Login or Register to remove this ad. | Advertise Here

Tabs for practicing thumb slaps or acoustic tapping?

karathrow

I'm not sure what the exact term is for it but I'd like to get more used to doing more percussive type sounds with the guitar.

Right now I'm really bad at getting the sound I'm hearing other people make when they are doing recordings etc with this type of thing.

Am I supposed to use my thumb to hit a specific string hard enough to make it the fretboard? What exactly am I hitting or where to make that kind of sound.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Well there's a lot of

surreal

Eric: tank,godlike

Well there's a lot of different sounds you could get by punching a guitar.

Golpe is done by tapping the pick guard with the middle or ring finger, sometimes at the same time as a down stroke with the index.

A general string slap is done by letting the side of the thumb drop and hit the area between the 6th and 5th strings. Sometimes while executing a down stroke with the ring finger at the same time.

The palm of the hand is used to execute a thump by the sound hole to emulate a bass drum sound. This too is sometimes executed with a down stroke.

I started practicing percussion and tapping together with Mckee's drifting. It wasn't easy, but it paid off.

(No subject)

surreal

Re: Well there's a lot of

karathrow

surreal said

Well there's a lot of different sounds you could get by punching a guitar.

Golpe is done by tapping the pick guard with the middle or ring finger, sometimes at the same time as a down stroke with the index.

A general string slap is done by letting the side of the thumb drop and hit the area between the 6th and 5th strings. Sometimes while executing a down stroke with the ring finger at the same time.

I think this is mostly what I was wondering about (the part in bold). Stuff like in nates bayou boogie tab. But not every thumb slap is done in the same spot? (between the 5/6th string) Or is it? How are they notated in tabs? I thought it was notated with an X but I know thats also muting so I'm sort of confused.

That vid was interesting I watched it. He made it seem like I was going to punch a hole in my guitar though practicing this. That makes me a little nervous haha.

(No subject)

tiganior1

The following post may contain mature humour, violence and coarse language which is not suitable for younger audiences. Parental discretion is advised.

I just hit the 6th string.

I LOVE you avatar kara :D

Link Strife07

I can play guitar. Oh yeah.

I LOVE you avatar kara :D hahaha!

----------

The name's Link, Link Strife.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/OttotheOtter97

Re: Well there's a lot of

surreal

Nearly every thumb slap is done in that same spot. You can vary slightly if you'd like to leave certain bass notes ringing, but that's about it.

Most slaps are dictated with an X, just like mutes. However, they tend to be marked mostly on the 5th string to emulate where you should slap.

Re: I LOVE you avatar kara :D

karathrow

Link Strife07 said

I LOVE you avatar kara :D hahaha!

Thanks haha it's from Ghost Trick for DS, check it out!

Thumb slaps can be done

natenmn

I haven't had a chance to trim my hedges recently. Thanks for visiting anyway...

While there are many types of percussion, this post will focus mainly on thumb slaps. Thumb slaps can be done quite differently given various variables. The most prominent variable would be the use of a thumb pick. I'll quickly outline how I personally do them both with and without a thumb pick.

Using your own thumb

Thumb slaps are done pretty much how surreal outlined... by slapping the side of your thumb against a string. The string will hit the closest fret bar to the sound hole and will create a percussive sound. Here is a video that shows how a thumb slap without a thumb pick would be done (I skipped past his bullshit talking for you):

I tend to do thumb slaps directly on the string that is designated in the tab (or where they make the most sense). If there is an "X" on the 6th string, I thumb slap on the sixth string. If there is an "X" on the fourth, I will thumb slap on the fourth. However, again, it has to make sense in the tab, and I'll give an example that makes sense and one that doesn't.

This example does not make much sense:

Q    Q     E  E  Q        E  E  Q     E  E  Q
E||--------------------------|---------------------------||
B||--------------------------|---------------------------||
G||*-------------------------|--------------------------*||
D||*-------------------------|-----0--0-----------------*||
A||-----------------0--0-----|-----------------0--0------||
E||---0----0-----x-----------|--x-----------x------------||

It does not make much sense because it is inefficient. Slapping the 6th string only (or in between the sixth and the fifth) does not take into account the next bass note after every slap. Sure, you can play it like this, but when there is a much more efficient way, it makes little sense to do it in this manner.

This method makes much more sense because it is much more efficient:

D||*-------------------------|--x--0--0-----------------*||
A||--------------x--0--0-----|--------------x--0--0------||
E||---0----0-----------------|---------------------------||

It is more efficient because when you slap a specific string you are free to strike the same string directly afterwards without repositioning your thumb.

This "setting up" becomes more important as tempo increases. Also, you *can* hit in between strings, but generally you'll want to hit between strings that correlate to the next bass note. For example, hitting between the 4th and the 5th string makes sense when an upcoming bass note is on the 4th string. This would leave your thumb right above the string ready to strike it.

It is up to your own discretion as to which string you wish to hit when the spacing between bass notes is large. When this happens, it doesn't really matter which string you slap, since you're not setting up for the next note.

Using a thumb pick

Using a thumb pick while making use of thumb slaps is interesting. It has some advantages, but it also has some large drawbacks. Overall, I prefer the use of a thumb pick when I play any thumb-slappy type songs.

The most obvious difference when using a thumb pick while performing thumb slaps is that accuracy is much more important. You'll still hit the string with the side of your thumb, however the little "nub" or pick part generally goes underneath the string. Interestingly, this creates a nice set-up for an upstroke afterwards.

The "v" symbols represent an upstroke with the thumb pick here:

v              v           v           
D||*-------------------------|--x--0--0-----------------*||
A||--------------x--0--0-----|--------------x--0--0------||
E||---0----0-----------------|---------------------------||

The notes after the upstroke would be played normally. Using this method, it can become very easy to play faster tempos.

Some disadvantages of a thumb pick include doing multiple thumb slaps in a row. This is sorta awkward using a thumb pick. It is definitely doable, but it just feels weird to me. Also hitting a note or doing a strum while performing a thumb slap is much more difficult with a thumb pick. Again, it is definitely doable, but I prefer using my own thumb when playing things that require a strum at the same time as a thumb slap.

The exercises I made up here were derived from a video by Antoine Dufour that outlines good technique for thumb slaps. It mostly caters to thumb pick users, but it is useful to watch either way:

I tabbed out the exercises that he does in that video a long time ago. Here it is if anyone is interested:
Thumb Pick/Thumb Slap Exercises

Exercise 1 and 2 are definitely doable without a thumbpick, but exercise 3 is much harder to do at full tempo without one... it is a great showcase for how a thumb pick can be utilized to increase efficiency.

Holy shit Nate. Thank you

karathrow

Holy shit Nate.

Thank you man, seriously.

Wow! Nice post. (Not that I

auriplane

Wow! Nice post. (Not that I know anything about thumb slapping, but it seems really informative!)

----------

Auriplane!!