You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Works in progress - page 6

Relax, play more confidently

auriplane

Relax, play more confidently and louder, slower, more steady, connect the notes more? (Mostly you want notes ringing out longer, but also make sure to mute open strings when you don't want them ringing out.) More dynamics. Try accenting the beat.

You could play in a better-sounding room and experiment with the mic position, but stuff like that is secondary.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Relax, play more confidently

karathrow

auriplane said

Relax, play more confidently and louder, slower, more steady, connect the notes more? (Mostly you want notes ringing out longer, but also make sure to mute open strings when you don't want them ringing out.) More dynamics. Try accenting the beat.

You could play in a better-sounding room and experiment with the mic position, but stuff like that is secondary.

The thing is I wasn't even playing the song at full tempo. (at least according to the gp5 file's speed) There's not really a way for me to let the notes ring out any longer, unless I play below tempo. (which I thought I would get called out on had I done)

My room is also the size of a closet and my mic is a shitty flip camera. The only other mic I have is my headset I use for online gaming stuff. EDIT: Actually I have a rock band mic....I know surreal said he uses that, I could give it a shot.

Not trying to be argumentative/ungrateful for the advice, just a little uncertain.

When you're playing at tempo

auriplane

When you're playing at tempo you shouldn't be hesitating/timid/tensed up, which is what it sounded like. So I'd slow down and play below tempo right now.

The notes CAN be more fluid/connected than that.

I'm not telling you to be certain about what I'm saying. Actually, I kinda expect you to ignore it :-) But I responded anyway, since you asked!

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: When you're playing at tempo

karathrow

auriplane said

When you're playing at tempo you shouldn't be hesitating/timid/tensed up, which is what it sounded like. So I'd slow down and play below tempo right now.

The notes CAN be more fluid/connected than that.

I'm not telling you to be certain about what I'm saying. Actually, I kinda expect you to ignore it :-) But I responded anyway, since you asked!

I guess I didn't mean uncertain so much as "I don't believe you" but more as "I need clarification on what Im doing wrong".

Im not arrogant enough to think this recording isnt terrible and Im not trying to be defensive, I guess I was just trying to explain why some of the notes weren't ringing out.

Ultimately I guess the thing to take away here is "play below tempo".

The reason I am probably tense is because I have a camera on me and also because I've been trying recently to keep my thumb behind the neck which is easier said than done.

(blah blah more excuses T-T)

Any rate thanks for the feedback.

Practice with a metronome,

musenji

Practice with a metronome, until you can record it at half tempo with absolutely no hesitations, letting notes ring out.

Don't make me break out the sassy black lady.

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Re: Practice with a metronome,

karathrow

musenji said

Practice with a metronome, until you can record it at half tempo with absolutely no hesitations, letting notes ring out.

Don't make me break out the sassy black lady.

Ive been doing this and I can play it at like 70-80% tempo fine usually.

Ooh. Can we see a 70%

musenji

Ooh. Can we see a 70% recording then? :-)

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

I cant do it right this

karathrow

I cant do it right this moment because people are sleeping but I will try to tomorrow maybe.

I'm extremely tired of playing this song, been practicing it for like a month straight.

Look, it's a nice recording,

auriplane

Look, it's a nice recording, not a terrible one, and it looks like you practiced it a lot--and it's fairly fast and complicated! But the thing I said about playing confidently is the main thing. It sounds quiet/timid/hesitant. I don't want to hear any of those things. I want to hear you sing, not struggle.

That's why I suggested slowing down. If you practice it more slowly, at a tempo you can play confidently, you can build the muscle memory you need to play it just as confidently faster. Right now it sounds "too fast" not because of the actual tempo, but because it sounds like you're playing past the point you're comfortable with. Things like fluidity, confidence, and dynamics are out the window, because you're doing your best just to keep up with the music!

So yes, "play below tempo" is the take-away here. At least IMO.

----------

Auriplane!!

Re: Look, it's a nice recording,

karathrow

auriplane said

Look, it's a nice recording, not a terrible one, and it looks like you practiced it a lot--and it's fairly fast and complicated! But the thing I said about playing confidently is the main thing. It sounds quiet/timid/hesitant. I don't want to hear any of those things. I want to hear you sing, not struggle.

That's why I suggested slowing down. If you practice it more slowly, at a tempo you can play confidently, you can build the muscle memory you need to play it just as confidently faster. Right now it sounds "too fast" not because of the actual tempo, but because it sounds like you're playing past the point you're comfortable with. Things like fluidity, confidence, and dynamics are out the window, because you're doing your best just to keep up with the music!

So yes, "play below tempo" is the take-away here. At least IMO.

Okay, will do thanks again.

If you're extremely tired of

musenji

If you're extremely tired of playing it, then here is my advice, advice my teacher also gave to me: set it down for a while.

It looks as though you've accomplished a lot with this one, probably gotten a lot of good workout for the hands and mind. Congratulations! Now try something else, something new. The brain does need new things to stimulate it.

You did a good job, and it's okay to take a break. :-)

----------

You could always call it a

Hakoria

Laon King

You could always call it a staccato version until you get to play it how you want to.

Forgot to say on irc: maybe do the string tap (around 17th second) differently, it doesn't go well with the guitar's playing sound imo (might simply because it's louder so mic picked it up better). I think the original is a clenched paw tap above the strings? Too lazy to verify.

Re: When you're playing at tempo

auriplane

karathrow said

Im not arrogant enough to think this recording isnt terrible and Im not trying to be defensive

BTW, you don't come across as arrogant. You do sound like you're really hard on yourself, though!

Personally, I've been going ahead and posting recordings even though I know they're not very good. For me, at least, at some point the goal is just to have fun, so I have to stop beating myself up and stop worrying so much, or it'll show through in my playing when fun gets replaced with worrying! :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

And thinking the recording

musenji

And thinking the recording isn't terrible would not require arrogance, in my own opinion. :-)

Okay and, when Auriplane says her recordings "aren't very good", take that with a grain of salt. Think, "Everyone is their own harshest critic." Which is probably as it should be, as long as (agreed) people don't beat themselves up.

----------

Okay, thank you guys :)

karathrow

Okay, thank you guys :)

I guess the reason I get to this point where I play the song til I hate it or stress out is because I tend to get a song to where I can play it okayish but not good enough to record. Once I do that I either have to choose to practice it really hard while it's fresh in my memory to try and record, or go learn other stuff and sort of forget how the song goes which means I have to relearn it to record.

I get a lot of songs to this point where I'm almost ready to record or sort of making attempts to record and then I'm just not happy with them....blech. Having a better camera or mic would help too.

I've certainly done the same

musenji

I've certainly done the same thing.

Question: how do you feel when you're playing such a song? What is your internal thought process? Do you kind of play it and hope you "finally get it right" once while recording?

----------

Re: I've certainly done the same

karathrow

musenji said

I've certainly done the same thing.

Question: how do you feel when you're playing such a song? What is your internal thought process? Do you kind of play it and hope you "finally get it right" once while recording?

I just tend to want some evidence of the time spent on the song before I move on to the next thing and forget how to play it. I never sight read when I play so I commit every song fully to memory. After not playing a song for a couple months things tend to be fuzzy at parts.