Login or Register to remove this ad.

Ennea said

The mic is a Samson c01u which I bought in response of this test video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mHPzHaDIBg - therefore I'm confused how poor my quality turned out to be lol.

Didn't record a video because it's a USB mic :) Didn't want that much effort for a test video but I agree, it's technically really simple - more or less.

Thanks for 1 and I will keep 4 in mind. I usually add some reverb to the sound with settings I found somewhere deep in the internetz.

For number 4 I always mess around as well. Say you want a crisp tone but want the bass for a melody. You could double track ,pan and then EQ them to what you like. To get the best of the guitar on different sides.

Yonah Pluck Ver. 3 years 44 weeks ago

auriplane said

I'm listening on studio monitors. It doesn't have a ton of bass or anything. I think Gio is a fan of the Valnøtt: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4

Anyway, I don't think EQ would be the tool of choice here. My guess is: recording in a quieter room (for the background hiss), playing more confidently (listen how the tone brightens up in the sections where you play out), and mic placement (e.g. proximity effect) would probably get you everything you need tonally. Just a guess.

The popping sounds might be from recording with a buffer size that's too small. Or if you don't have enough CPU power--are there programs you have running while recording that you could close?

P.S. Nice job with the recording :-)

At points during the song the bass would sometimes reach a "Peaking/clipping" point. ( like 0:12 for example. I'm not saying that it needs a complete bass cut, but it needs to be tamed a little bit. there is a difference between Bass that gives the acoustic body and just bass that is un-needed noise. Guitar is a midrange instrument so imagine if there were more tracks, that would stack up rather quickly to create mud and clipping.

The Hiss is an issue, could be you were playing too quite, or you have a "dirty" outlet.
some times it's fixable and sometimes it's not. A decent filter should be able to remove some of it, too much and it effects the tone of the guitar. it's always a tricky manner.

Yonah Pluck Ver. 3 years 44 weeks ago

I always wanted to play like that...I got a compressor and tried my Strat clean with max compression and I couldn't hear any notes really -_-

Not Tomorrow (tapping cover) 3 years 44 weeks ago

Well, I haven't played 2 hand tapping since I've played Satriani's "Day at the beach" in high school. And my gear is pretty shitty as well. :) As for the arrangement itself, I think it's pretty accurate. I've uploaded a GP file, it may actually sound better than my recording.. :P

Not Tomorrow (tapping cover) 3 years 44 weeks ago

Hehe, I've pretty much gave up on playing e-guitar years ago, so I never bought myself decent equipment. Without the effect half of the notes wouldn't be audible. :P I think I might borrow my friends 70's vintage Ibanez and try it again like you said.. :)

Not Tomorrow (tapping cover) 3 years 44 weeks ago

What mic do you use now?

Yonah Pluck Ver. 3 years 44 weeks ago

That's the mic I used to use! All of my recordings in 2011 used it - it's really not a bad mic for the price. I had to move it close to the sound hole to capture bass, and record in a fairly muffled space to reduce the treble. Once those two factors were dealt with I was getting a pretty nice sound. This sound's alright, you just need the mic closer to get a fuller range and louder volume.

Yonah Pluck Ver. 3 years 44 weeks ago

BTW, pretty much all the low-end condenser mics exaggerate the high-end. The C01U is no exception: spec sheet (though note that the spec sheet is probably not terribly accurate).

If you can't record in a quieter room, you might try a dynamic mic or EQing out some of the high-end. I donno. It's hard for me to say--I can only make guesses, which might be horribly wrong.

Yonah Pluck Ver. 3 years 44 weeks ago

The playing's great, but the effect you have on seems to let this recording down. You may want to redo this with a better setting - I've never heard two handed tapping on the electric work with anything but a clean setting on it's own. Really nice arrangement by the sounds of things.

Not Tomorrow (tapping cover) 3 years 44 weeks ago

It sounds a little iffy to me but overall I really like this arrangement.

Not Tomorrow (tapping cover) 3 years 44 weeks ago

Nice!! And nice bathroom reverb xD

Dire Dire Docks 3 years 44 weeks ago

I was actually talking about the whammy bar and harmonics, maybe effects isn't the right word

Guile's Theme 3 years 44 weeks ago

P.S. Nice job with the recording :-)

Yonah Pluck Ver. 3 years 44 weeks ago

Oh, it's a small room. About 8 foot by 6 foot. And it doesn't have heating or AC, so it's basically whatever temperature it is outside, minus what heat leaks out from the actual lobby. But yeah, sound-wise it is luxurious.

Back when I was in college I made it a point to find every single echo-y acoustic spot on campus. :D

Dire Dire Docks 3 years 44 weeks ago

Yonah Pluck Ver. 3 years 44 weeks ago

I didn't do anything super special, but it does sound neat. I duplicated the guitar track and panned each. EQed them slightly differently and put a slight Flange on one of those tracks. (Right ear if you have headphones on)

Guile's Theme 3 years 44 weeks ago

Sounds luxurious lol. I also loved the acoustics in my old school, they had grand halls all around and the echo made everything sound beautiful - too bad I just started guitar back then and couldn't exploit it as much as I wished to :p

Dire Dire Docks 3 years 44 weeks ago

clean playing dude

Guile's Theme 3 years 44 weeks ago

hahahahahahahaha!

... yes.

Guile's Theme 3 years 44 weeks ago

Ha, in response to point 4, I was going to say, what in the world are you thinking? There's virtually NO bass sound coming out. Then I remembered that I'm listening on my laptop which has, well, virtually no bass capability. :p

Yonah Pluck Ver. 3 years 44 weeks ago

Thank you!

Dire Dire Docks 3 years 44 weeks ago

Yeah, or at least one repeat...I know. I was lazy and didn't want to try recording twice through. :p

There's actually an even better room at the building I clean...it's the outer lobby mat area. The floor is tile, and all of the walls are glass, and it's a pure rectangular prism shape.

Dire Dire Docks 3 years 44 weeks ago

Nope, I played it as a duet, recording the two parts separately.

The 15s in Trang's tab were simply impossible for me. Link had them in the lower octave, but I still wanted the high notes, so I switched around the fingerings so that I could play them as artificial harmonics. They weren't so bad. :p

Dire Dire Docks 3 years 44 weeks ago

1. Playing is good.

2. You will have to check your settings on your Mic. if it's an actual good/decent Mic
then it should be an easy fix with a filter or 2. if it's a crap mic then it's to be expected.

3. Wouldn't be that hard to make the video with Movie maker. Just line up the audio with the video and boom,done.

4. Could use a little Eq to remove some of the bass and gently brighten up the Mids and Highs. Warm it up.

Yonah Pluck Ver. 3 years 44 weeks ago

Omokage 3 years 44 weeks ago

I like it im gonna prob do something with that Josh arr.

Kimi to Boku, Todokanu Omoi 3 years 44 weeks ago

is it the song of original ?

Omokage 3 years 44 weeks ago

Nice! I'm glad to see you got Audacity workin' :D Everything is synced perfectly! And really nice job on this, the acoustic sounds great! Hope to hear more from you soon (:

Dire Dire Docks 3 years 44 weeks ago

Bathroom acoustics are best acoustics. I like your playing but somehow it feels like the end is missing :P I know it's infinite loop track but still, a final chord makes it sound more complete.

Dire Dire Docks 3 years 44 weeks ago

You must have been very annoyed with the 15s XD. Did you condense Link's multi guitar tab thingy into one solo guitar arrange or what?

Dire Dire Docks 3 years 44 weeks ago

Damn, nice effects

Guile's Theme 3 years 44 weeks ago

Can I touch your beard?

Guile's Theme 3 years 44 weeks ago

Great Job, I love it.

Garibaldi Courtyard 3 years 44 weeks ago

thank you very much!

Jenova Absolute 3 years 44 weeks ago

I'm always impressed by the amount of work you put in your tabs.
And I'm also SO IMPRESSED by your ears :O

Jenova Absolute 3 years 44 weeks ago

I really do love your arrangements and the time put into them, but I don't think I've ever been able to smoothly play a single one of them ._.

The Moon 3 years 44 weeks ago

It's a nice rendition, not easy to make such a serene/effected piece playable on guitar. GJ <:

Heal 3 years 44 weeks ago

Nice recording btw.

Market theme 3 years 44 weeks ago

Whoa, awesome on all accounts.

The Day Will Come 3 years 44 weeks ago

By the way I gave you a 5 star and WHERE IS THE TAB PLZ

Market theme 3 years 45 weeks ago

i just submited a tab for it, hopefully it gets approved

Skyrim theme 3 years 45 weeks ago

this is so good :D

Athletic 3 years 45 weeks ago

Thank you so much for making this! Great game, great song. Hope to see more To the Moon stuff from ya!

For River 3 years 45 weeks ago

Dango Daikazoku 3 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks for your opinion, i will keep improving this melody, the next time i will try to let the notes ring i did not realize when recording but firsly i have to buy a good microphone for this.

Thankyou again

The promise 3 years 45 weeks ago

Prisoners of Fate 3 years 45 weeks ago

I am specifically looking for the lonlonjp version of this song.

Prisoners of Fate 3 years 45 weeks ago

seems a bit tricky but i'm going to keep working at it because I love this song, and its a great arrangement! keep up the good work

Athletic 3 years 45 weeks ago

Good tab! :-D

The triplet whole note is silly, but that's pretty minor. (Could be a dotted half, maybe.)

Market 3 years 45 weeks ago

Oh yeah, great tab by the way.

The Great Sea 3 years 45 weeks ago

Login or Register to remove this ad.