.

so... ys 1 and 2 are NOT S-S?

wayfaerer

"Embrace your dreams."

so... ys 1 and 2 are NOT S-S?

----------