You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #2 - Stories

auriplane

Welcome to MUSIC WRITING CONTEST #2. This is just like Kabuki's contest, where everyone writes some original music (not remixes), and posts them here!! The only difference is the theme:

STORIES.

I want everyone to write a song that tells a story! Feel free to post a little explanation of what's going on in your song :-) It doesn't have to be long or complicated, but be creative!! The rules are the same as last time:

It has to at least be 1 minute in length.

Any instruments and groupings are acceptable.

Any format is fine, be it midi, mp3, ogg, etc.

I will judge the songs! I won't be a jerk, I promise. But everyone is free to give feedback once a song is posted.

Entries are not anonymous! Post your entry here, where everyone can see it and discuss it! You can post it at any time, starting NOW.

Also, like last time, the deadline can be extended if anyone needs it. I'd rather have more people enter than worry about a precise deadline.

I will draw some really cruddy pictures for prizes.

Good luck!!!

UHUH

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

UHUH

I will try to enter, for the

Demonstray

I will try to enter, for the good of mankind.

Yay a demonstray!! [email protected]_v

auriplane

Yay a demonstray!! [email protected]_v

----------

Auriplane!!

I've needed some motivation

I've needed some motivation to write something, so I'll try.

Awesome. Now I just need to

rat_in_a_cage

the weird uncle

Awesome. Now I just need to think of a story that needs conveying.

R-18 story?

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

R-18 story?

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

i want an awkward situation

exilehunter

i want an awkward situation between a ukelele and a bass guitar >.> lallaalala.....

So the tentative deadline is

musenji

So the tentative deadline is the 24th, then, as mentioned in the other thread? With a good deal of elasticity?

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

I'm not sure i really

hashel

I'm not sure i really understand the concept :$
Maybe could you give me (us) an exemple about a song, from an ost, who tell a story ^^

Don't answer "Aria Di Mezzo" :p

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

Wait... Why can't I give the

auriplane

Wait... Why can't I give the most obvious answer? :-(

Are other people going to have trouble with this theme?

----------

Auriplane!!

Is, for exemple, Epitaph from

hashel

Is, for exemple, Epitaph from ff6 could be a story, i mean the death of Setzer's lover Daryl etc ?

----------

Sure :-) As long as

auriplane

Sure :-) As long as something's happening and you can put it into words.

----------

Auriplane!!

Someone asked me if it has to

auriplane

Someone asked me if it has to be a true story. Umm, nope! It didn't even occur to me that it might be a real story :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

I guess I'll try. Sorry if

I guess I'll try. Sorry if the sound quality is bad... if I enter

i was delaying saying

xuwawa

god of empty NES

i was delaying saying anything, cos it woulda been "i got nothin'."
and i'm glad i did, cos diddling around a riff i got the start of something.
now to see if it pans out...

----------

Does it has to be our own

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

Does it has to be our own story or can i do it with the care bears saga storiez?!

(jk auri <3... i'd like to do this, but i'll probably get too lazy)

Edit: Also, would it be possible to consolidate a list of the entries into the first post for easy searching?

Noo! 2010 was the year for

auriplane

Noo! 2010 was the year for laziness. 2011 is the year for not laziness!

Mark your calendars! No lazy!

----------

Auriplane!!

This contest is not optional.

Demonstray

This contest is not optional. Laziness will not exempt you from apocalyptic judgment.

A song about how i battled

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

A song about how i battled the flu with the almighty chicken soup.
wait for it.

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

I can't mark my calendar, as

musenji

I can't mark my calendar, as you have not stated in this thread what the due date is! (And you didn't answer when I asked if it's the 24th, as implied in the other thread)

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

Um, okay, I'll repeat

auriplane

Um, okay, I'll repeat myself!

This contest is running through Jan 24.

Like last time, the deadline can be extended if anyone needs it. I'd rather have more people enter than worry about a precise deadline.

I repeat: the deadline is Jan 24. That's four days from now. :-)

----------

Auriplane!!

Awesome, I'm definitely

laoise

Laoise

Awesome, I'm definitely giving this a go (:

I will be able to submit a

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

I will be able to submit a midi file for sunday, but not an actual recording I fear :(

plouf [email protected]_v

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

plouf

[email protected]_v

BUMP NEVER FORGET

auriplane

BUMP

NEVER FORGET

----------

Auriplane!!

I might need until Tuesday!

I might need until Tuesday! Sorry!

ok!! THE NEW DEADLINE IS

auriplane

ok!!

THE NEW DEADLINE IS TUESDAY

HOORAY FOR TUESDAY

----------

Auriplane!!

My entry: "To The Stars" It's

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

My entry: "To The Stars"

It's written in memory of the space shuttle challenger, which is having an anniversary January 28th. In my story, the Challenger finally makes it to the stars.

http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/Kabukibear/TOTHESTARS.mp3

Here's my entry its called

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

Here's my entry
its called "okay Princess"
so its your basic "princess get kidnapped; knight kick the bad guy; knight gets princess; over" story
I tried to match each "chapter" to a different style (its more like a medley btw...)
not really satisfied since I wanted to record it, the midi is awful :|

MIDI
GP5
MP3 (with hameniet)

the midi adds some weird reverb shit, try the gp5 directly if you can

Really nice Kabuki :o

Dang I can't beat these

Dang I can't beat these masterpieces!!

You can do it!! Be a part

auriplane

You can do it!! Be a part of the event :D

----------

Auriplane!!

Kabuki and Auriplane will win

hashel

Kabuki and Auriplane will win 1 time on 2 xD

Kabuki's piece is really nice *_*

Rex's one too but i'm not a fan of the "medley like"

And i have something but it's not really good and verry simple ._. i'm trying to do something better but the inspiration is not with me this time ^^

----------

Wouldve liked to have done

amz181

Wouldve liked to have done more, and streamlined it a bit, but i dont have the time because of exams :( . Pardon the crud quality, i had to try and make the best of a bad mic.

The First Time I Flew
http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/amz181/The%20First%20Time%20I%20Flew.mp3

Can't just figured out I'm

Can't just figured out I'm going out of town for about 3 days. XO

Twenty-four hours remain!!

auriplane

Twenty-four hours remain!!

----------

Auriplane!!

Taming of the Two

xuwawa

god of empty NES

here is my entry: Taming of the Two, or A Tale of Two Kitties.
I was out on the back porch practicing/doodling whilst the two cats we're taming down were playing, tumbling about, running full out and stopping on a dime to stare at me for a second before darting off again.
i had the first coupla bar's riff already in A blues scale and was trying to add onto it, and i ended up trying to "score" the kittens playtime. it was a lot of fun! i got the first 32 seconds of the song from that [seemed like a lot more at the time].
so from there i ultimately repeated that first section two more times, modifying it each iteration. that kinda came from them too since they both have ocd tendencies - for example if i disturb one cat while it's eating, it has to walk back a few feet, circle to the right, rub on both table legs and walk up to the food bowl. but, though he always does that he never does it the same way twice.

first section: the kitties are playing, yeah woohoo alright yougetthepicture
second section: catNIP YEAH WOOHOO ALRIGHT PLAYPLAYPLAYPLAY
third section: the kittens are so high on the 'nip they think they playin on a pirate ship.
O_o
o_O
O_O
yo ho! XD

so yeah another solo bass. i swear, next time i'll have more than one instrument

ps i am reminded of the jarzombeks's bambi
twitterpated ftw - 7:15 in the above vid :) especially 7:55 at the kiss

gahd i need shleep

----------

Can we have a 3 or 4 hour

rat_in_a_cage

the weird uncle

Can we have a 3 or 4 hour extension on this? Class just got over an hour ago, and I am soaked because of the rain.
I'll get it in before 3 AM CST.

Yeah sure :-) I won't be

auriplane

Yeah sure :-) I won't be awake then, so you can have a bit longer than that.

----------

Auriplane!!

TUNE This song is about

rat_in_a_cage

the weird uncle

TUNE

This song is about trying to save someone you love from committing suicide.
I was writing the song, and the story seemed to come up with itself.

Okay, five entries!! Hooray

auriplane

Okay, five entries!! Hooray :D

Now to listen to them all.

----------

Auriplane!!

Ugh. Why do I always discover

zen03y

CATFOOD

Ugh. Why do I always discover these so late...*sticks middle finger at Black Ops and homework/midterms*
Good luck to those who entered :)

Okay! I did my best to judge

auriplane

Okay! I did my best to judge the songs for Tune Contest #2!! I was really happy with everyone who entered ^-^ To those of you who were thinking about entering, or didn't or couldn't finish, I hope you can make a song in the next one!!

First Place: Kabuki Bear - To The Stars

This song was beautiful!! I don't want to overanalyze it, because it's the sort of thing you just close your eyes and sit there listening to. But I really love lydian, and the progression is wonderful. Good use of dynamics, too!

There's a little clipping now and then. Maybe you could render it slightly quieter or put it through a limiter? Then it'd be perfect :D

As far as the story, invoking Challenger is like a punch to the gut. It really got me. Very good choice.

As a last note, on repeat listens, I enjoyed playing bass along with this tune :-)

Second Place: RexLeRouge - okay Princess

Wow! This is a pretty complex tune. Or medley, as you say. Overall, I really liked it! The only part that confused my ear a bit was measures 15-22. I couldn't quite follow what the chords were there. This song was almost my #1 choice by the way--it's a tough call, and I'm a cruddy judge, but I have to make a choice, so... :-)

Incidentally, I chose to judge the GP5 version rather than the MIDI. I also tried the Hamienet version, but I'm afraid that Hamienet replaced your snare with the World's Worst Snare (tm) ;-) It's actually pretty funny. Your song was much better in Guitar Pro XD

Chapter 1: This is so happy! Everything is right in Princess Land. But oh no! At measure 15, a dissonant note creeps in. I hope everything is still okay in Princess Land.

Chapter 2: Oh no!! Pretty Princess Prin Prin!! Where is she!! I love this part.

Chapter 3: Our hero weeps for okay Princess. This part is great too. I don't know exactly what was going on in the story here, but maybe our hero got a secret letter from Princess Prin Prin saying where she was being held, and his heart is twisted by her predicament!

Chapter 4: Rock! Okay, hero is getting ready to do some kicking. Potentially of the butt- kind. He must be heading to the Dark Castle. The bassline here is particularly neat. I've been playing bass along with your whole song xD

Chapter 5: Metal!!!! raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar This is the best bassline in the whole piece, BTW. Love it. In this chapter, our hero is kicking the bad guy. Kicking him with death.

Chapter 6: YAY WE WON YAY [email protected]__v

Third Place: amz-181 - The First Time I Flew

One of the things you said about your entry was "Pardon the crud quality, i had to try and make the best of a bad mic." Well, I can hear that, but you know what? Good playing and good songwriting shine through imperfect recording quality :-D

I think the fact that you did a live recording adds something, too. Although the MIDI entries are welcomed (and obviously I chose a MIDI entry for a winner!), there's some emotion here that I think would be missing if your entry were a MIDI file. It's pretty! I've re-listened to this one a number of times too.

I also liked your use of a delay/echo effect on the melody guitar. Very nice.

You said you would have liked to do more. Do you consider this song complete, or something you'll come back to someday? If you do a "full version", I'd love to hear it! In any case, good luck with your exams!

rat_in_a_cage - The Elephant in the Room

Wow, good topic. This is really edgy and dissonant, and is expressing a sort of extreme discomfort with what's going on, but it's still musical. With that ending, I'm not sure whether the protagonist was successful in saving them :-( This entry does really well in conveying its story, and it's a good choice of story. It's pretty close to the edge, and makes me hope everything's okay!

My first impression was that this song would fit in a horror movie. But on subsequent listens, my mental image was more of standing on a ledge on a tall building, the night wind blowing past. I'm not sure that was the intended mental image--maybe I should be picturing something happening more indoorsish. But well, you did a good job conveying it IMO.

xuwawa - Taming of the Two, or a Tale of Two Kitties

Heee! Nice concept. It has a lot of energy, and I found myself tapping my toe along with it :-) I am a bit partial to solo bass, because I often just sit around playing bass on my own hehe! And bass is my favorite instrument. So I definitely think it's okay writing just for bass. That said, since you said you're planning on writing for more than one instrument next time, I'm looking forward to it ^-^ The instrumentation is a bit sparse here.

=^..^= <-- picture of a kitty

By the way, I can totally picture the cats frolicking about as your song plays. I like how the notes got faster and more staccato in the catnip section.

You also get bonus points for kitties, and for the cute picture. :D

Thanks for entering, everyone!! I'll let Kabuki and Rex decide who should run the next one. Since Kabuki already ran one, he could turn the honor over to Rex. Or not! But in any case, I'm happy with all five entries, and I thank you for entering!!

Here is a snail for each entrant:

Kabuki's snail [email protected]__v
Rex's snail [email protected]_
xuwawa's snail [email protected]_y
ratty's snail [email protected]__y
amz-181's snail @zZzZ

----------

Auriplane!!

Sorry about the clipping, I

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

Sorry about the clipping, I just noticed it today when I went ahead and listened to it on better speakers than my pos computer speakers. Booo, really detracts. Ah well, thanks Auri!

And I bequeath the honor of the next contest to the red king. :)

hardcore bass ftw auri :D

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

hardcore bass ftw auri :D thanks [email protected]_v

Congrats kabuki, congrats everyone.
thx kabuki, I will try to find a good topic for the next contest :)

Congratulation everyone :D I

hashel

Congratulation everyone :D
I was a bit of inspiration i'll do something nice (i mean, i'll try :p)next time :)

----------

Just got back from my trip!

Just got back from my trip! So what's the next theme?

Additional entry!

musenji

Not really, cause 1. it's not in time, 2. I composed it years ago, and 3. it's too short to qualify. I don't even know what to call it for sure. Maybe a simple music painting.

I actually would like to know if it evokes imagery for any of you, before telling you what I had in mind when writing it.

este es la musica

----------

I will start the next contest

RexLeRouge

IMPACTO

I will start the next contest this Monday 31st at 0:00 GMT+1 if its okay for everyone

Cool. I'll be waiting.

Cool. I'll be waiting.

musenji, best i can say is it

xuwawa

god of empty NES

musenji, best i can say is it makes me think of deer eating and getting spooked before resuming foraging. they freeze, make quick jerky movements very intermittently to scan their surroundings, snort and run if threat is detected or resume their graceful movements otherwise.

so what was it really?

----------