You're looking at an archived, read-only version of our old community forum. See our new community forum here.

Tune Contest #1 - Winter

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

It's that time of year, where you huddle around the fire drinking hot chocolate and try to keep warm.

The theme of this tune contest is: Winter.

Come up with a piece of music that will make me shiver. You can write about the blustering snow in a blizzard, the icey stillness of a snowed in morning. You can write about Christmas and santa and all the joys that come at this time of year. It's completely up to you.

It has to at least be 1 minute in length.

Any instruments and groupings are acceptable.

Any format is fine, be it midi, mp3, ogg, etc.

This might be a hard time of year with traveling and all that, so the deadline can be extended if requested.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh and I will come up with some sort of sig trophy for 1st place, and 2nd or 3rd assuming there is enough interest. Hopefully this can be a recurring thing here.

BTW, Kabuki said in the chat

auriplane

BTW, Kabuki said in the chat thing that everyone should post their entries here. Entry is NOT anonymous! Everyone can see your entries, including the Kabuki Bear!!

----------

Auriplane!!

BUMP EVERYONE ENTER

auriplane

BUMP

EVERYONE ENTER

----------

Auriplane!!

Can it be done with synth or

SpiderTemplarius

Music hunger

Can it be done with synth or tracker? I'm out of guitars till 10th january :|

I might give this a try, even

Parhelion

I might give this a try, even though I've never attempted to write music before. Guess its time to break out Reason, my keyboard, and Merzbow influences.

----------

Friend of the pag.

"Any instruments and

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

"Any instruments and groupings are acceptable."

Though I will put a limit on loops to 1. It's not a remix deal. :)

obligatory lyrics?

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

obligatory lyrics?

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

Re: obligatory lyrics?

tiganior1

The following post may contain mature humour, violence and coarse language which is not suitable for younger audiences. Parental discretion is advised.

SalemJeanette said

obligatory lyrics?

Mash up that AhoOOoOOooOoo into a song. Get J-Respect.

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

tiganior1 said

SalemJeanette said

obligatory lyrics?

thafuck?

----------

23:33 Vic9mm said: its ture ida benn gone she took out like 3 kids before had what was that fat ass asian kid gonna do

Little J.

tiganior1

The following post may contain mature humour, violence and coarse language which is not suitable for younger audiences. Parental discretion is advised.

SalemJeanette said

tiganior1 said

SalemJeanette said

obligatory lyrics?

thafuck?

You sly devil you, don't you pretend you don't know what I'm talkin' bout.

what?

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

what?

----------

Little J.

I'll post something on

ForestMarth

I'll post something on January 5th or 6th...
Hope I'll not be the only one !

give sum kabuki chef food as

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

give sum kabuki chef food as prize

----------

Little J.

almost done with my winter

rat_in_a_cage

the weird uncle

almost done with my winter tune. :3

Go ratty!! And um whoever

auriplane

Go ratty!! And um whoever else is entering!!

I haven't started yet T_T

----------

Auriplane!!

Arrangements or originals?

CpxAzn

Lurker

Arrangements or originals?

Ahhh I need more time T_T

auriplane

Ahhh I need more time T_T

----------

Auriplane!!

me too

SalemJeanette

Save Your Tears.

me too

----------

Little J.

Originals. I will extend the

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

Originals. I will extend the deadline until Sunday. Post what you've done then, finished or not. Don't be shy, I don't bite...

actually...

I finished my winter tune

ForestMarth

I finished my winter tune !!!

Reaching The Winter Choir

As you can see, it's called "Reaching The Winter Choir".

It's a song in two parts :
- Part 1 : Walking on snow all the way to the Winter Choir
- Part 2 : In front of the Winter Choir

:-D

NOTE : It's a midi file I composed with Guitar Pro 5 therefore I'm sorry for the audio quality which is rather bad.
By the way, I'm disappointed with Guitar Pro which bugged (some notes for the choir disappeared in the midi file and GP forced me to put each voice of the choir at the same volume and pan... but never mind it's not important ^^).

Re: I finished my winter tune

hslesperance

ForestMarth said

I'm sorry for the audio quality which is rather bad.

Is this better? MP3

I used hamienet's midi to mp3 converter with SGM v2.01 soundfont.

And good job on the song by the way! Nice effects with the seashore instrument. I'm trying to use bottle blow imitate wind, but not really sure how or if it is possible.

----------

My Original Songs - https://soundcloud.com/hslesperance

You can't imagine my face

ForestMarth

You can't imagine my face when I listened to it !!!!!!!!
That's sooooooooooooo awesome !!!!!!!!! It's REALLY better !!!
Thank you SO MUCH hslesperance for the conversion of my midi into MP3 and especially for telling me how you did !!!!! :-D
Hamienet's converter is quick and efficient.

Indeed, fortunately I found the seashore instrument... at the beginning I was thinking of using the fret noise but the seashore was clearly better.
Good luck for the bottle blow !! I'm sure it will be 100 times better than my violin to imitate wind ^^

EDIT : And I'm glad you appreciated it !

i've been working on

xuwawa

god of empty NES

i've been working on something for this, i'll post tonight or tomorrow afternoon finished or not.

dunno if it's an invocation of the chilly willys for everyone else, but parts of it started as a scale practicing thingy and parts "sound russian". to me. which means absolutely nothing i'm sure, since i dont know nothin but 80's stereotypes and tetris.
anywho made me think of someone trudging through the steppes in winter, being stalked by teh steppenwolf [sorry hadda say it :)] and the realization and reaction to such. cos russians totally get attacked by wolves like ALL THE TIME. IN THE SNOW. which doesnt even melt when it hits 100+ in st petersburg. cos it's hardass russian snow or some such shee.
and yes i know the theme was winter and not russia, but that's what i gots.

i might post a wip tonight if that's allowed, but now i need gotta go eat dinner in town.

yay i'm participating!!

----------

Clocking in at 1:04, mine's a

musenji

Clocking in at 1:04, mine's a lightweight. Single guitar, live recording.

Melting Icicles

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

so i'm not quite done, needa

xuwawa

god of empty NES

so i'm not quite done, needa conclution, and something to do with the last few bars, but i'm passing out and in case i'm not back before yall start going through these. about it, it's just one bass, started as a practice for my rhythm while memorizing scale fingerings, this one is A minor. the wintery aspect is explained above. or just look at this picture.

WIP SteppenKhatru
yeah and it's the first original music i've written, and it's not done... but i would love some feedback, criticism, critique, honestly that's the main reason i jumped on this since i saw it 2 days ago.

forest, i really like yours, it actually helped by making me think of it in sections, even though the way i've sectioned it wont have any meaning to anyone else without me spouting off what seems like nonsense.
good job on yours, it can stand alone and be understood in that sense. :)

musenji, albeit i'm a sucker for perfectly played live guitar, i LOVE your track. i don't even know what to say besides awesome job!

i look forward to hearing more awesomeness!!

----------

I talked to Jacob yesterday,

auriplane

I talked to Jacob yesterday, and he said "I still have another day!" So I decided that went for me too. Please don't disqualify us before midnight EST!! ;-)

I programmed a synth for mine! Then I wrote the world's worst song by mouse clicking. So, I've cleaned off my MIDI keyboard (which had temporarily become a table), and I'm going to try playing something this morning!:) I just need to come up with the seed of an idea first, but I may already have one.

----------

Auriplane!!

Yeah xuwawa, get'cho beauty

musenji

Yeah xuwawa, get'cho beauty sleep, yo!

First impression: it feels very Eastern. I agree, it does sound Russian. Except that little bit at the end--that's straight out of a dojo! haha

It's a very progressive piece, rhythmically. It starts out relatively laid back, and then gets a little bit more dramatic (daaa, doot doot, daaa, doot doot). Then 2/3 of the way through, with the uniform rhythm and jumping intervals, it's very driving and tense. Actually it has the same rhythm there as the percussion of a techno track! (You know, N tss N tss N tss N tss.) Anyway, so I think that's awesome, cause it's the first time I've seen it demonstrated so clearly how rhythm changes mood even within one piece.

I think that for it to be warm or cold would depend on what goes with it.

Thumbs up!

ForestMarth, I swear when I heard the first two bell tones I thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Y6Sza8Nt0#t=00m54s

..but it went in a slightly different direction. :D I love the part walking towards the choir--I've had several instances of actually doing this where there was a choir in a church in the winter...man, nostalgia flashback. That sense of anticipation. Pretty sweet choral stuff too.

..Hey, I'm curious. When Kabuki said he was putting a limit on loops, what exactly does that mean? What qualifies as a "loop"?

Okay now I definitely need to sleep too. hahaha

----------

And then I realized that the chord progression from Chrono Cross's Another World is the same progression as the chorus from Peace of Mind by Boston, and life was never quite the same.

If I don't respond you can

auriplane

If I don't respond you can (of course!) do it without me, since I am feeling particularly ill today T_T

----------

Auriplane!!

I am moving the deadline to

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

I am moving the deadline to tomorrow. Last night was the gf's birthday.

I think I am in the process of dying horribly today.

If I survive I will judge tomorrow. If I die...well...I leave all my things to be divided amongst the gametabs collective.

This song is called The

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

This song is called The Walk

On New Years I dropped acid and ended up walking across town in the cold. It was really exhilarating, so I made a song about it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3dsco24c5cdodbf

no second take either, don't have time for that shit.

Oh and 90% of that was improvised while I recorded |:

EDIT: Jacob asked me to change my song's name to Eric's Space Odyssey

So there

TY Kabuki!! Why is today the

auriplane

TY Kabuki!! Why is today the day of dying T_T

----------

Auriplane!!

Xuwawa, I like a lot your

ForestMarth

Xuwawa, I like a lot your composition !! I think a single bass was a great idea ! For sure it describes well the harshness and the emptiness of the Russian tundra. The changes in rhythm expresses the quick changes of weather in this territory. Thanks for this ! There's only the end which is a little odd... maybe an end on the A note would have been more conventional ^^

Musenji, I don't know why but when I click on the link for your song it is said "Sorry, File not found!" ><'
And indeed you're right it's very closed to this part of the FF VII intro lol ^^

Surreal, it is an impresive composition ! We can feel that, as you said, there's a lot of improvisation because there are a lot of duet of chords... but my ears are enthralled during the whole song ^^ I really wish I could improvise as well as you !!

And thanks for your comments Xuwawa and Musenji :-)

my song is called Where the

Jacob31593

my song is called Where the Fuck is the Snow

its about the constant trials and tribulations one must go through during the winter months if they live in the south
http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/Jacob31593/Where%20the%20Fuck%20is%20...

im going back to bed, i has the sick

kabuki, auri, jacob, hope

xuwawa

god of empty NES

kabuki, auri, jacob, hope y'all feel better. you could try sitting and staring at auri's purple snail crawl, that helps me - swirling spiral shell of the hypnosnail o_0

musenji, thank you, good to see as well that it did convey some of what i wanted. thank you, especially, for the rhythm/mood compliment!! good to see it's not all in my head.
and forest, i like what you read into it with the emptiness [omg original idea was someone in a caravan bored and stuck in passing the time alone by playing] and quick change continental climate... that gives me an idea for an ending possibly...

oh and i think the limit on loops meant if you write a neverending song because it loops only play 2 instances. so you can't write a 5 second loop like Yggdra Union - The People and repeat it til it hits a minute in length. dunno, could be wrong, but that's how i took it.

surreal, i fixed this for you: "no second take either, don't have NEED for that shit". awesome job, like what you did from about 3:15 to 3:30 and from 5:00ish with the bass notes.

jacob, that lead is stuck in my head :) and the title reminds me of a couple years back when it snowed in dallas, houston, austin, even brownsville [southernmost tip of texas] but not hear in san antonio.

i'm guessing the dojo/odd part at the end of mine is the last 8 notes and yeah that wasnt meant to be part of it, though i had contemplated it. didn't really fit but i figured it'd get deleted by the time i finished.
it had actually ran me off on a tangent when i was writing this other, i'll post it but not for the winter compo...
took an simple idea and ran with it, needs polish, but there's my awkward-chase theme.

ok off to finish the real one!

----------

Wow, it doesn't come up for

musenji

Wow, it doesn't come up for me anymore either. So, that site is non-reliable for more than half a day--good to know. Here's a new link:

Melting Icicles

----------

Okay, well I'm still feeling

auriplane

Okay, well I'm still feeling frumby, but I made a slightly less cruddy winter song.

http://auriplane.net/Ice.mp3

----------

Auriplane!!

OH it's the last day ... so

hashel

OH it's the last day ... so why not ?

http://www.wikiupload.com/BS97WYR8PRNFC1R

I called it "The Great Glacier's Soul"

It's a midi file with Guitar + Strings + Choir + Bass
all tuned 1/2 step down

I hope some people will enjoy it ^^

(I really love some works here :O)

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

well this is it, unless i get

xuwawa

god of empty NES

well this is it, unless i get some insirado.

SteppenKhatru Midi
the first minute is the same still, but it has an ending now.
peter spots wolf, short chase, attacked, eaten.

auri yours is beautiful!!! it hath soothed mine ears such that the horrors of hearing mine song nigh uncountable times hath abated! or something. it's awesome!!
hashel, i like yours, but it seems an abrupt end. i dunno, i just expect it to keep going. great work regardless, especially since i'm probably just dumb.

----------

Re: well this is it, unless i get

hashel

xuwawa said

hashel, i like yours, but it seems an abrupt end. i dunno, i just expect it to keep going. great work regardless, especially since i'm probably just dumb.

Thanks ^^ the end id a bit abrupt because it was an endless loop ._.

----------

I do VGM covers and stuff at https://www.youtube.com/c/hashel

My entry

rat_in_a_cage

the weird uncle

TUNE

This is my song, called "Most Wonderful Time of the Year." No real story behind it--I just feel like the atmosphere it sets is rather wintery.

Re: My entry

Shaggy Doo

Dude! that was actually really cool! I actually got a little nostalgic for a second! :D

----------

Running, Playing guitar, and saying "WAKA WAKA WAKA" with my pal Scooby

Did you survive, Kabuki :o

auriplane

Did you survive, Kabuki :o

----------

Auriplane!!

Chicken broth and cayenne

musenji

Chicken broth and cayenne pepper!

----------

Hah! I'm back and managed to

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

Hah! I'm back and managed to not die!
There were a lot of entries! I am going to start judging them after work today, it might take a bit with so many to listen to. Can't wait to hear what you came up with. :)

Congratulations on not

auriplane

Congratulations on not dying!!

----------

Auriplane!!

adjudicatorbear

Jacob31593

adjudicatorbear

thanks for running this

xuwawa

god of empty NES

thanks for running this competition bhreuiudex, kicking me to write something original besides riffs.
congrats to everyone on writing such good songs, can't wait to see the results!

----------

Reaching the Winter Choir by

Kabukibear

Happy Strumming!

Reaching the Winter Choir by ForestMarth

This was a really interesting one. The first half was really cool. You got
ambitious in the second half and I give you credit for doing full on
contrapuntal choir work. It's hard to do! Work on those transitions between
musical ideas, there felt like a lot of starting and stopping and I would've
liked to hear the different ideas you put forth presented a little more
smoothly. Still, really unique.

Melting Icicles by musenji

I could definitely feel the winter vibe here. It's practically crying out for
a melody though, so I would've loved to hear an overdub with some sort of
melody. I found myself humming a melody along with it. Nice playing!

SteppenKhatru by xuwawa

Heh, interesting. This WOULD be great scale practice. It made me think
western?! Lolol, but that could be just me. XD

The Walk by surreal

I get a feeling of being alone...which I suppose would make sense given what
you were doing. It's nice for being improvised, wish I could do it so well :P

Where the Fuck is the Snow by Jacob31593

Hah, I like the name. This puts me in mind of getting stuck behind all the
damn snow birds. That 3 note thing at :12-:13 made me think of a car horn,
heh.

Ice by auriplane

Beautiful. It makes me see a pristine landscape of sparkling ice and snow. I
was sad when it ended so soon.

The Great Glacier's Soul by hashel

This was also great, the bass accents really hit home. I got a sense of
something giant and majestic. Nice job!

Most Wonderful Time of the Year by rat_in_a_cage

This was a neat one...I liked that it kept building. It kept reaching
somewhere...the climax was there in a way, but I feel like it could've been
thickened up. I got all highs and I wanted to hear it continue with that
melody I heard earlier, maybe with a pounding drum beat. It reminded me a lot
of Sigur Ros, which is, I think, a huge compliment!
====================================================================================
Well, this was a REALLY hard choice. I was, frankly, overwhelmed at the
quality of the entries. Not that I didn't think you had it in you, but I
guess I've never had a chance to listen to some of the music a few of you
make! I'm really impressed and inspired! Just know that, even if you didn't
win, ALL of the entries were great and I really struggled with this. The
prize for winning is...well...I don't actually HAVE one. But if someone can
think of something maybe that'll work. Also, the winner gets to decide the
theme and rules and judge the next competition! So...

1st place: Ice by auriplane
Smooth and calm, it really evoked a sense of peace in me. When I think
winter I think cold, quiet, and ice. A world cleansed all in white and
silence and stillness and this one, imo, brought that out the best.
Congratulations!

2nd place: Most Wonderful Time of the Year by rat_in_a_cage
You'd think, with the previous explanation, that this wouldn't be anywhere
near the top but there is a flip side to that icey cold of winter and that is
the deep felt emotion and warmth of being with people you love this time of
year. No cheesy christmas music, the emotional effect I felt with this one
really hit hard. It didn't make first because I didn't really feel a sense of
what one would call "Winter," with it, but I DID get a huge chasm of feeling
with it that I was impressed with. nice job!

3rd place: Reaching the Winter Choir by ForestMarth
Frankly, this one held the most interest for me at first, however, you lost
me at that second half! You had built up some great momentum, but the sudden
shift in style and key left me puzzled. Still, there were some moments of
brilliant writing in there, so bravo!

Well done everyone who entered. I hope this can become a recurring thing
here. Possibly we can even come up with some little prizes or something.

Congrats Auriplane! You too

Congrats Auriplane! You too rat in a cage and ForestMarth!!

Yay!!!!! Ty ^-^

auriplane

Yay!!!!! Ty ^-^

----------

Auriplane!!

Heh. I really wasn't

rat_in_a_cage

the weird uncle

Heh. I really wasn't expecting to do this well when all of the entries were so solid.
So... Thanks! :3